Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which PSX JRPG is the worst?
Final Fantasy VIII
Legend of Dragoon
SaGa Frontier
Legend of Legaia
View Results

• Locked thread
Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Thug Lessons posted:

I've actually heard people complain that WoW makes leveling too fast because it means you fly through the content too quickly. But yeah I kind of think it's gotten worse that way too, I replayed Chrono Trigger a while ago and it's way less grindy compared to FFXII (clearly MMO inspired).

I just finished FFXII IZJS using the english translation patch and IZJS fixes some of the grindiness a bit so at least the somewhat are aware of it (mainly by making gambits all available at the start and a few other quality of life improvements).

There is a HUGE focus in Japan on mobile gaming; when I was there last freaking everyone was playing tablet and mobile games or on a Vita/3DS. It looks like some of the less insufferable JRPG's have ended up on the Vita/3DS and I think that might be why. The mobile games I tried with the people I stayed with were REALLY grindy though. Mobile gaming makes a HUGE profit off of being grindy and using microtransactions to bypass that so I think that's also a factor since they are TOTALLY willing to shell out for that poo poo. It's like Americans and Farmville but with animes instead of cows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
did it fix the hour long optional bosses in which you watch gambits execute and grab the remote in a panic if you need to fix a thing

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I really wanted to like 12 but I just couldn't get into it. Is this other version a lot better?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

hubris.height posted:

did it fix the hour long optional bosses in which you watch gambits execute and grab the remote in a panic if you need to fix a thing

The one thing about it I dislike is the "invincibility" that some of the optional bosses get as a "balance"; removing the damage cap makes most endgame stuff move WAY faster though

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Widestancer posted:

I just finished FFXII IZJS using the english translation patch and IZJS fixes some of the grindiness a bit so at least the somewhat are aware of it (mainly by making gambits all available at the start and a few other quality of life improvements).

There is a HUGE focus in Japan on mobile gaming; when I was there last freaking everyone was playing tablet and mobile games or on a Vita/3DS. It looks like some of the less insufferable JRPG's have ended up on the Vita/3DS and I think that might be why. The mobile games I tried with the people I stayed with were REALLY grindy though. Mobile gaming makes a HUGE profit off of being grindy and using microtransactions to bypass that so I think that's also a factor since they are TOTALLY willing to shell out for that poo poo. It's like Americans and Farmville but with animes instead of cows.

Yeah I've heard a bit about this microtransaction stuff. I've heard of this one Japanese Chunsoft-style roguelike where you can gamble on your games but that might only be in arcades, not sure if it ever made it to mobile.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

The Sharmat posted:

I really wanted to like 12 but I just couldn't get into it. Is this other version a lot better?

i beat the final boss without even realizing he was the final boss. i was expecting like a third form or something but nope roll credits.

balthier and fran could do with a standalone game, though.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Action Tortoise posted:

balthier and fran could do with a standalone game, though.

I thought FFXII demonstrated that Japanese fans just cannot play a game without a pubescent protagonist

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

IIRC they were originally going to cast Basch as the protagonist but focus groups led to Vaan who let's be honest isn't even the true protagonist which makes the game even weirder

IZJS is a huge improvement and watching Fran tank everything as a Breaker is kinda funny

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I can't believe they actually used "it wasn't me, it was my evil twin" as a plot element though. I thought Basch was way cooler when he came across as a fanatical nationalist that murdered his king for daring to surrender

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Widestancer posted:

IIRC they were originally going to cast Basch as the protagonist but focus groups led to Vaan who let's be honest isn't even the true protagonist which makes the game even weirder

IZJS is a huge improvement and watching Fran tank everything as a Breaker is kinda funny

It was so bizarre how we don't even see Vaan until like 45 minutes into the game. FFXII probably has the worst writing of any FF I've played.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

The Sharmat posted:

I thought FFXII demonstrated that Japanese fans just cannot play a game without a pubescent protagonist

If anything Ashe should have been the protagonist but the game never bothered to center on a particular character. Vaan only gets more screentime because he's a player surrogate and everyone pretty much treats him as dead weight early in the game.

FF6 didn't have a main main character as well and I think that was more successful than 12.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I actually kinda like the faux-shakespearian dialogue though

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Why was Penelo even a thing past her kidnapping idgi

Still I enjoyed IZJS and just kinda ignore the plot and run around and break poo poo; this might be better if it weren't a final fantasy though somehow.

Part of the fun of JRPG's for me was breaking them into a million tiny pieces and the older ones certainly delivered on that

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Widestancer posted:

Why was Penelo even a thing past her kidnapping idgi

At the end Vaan and Penelo become a sky pirate duo like Balthier and Fran. They're supposed to be like foils for each other.

I liked FFX's weapon customizing because you could settle with making decent alternatives to the ultimate weapons if you don't care to press X 200 times in the Thunder Plains.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Action Tortoise posted:

press X 200 times in the Thunder Plains.

I can't do this at all in the HD remake because of the timing issues with HDTV's :negative:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

At the end Vaan and Penelo become a sky pirate duo like Balthier and Fran. They're supposed to be like foils for each other.

