Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I'm sure it is affordable to carry millions of dollars in coverage only because it's very uncommon for that sort of coverage to actually be used in those countries due to the lack of ambulance chasing lawyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

veedubfreak posted:

As with most everything in the US, the people who really need good insurance (read: lovely drivers) don't carry it, or have the bare minimum.

Some fuckhead out here drove down the shoulder of 225 on Tuesday during rush hour, sideswiped multiple cars, caused 4 separate accidents, then abandoned the car at one of the light rail stations and got on the train. The car was registered to him. This is the kind of stupidity that makes me lose hope in the human race.

http://www.9news.com/story/traffic/2014/07/15/i-225-car-crash/12667445/

Yes but did he diffuse the bomb, save the girl, keep the bus above 60, get to the chapel on time, get the job!?!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

revmoo posted:

42 million in liability insurance has got to give an ambulance chasing lawyer a stiffy.
We don't have those here because it's all regulated in national law. If you get into a fender bender you tell the police and your insurance company. If there's a disagreement it's between your and the other person's insurance companies to duke it out. As long as you have the traffic liability insurance (which is mandatory) you're personally off the hook.

edit: I meant off the hook as in you don't need to do the legal fighting. If your side loses you still have to cough up the deductible.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 18, 2014

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

revmoo posted:

42 million in liability insurance has got to give an ambulance chasing lawyer a stiffy.

Good luck getting that out of the insurance's hands.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
My grandmother is on the hook for about 100 grand in medical bills above and beyond the insurance payout from the texting 20 year old girl who ran a red light and t-boned her at about 50 MPH.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Farking Bastage posted:

My grandmother is on the hook for about 100 grand in medical bills above and beyond the insurance payout from the texting 20 year old girl who ran a red light and t-boned her at about 50 MPH.

This is when you sue the gently caress out of someone, FYI.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chinatown posted:

That's just super, so now you're on the hook for medical bills and lawyer fees because the person you sued is even less able to pay you anything because they have their own lawyer to pay for.

Blood from a stone, etc.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

That's just super, so now you're on the hook for medical bills and lawyer fees because the person you sued is even less able to pay you anything because they have their own lawyer to pay for.

Blood from a stone, etc.

Go drive behind some busses and find one that will do it for cheap.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Chinatown posted:

If they don't have any recoverable assets (the vast overwhelming majority of 20 year olds don't), suing them not only won't make you any better off, it will actually leave you in a worse position because you'll be out your legal fees even if you win.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Are we still doing insurance chat in the mechanical failure thread? Neat.

I GIS'ed "failed bearing" and here's a result.

It's a mechanical component that failed.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Are we still doing insurance chat in the mechanical failure thread? Neat.

I GIS'ed "failed bearing" and here's a result.

It's a mechanical component that failed.

pshhhhhh. That has a few miles left in it, the bearings still stay inside the cage.

I took this inner pinion bearing cage out of a running driving vehicle. Rearend was reported to have made some ugly noises but it drove to where we pulled it out, then I dragged the axle home for parts and found this later.

That's how it was in there, I didn't smash it up for show. When I pushed the pinion gear in far enough to produce some clearance, it sounded like someone dumped a handful of gravel in my oil drain bucket from all the former roller bearings falling out.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

SlapActionJackson posted:

If they don't have any recoverable assets (the vast overwhelming majority of 20 year olds don't), suing them not only won't make you any better off, it will actually leave you in a worse position because you'll be out your legal fees even if you win.

Correct. My grandmother was driving a Ford panther. The impact was on the passenger side and caved the side of that loving tank of a car in 26" Drivers side would have probably killed her instantly.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Farking Bastage posted:

Correct. My grandmother was driving a Ford panther. The impact was on the passenger side and caved the side of that loving tank of a car in 26" Drivers side would have probably killed her instantly.

Sorry about your grandmother, now shut the gently caress up unless you're posting a picture of something that is both mechanical and broken

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Savington posted:

Sorry about your grandmother, now shut the gently caress up unless you're posting a picture of something that is both mechanical and broken

Who pissed on your cornflakes?
When the rain let's up I'll grab photos of my wife's radiator, still trucking along, cooling fine with about 1/2 - 1/3 of the fins on it. loving fiat abomination won't die, it's impressive.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

loving fiat
"She who must be obeyed" indeed.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Savington posted:

Can do..rear end in a top hat

This goddamned son of a bitch right here is the steering cylinder off my Deere 855. The cylinder itself was in decent enough shape, but the ball joint is welded to the end of it which failed. The loving thing cost $450 which didn't help my mood when I was removing it. the fixed end of it is pressed into such a location where you can't get a pickle fork in there. I had to stand on the front wheels with a 4 foot crow bar and a large hammer stuck down between the fan and the radiator and beat the poo poo out of it till it came loose.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Farking Bastage posted:

