Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

Tab8715 posted:

How long did you stay at Rackspace?

On the subject of salary chat, there is no guarantee that a specific title will pay X amount. IT Job Titles are so vague they're nearly meaningless. System Administration at one company could entail completely different job duties at another. If anything, post the actual job ad with assigned duties - then ask about compensation.

Just a touch over a year.

Also yes to everything else you said - even within the same company. I interviewed for a couple different "Systems Engineer II" positions while at Rackspace, and the job descriptions were wildly different. One of them was basically a more technical sales engineering position, while the other was building automation tools for a VMware environment. What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I finally fell asleep on a short conference call. A lot of people have those stories of 8 hour long calls with long pauses where you fall asleep, but I managed to fall asleep on a 16 minute phone call. As soon as one person started talking, I knew he was going to do that thing where he recaps, meticulously, at a very slow pace, things which everyone on the call knows. So I just laid down on the floor. Woke up as everyone else started piping up to get off the phone. Nice.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

evol262 posted:

Honestly, if you already know Python, I'd spend your time getting better with Python. It's one of the languages which is pretty much guaranteed to have bindings to every useful library in Linux (especially because it's one of the preferred languages both at Red Hat and Google, and we make an effort to include python bindings in everything we do). Perl and Ruby are ok. Nothing really beats perl for parsing text, and ruby is the best parts of perl with proper OO and nice duck typing and some other features. But Python's standard library is extremely good, everyone supports it, it can talk to everything, and it's only growing in the areas the others suffer in (Ruby has terrible/nonexistent threading and concurrency unless you use jruby, Perl has terrible/nonexistent OO unless you use Moose, etc).

I want to underscore this. Part of why I like python is I don't like reinventing the wheel and just about everything I use has some kind of library available.

AlternateAccount posted:

If it means my personality is that of someone who gets asked to justify business expenses and is responsible for budgets, I suppose you're right?

If you make a solid investment up front you're more likely to build employee loyalty and have people move up in your org instead of hiring from outside. This ends up being cheaper for the business in the long run and can lead to better service for end users/customers/whoever. Moving a help desk guy into a Jr. Sysadmin role is going to be cheaper than hiring someone from outside.

Not saying give starting help desk/level 1 techs 6 figure salaries at the start but not treating them like numbers to be exploited can go a long way.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Hostgator is a revolving door of IT employees. They take people with little to no experience, train them up, get them to work for them as long as they can before they move on, and then the repeat the process.

For someone just starting out with no skills 12 bucks an hour isn't the end of the world. Do NOT plan on being in that job for more than 9 months... start looking at 6 months.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Comradephate posted:

Just a touch over a year.

Also yes to everything else you said - even within the same company. I interviewed for a couple different "Systems Engineer II" positions while at Rackspace, and the job descriptions were wildly different. One of them was basically a more technical sales engineering position, while the other was building automation tools for a VMware environment. What?

I didn't mean to direct that at you but it's getting a little perplexing every time I see "You should be making XYZ amount as a System Admin/Engineer". This needs to stop.

Also, you bounce from RS to just a startup with only a year of experience? Was this a lateral career move?

skipdogg posted:

Hostgator is a revolving door of IT employees. They take people with little to no experience, train them up, get them to work for them as long as they can before they move on, and then the repeat the process.

For someone just starting out with no skills 12 bucks an hour isn't the end of the world. Do NOT plan on being in that job for more than 9 months... start looking at 6 months.

For what it's worth - Office 365 Support will take anyone that can manage to breathe, throw you in front-line support that pays $16/h starting, plenty of overtime and lovely benefits.

Just be prepared to get literally screamed at and you must take it.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 23, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That's terrible. I always try to be nice to the O365 guys when we have to call. It's not their fault when something breaks. We are lucky enough to have a TAM for our normal account and O365 as well.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

skipdogg posted:

That's terrible. I always try to be nice to the O365 guys when we have to call. It's not their fault when something breaks. We are lucky enough to have a TAM for our normal account and O365 as well.

You've got a something beyond a typical Office 365 Account if you have a TAM.

From the last I heard, Office 365 Support Staff are rated similarly to what you've heard in that terrible Comcast customer service call.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We pay extra for it every year as an extra to our normal Premier Support acct...He's a "Service Delivery Manager" but yeah, we have E3 licenses and spend about a million a year on our O365 subscription.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

skipdogg posted:

We pay extra for it every year as an extra to our normal Premier Support acct...He's a "Service Delivery Manager" but yeah, we have E3 licenses and spend about a million a year on our O365 subscription.

Curious, are you using it for Exchange,Lync,SharePoint? How many outages have you had? If you migrated from On-Prem did you lose a lot of functionality?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Exchange and Lync right now. Sharepoint is in the works, but we're still trying to figure out if we want to use the O365 Sharepoint, or put Sharepoint in Azure. There are some limits to the multi tenant Sharepoint with O365. OneDrive is quickly becoming a hit for users as well, and they LOVE Lync.

We've had a few outages, we got hit with the most recent email and Lync outages.. they never seem to affect the entire company though, just a subset of users. We have ~3800 employees across the globe though.

We originally migrated from Exchange 2003 to BPOS, then BPOS to O365. We did lose some functionality that only irritated admins, for the longest time lack of message tracking was my biggest problem. Other admins hated dealing with powershell, but that poo poo is the future and I laugh at them. Waiting on Directory Syncs to happen sucks (no federation yet), but the pros outweigh the cons.

