Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I only drink from my city's marginally unsafe water supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I drank a yard of margarita and wandered onto the Vegas strip at noon during my honeymoon.

I proceeded to sleep away the heat exhaustion I immediately contracted.

I also drank a lot of soda in Vegas.

Soda is fine in moderation, maybe.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Drinking soda in hot weather is a bad idea.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

TrixRabbi posted:

Slice of life: I'm on Day 4 of quitting soda cold turkey and I already feel so much healthier, but I'm constantly craving a Diet Coke. And it doesn't help that my family keeps like six 2-liters of the stuff in the house at all times. I've already reached into the fridge and started unscrewing the cap before realizing what I was doing.

When people say junk food is addictive they aren't joking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu3_2w4ff6Q

Jay Dub posted:

Personally, I think that's a better hook than :byodood:WHAT IF YOU COULD USE 100% OF YOUR BRAIN?

The first trailer I saw for Lucy made it look like an awesome body horror film, and then midway into the trailer it was like "SHE CAN USE MORE THAN TEN PERCENT OF HER BRAIN!!!!". I instantly lost interest.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I'm going to laugh so loving hard if the big twist in Lucy is just "oh poo poo she was really just amped up on super-meth the whole time and hallucinating"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Drinking soda in hot weather is a bad idea.

I can't stand anything that has that syrupy taste when it's hot.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I'm going to laugh so loving hard if the big twist in Lucy is just "oh poo poo she was really just amped up on super-meth the whole time and hallucinating"
Maybe she'll be like Fortune from MGS2 and she'll have these powers that can be deactivated at any moment and near the end of the movie she becomes totally powerless when a switch gets flipped.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I can't stand anything that has that syrupy taste when it's hot.

Same, and all it does is make you thirstier anyway.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Same, and all it does is make you thirstier anyway.

You'd be surprised how hard it is for some people to believe that.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

CPL593H posted:

You'd be surprised how hard it is for some people to believe that.

Sodas don't actually dehydrate you, though.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

morestuff posted:

SEE!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Snopes, but:

quote:

Regular coffee and tea drinkers become accustomed to caffeine and lose little, if any, fluid. In a study published in the October issue of the Journal of the American College of Nutrition, researchers at the Center for Human Nutrition in Omaha measured how different combinations of water, coffee and caffeinated sodas affected the hydration status of 18 healthy adults who drink caffeinated beverages routinely.

"We found no significant differences at all," says nutritionist Ann Grandjean, the study's lead author. "The purpose of the study was to find out if caffeine is dehydrating in healthy people who are drinking normal amounts of it. It is not."

The same goes for tea, juice, milk and caffeinated sodas: One glass provides about the same amount of hydrating fluid as a glass of water. The only common drinks that produce a net loss of fluids are those containing alcohol — and usually it takes more than one of those to cause noticeable dehydration, doctors say.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Well caffeine is a diuretic so in the long term you will probably need to just drink something that is more water based so that you're not pissing neon. But no, it's not like you immediately become parched following a Dr. Pepper.

e: Yeah, what that guy said pretty much. More highly concentrated urine is basically the only thing and soda is baby food in that department compared to coffee or alcohol.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Well either way, if it's really hot I prefer to drink water. I don't drink very much soda anymore in general and what little I do has no caffeine. I used to drink about 3 cans of Coke a day for years and then one day I just couldn't stand the taste of it anymore and I stopped. It loving ruined my teeth though, they're not rotted or anything, but they're permanently stained. Basically, gently caress soda.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah, I prefer water, too. Exceptions made for Mexican Cokes.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So has anyone else seen Venus in Fur because I kind of really want to talk about this movie. Out of all the movies I saw yesterday it's the only one that's really stuck deep in my mind all day and the more I think about it the more interesting it is.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

My anatomy professor was this adorable little old octogenarian and man he was just the best. I'll never forget when we were doing the excretory system and he talked about how coffee and alcohol could lead to highly concentrated urine which could evolve into kidney stones. Dude always had a giant coffee in his hand during lecture and inevitably someone playfully called him out on it. He creeps over to his bag and pulls out this giant Nalgene bottle of water and announces, "DILUTION IS THE SOLUTION!"

I thought it was just a funny moment but then when I TAed for him the next year the exact same thing happened and I realized he's probably been setting that joke up every year for 50 years.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

Sure, but water is actually satisfying. If you're doing anything more involved than flipping burgers on a grill, water is the way to go.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

weekly font posted:

My anatomy professor was this adorable little old octogenarian and man he was just the best. I'll never forget when we were doing the excretory system and he talked about how coffee and alcohol could lead to highly concentrated urine which could evolve into kidney stones. Dude always had a giant coffee in his hand during lecture and inevitably someone playfully called him out on it. He creeps over to his bag and pulls out this giant Nalgene bottle of water and announces, "DILUTION IS THE SOLUTION!"

