Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Does Marco Rubio always sound like such a sniveling little piece of poo poo? I heard him talking about immigration reform and how he's a "21st century leader" and blah blah blah on NPR this morning and it was amazing how thin and transparent and cowardly the dude sounded, even over a pre-recorded, softballed radio interview
Yeah he always sounds like that.

I'm trying to find out more about this "wage credit" he is pitching to replace the EITC with, I strongly suspect it will screw over the poor or at least be a bigger handout to the rich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Let's throw media spotlight onto white dudes shooting mexican children with ar-15s, also my plans for appealing to minority voters are

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Does Marco Rubio always sound like such a sniveling little piece of poo poo? I heard him talking about immigration reform and how he's a "21st century leader" and blah blah blah on NPR this morning and it was amazing how thin and transparent and cowardly the dude sounded, even over a pre-recorded, softballed radio interview.

I caught the tail end of it yesterday (I'm sure it was yesterday) so I'm sure I missed a lot but I didn't realize it was Marco Rubio until he signed off. Based on what he said I really don't see how he could ever win an election because the right would slaughter him in the primaries. His only option would be to pull a Romney and go hard right in the primaries and be unable to backpedal afterwards.

Wasn't he essentially murdered by the tea party following the 2012 election for suggesting Amnesty?

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 22, 2014

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I have a high school classmate who's a Computer Science guy at Stanford who self-identifies as "liberal" in the American sense, but loves Ron Paul and Bitcoin and was :qq:ing hard over Satoshi getting outed earlier this year.

Who the gently caress is Satoshi?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
^ He is (they are?) the psuedononymous inventor of Bitcoin. Satoshi's identity has not been confirmed, which made the whole thing very hilarious to see when everyone was freaking out about it.

--

@WSJPolitics
NEW: Federal appeals court tosses IRS regulation allowing subsidies for health insurance bought on federally run exchanges. Story soon.

I think this is a bad thing for ACA proponents, but I'm not sure why or how bad.

Edit: "Dissent in appellate court decision vacating key part of Obamacare tells the story:" https://twitter.com/froomkin/status/491590270786752512/photo/1

Nybble fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 22, 2014

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nybble posted:

^ He is (they are?) the psuedononymous inventor of Bitcoin. Satoshi's identity has not been confirmed, which made the whole thing very hilarious to see when everyone was freaking out about it.

--

@WSJPolitics
NEW: Federal appeals court tosses IRS regulation allowing subsidies for health insurance bought on federally run exchanges. Story soon.

I think this is a bad thing for ACA proponents, but I'm not sure why or how bad.

This ruling is just utterly insane.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nybble posted:

--

@WSJPolitics

Edit: "Dissent in appellate court decision vacating key part of Obamacare tells the story:" https://twitter.com/froomkin/status/491590270786752512/photo/1

Doubt that goes anywhere.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

mcmagic posted:

This ruling is just utterly insane.

Which will no doubt be ultimately upheld in a 5-4 decision. Alright then, let's completely ruin the lives of 5 million Americans, sounds good. Don't forget to vote Republican in November!

Edit: They're pretty open about it too.

quote:

"We reach this conclusion, frankly, with reluctance," the panel majority said. "At least until states that wish to can set up exchanges, our ruling will likely have significant consequences both for the millions of individuals receiving tax credits through federal exchanges and for health insurance markets more broadly."

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nonsense posted:

Doubt that goes anywhere.

We'll see what President John Roberts has to say about that.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My understanding is that the White House would request an en banc ruling, which features a larger panel than the three appellate judges in this asinine decision. This larger panel has much better math for them as it has a majority of Democratic appointees. Not sure where it goes after that (SCOTUS?).

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

max4me posted:

Thank you I feel bad having someone do the homework for me. No he isnt rich but I guess I am native in the hope that if the issues are given just alittle bit honest debate the black white obama bad world view can come to the service. I luck with another family member about point number five explain the POW situtation just just back off and said she was sick of hearing about it.

Not at all, and if you noticed I included some dog-whistle about your uncle being racist because the root of those complaints boils down to racism because obviously a black man in the white house is doing illegal poo poo. Not that there aren't valid things to complain about with Obama (drones, response to OWS, ACA having no single payer, NSA, crackdown on whistle-blowers) but those complaints are dealing with what he's done as president, not who he is or what color his skin is. Dog-whistling calling someone racist is actually a great tactic since they pick up on all the dog-whistle that gets thrown around the right wing and you're not actually coming out and saying they're racist, so it's not like they can get offended unless they give up the game.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 22, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Roberts already upheld the law once, he'd be loathe to gut it now.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

My libertarian friend said he understands why unions aren't necessary because he worked a minimum wage job once painting houses therefore everyone should make 2 dollars an hour after min wage is abolished(while he is conveniently getting a law degree care of the GI Bill).
Joke's on your friend he'll be back to painting houses in no time (lawyers are a dime a dozen and can't find work nowadays, because everyone went to school to become a rich lawyer then the market tanked in '08. Free market!)

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

Roberts already upheld the law once, he'd be loathe to gut it now.
Let's hope that either you're right or that one of the five dies of natural causes before it comes to SCOTUS.

It's not unethical to wish for the natural death of non-elected officials with lifetime appointments, right?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Let's hope that either you're right or that one of the five dies of natural causes before it comes to SCOTUS.

It's not unethical to wish for the natural death of non-elected officials with lifetime appointments, right?

Short of revolution, John Roberts will serve on the SCOTUS til at least 2040.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

iamnotcreative posted:

Not exactly Texas, but this will probably cause a bit of a right wing freakout

http://www.toledonewsnow.com/story/26076395/working-class-whites-lose-voting-dominance-in-ohio

I'll admit I touched the poop a bit in comments there, I'm wondering how many thumbs up my Toledo1488 comment will get and if it'll be removed.

