Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which PSX JRPG is the worst?
Final Fantasy VIII
Legend of Dragoon
SaGa Frontier
Legend of Legaia
View Results

• Locked thread
The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Also why isn't Wild Arms 2 on the poll, I loved that lovely game

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

it was a dollar on psn last weekend

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
the stick of truth is the recent good jrpg

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
i am with you, op. jRPGs own and people who don't like them do not own.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
It seems to me that they should have just stopped after Chrono Trigger because they weren't going to do better

Persona 3 is challenging my belief a little but it's flawed in a couple of ways, and after 68 hours I'm still not *quite* done with it which I'm worried will kill my interest in replaying it

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

StandardVC10 posted:

It seems to me that they should have just stopped after Chrono Trigger because they weren't going to do better

just because television peaked with "Thunder in Paradise" doesn't mean you can't enjoy shows on now

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
presona 3 is a little irritating because normal is too drat easy except superbosses and difficult is in an annoying balance between hard and party wipe because enemy AI decided to do something bullshit

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Persona 2 has some of the most boring combat I have ever tried. The series definitely got better as it went on.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Borsche69 posted:

The OP will never stop sucking of men's weiners.

Listen. If sucking wieners produced Chrono Trigger or Lufia 2 -caliber JRPGs, this would be a true statement.

Speaking of Lufia 2, I think it was the only time I ever felt anything but disappointment or apathy at the ending sequence of an RPG. I was surprised at how strong of a reaction I felt.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Widestancer posted:

Persona 2 has some of the most boring combat I have ever tried. The series definitely got better as it went on.

it has some of the best characters and concepts, and the worst goddamn gameplay

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Same OP.

I pre-order JRPGs, and buy them when I see them below $30 used even if I know they're poo poo.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Speaking of Lufia 2, I think it was the only time I ever felt anything but disappointment or apathy at the ending sequence of an RPG. I was surprised at how strong of a reaction I felt.

As a child it was fulfilling for me, but I discovered Gift mode on my rented copy and never cared about the main story line again.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

Also why isn't Wild Arms 2 on the poll, I loved that lovely game

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

fronz posted:

whats a good jrpg other than smt4 on 3ds

Fire emblem
EO4
Ds overclocked
Pokemon

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Breath of fire 3...

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Also, if you missed out on the DS era of JRPGs like me, then you can pick up and play those too.

Radiant Historia (For Story rather than Gameplay and Combat)
Strange Journey (So far my favorite SMT game)
EO 1 - 3 (Etrian Odyssey Untold Story is a 3DS remake of EO1)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I love the middle part of a JRPG, where you're just sort of cruising along from one plot point to the next, you're leveling up and unlocking new stuff to try out, maybe checking out a sidequest here and there. It's not the beginning when you don't have any interesting options yet and you're still getting tutorialed, and not the ending when it's making you go all out in every battle because of how real poo poo has gotten.

A good JRPG is just a really laid-back experience, switching between a goofy story with colorful characters and a gameplay system that's not trivial but not super deep either, like every part of the game is something that is fun enough to pay attention to when it's what you're in the mood for, but light enough to just skim when it's not. And everything wants to be Castle in the Sky.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I forgot to mention that they are also good because they have lots of numbers that you can make go up. Numbers Go Up is my favorite game.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Bongo Bill posted:

I forgot to mention that they are also good because they have lots of numbers that you can make go up. Numbers Go Up is my favorite game.

Yeah same.

You're spot on about the best part of a JRPG being the middle where there is no hand holding, and it not being the end because it takes focus or grinding. I absolutely love that middle and late-middle part of JRPGs, and I've really been delayed on starting The Alchemist at Dust even though it comes with very positive reviews because I can just sense a 10-15 hour commitment before I hit the part of the game I will find fun and engaging.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dragon Quest is the best JRPGs because that sweet spot in the middle starts as soon as somebody in your party learns Sleep and it lasts all the way to the final dungeon.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

tbh a lot of jrpgs are made for teenagers and young adults, doesn't mean that it can't be fun but it won't have the same charm at 28 than when it did at 14 years.

the last great jrpg I really enjoyed was radiata stories, everything else seems merely 'okay' so far

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008
I started to play persona 3 portable as the chick and the conversations bored the poo poo out of me. Also i think it started doing some dating-sim-do-you-like-me-senpai bullshit so i loving bailed.

Persona 2 was a slog, but it didnt try to get me to form an emotional connection with an anime and it also had hitler so yeah

Currently im still playing strange journey eventhough these mazes are starting to piss me off.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Wild Arms: Alter Code F is the best Wild Arms. It takes all the great updates from the later Wild Arms, and then updates the horrible battle graphics while keeping the same feel.

Play that poo poo.

Also, play loving Alundra if you like LoZ: aLTTP even one bit. It's an adult zelda game.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Is it fascism yet posted:

Fire emblem
EO4
Ds overclocked
Pokemon

Fire emblem sucks and pokemon is for children.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Ekster posted:

tbh a lot of jrpgs are made for teenagers and young adults, doesn't mean that it can't be fun but it won't have the same charm at 28 than when it did at 14 years.

the last great jrpg I really enjoyed was radiata stories, everything else seems merely 'okay' so far

hta t was a good game

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Biggie Shorty posted:

I started to play persona 3 portable as the chick and the conversations bored the poo poo out of me. Also i think it started doing some dating-sim-do-you-like-me-senpai bullshit so i loving bailed.

Persona 2 was a slog, but it didnt try to get me to form an emotional connection with an anime and it also had hitler so yeah

Currently im still playing strange journey eventhough these mazes are starting to piss me off.

the mazes get several time worse very soon.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

fronz posted:

pokemon is for children.

children are capable of enjoying good things

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
the ps3 is lousy with jrpgs and every one of them is lousy

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Kazvall posted:

It's an adult zelda game.

lol

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

BAH ON YOU. BAH!

The puzzles are for adults or very masochistic children. Like me.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

advance wars is better than fire emblem

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
advance wars is hard

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Borsche69 posted:

advance wars is better than fire emblem

oi hope they make a 3ds one

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Ekster posted:

Radiata stories owned and it's a shame Square stopped doing cool one-offs like that after the ps2. The last console JRPG I played that was actually good was Ni No Kuni and that started wearing out it's welcome by the end.

[e] Speaking of Square, what's going on with Dragon Quest? It feels like we haven't got anything for years outside the ios port of 8.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They're currently working on Dragon Quest XI for an unspecified home console.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

DrManiac posted:

Radiata stories owned and it's a shame Square stopped doing cool one-offs like that after the ps2. The last console JRPG I played that was actually good was Ni No Kuni and that started wearing out it's welcome by the end.

[e] Speaking of Square, what's going on with Dragon Quest? It feels like we haven't got anything for years outside the ios port of 8.

square didn't make that, tri-ace did, and they're still doing one-offs. they're not particularly cool tho.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
how about the new valkyrie profile game for the ds

Dec 26, 2012

hubris.height posted:

how about the new valkyrie profile game for the ds

honestly its not very good mechanically. i kinda liked the story though

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

stoutfish posted:

the mazes get several time worse very soon.

im in the second dungeon, how much worse does it get because i have died a lot trying to make it back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Iggy Koopa posted:

im in the second dungeon, how much worse does it get because i have died a lot trying to make it back

six to eight times worse, i'd say.

lol second dungeon is nothing.

• Locked thread