I thought it was just a funny moment but then when I TAed for him the next year the exact same thing happened and I realized he's probably been setting that joke up every year for 50 years.

That owns, I'd set that joke up too.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Sure, but water is actually satisfying. If you're doing anything more involved than flipping burgers on a grill, water is the way to go.

Yeah, I'd agree again, but it boils down to preference not science.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Beer is the most satisfying. Geez

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

FishBulb posted:

Well now I'll never not hear your posts as Homer Simpson.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

FishBulb posted:

Beer is mostly lame. Mixed drinks is where it's at. Old Fashioneds, Fitzgerlands, etc. Water too with the rare pepsi. AND SHAKES!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Gatts posted:

Beer is mostly lame.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Gatts posted:

Beer is mostly lame. Mixed drinks is where it's at. Old Fashioneds, Fitzgerlands, etc. Water too with the rare pepsi. AND SHAKES!

Do you live in the 1940s?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Don Draper sure is a cool guy who gets lots of women, GIVE ME AN OLD FASHIONED, BARKEEP. *slaps waitress on the rear end*

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I tried an Old Fashioned once and I hated it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So this has just been like an entire day when gen chat has been having dumb arguments about how their personal taste is somehow the correct taste to have even though, especially when it comes to food and drink, that's something that just plain varies from person to person without much that person can do about it, right?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I like an old fashioned too but beer has it's place.

weekly font posted:

Well now I'll never not hear your posts as Homer Simpson.

I have a couple more hairs then him and I don't weigh 239 lbs (any more)

axleblaze posted:

So this has just been like an entire day when gen chat has been having dumb arguments about how their personal taste is somehow the correct taste to have even though, especially when it comes to food and drink, that's something that just plain varies from person to person without much that person can do about it, right?

First day online?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'll actually admit to being a drinker of Old Fashioned but that's one of those drinks like the martini that goes into chili territory where everyone's an rear end in a top hat about what goes in it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I'm the guy that orders White Russians because of The Big Lebowski and also because they are tasty.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I'm the guy that orders White Russians because of The Big Lebowski and also because they are tasty.

I order White Russians exactly like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBeaee0GBJg

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
WEDDING TALK:

The DJ played the goddamned Armageddon song even though he was told specificially not to do so!!!

I loving HATE THAT SONG.

Oh, and it actually rained (sprinkled) in July in California immediately prior to the ceremony.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

SALT CURES HAM posted:

This is how I see myself.

This is probably closer to reality.

okay so maybe this...

weekly font posted:

Don Draper sure is a cool guy who gets lots of women, GIVE ME AN OLD FASHIONED, BARKEEP. *slaps waitress on the rear end*

:cry:

But really beer tends to feel heavy. Great Lakes are good but outside of the midwest it's kinda meh here in Texas for beer.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Alec Eiffel posted:

WEDDING TALK:

The DJ played the goddamned Armageddon song even though he was told specificially not to do so!!!

I loving HATE THAT SONG.

Wedding DJs are loving terrible. They don't give a poo poo.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Alec Eiffel posted:

WEDDING TALK:

I loving HATE THAT SONG.

Oh, and it actually rained (sprinkled) in July in California immediately prior to the ceremony.

My friend's wedding DJ was a total dick about not playing certain songs but at least listened when his wife said she'd cut his balls off if he played The Electric Slide or Chicken Dance.

Oh and congrats/condolences on being married.

e: it's like rraaaaaiiiiiiin

weekly font fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 24, 2014

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Alec Eiffel posted:

WEDDING TALK:

I loving HATE THAT SONG.

Gotta pay extra to keep them from playing poo poo. A friend once told me that his family members take turns paying off the DJ to not play Angie by the Rolling Stones at family weddings. It's loving extortion.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I was at an awesome wedding this last weekend and the groom made his own playlist and it was movie themes. Jurrasic Park, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Lawrence of Arabia, Back to the Future, etc. It was classy and cool.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I made my own playlist and supplied it to the DJ too.

But it wasn't full of nerd bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Gatts posted:

I was at an awesome wedding this last weekend and the groom made his own playlist and it was movie themes. Jurrasic Park, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Lawrence of Arabia, Back to the Future, etc. It was classy and cool.

How the gently caress did anyone dance.

• Locked thread