Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The Saban issue strikes me as similar to the thing where companies have to defend every usage of their copyrighted materials, because if they don't they risk losing it. Not sure if it applies to something more nebulous like a pastiche or not, though.

greatn posted:

Speaking of In Space, does Lost Galaxy really take place the next year? Is there some assumed period of a few years peace to give Earth time to build Terra venture out of reverse engineered technology of quantron and cog ships and the astro mega ship, make a museum, and presumably have Mitchell building the aquabase and the rescue zords?

Or is the answer "Its a kids show, they built that fuckin city sized spaceship in two months".

I recall reading a behind-the-scenes thing (I've linked to it in this thread, I think) in which the writer(s) thought about this, adding in some throwaway lines about reverse engineering. The higher-ups got wind of it and slapped down a No Connections To Earlier Series edict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If it was 5 - 10 years that would help explain Tommy's doctorate and archaeology career as well as Spike and various other things.

Also poor California would get a break.

MisterBibs posted:

I recall reading a behind-the-scenes thing (I've linked to it in this thread, I think) in which the writer(s) thought about this, adding in some throwaway lines about reverse engineering. The higher-ups got wind of it and slapped down a No Connections To Earlier Series edict.

Other than Bulk, Phenomonous, Astro Megaship, and Alpha 6? Unless you mean LSR which I guess had no direct continuity other than the team up.

greatn fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 21, 2014

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Yeah I think the reverse engineering thing was for Lightspeed Rescue not Lost Galaxy.

Lost Galaxy was basically their sendoff to full continuity.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

If anyone's debating on going to Power Morphicon this year, you really, really should go.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

If anyone's debating on going to Power Morphicon this year, you really, really should go.

I am really hoping for a photo op with all three: Austin, Steve and Yuuta

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So I've been watching Lightspeed Rescue. Two things:
1) If they did the entire long combining sequence for the rescue megazord every time I would not mind at all. It's so cool and ridiculous.
2) Captain Mitchell is Ron loving Swanson, but with a cool scar.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

greatn posted:

So I've been watching Lightspeed Rescue. Two things:
1) If they did the entire long combining sequence for the rescue megazord every time I would not mind at all. It's so cool and ridiculous.
2) Captain Mitchell is Ron loving Swanson, but with a cool scar.

Lightspeed was actually the first season of Power Rangers I actively watched. I had seen the occasional episodes of older stuff and owned a handful of VHS tapes...but Lightspeed was my jam. I always wanted a Supertrain toy and never got one :( (I did end up with all 3 main mechs from Time Force though).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

jivjov posted:

Lightspeed was actually the first season of Power Rangers I actively watched. I had seen the occasional episodes of older stuff and owned a handful of VHS tapes...but Lightspeed was my jam. I always wanted a Supertrain toy and never got one :( (I did end up with all 3 main mechs from Time Force though).

I woke up super early and watched the original Power Rangers before going to school.

It aired at 7 am for about a year or so and then moved to 3 or 4 pm.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

jivjov posted:

I always wanted a Supertrain toy and never got one :( (I did end up with all 3 main mechs from Time Force though).

I had a friend who had one. It was pretty awesome. And also loving HUGE. Like 2-2.5 feet tall I think. :iia:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
There really is something to be said for continually cranking out seasons every year for successive generations of kids...I was a too young for the original Mighty Morphin (and probably a bit too old of Lightspeed), but even though I didn't get in at the ground floor, I'm still a huge fan of the franchise.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Lighstpeed was my first season too, then I fell off the wagon around Olympius coming back, joined for Ninja STorm, then left for Operation Overdrive. Now I'm back.

Power Rangers Fandom: Don't Forget, You're Here Forever.

Also, still no Mystic Force guests :sigh:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Solaris Knight posted:

Lighstpeed was my first season too, then I fell off the wagon around Olympius coming back, joined for Ninja STorm, then left for Operation Overdrive. Now I'm back.

Also, still no Mystic Force guests :sigh:

The vast majority of the main characters were either Kiwis or Australians. I mean, when four of the five rangers are Aussies then it's a bit expensive to fly them out for a con.

Adjunct Cheesecake
Mar 19, 2009

mmmmmm

Solaris Knight posted:

To me, one of the things that made getting back into it easier is that instead of approaching it as having 17 seasons worth of the same plot arc to catch up with, going through a bunch of standalone seasons with 20 or 30 something episodes each didn't seem anywhere near as daunting. On the other hand, catching up with just 4 seasons of Teen Wolf (another show I've gotten into) seems like it has no end in sight.

