Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

muscles like this? posted:

No, he just blew the helmet up.

Wolverine ends up cutting Magneto's head off shortly after this.

And if I remember right, literally one issue after Morrison's run finished, this was retconned :sigh:

I loved Morrison's X-Men run, if only for bringing in such a varied cast of weird/ugly/strange mutants to mingle in with the usual supermodels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I loved how he tried to make the X-Men a superhero Peace Corps. given how wide and varied their roster was by the early 00s. Of course that was backpedaled quite hard literally the issues after his run finished and totally demolished with House of M, but at the time I recall thinking it was a really novel idea that should have been done years ago.

I also maintain the dayglo leather jackets with the yellow X motif are the best uniforms the X-Men have ever had and ever will have, simply because it never has and never will make sense for them to dress like carnival freaks.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Jerusalem posted:

And if I remember right, literally one issue after Morrison's run finished, this was retconned :sigh:

I loved Morrison's X-Men run, if only for bringing in such a varied cast of weird/ugly/strange mutants to mingle in with the usual supermodels.

Wasn't Mags presumed dead before Morrison's run as well?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wasn't Mags presumed dead before Morrison's run as well?

Well, Morrison "killed" Magneto at the very start of his run with the destruction of Genosha.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

More during Morrison's run. During Cassandra Nova's attack on Genosha you see Mags before the giant gently caress-off Sentinel hits and he's counted among the dead all the way up until the X'orn reveal.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well yeah but I could have sworn that before his run was another one of Mags' totally final death you guys things.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 22, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I wouldn't know, Morrison's X-Men was honestly my first X-Men comic because--no joke--as a kid all the insanely colorful and busy 90s art confused the gently caress out of me every time I looked at it. Frank Quitely's simple compositions were the first time I ever felt I could visually understand an X-book. Anything that happened in the 90s is something I've learned after the fact and aside from Scott being possessed by Apocalypse and some messiah bullshit with Cable I don't know what the gently caress was going on immediately prior to Morrison's run.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well yeah but I could have sworn that before his run was another one of Mags' totally final death you guys things.

Nah, he just got stabbed, maybe crippled. Started collecting monthly X-Men with the arc before Morrison came aboard.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jerusalem posted:

It's not the fact they retconned it that's so annoying (because that was inevitable) as much as it's the fact that they couldn't retcon it fast enough.

Anyway, I'm fairly sure Magneto will be a full-blown supervillain again by the time AXIS goes through - my impression is that Marvel's trying to revert its X-continuity (at least) to something approximating 2003/04.

Die Laughing posted:

Nah, he just got stabbed, maybe crippled. Started collecting monthly X-Men with the arc before Morrison came aboard.

That's Lobdell's second run, which sets up how Magneto has kidnapped Xavier, crucified him in public, and marshalled an army of mutants to wage war against mankind, then it sort of peters out (because Marvel didn't want to delay Morrison taking over) and ends with Wolverine stabbing him in the stomach, putting him in a wheelchair and... his army all go home, I guess?

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 22, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He's already pretty much back to being a villain in his own book. Or at least a super dark anti-hero.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

He's already pretty much back to being a villain in his own book. Or at least a super dark anti-hero.

He's still only killed people that deserve it(IIRC)so he's still not a villain again yet, to me. We just need a Magneto/Punisher crossover.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Nobody's posted this from She-Hulk #6 yet?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 22, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Weird lips aside, that's probably how She-Hulk should look most of the time, as opposed to "Tall swimsuit model with green skin".

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That's one of the only depictions of She-Hulk I've seen where she doesn't have mega gigantic titties. :golfclap:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A-archie?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

zoux posted:

A-archie?

Man that zombie archieverse is weird.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Lurdiak posted:

Weird lips aside, that's probably how She-Hulk should look most of the time, as opposed to "Tall swimsuit model with green skin".

Meh kinda ignores the whole psychology of She-Hulk where Jennifer doesn't un-hulk often because Shulkie is her ideal self-image except green because Hulk.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So did anyone read Original Sins # 4 this week? The James Robinson story is REALLY awesome. He makes the words "Mr. Carmicheal, Enter!" incredibly Badass.