The writers really didn't do much with them even though they had every opportunity to

I feel this could be said about FF12's writing in general

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
didn't it have really bad problems during development or something and ended up with like 4 different head writers or some poo poo?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
so i got the ffx hd remake for ps3 for 20 bucks, what is the difference between the two versions of ffx-2 and ffx? should i just play the second version that is probably the international version?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I think Legend of Dragoon is my FF7. It's difficulty was perfect for dumb kid me and it might have been the only multi disk game I came close to beating. I still remember a lot about it even though I haven't played it in years like the rad boss themes or how to do the gust of wind dance right.

[e] Also it did the killing of party members thing multiple times.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

hubris.height posted:

so i got the ffx hd remake for ps3 for 20 bucks, what is the difference between the two versions of ffx-2 and ffx? should i just play the second version that is probably the international version?

FFX-2 had a game breaking bug in the original version that made it possible for you to abuse the gambler roulette and yuna's gun sphere. You would roll all 7's on the gambler which would cause a buff and Yuna would be holding onto a special item. After Yuna was hit with a super strong attack she would be down to minimum HP at that point you use her Gun sphere special and mash the shoulder buttons to fire and you could get 25 attacks in a single turn that hit for 99999 each.

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008

stoutfish posted:

there is this sector, called sector e.

that poo poo is hype.

I think I am on d now. I hope e is as hype as you claim, because c and d haven't thrilled me.

Dec 26, 2012

Biggie Shorty posted:

I think I am on d now. I hope e is as hype as you claim, because c and d haven't thrilled me.

e is probably everyones least favorite sector because of one specific part

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
JRPGIHKAL: Tales of Destiny, Dragon Quest VIII, Disgaea, Lost Odyssey, Ys, Wizardry: TotFL

these are the only jrpgs i would ever consider playing all over again (tho not lost odyssey - it's a hella good story but the actual game itself is bleeeeaargh)

A cool damn horse
Jan 25, 2009

Persona 4 was the first non Pokemon or fire emblem jrpg i've really ever played and I thought it was pretty cool and nice. Not sure if I could play through it again though anytime soon though.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I feel like I should get some playstations to play the Persona games. All the talk makes it sound like I'm missing out.

All I've got are a Wii and DSi so not a lot of jRPGs happening here.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

The Taint Reaper posted:

FFX-2 had a game breaking bug in the original version that made it possible for you to abuse the gambler roulette and yuna's gun sphere. You would roll all 7's on the gambler which would cause a buff and Yuna would be holding onto a special item. After Yuna was hit with a super strong attack she would be down to minimum HP at that point you use her Gun sphere special and mash the shoulder buttons to fire and you could get 25 attacks in a single turn that hit for 99999 each.

so yes i should play the second edition on the disk?

i started playing alchemist of dusk last night and its visually impressive and starts kinda slow but so far i'm kinda digging it

yes play persona games but if you don't like jrpgs and can't handle them being unpleasant in some regards, just play persona 3 or 4

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
my favorite part of parasite eve was transferring over all your upgrades from gun to gun and armor to armor until you got the gun and armor you could carry into NG+ so you had some crazy exploding poison shotgun pistol that gave you three turns by the time you hit the Sears Tower.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I just finished Dragon Quest 4 on the DS, it was quite good. Chapter 5 didn't have any kind of grind at all, for money or levels. There was a lot of fighting, but never just for those resources.

Next up...

Finishing the FF6 mod/hack I was playing? Brave New World.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.

Axel Serenity posted:

I feel like I should get some playstations to play the Persona games. All the talk makes it sound like I'm missing out.

All I've got are a Wii and DSi so not a lot of jRPGs happening here.

Persona is pretty good anime, so if you're into anime go4it.

The only time ive seen persona was when the really fat black guy had his ps2 hooked up in the dorm lobby.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm getting this FFXII IZJS acronym thing

what am I in for that's so different form the base game?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

The Sharmat posted:

I'm getting this FFXII IZJS acronym thing

what am I in for that's so different form the base game?

a job system (one time pick for each character), no damage cap, a fast forward button, respawning chests

katanas can be any element now

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Hog Butcher posted:

no damage cap

loving finally

Job system sounds good too. FFT was my favorite FF.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
do not make bad decisions because you can never change jobs ever

this isn't a big deal unless you want to do superbosses low effort though, i think even a 3 time mage team can do everything

edit: you can control all party members. this is not new. but now it includes guests and espers

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jul 23, 2014

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't really care about doing super bosses tbh

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Just use a save editor if you gently caress up

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
is there any class that's just out and out bad?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

The Sharmat posted:

is there any class that's just out and out bad?

Not really. Because they have longer animations for guns and bows Balthier and Fran are respectively the worst with each but only by a tiny bit

Make Fran a breaker and do whatever with everyone else imo

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Widestancer posted:

Not really. Because they have longer animations for guns and bows Balthier and Fran are respectively the worst with each but only by a tiny bit

Make Fran a breaker and do whatever with everyone else imo

it is a difference of frames but it's funny that the two characters who use the weapons ingame are the worst with them

monk vaan is sick as hell, so's red mage vaan

vvvv owned

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
the two people that start with those weapons are the worst to use them?

oh, Japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lordspam
Mar 20, 2007

curvy robot girlfriend
Lunar Silver Star Story was kinda cool

• Locked thread