Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006

Badfinger posted:

Cannot believe Frank Schleck is in the top 10 GC, even with all the abandons.

It's a mistake from the provisional classification, he is actually 13th at GC, Schleck needs to gain 5 minutes to enter Top 10 + the time he will loose at the TT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

It's cute that Mollema and ten Dam are so close in the gc again this year.

Also I probably won't get to watch tomorrow, ffs

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Any word yet on what, if anything, Majka's dumbass antenna grab is going to cost him? Today was one of those days were a vague lingering dislike of a cyclist turned into full "please get banned" mode for me. Just about everything about him rubs me the wrong way.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Antenna grab looks pretty innocent.

He should pay a hefty fine for winking at the camera though.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Pretend I posted that picture of him with the massive track mark in his vein.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Wooglin
Sep 5, 2002

Mr.Nice posted:

:siren: Queen stage and last mountain climb of this tour :siren:

So why do the NBC Sports guys keep saying Stage 17 was the queen stage? I'm much more likely to believe you but just curious if there is a split of opinion

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Proper stage this. I hope Eurosport player works for once :argh:

GC is over barring some hot piss but I'm hoping the pinot/bardet battle continues and valverde does his amazing trick of having his team mates up the pace and then being the first person to get dropped again.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Proper stage this. I hope Eurosport player works for once :argh:

GC is over barring some hot piss but I'm hoping the pinot/bardet battle continues and valverde does his amazing trick of having his team mates up the pace and then being the first person to get dropped again.

ITV player will work just mute the drat thing.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Yeah this should be a great battle for podium but I think Ag2R is going to prioritize Peraud over Bardet, he is only 4 sec behind Pinot and is better at TT.

Wooglin posted:

So why do the NBC Sports guys keep saying Stage 17 was the queen stage? I'm much more likely to believe you but just curious if there is a split of opinion

The definition of queen stage is : the stage of a multi-day road race which includes the highest point reach of the whole race. Also usually, but not always, the hardest stage of the race.
Technically the queen stage should have been stage 14 with Lautaret and Izoard (highest point) but that stage was in the 2nd week, probably too soon in the race to really call it a Queen stage.
Stage 17 was 3 cat.1 + 1 HC climb, Stage 18, today is 2 HC (+ 2 cat.3), I find today is a little closer to the definition and the climbs are more prestigious than yesterday but it's open to interpretation.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

serious gaylord posted:

ITV player will work just mute the drat thing.

Not on my phone and work internet has a habit or freezing up as soon as anything interesting happens.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Not on my phone and work internet has a habit or freezing up as soon as anything interesting happens.

Local council's internet brutally negging you.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Local council's internet brutally negging you.

They've got it on most of the tv's just not any i can see from my desk :negative:

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Thanks for explaining what 'queen stage' means, I'm sure there's some old-school explanation of where it came from but it's one of those weird Euro cycling things that I'm still picking up even after years of watching the TdF.

Just finished watching the Dauphine, that was interesting! but I don't know if there can be any surprises left in this year's Tour...can there?

And also by accident I'm wearing my Mellow Johnny's shirt today (I know, Armstrong hate and all that but it's a cool shop still)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

krushgroove posted:

Thanks for explaining what 'queen stage' means, I'm sure there's some old-school explanation of where it came from but it's one of those weird Euro cycling things that I'm still picking up even after years of watching the TdF.

Just finished watching the Dauphine, that was interesting! but I don't know if there can be any surprises left in this year's Tour...can there?

And also by accident I'm wearing my Mellow Johnny's shirt today (I know, Armstrong hate and all that but it's a cool shop still)

The only way the winner changes now is if Nibali dies. He'll add another minute onto Valverde today and then just trundle up to the finish.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006

Stage 18 of the Tour de France has started.

http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2014/us/live/aso/

http://www.cyclingfans.com/tour-de-france/live
http://www.steephill.tv/tour-de-france/#live
http://www.procyclinglive.com/livestream/

krushgroove posted:

You are welcome, probably not for any big surprises left, only the Polka dot jersey may change if Rodriguez win today.
Hopefully there will be a big battle for the podium, between the 2nd and 5th there is only 2min.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I saw the Tour in person on the Tourmalet just above where they are riding right now. Indurain won that year. :corsair:

edit. I guess it wasn't lined with campers back then

Withnail fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 24, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
There goes Porte out the back again!

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Dropping like flies drat

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

There goes Porte out the back again!

The camera bike racing through traffic to get near enough for a labelled close-up of Porte dropping off the back was hilarious. Every day - whoever the TV director is must be finding it hilarious.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

If Nibali wins today, Majka needs to be 6th or better over Tourmalet

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I love the motorbikes clearing the road of dancing idiots.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
lol at Voeckler getting a sticky water bottle without the bottle.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
"getting the big legs"

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.

Hegay posted:

If Nibali wins today, Majka needs to be 6th or better over Tourmalet

Majka really wants his car so he should be going for it. I wonder in how far Nibali will respond to it..
e.: not not, do nothing why don't you
e2: O right, there weren't any points left. :downs:

Punc fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 24, 2014

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Big attack by Valverde.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He's going for it. The motorbike's struggling.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Peloton is close, 15sec, but he got 2 teammates at the front to help now.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Mr.Nice posted:

Big attack by Valverde.

The way he blew past Pinot was ballsy.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He's not got enough, won't even last until the start of the climb.

edit - Might not last the next 30 seconds.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

goatface posted:

He's not got enough, won't even last until the start of the climb.

edit - Might not last the next 30 seconds.

Yeah, caught now.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That is another lovely looking river. I do like the rivers in the Pyrenees.

They're going to catch the break about a 1/4 of the way up.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

JJ rojas disqualified

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011
So, Rojas ejected for hanging onto a car?!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Slipstreaming I think.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Peleton really chasing. Nibali going for the stage victory?

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

scaevola posted:

So, Rojas ejected for hanging onto a car?!

NBC said "sheltering behind", so I think just drafting for too long.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Nibali getting ready to kick the poo poo out of everyone.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Withnail posted:

Nibali getting ready to kick the poo poo out of everyone.

He'll beat Valverde by a minute. Nothing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
What the hell Horner