I'll post scans from it when I get home.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

SirDan3k posted:

Meh kinda ignores the whole psychology of She-Hulk where Jennifer doesn't un-hulk often because Shulkie is her ideal self-image except green because Hulk.

Yeah, gamma monsters are best when they're projections of the original person's psychology. Unfortunately it looks like they dropped that when everyone started getting hulk powers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

For sure, there's no way Thunderbolt Ross's mental image of himself doesn't include a mustache.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SirDan3k posted:

She's just became a lot more self confidant since then.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

SirDan3k posted:

I didn't even know she could de-Hulk. I've only seen her as the taller green version. I don't read anything with her in it however.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

IUG posted:

I don't read anything with her in it however.

The current series is fantastic. It's mostly superheroic lawyering, if that helps.

Her hulked out is that roided version. Normally she's a tall, green lady.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Okay, I read that post as "she doesn't de-hulk often because she's already her ideal", meaning the 7 foot tall version of her with green skin was her Hulk form. I thought that implied there was a Banner form with normal skin tone.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

IUG posted:

Okay, I read that post as "she doesn't de-hulk often because she's already her ideal", meaning the 7 foot tall version of her with green skin was her Hulk form. I thought that implied there was a Banner form with normal skin tone.
That's the way it used to work. I haven't followed the comic in quite a while, so I don't know what her deal is now.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
One Punch Man 49.

http://www.mangapanda.com/onepunch-man/49

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

IUG posted:

There is, she just rarely if ever returns to it. It was actually really progressive for the 80s when Reed Richards told her she could never return to her "normal" form again--she eventually could again, of course--and her reaction was simply "so?"

It's three stages:

1. Regular Jennifer Walters

2. Jennifer Walters as She-Hulk

3. Hulked-out She-Hulk.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I think I remember that one. Wasn't it something like she got captured by SHIELD for some random hulk reason and then had to fight some super intelligent cockroaches and ended up hanging out in the reactor too long? She absorbed too much radiation or something and was "stuck" as the She-Hulk.

I think it was around the time she was dating that Wyatt dude.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have an inkling that was from John Byrne's run in the late 1980s.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Martian Manhunter vs. Despero - last page of Best JLA #38

(unfortunately, Despero kicks J'onn's rear end immediately at the start of the next issue.)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Can someone post the Martian Manhunter doing something badass since every time I see him in anything, whether a panel thread or the JLA cartoon, he's just getting his rear end handed to him despite being as strong as Superman but with telepathy, shapeshifting, and incorporeality (albeit with a much more common weakness).

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

GrandpaPants posted:

Can someone post the Martian Manhunter doing something badass since every time I see him in anything, whether a panel thread or the JLA cartoon, he's just getting his rear end handed to him despite being as strong as Superman but with telepathy, shapeshifting, and incorporeality (albeit with a much more common weakness).

I'm thinking of the scene from Morrison and Quitely's "Earth 2" with him and Ultraman but I don't have a scan handy.

[edit] Thank you, Mister Mind.

Heresiarch fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 30, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Here's some badass Martian Manhunter

New Avengers #20.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

GrandpaPants posted:

From somewhere in Blackest Night

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Opopanax posted:

From somewhere in Blackest Night

I spent too long looking for that panel because I wanted to post it after this one. :(

(for Heresiarch)

Mister Mind fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 30, 2014

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Superman who has mind reading(sometimes controlling?), shapeshifting, and intangibility. Then again no freeze breath so that's probably why he sucks.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Here's some badass Martian Manhunter

New Avengers #20.

You'd think out of ANYONE in the marvel universe, Namor of all people would not be upset by hentai tentacles popping up out of nowhere.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chinaman7000 posted:

Superman who has mind reading(sometimes controlling?), shapeshifting, and intangibility. Then again no freeze breath so that's probably why he sucks.

There was an Image book a number of years ago called Dynamo 5 by Jay Faerber (which was pretty good, even though it didn't really have an ending), in whichthe five members of the titular team are the illegitimate children of a superhero who each got one of his superpowers: super strength; flight (at super speed); vision powers (heat, x-ray, telescopic etc); telepathy; shape-changing (apparently into anything, including animals). Seemed like a bit of an odd mixture to me.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Dude probably thinks it's that girl he dated in college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Injustice 16