Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which PSX JRPG is the worst?
Final Fantasy VIII
Legend of Dragoon
SaGa Frontier
Legend of Legaia
View Results

• Locked thread
stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
there is this sector, called sector e.

that poo poo is hype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

01011001 posted:

honestly its not very good mechanically. i kinda liked the story though

yeah it was a mess mechanically. i intend to go back to it but not before i beat vp2 again because i want to be reminded of what made the series good.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

hubris.height posted:

yeah it was a mess mechanically. i intend to go back to it but not before i beat vp2 again because i want to be reminded of what made the series good.

it was pretty fun I thought. probably wouldn't replay it tho. I was thinking more of their ps3 games which I don't think anyone likes.

Dec 26, 2012

hubris.height posted:

it wasnt a mess, really, there just wasnt a whole lot there strategically and once youve figured out the general strategy its only difficult in a few spots

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
fair nuff

i went and looked up tri aces ps3 release

code:
Resonance of Fate: Released January 16, 2010
Star Ocean: The Last Hope International: Released February 4, 2010
Final Fantasy XIII-2: Released December 15, 2011[2]
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII: Released November 21, 2013[3]
rip tri ace

i thought reso of fat was held in high regard by people? i haven't played much of it but i am pretty sure i own a copy. 13-2 was real frustraingly bad and bland plotwise and the idea of time traveling mario-64 jrpg didn't work

still gonna buy 13-3 when its on sale for 20 or 30 bones this christmas

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

it is sad to hear that it gets 6-8 times more mazey because i love first person dungeon crawlers but i dont love getting lost lol

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
i should try starting resonance of fate again, but goddamn those are some lovely ps3 releases

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

DrManiac posted:

Radiata stories owned and it's a shame Square stopped doing cool one-offs like that after the ps2. The last console JRPG I played that was actually good was Ni No Kuni and that started wearing out it's welcome by the end.

Roboskin was so cool. Also being able to start fights by kicking people in the shin.

I never played it but saw it in one of my tips & tricks but I'd like to see a new Threads of Fate. Really anything from Square that isn't Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
kingdom hearts 3 is going to be the worst thing imaginable

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

stoutfish posted:

kingdom hearts 3 is going to be the worst thing imaginable

Kingdom Hearts problem is it got way to anime. As the series went on the plot got way more overly complicated and way more OC characters were added than Disney. It's a shame too because the actual gameplay part got better.

[e] If I ever make a fortune I'mma make a SMTxDic game series that's just heathcliff getting torn apart by demons.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
sora has more hearts than link

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i like kingdom hearts a lot and when my friends asked me how i could stand the story i just kinda chuckled because who the gently caress pays attention to the story in a square/disney crossover game, like seriously. no one does right guys? right!?!?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Iggy Koopa posted:

i like kingdom hearts a lot and when my friends asked me how i could stand the story i just kinda chuckled because who the gently caress pays attention to the story in a square/disney crossover game, like seriously. no one does right guys? right!?!?

The first one's plot was pretty simple. Then the spin-offs started happening and well..

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8cPyvE2GTjOMzE4MTVlZTctMjE5Yi00YzAzLWJjZTAtZTllODY2OTc2MTMx/edit?hl=en_US

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

yeah the first one had a buttload of unskippable cutscenes but at least it was kinda straight forward. i havent played birth by sleep or dream drop distance yet, im waiting for the HD thing for birth by sleep and i really oughta get a copy of dream drop distance

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Non gamer girls tend to enjoy Kingdom Hearts for some bizarre reason so there's that at least

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

non gamer girls i dont haveno time for, sorry ladies

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
why are levels even called dungeons anyway? usually they are caves or buildings anyway, no shackles or torture devices to be found.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

dungeons and dragons started the roleplaying thing, and stages or places you went and adventured were all just known as dungeons, and its stuck

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

as all anime is just feeble imitation of Golden Age Disney studio work so it makes sense for it to return to its roots just to destroy them, in a kind of patricide, finally complementing the other half of its 30-year oedipal drama

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
JRPGs are the worst subgenre of games because grinding is the worst mechanic in games. Worse than quicksave even.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i wouldnt go as far as to say anime is trying to be disney when the lion king, the movie that pretty much saved disney, was an unofficial unwarranted remake of kimba the white lion, an anime film

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Iggy Koopa posted:

i wouldnt go as far as to say anime is trying to be disney when the lion king, the movie that pretty much saved disney, was an unofficial unwarranted remake of kimba the white lion, an anime film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icVu-acHlpU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
enforced grinding is garbage but i like voluntary grinding that is not needed to further plot, but is there for rear end in a top hat like me who like to play while watching a movie or show because i am riddled with poor attention span and am mentally a childe (because i am playing increase numbers games)

Dec 26, 2012

Thug Lessons posted:

JRPGs are the worst subgenre of games because grinding is the worst mechanic in games. Worse than quicksave even.

the better modern ones usually dont require you to grind when playing on normal

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

01011001 posted:

and by that you mean basically all of them made in the last decade+

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

01011001 posted:

It still ruins everything even when it's not strictly necessary. Like grinding itself is stupid and boring but really all the gameplay consequences that flow from it are what makes it so bad.

Dec 26, 2012

straight jerkers posted:

and by that you mean basically all of them made in the last decade+

i do, honestly, its just that i still think of ps2 as modern sometimes due to being old

Thug Lessons posted:

It still ruins everything even when it's not strictly necessary. Like grinding itself is stupid and boring but really all the gameplay consequences that flow from it are what makes it so bad.

i think i understand what you mean but could you clarify it

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

01011001 posted:

i do, honestly, its just that i still think of ps2 as modern sometimes due to being old

modern just means "I still have the console" to me. so ps2+ for consoles and 3ds for handhelds

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I actually enjoy that part of RPGs when you get to a new town and see shops full of equipment upgrades you can't afford. When that happens, it's time to hunt the local wildlife until you are decked out in the local finery, and then go plunder caves or whatever where you'll undoubtedly find the gear you just paid money for, for free.