Can do..rear end in a top hat

This goddamned son of a bitch right here is the steering cylinder off my Deere 855. The cylinder itself was in decent enough shape, but the ball joint is welded to the end of it which failed. The loving thing cost $450 which didn't help my mood when I was removing it. the fixed end of it is pressed into such a location where you can't get a pickle fork in there. I had to stand on the front wheels with a 4 foot crow bar and a large hammer stuck down between the fan and the radiator and beat the poo poo out of it till it came loose.
Can you have it cut off and put threads on it to take an off-the-shelf ball joint instead?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Beach Bum posted:

The best part about this failure is that they drove the car to the shop :stare:

http://www.rent4ring.de/en/news/2012/600000kms-and-1-mechanical-failure.html

Spent some time bullshitting with these guys this morning, great place and if you ever make a trip I'd highly recommend renting from them.

Horrible failure of the human nature, as we were checking out a guy was sitting at the counter placing a call to the German police to report an incident. Bad news when the phone call goes like "Hi do you speak English? I'd like to report an incident." No sign of the car at the shop after so assuming pretty bad.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Can you have it cut off and put threads on it to take an off-the-shelf ball joint instead?

I have heard of people doing that, but considering that tractor is a 1988 model and it lasted this long, just bite the bullet and put another OEM one on there. The head end of it us right by the oil sump and is a whore to get at.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

NitroSpazzz posted:

Spent some time bullshitting with these guys this morning, great place and if you ever make a trip I'd highly recommend renting from them.

Horrible failure of the human nature, as we were checking out a guy was sitting at the counter placing a call to the German police to report an incident. Bad news when the phone call goes like "Hi do you speak English? I'd like to report an incident." No sign of the car at the shop after so assuming pretty bad.

My buddy Dale used to work there (I think he left like a week or two ago) and he always had amusing stories of inexperienced drivers on the ring.

My favorite so far has been:

Dale: WHAT HAPPENNED?

Customer(in all seriousness): I missed the jump!!

Dale: :psyduck:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
The...jump? :stare:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Godholio posted:

All roads have jumps, but I recommend only taking the ones with a feasible landing zone. :getin:

If I get home late enough that the roads are empty, my commute includes a stretch of road with 3 jumps in one mile.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Godholio posted:

Maybe he's talking about quiddlebacher hohe? I don't know how you could miss it, but cars can certainly catch air there.

http://blog.iso50.com/27911/quiddlebacher-hohe-pflanzgarten/

:black101:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Beach Bum posted:

The best part about this failure is that they drove the car to the shop :stare:

http://www.rent4ring.de/en/news/2012/600000kms-and-1-mechanical-failure.html

Holy poo poo, the best part about this failure is that they think the valvetrain (and probably more realistically, the bottom of the combustion chamber) did it.

I've always been impressed by the Rent4Ring Swifts, I remember reading one article from them awhile ago where they added up the maintenance requirements on the Swift and it was like "we can own and run ten Suzuki Swifts for the TCO of one E92 M3." I have no idea how to find technical articles on their website, all of their news is old. :( Suzuki should just give them direct sponsorship and tear the cars down at the end of a season, like the BMW Ring Taxi.

I'd be proud to rent one of those little fuckers.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 19, 2014

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFl4CjLdvMA&t=243s

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Weirdo Superman at 3:40

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Godholio posted:

He wrecked at adenau forest, after foxhole. So presumably he was planning on jumping that bit of green everyone cuts across on Gran Turismo. Either way, he ended up rolling the Rent4Ring car and walking away w/ a couple bruises.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Godholio posted:

I was going to say Flugplatz but clearly wasn't the case here.

But, yes, it's a loving jump.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

I was going to say Flugplatz but clearly wasn't the case here.

But, yes, it's a loving jump.

These cars look absolutely loving terrified.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

eurodixiehorn.jpg

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Yes please.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'd be proud to rent one of those little fuckers.

The Swifts are great fun and much better than I expected them to be. They have a little trouble on the long climbs, especially if you lose momentum before. Other than that we had a blast in the Swift and considered just running that both days. Steering, brakes and everything about the car is excellent and makes it fun to drive on the track. We ended up sticking with the 125i for day 2 and holy poo poo that's fun.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

eurodixiehorn.jpg

What would that be, "Wacht am Rhein"?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Gotta be the Dambusters March.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Someone really "jacked up" an airbus. :haw:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

"She who must be obeyed" indeed.

http://imgur.com/a/03XHC
Sample:

Currently this car is in better shape than my BMW.

a rowdy mullet
Feb 12, 2009

Well somebody certainly got fired for that one :stare:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

They were warned about those three point jack stands. :colbert:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

gently caress.

loving movers. That's a chunk of the crankcase of my Ducati.

The chunk that holds the kickstand on.

gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Only loving Ducati would attach the kick stand to the oil pan.