Mostly unrelated: for some reason, the theme song for Jungle Fury is stuck in my head.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Popping in for a season here and there seems pretty natural for Power Rangers. If a season doesn't appeal to you, there are no consequences for skipping it.

I watched every episode of MMPR through Zeo, checked out for Turbo, then came back for In Space, and got hooked again by SPD, Mystic Force, and RPM, with nothing in between but a few random episodes to see if the seasons I missed were worth watching.

Being a casual fan of the show instead of a die-hard, gotta-watch-every-episode fanboy means I enjoy it more and grant it a lot more leniency when it doesn't reach its full potential.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

I'm actually the continuity fanboy when it comes to PR, so while I do appreciate stuff like self contained seasons, the fact that even Megaforce can't keep that continuity straight activates my :spergin: senses. That's why the movie maybe taking place as a part of the PR universe as a whole instead of being a reboot makes me happier.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Adjunct Cheesecake posted:

To me, one of the things that made getting back into it easier is that instead of approaching it as having 17 seasons worth of the same plot arc to catch up with, going through a bunch of standalone seasons with 20 or 30 something episodes each didn't seem anywhere near as daunting. On the other hand, catching up with just 4 seasons of Teen Wolf (another show I've gotten into) seems like it has no end in sight.

Mostly unrelated: for some reason, the theme song for Jungle Fury is stuck in my head.

Jungle Fury's theme is really catchy. Mystic Force's theme is abysmal.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

As someone who unironically liked the Pirate Rap, god, gently caress Mystic Force. At least Overdrive's theme is somewhat catchy in a bad way, not boring nurap.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Solaris Knight posted:

As someone who unironically liked the Pirate Rap, god, gently caress Mystic Force. At least Overdrive's theme is somewhat catchy in a bad way, not boring nurap.

You're...you're not talking about the One Piece rap, are you?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

jivjov posted:

This was pretty much me when I was younger as well (like, seriously, including the 'wanted Lightspeed megazords, got all the time force ones instead' bit).

The standalone stuff in general also helped the show whenever it wanted to start from whatever ground it wanted to, without needing to wrangle in an explanation on how exactly say, the rangers from Lost Galaxy super sped back to Earth to pick up demon fighting, for example.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Some Numbers posted:

I'll admit I kinda like it too for pure kitsch factor

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Ninja storm had the best theme.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Ninja storm had the best theme.

Wrong!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFu2EIj5b20

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I recently caught myself singing the opening lines to Dino Thunder, despite not watching it in years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXVuLnnQ5X0

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Wild Force has always been one of my favorite themes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGJ6Y91VrrA

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Some Numbers posted:

The One Piece rap owns.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I started watching Jungle Fury today because I had nothing better to watch on Netflix at the moment. It seems like a pretty okay series, RJ is a great character and I think the sunglasses morphers are kind of neat. I'm not sure why they were so intent on hiding Dai Shi's face when it was pretty obvious that he's in Jarrod's body (I only know that's how his name is spelled due to Netflix).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

mikeycp posted:

The One Piece rap owns.hing

Maybe in an ironic way on its own, but it doesn't go with One Piece at all and is a brilliant summation of everything that was wrong with the 4Kids dub.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Slashfilm posted:

New ‘Power Rangers’ Movie Will Share Continuity With Original TV Show

If you spent days and weeks of your life watching Mighty Morphin Power Rangers as a kid, that knowledge is about to pay off. In a new interview, the producer of the recently announced new film, Roberto Orci, said the upcoming film is not a reboot. It will, in fact, share continuity with everything that’s been set up before it. Read his full quote and some more details below.

Orci was talking to IGN when the topic of new Power Rangers movie continuity came up:

One of the first things we did was learn and read… They have 600 pages of research that they have on their stuff. We read through the synopsis of everything they did and we are actually taking into account quite a bit of the canon in a real way. We’re not just a leave it behind reboot. [Haim] Saban cares very much about that. This is something that he created. I had to go to his house, personally, to tell him, “Listen, I’m your man. Miller and Stenz, these are your guys. I promise you I won’t ruin your franchise.” And he said, “It’s very important to me, because kids around the world know what the Power Rangers are. So you can’t just come in here and walk all over it. It better be consistent with what I’ve been doing.” And I said, “Yes sir!”

They then asked about there being a possibility of cameos from some of the original cast:

Of course. That’s something we want to rely on the Saban group to tell us. They have a lot of internal knowledge of their franchise and we’re just learning now. We’ve seen it only as fans, but they actually know it inside and out, so I’d love to know what fans want to see.

