Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Stay.

Is this another chance for Ser Diesalot to die?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
Stay a few days. Really, I just feel like getting the morale back up, though in a place like this, that might be a bit difficult.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Pack it up, we're broke as hell and need what little supplies we have to get to the next rathole. Viking Gandalf can find us on her own.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Stay, worked out great the last time we hung around for a couple of days to fight a delaying action against a massive swarm of Dredge, right?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Guys, we are out of renown and squatting in a town. Unless they've got quests for us to go collect 6 bear asses to gain renown, the supplies we have are all we're going to have. We need to leave before we begin to starve.

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

Stay, just for one day. I think Eyvind deserves that much, at least. His all-powerful rear end has done a lot to keep us alive.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
Leave. Given the state of the town, I doubt Juno would have stuck around either.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Stay for a day or two

Our morale is super hosed, we could use a brief reprieve anyway.

And man, it's a testament to how bleak this game is that I legitimately thought Krumr wasn't coming back. Any other game? I'd never assume that. Krumr is the best Varl :unsmith:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Captain Oblivious posted:

And man, it's a testament to how bleak this game is that I legitimately thought Krumr wasn't coming back. Any other game? I'd never assume that. Krumr is the best Varl :unsmith:

Note he still came back missing 4 Varl, who can never be replaced. :smith:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The funniest part about Krumr jaunting off is that even if you tell him 'Nobody's going anywhere' he basically goes 'Sorry if I wasn't clear but I don't really give a crap what you think' and jaunts off anyway. That man is going to be a badass whether you like it or not.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Rest overnight then leave.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Stay. Juno seems to know at least something we don't. If she is dead we are screwed anyway and might as well make a final stand.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Stay. Where else are you going to go?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Juno is dead. Supplies are low and this town is lovely. Leave.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Chewbot, do you think you can give a cliffnotes version of the development of this game from your perspective? Not asking to spoil anything, just your heroic journey.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Crane Fist posted:

Juno is dead. Supplies are low and this town is lovely. Leave.

And go where? Further south as we slowly die from lack of food and being picked off by dredge? We are vikings. We do not die like cowards. If, as it seems in this case, our deaths are assured, we should die with honor knowing that we took out as many dredge and sundre as we could.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Well how about going somewhere where the land makes it easier to fight and drop a mountain on Bellower. :allears:

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

BCR posted:

Well how about going somewhere where the land makes it easier to fight and drop a mountain on Bellower. :allears:

Nah can't do that. Serpent has a patent on mountain dropping. We may be viking warriors, but no one would dare provoke the copy-right lawyers.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

We can afford to stay a day or two.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
We have no idea where to go from here, and not many supplies to take us anywhere, so just Stay until either Juno shows up, or the Bellower shows up.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

ViggyNash posted:

We have no idea where to go from here, and not many supplies to take us anywhere

This is the stupidest argument! "We have no money! We're low on food! Instead of making use of what little food we have left, let's just sit on our butts and wait for it to run out! Then things will definitely get better!"

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Stay for as long as three days if necessary. If she doesn't come by then, all is lost and we must leave.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Leave, that Oddlief and Alette are unanimously against staying is a bigger red flag than our banner. We're low on supplies, we can wait somewhere that creepytown, Juno's smart, she'll figure out where a 600+ caravan went.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Honestly after playing through the game over the weekend I feel that ultimately the Varl are more inhuman than the dredge in that they seem to be nearly immortal, but can't reproduce etc. compared to the humans and dredge as they seem very static and unchanging and mostly dedicated to war, the only Varl non-combatant we see in the game is Ubin every other Varl fights. The scene with the Dredge baby was very powerful and one of the best "Oh poo poo" moments in my opinion in video game stories, and the buildup to the dredge not just being faceless monsters was executed very well.

Out of curiosity Chewbot you say the gods died around a generation or two ago? would this mean that Varl were being created as late as twenty-forty ish years ago, because most even youngish ones like Hakon seem to be around a century old compared to Kumr and Ubin who seem many hundreds of years old?

Another thing is the Banner Saga map is awesome, and probably and I loved hunting around reading the descriptions, it felt like a better executed version of the Mass Effect Codex.

Also next game I hope we see the Horse born, Centaur Mongols (at least that's what I got from map descriptions of them) sound cool

Finally, Rooks Caravan post-Frostvellr really feels like a fantasy version of Battlestar Galactica (the good bits about refugees fleeing from a seemingly invincible enemy)

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 22, 2014

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wasn't she much farther away from this town than our caravan when the dream happened? We have low supplies, leaving is the only sane option.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
C'mon guys, Juno said it herself. "Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth day, at dawn look to the east."

Stay for a bit

VVVV

I assume that was a joke, but just in case: I was quoting Gandalf. I don't think she gave us a timeframe.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jul 22, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
It's been well over 10 days since the message, so unless she meant 5 days after we arrived we're kinda screwed.

e: Yep, that was totally a joke I totally believed that.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 22, 2014

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Fat Samurai posted:

I assume that was a joke, but just in case: I was quoting Gandalf. I don't think she gave us a timeframe.
She didn't.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Coolguye posted:

She didn't.