It's rated +5.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Nonsense posted:

Short of revolution, John Roberts will serve on the SCOTUS til at least 2040.

And everyone knows that Scalia won't die until you destroy his phylactery.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Nybble posted:

--

@WSJPolitics

This means that half the states can no longer provide subsidies to people through healthcare.gov, if I'm reading this right. If this is upheld, then... that's really very bad.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'd have to think that the Obama admin knew the ruling as soon as they saw that the court was two Republican appointees and have planned accordingly.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Healthcare costs would skyrocket since millions of people receiving health insurance would no longer be able to pay for them. It would be catastrophic.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

This ruling just proves things are so polarized right now that if you shop around enough you can find a sufficiently partisan judge to back you on anything. It requires "the State" to only mean state level governments and not its dictionary definition of "the government" in general and requires the authors of the law to have designed the law to be inoperable, which is an insane read of anything.

En blanc, this won't stand as it got punted by other courts already, SCOTUS I really doubt Roberts will give them two bites at the apple

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Would the Supreme Court even bother taking it, or will it go en banc, overturned, then not even heard at the SC?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

radical meme posted:

Do the math and prove it. Otherwise, I stand by my "you're an idiot". I'm not talking about doing a stoner road trip. I've done plenty of those. I'm talking about actually traveling coast to coast and visiting Cities along the way where you get to know people other than your road buddies. Show me the math and prove I'm wrong.

Just by example, Motel 6 costs $40 per night and that awesome Irving Hostel someone mentioned has a price tag of $57 per night. (Ooops, I missed one in Irving that actually goes for $28.55 a night).

When I did it, we had tents and used campgrounds. We also rigged up the back of our truck so we could sleep in that too if we had to. What are we debating again?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

silvergoose posted:

Would the Supreme Court even bother taking it, or will it go en banc, overturned, then not even heard at the SC?

My bet is that it'll go en banc, get overturned, then finally die when it's denied cert.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

ComradeCosmobot posted:

My bet is that it'll go en banc, get overturned, then finally die when it's denied cert.

Yeah that's what I meant.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

LOL the Obama Administration just said they aren't stopping the subsidies.

"They've made their decision, now let them enforce it"

I know it's going to be a "until x" thing and not a "gently caress off thing" but still

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
This should be OK. It will be appealed to the full 11 member circuit, where Obama has four appointees and it is majority democratic appointees.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Fried Chicken posted:

This ruling just proves things are so polarized right now that if you shop around enough you can find a sufficiently partisan judge to back you on anything...

Do Republicans politics ever get better, or is there always more and always worse?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I wish these things didn't come down the political party involved in appointing the judges.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So ultimately what it boils down to is more "gently caress the poor because we hate Obama more than we care about you"

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

Nybble posted:

I wish these things didn't come down the political party involved in appointing the judges.

The world would be so much better if it worked this way, wouldn't it?

On the other hand, it would be less predictable.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So ultimately what it boils down to is more "gently caress the poor because we hate Obama more than we care about you"

The Republicans have been campaigning on that platform since he got nominated so yeah.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I bet this will be upheld by SCOTUS in a 5-4 decision.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

It's amazing how nakedly partisan the ruling is. "The State", has meant the government since time immemorial, but "state's rights!!!" :freep: Guess all legislation will have to read "the state or federal government" now. In which someone challenges at a municipal level.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Inglonias posted:

Do Republicans politics ever get better, or is there always more and always worse?

Eh, things right now look like the Age of Jackson wrt American politics, and in the long run that turned out ok.

Of course in the short run we had the civil war

Anyways, since there is no point fretting over this, here is more information about how multinational enterprises are taxes then you could ever possibly want to know. https://www.jct.gov/publications.html?func=download&id=4656&chk=4656&no_html=1

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

I know it's going to be a "until x" thing and not a "gently caress off thing" but still

As they should. It's pretty much a given that it'll be reversed on the en banc review, so stopping them until then would just needlessly hurt millions of people.

Ted Cruz already put a statement:

Rafael Edward 'Ted' Cruz posted:

The D.C. Circuit's decision today in Halbig v. Burwell is a repudiation of Obamacare and all the lawlessness that has come with it," said Sen. Cruz. "The Obama Administration, through the Internal Revenue Service, has attempted to dispense revenues to the states without proper congressional authorization, robbing Congress of its constitutionally-provided power of the purse. This decision restores power to Congress and to the people and if properly enforced, should shield citizens from Obamacare's insidious penalties, mandates, and subsidies. This is a significant victory for the American people and the rule of law, but we must not rest. Americans will continue to lose jobs, pay higher premiums, and receive fewer healthcare choices because of this disastrous law. Every last word of Obamacare must be repealed to restore jobs, growth, and opportunity in our country.
Yes, we must protect the people from those insidious subsidies! How dare the government try to help people afford health insurance!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

How many laws would this gently caress with if they all suddenly had to be amended to read "the state or the federal government"?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Fried Chicken posted:

For a moment I thought that was what they actually said and that would have been a pretty clear loving constitutional crisis.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

How many laws would this gently caress with if they all suddenly had to be amended to read "the state or the federal government"?

Well as a sovereign citizen the Magna Carta states that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
This sort of poo poo is why I wanted to kiss Harry Reid when he finally took the nuclear option on judicial appointments. The DC Circuit is one of the big sticks that the GOP was planning to use to wreck poo poo up, and that's not possible now.

• Locked thread