Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
So Zach Braff claims that he had to Kickstarter his latest pile of twee garbage because nobody in Hollywood wants to make a movie about "irreverent secular Jews."

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

So since we're on the subject, in terms of accuracy, how does Waiting stack up?

I've never personally spat in someone's food, and too much of the kitchen could speak English, but that might be it being in the midwest slash being in a chain restaurant. Foreigners tend to be lovely tippers (Non americans, do guide books not spell this out? 15% is minimum unless the server is outright rude to you).

Also the sexual antics are there, but a lot more subtle, and conducted in Spanish (kitchen staff are complete perverts, I feel bad for female cooks). You wouldn't have that balls showing thing, instead they just describe sexual acts in incredibly explicit details and make comments about female customers.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That Zach Braff still exists is incredible.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Criminal Minded posted:

So Zach Braff claims that he had to Kickstarter his latest pile of twee garbage because nobody in Hollywood wants to make a movie about "irreverent secular Jews."

Yeah, Hollywood's fear of irreverent secular jews is why Seth Rogen is starving in a gutter right now.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

weekly font posted:

Any recommendations for a movie for a 13 year old who loved World War Z? I'm showing him Zombieland later but I'm blanking on anything else. The apocalypse is tough to do in PG13 I guess.

Children of Men. Either version of Wicker Man. Terminator 2. 12 Monkeys. Threads (1984). Some John Carpenter classics like They Live or Escape from New York?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Skwirl posted:

Also the sexual antics are there, but a lot more subtle, and conducted in Spanish (kitchen staff are complete perverts, I feel bad for female cooks). You wouldn't have that balls showing thing, instead they just describe sexual acts in incredibly explicit details and make comments about female customers.

I've only worked at two restaurants but I've never worked with any female kitchen staff minus the one woman who works the lunch shift doing the salad line at my current restaurant. And she's the wife of one of the two head cooks so needless to say she doesn't get hosed with at all.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Think about what you actually want to achieve in life. If it's just, I want a good job with good money, that's something to pursue I guess. But all my friends with successful careers don't consider that their 'achievement'. Most of the time it's poo poo they create that matters. Your job would probably be there without you, unless you start your own business in which case congrats, you've created something. Buy a notebook and draw every day until it's full, no matter how much you think it's not good compared to whatever standard you've got in your mind. Write stories, without caring about whether or not that poo poo could be printed somewhere. Try to create music, not for the purpose of showing off to other people, but for you to hear yourself. Make a simple tshirt design that appeals to you; print it for cheap; wear it because you like the design and it's yours. Come up with a simple story for a kids book and ask anyone you know who has a nice art style, online or off and no matter if it has 'mainstream appeal', to help you put together the story in 10-15 pages. Write letters. Exchange like a poo poo ton of letters with someone. Maybe someone who could do with a letter. Save them in a box.

Create something. When you have a booklet of small drawings, when you have a box of letters, when you have finished short stories, when you have a shirt of your own design, when you have a song you created out of thin air, when you see drawings of the kids story you came up with, they start feeling like achievements. Don't worry about quality. Think about creating. They wouldn't be there without you.

Works for me.

I've never been able to find a passion in life. I enjoy the usual diversions (games, movies, etc) but wouldn't want them for jobs because then they're unfun. Guess I'll keep working a dead-end job til I die of a heart attack at 50.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, Hollywood's fear of irreverent secular jews is why Seth Rogen is starving in a gutter right now.

I was actually reading an article earlier today on Grantland about the legacy of When Harry Met Sally (which I shamefully still haven't seen), and it was tracing the lineage from Woody Allen to the present day with guys like Seth Rogen and Paul Rudd (who I didn't know until today was Jewish), basically making the point that mainstream American comedy is and has been for a while now dominated by "irreverent secular Jews." So it was hilarious seeing that headline the same day.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

effectual posted:

Children of Men. Either version of Wicker Man. Terminator 2. 12 Monkeys. Threads (1984). Some John Carpenter classics like They Live or Escape from New York?

This reads like the Works Cited page for The Purge: Anarchy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

I've only worked at two restaurants but I've never worked with any female kitchen staff minus the one woman who works the lunch shift doing the salad line at my current restaurant. And she's the wife of one of the two head cooks so needless to say she doesn't get hosed with at all.

I was just guessing on that bit, there are women in my current kitchen, but I don't know if they get poo poo, I just know the waitresses have to deal with a lot, and I assume it's worse for the women back there all day.

What kind of place do ypu work, I've mostly worked in diners, but I started out as a busser at a fancy italian place. Your mentioning 300 dollar checks made me think you work at the latter.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Since my car was stolen, what are some good movies with car thefts?

Off the top of my head:

Big Lebowski
Die Hard 3
XXX

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Hewlett posted:

This reads like the Works Cited page for The Purge: Anarchy.

Which was dope as gently caress.

e: Seriously, a massive John Carpenter homage just came out in wide release in tyool 2014, how is CineD not blowing up about this

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Skwirl posted:

I was just guessing on that bit, there are women in my current kitchen, but I don't know if they get poo poo, I just know the waitresses have to deal with a lot, and I assume it's worse for the women back there all day.