I’m sure this is music to the ears of Power Rangers fans, who maybe saw the names Roberto Orci, Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz and were like, “They want to bastardize our franchise.” That’s obviously not the case. Then again, some fans would argue Orci did just that – unintentionally of course – with Star Trek, Transformers and Spider-Man. We’ll have to wait and see what the fruits of the labor end up being.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha this has gone from cool reboot to clusterfuck so fast.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
This is always what Orci does. If I'm recalling right, he's the one of that pair that adds in all the stupid callbacks and continuity references, which go from neat little things (the Enterprise NX-01 model on Peter Weller's desk in ST:ID) to ripping off scenes wholesale from earlier movies in the franchise (the rest of ST:ID, big swathes of the Transformers movies) regardless of if they make sense, and cramming in plot McGuffins and props that have no reason for being there or being named what they are in that film.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

He's only executive producer, so hopefully his influence won't be that strong.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

He's only executive producer, so hopefully his influence won't be that strong.

Let's see that hope turn to ash when the trailer features a 'Zeo Crystal' that doesn't behave anything like the crystal from the show. And is the wrong size and shape. And isn't a crystal. (See the Matrix of Leadership from TF2. Which looks barely anything like the version from the original movie, and has nothing really to do with leadership.)

Adjunct Cheesecake
Mar 19, 2009

mmmmmm

Twelve by Pies posted:

I started watching Jungle Fury today because I had nothing better to watch on Netflix at the moment. It seems like a pretty okay series, RJ is a great character and I think the sunglasses morphers are kind of neat. I'm not sure why they were so intent on hiding Dai Shi's face when it was pretty obvious that he's in Jarrod's body (I only know that's how his name is spelled due to Netflix).

The essence of Jungle Fury, distilled into one sentence.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

According to people on the show floor, a second wave of Ranger Keys that are Sixth Ranger and female based is coming this fall. Looks like it's time for me to pony up for a Legendary Silver Morpher. Bad news: Titanium Ranger and Jungle Fury Wolf Ranger are Morphicon exclusive for now. Dricera is purple!

http://news.tokunation.com/2014/07/23/sdcc-power-rangers-update-19450

http://news.tokunation.com/2014/07/23/sdcc-2014-additional-ranger-keys-come-19493

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So it was announced at comicon that Zyuranger is gonna get a commercial US DVD release. So crazy.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Given the current situation in Gaza, I can't support JewRanger.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

mateo360 posted:

Wild Force has always been one of my favorite themes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGJ6Y91VrrA

Almost there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNmV2_uhPFI

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

The essence of Jungle Fury, distilled into one sentence.

RJ is great, gotta be one of my all-time favorite Zordons.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
There's a reason I will defend Jungle Fury. It's the Stoner Ranger.

Your Sledgehammer
May 10, 2010

Don`t fall asleep, you gotta write for THUNDERDOME

greatn posted:

Given the current situation in Gaza, I can't support JewRanger.

:golfclap:

I ended up starting Jetman ... I'm only 4 episodes in, and this is already great. If only Saban/Disney/Nickelodeon/whoever would have plotlines involving someone leaving someone at the altar and then stealing a motorcycle so they can go fight.

I just watched episode 14 and holy poo poo. It's a series that certainly knows how to have fun/be goofy (the episode about the Blood Diamond is great if you haven't gotten there yet), but I wasn't expecting this much drama this early. When it is trying to be fun, it is consistently funnier than the other Sentai I've seen so far, and when it is trying to be serious, it's more dramatic than pretty much anything else that I've seen, including season ending arcs. I'm seriously impressed, and I'm somewhat at a loss as to what I'm going to watch next. I hear Maskman is good...??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

jivjov posted:

So it was announced at comicon that Zyuranger is gonna get a commercial US DVD release. So crazy.

I'm just glad I downloaded G.U.I.S.'s excellent subtitled episodes awhile back. I'll be picking up Zyuranger on DVD though, provided they don't, well, gently caress up the subs. That's a real deal-breaker for me on any foreign release.

I loved Zyuranger, and am disappointed that it is underrated within the fandom. Then again, I love dinosaurs, fairy tales and hammy villains (especially of the evil witch persuasion) so I'm pretty biased. (I've noticed Dairanger is much more popular but I never understood the love that show gets. Didn't like it much, especially the unsatisfying finale.)

It'd also be cool if Kakuranger gets released, as it might be my favorite Sentai. Good thing G.U.I.S. finally finished subtitling that show as well.

Yes, I love ninjas as well, so now you know where "Ninjasaurus" comes from.