Which considering she's dead was quite sensible, because who knows how long it takes to escape from the grave, which in her case is a floating building where you have portentous conversations with a giant murderous wyrm? Meanwhile back in the real world the dredge are closing in led by an unkillable monster with a grudge against us and we're hanging out in the arse-end of nowhere burning supplies in the hope Eyvind's lady decides to stop being dead and come find us? Even if she's arriving tomorrow or whatever she can catch up, being on her own and not slowed down by the weight of women and children who we are leaving in the path of the oncoming black tide on the basis that someone who's coming back from the great beyond itself might not be able to read a map and make an educated guess as to where we might have gone.

C'mon, people.

C...
Jan 22, 2008

Tootin the Doom Flute has led the Kingdom of Ankist into a new age of illumination. Every morning, people wake up and open palm slam a woodwind instrument into their mouth. It is the Doom Flute and right then and there they start playing the notes. They play every note, and they play every note hard
As I want to beat up some starving natives, I vote to stay .

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Stay.

I was never under the impression that Juno wasn't dead. When a posthumous spirit tells you to go somewhere for reasons relating to the end of the world, you drat well listen.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Voting is closed. We stay tonight.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

It was a contentious vote, but we're going to stay.

-5 Supplies

You wander onto a beach where some men have been waiting for you. Some terse words are exchanged about whether anything had been stolen or not. You don't see who draws the first weapon, but it stops the conversation cold.

Sigrholm is such a nice place.

Keeping Oddleif out of this one because fights against humans are bad news for archers, in my experience.

To the west, a single Backbiter. To the east, a Thrasher, two Raiders, a Raider Shieldsman, a Raider Veteran, and a Bowmaster. Six against seven.

The plan: Rush the east side, ignore the Backbiter until he starts poo poo.

The nice thing about human enemies is that they don't have the kind of Armor you see on the dredge. This guy is already next to useless.

And the same from Krumr! Two enemies cut down to critical Strength before they can act.

The Thrasher thrashes Iver for 2 Armor and 2 Strength lost. I should do something about that guy, and I will.

Ekkill's opening isn't quite as awesome, but what can I say? He's only human.

Wow, Iver is already taking damage. This is the problem with the rush strategy: Someone always gets mobbed.

Thrashers are bad news, even at low Strength. Now we're six against six.

Archers don't fare well in these sorts of fights, but I don't really consider Rook an Archer. He's a Rook.

Eyvind boosts Iver back up to full Armor, which should help keep him alive through this rush.

The Backbiter approaches. He won't be here next round, either.

Thanks to Rook's Armor destruction, Iver can still get some good hits in, even after all the damage he's taken. He could have even gotten a kill in, with his exertion, but I think the raider is more useful to me alive.

All Krumr could do right now is kill an already-weakened target, so instead he pushes Rook's turn up.

The two raiders with shields are stonewalling, so even with will burning, Rook's Armor damage is limited to... more than most of us could ever do to a real foe.

Thanks to the enemy clustering, Ekkill is able to get around the back and wreck the archer before her turn.

I think I need to start taking kills here.

Let's start with this guy, then.

I like killing people who just acted - it takes a long time for their death to have an impact on the turn order.

Nasty hit from the archer - dangerous at any HP total.

Sorry, Ekkill!

This was an even worse move than it looked like it would be, because I forgot about the drat Stonewall.

With his 3 Exertion and regenerating Willpower, Iver has a great role at low Strength as a secondary Armor shredder.

With the turn order starting to skew, this guy could've caused trouble, if The Baddest Varl hadn't been ready for him.

Stoneguard's down.

Ekkill just barely pulls off a kill.

Gunnulf doubles the damage he needed for his.

I'd be worried about this if we weren't about done.

Pillage start!

Close, but not enough!

Pillage end!

+9 Renown

No casualties.

-12 Supplies

All of that Renown goes right back into buying supplies.

Before today: 12 days of supplies, 0 Renown, no injured heroes.

After today: 12 days of supplies, 0 Renown, no injured heroes.

Still no sign of Juno.

Do we stay or do we leave?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Keep staying. It served us well when we were under siege by dredge, it'll work here.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Stay.

Three days and three nights we will stay here if necessary. If Juno doesn't show up by then, it'll be time to go.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Leave, this place is awful.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

stay, I mean do we really even have a destination at this point?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
It's the apocalypse, everywhere is awful. While we shouldn't throw lives away we ultimately can't hide from the end of the world. There's no immediate and pressing danger here and Juno remains our best (read: only) lead. Stay until circumstances force us out.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Stay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
We should throw away valuable supplies and probably get some useful characters killed as well for no reason!

GO AWAY

• Locked thread