What kind of place do ypu work, I've mostly worked in diners, but I started out as a busser at a fancy italian place. Your mentioning 300 dollar checks made me think you work at the latter.

Yeah it's an Italian place. Not like super high-end but pretty drat nice.

And no doubt the waitresses get all kinds of poo poo from the kitchen guys here. Though it's probably worse for our crop of undeniably attractive and very much under-legal-drinking-age hostesses. If one of them comes in wearing a tight dress the manager that night all but has to beat the male waiters away from the host stand with a broom.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

effectual posted:

Off the top of my head:

Big Lebowski
Die Hard 3
XXX
The Rock
Fast Five
Bourne Supremacy (he steals a cab in that, right?)
Blues Brothers (maybe, that was a stolen car, right?)

Also, sorry about your car, you might get it back, all 3 people I've known who've had their cars stolen, they were recovered, though in one case both axles were broken so it was a total loss. Still, 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Delzuma posted:

What are the best laughs in movies? So far I got:
Tom Hanks in The Money Pit
Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park
Arnold Schwarzenegger in Conan

Chris Cooper in The Muppets

Anything else come to mind?

A quick gag in Amelie
Another quick gag (later repeated) in Hot Fuzz.
Predator

penismightier posted:

My life rules. I'm that fat dickhead who destroyed a billion year old rock formation on a boy scout trip.

What/where? Not many billion year old formations exposed to the surface.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jul 22, 2014

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

effectual posted:

Off the top of my head:

Big Lebowski
Die Hard 3
XXX

Drive
Reservoir Dogs
Fargo
Terminator 2

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

effectual posted:

What/where? Not many billion year old formations exposed to the surface.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qicKWK5ZPJs

Delzuma posted:

What are the best laughs in movies?

Brad Pitt in Fight Club

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Which was dope as gently caress.

e: Seriously, a massive John Carpenter homage just came out in wide release in tyool 2014, how is CineD not blowing up about this

Branding is a doubled edged sword.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

CloseFriend posted:

Holy poo poo, I am touched that someone likes my drawings enough to want to see them! Well, far be it from me to hold out. Here's a Humans of New York subject I just finished…

Nice, didn't know Nick Kroll lived in New York.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

:negative: gently caress those assholes. God drat, defacing geologic wonders like that should be a capitol offense. Anyone know how stuff like that was formed? The mountain area of the US (before the mountains formed) used to be similar to the Mediterranean Sea. Then all the oceanic plates crashed into the US and raised/combined with the land.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Skwirl posted:

Foreigners tend to be lovely tippers (Non americans, do guide books not spell this out? 15% is minimum unless the server is outright rude to you).

It's not that we are lovely tippers, it's just that Americans are lovely employers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It's not that we are lovely tippers, it's just that Americans are lovely employers.

No doubt, but something something, social contract, local customs.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Criminal Minded posted:

Which is strange, since on his Kickstarter he claimed he wanted to raise the money so he could get to make the movie he wanted to make and have it exist outside of the studio system. He can't even get his own story straight. Man, to think that I used to like Garden State. When you see it at a very particular age and at a particular time it seemed almost profound. I could barely make it through again (Even though Peter Saarsgard is great in it) when I tried watching it recently.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Food service is a living nightmare.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I want to make a movie about working in a comic book store that has nothing to do with comics and is entirely about having your dreams torn asunder and slowly hating everything you once loved.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Literally The Worst posted:

I want to make a movie about working in a comic book store that has nothing to do with comics and is entirely about having your dreams torn asunder and slowly hating everything you once loved.

It's too bad you weren't around in the 90s.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Get a DSLR and a mic and go nuts

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

morestuff posted:

It's too bad you weren't around in the 90s.

I agree it's too bad I didn't go on a murder spree.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

You need to work on being more positive. It'll make you happier.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mechafunkzilla posted:

You need to work on being more positive. It'll make you happier.

Happiness and joy are lies.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Happiness and joy are lies.

Naw. Life is good. You'll figure it out eventually.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Sometimes life is good and sometimes life is bad IMHO.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I think life seems better than the alternative.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Life is death. Darkseid is.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

I agree it's too bad I didn't go on a murder spree.

I was thinking of the Clerksplosion of aimless 90s workplace movies, but this works too.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

FishBulb posted:

I think life seems better than the alternative.
False dichotomy. :colbert:

Happy Fun Bollocks
Aug 4, 2007

by Ion Helmet
Existence is suffering and the only things binding me to it are cowardice, self-deception and greed.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zss1EHSuT1A

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Dickeye, find some sort of volunteering that you can do between your job hunt. It will look good on your resume, it will keep you occupied and mind off of not having a job, you can work on networking through other volunteers for a job, and it is rewarding.

Fat Lou fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Criminal Minded posted:

Does anyone have primo recommendations featuring reverent secular jews?

• Locked thread