Grinding for its own sake is boring bullshit when you're in a strictly turn-based game without any dynamic elements, but in more active games I don't mind. I don't really remember the last time I had to grind in a game just to progress though, unless I'm doing a challenge like FF5 Fiesta.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

01011001 posted:

There's no consistent difficulty and even in games where grinding is 'unnecessary' you can still end up underleveled/overleveled just from regular play. It's impossible to balance because not all players play the same way. If you hit a hard part, you can trivialize it by grinding. Also other stuff that I don't feel like getting into but essentially, unlimited and inconsistent resources are a bad thing.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

The last JRPGs I played were Persona 3 and FFXII, both of those had grinding, not really sure where the "grinding doesn't exist anymore" thing comes from.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Crimson Harvest posted:

I actually enjoy that part of RPGs when you get to a new town and see shops full of equipment upgrades you can't afford. When that happens, it's time to hunt the local wildlife until you are decked out in the local finery, and then go plunder caves or whatever where you'll undoubtedly find the gear you just paid money for, for free.

Grinding for its own sake is boring bullshit when you're in a strictly turn-based game without any dynamic elements, but in more active games I don't mind. I don't really remember the last time I had to grind in a game just to progress though, unless I'm doing a challenge like FF5 Fiesta.

Yeah I agree with that, I don't even consider it grinding really.

Dec 26, 2012

Thug Lessons posted:

There's no consistent difficulty and even in games where grinding is 'unnecessary' you can still end up underleveled/overleveled just from regular play. It's impossible to balance because not all players play the same way. If you hit a hard part, you can trivialize it by grinding. Also other stuff that I don't feel like getting into but essentially, unlimited and inconsistent resources are a bad thing.

yeah thats what i figured you were getting at. its a fair point and i cant disagree from a game design perspective, the primary merits to it are assuaging a certain kind of persons desire to tune out and allowing poor players to proceed past obstacles regardless of skill

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Crimson Harvest posted:

[...]and then go plunder caves or whatever where you'll undoubtedly find the gear you just paid money for, for free.

This is why you don't grind or stockpile items you don't need. You upgrade what you can and make do with the items you find, and then you don't have to stop and fight pointlessly for an hour every time you get to a new town (or whatever).

Like almost none of the JRPGs I've played require any grinding at all, it's just people thinking they need to stockpile megalixers when it works as a perfectly good heal in any normal boss fight or having 99 of a basic healing item (wasting money on it) or whatever, and then other people thinking they need to do every other inane sidequest. The people that tend to complain about this poo poo are the ones that also try to do every possible sidequest in Xenoblade and then whine about it when it gets boring.

Grinding is for people who suck poo poo and don't want to think any harder than "hit with sword until dead."

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Phantasium posted:

This is why you don't grind or stockpile items you don't need. You upgrade what you can and make do with the items you find, and then you don't have to stop and fight pointlessly for an hour every time you get to a new town (or whatever).

Like almost none of the JRPGs I've played require any grinding at all, it's just people thinking they need to stockpile megalixers when it works as a perfectly good heal in any normal boss fight or having 99 of a basic healing item (wasting money on it) or whatever, and then other people thinking they need to do every other inane sidequest. The people that tend to complain about this poo poo are the ones that also try to do every possible sidequest in Xenoblade and then whine about it when it gets boring.

Grinding is for people who suck poo poo and don't want to think any harder than "hit with sword until dead."

Okay, if it sucks and is bad, then take it out of the game. For some reason JRPG devs haven't.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Thug Lessons posted:

Okay, if it sucks and is bad, then take it out of the game. For some reason JRPG devs haven't.

Whenever I go back to Taiwan most of the people I know there who play games are REALLY into grindy stuff. I've noticed this with other friends in some other asian countries as well. Maybe it's something they like there for some bizarre reason? I know that I'm like the only one in my family/circle of friends back in Taiwan who games who doesn't like the really grindy Korean MMO's and stuff like that.

Most of the popular Japanese mobile MMO's and stuff seem really grindy too. I think that grindiness has transitioned into JRPG's and I wish they would get rid of it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Thug Lessons posted:

The good ones figured out to do that like twenty years ago.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Widestancer posted:

Whenever I go back to Taiwan most of the people I know there who play games are REALLY into grindy stuff. I've noticed this with other friends in some other asian countries as well. Maybe it's something they like there for some bizarre reason? I know that I'm like the only one in my family/circle of friends back in Taiwan who games who doesn't like the really grindy Korean MMO's and stuff like that.

Most of the popular Japanese mobile MMO's and stuff seem really grindy too. I think that grindiness has transitioned into JRPG's and I wish they would get rid of it.

I've actually heard people complain that WoW makes leveling too fast because it means you fly through the content too quickly. But yeah I kind of think it's gotten worse that way too, I replayed Chrono Trigger a while ago and it's way less grindy compared to FFXII (clearly MMO inspired).

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
my JRPG history was basically all the good ones up until FF10, where i decided jrpgs were dumb trash and never played a JRPG again until FF13 came out and I was like, "maybe JRPGs are good again?" and then bought it because my brain is broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Thug Lessons posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, the better series have been trying to fix this poo poo for a while, it's just it usually gets tacked onto a game with other problems.

Like, FFXIII did a lot of neat things to get rid of tedium by making it so you heal fully after every battle and make it so you can't really ever grind... but then they made the game a long tedious corridor anyway so it became moot.

• Locked thread