-No more spam appliances (saved a buttload on Sophos licenses)
-No backups (saved a buttload on licenses and tapes)
-No more VPN required to get to your email with Outlook (we never set that up)

Overall we're really happy with O365 to be honest. Yes, it's a bit more expensive than on prem, but not having to think about email is really nice. The only downside to that, from a personal skills perspective I have almost no Exchange experience anymore. I last touched 2003 on premise, no idea bout 2007, 2010, or 2013 which may hurt me if I ever leave this job.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We currently have on prem 2010 and are looking to move to 365. We also have Sophos antispam. How is the 365 ver of antispam? Did you notice an uptick? No more Exchange backups would be amazing.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I'm coming up on the end of the 2nd week at my new job. Everything has been going really smooth, I've yet to break a server, and I get free lunch brought to my desk (it's jail food but the chicken is always good). So far everyone has been nice and even backups are working correctly. I'm still in the same organization and use the same ticket system and they had more tickets comes in this morning than we've had since I started my new job.

I just know I'm missing something important because it's been so easy going.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Yaos posted:

I just know I'm missing something important because it's been so easy going.

You are in jail!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yaos posted:

(it's jail food but the chicken is always good)

Do jails have IT departments??

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

GreenNight posted:

We currently have on prem 2010 and are looking to move to 365. We also have Sophos antispam. How is the 365 ver of antispam? Did you notice an uptick? No more Exchange backups would be amazing.

If you're on 2010 you could do away with backups now, even on prem.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

NippleFloss posted:

If you're on 2010 you could do away with backups now, even on prem.

How do you figure? We have Backup Exec do Exchange backups to disk, then we replicate that to tape. We have it so if I need to restore a single email, I can do that anytime from the past 12 months. Even though I've never done that in 11 years.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

AlternateAccount posted:

Honestly, I wouldn't call a help desk tier 1 zero certification or experience staffer an "IT Professional."

Someone who gets paid to do "IT stuff" is by the very definition, an IT professional. Aside from that, not all helpdesks are for people with gently caress all knowledge man. The one i'm on is far more than just "reset password" and "reset printer".

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's actually the Sheriff's Office which is connected to the jail, and the jail has tons of cameras and a bunch of DVRs they connect to which I get to fix when they break.

Edit: No, I'm not an inmate. Although, that would make a cool TV show! Everybody that touches state/federal data has to be CJIS certified and currently being an inmate would disqualify somebody from that.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 24, 2014

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Yaos posted:

It's actually the Sheriff's Office which is connected to the jail, and the jail has tons of cameras and a bunch of DVRs they connect to which I get to fix when they break.

Edit: No, I'm not an inmate. Although, that would make a cool TV show! Everybody that touches state/federal data has to be CJIS certified and currently being an inmate would disqualify somebody from that.

What's up fellow Sheriff Office IT. Star cozying up to the high level officers because county politics is a son of a bitch and you can get hamstrung by the dumbest people. What was suppose to be a 50% raise for me and a transition from janitor to a junior sysadmin has been more or less squashed by upper level politics and power grabs. The department is gonna be hilariously hosed once the current crop leaves in retirement in the next year or so with no one younger that knows the systems.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

GreenNight posted:

We use O365 for everything, and it works phenomenally. Webmail works great, has real functionality since I can still access my calendars and poo poo, and the spam filter has never let poo poo through even after signing up for a few certification-training newsletters. I willingly gave them my address and everything was a legitimate subscription, and I still had to go into my junk mail and whitelist them. This is just using the default O365 settings.

The greatest part about O365 really shined today while one of our coworkers was doing a presentation on sharepoint, though. They were going over apps, and how you can create calendar apps for people to use. He loads up our Sharepoint site, and creates a new calendar app right away. Then he opens up the calendar, and creates a new appointment. Then he clicks "Sync to Outlook" and it automatically loads that calendar into the Outlook 2013 installation on that computer. Then he creates an appointment in Outlook, which syncs to Sharepoint. Neat, we have a shared calendar that everybody can get to from the sharepoint site. No more mass-calendar-sharing to multiple groups, we can just handle permissions through Sharepoint's pretty robust system. The dude doing the presentation for us moves on to some other features for other office programs like Word

Then one of the guys starts giggling like an idiot. He just won't stop. He's clutching his Win8 phone in his hands, and tapping away, and giggling. Dude presenting shrugs, opens up the calendar again. It's been a minute since the presenter switched away from Outlook calendar features.

The dude giggling had just spent that 60 second window creating new calendar appointments in a pattern that looked like a dick. This dick would get pushed out to every user who has that calendar open, as soon as he typed it in on his phone. He just hopped on the company site on his phone, opened up the calendar in there, which opened and added the calendar to his phone automatically.

Like, yeah, it was a dick joke. But that was an efficient dick joke. That's to the point where I could voice-command my phone to make an appointment from 8:00 to 12:00 on the calendar we use for the company car, and just get that poo poo reserved without dragging my heels.

:allears: Sharepoint

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

How I wish the company would hire a Sharepoint guru. Our current setup was configured by a drat sales guy who took a Sharepoint class in college and now runs the entire terrible intranet. Nothing syncs, and hardly anything works.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Anyone got any advice/articles/anything about how to go about making purchase requests and other similar documents look visually nice to management/C level types? I've got the hang of how to write these requests and what to include as far as content goes, but I feel they are extremely lacking as far as visual appearance goes. Especially when spreadsheets get involved.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

GreenNight posted:

How do you figure? We have Backup Exec do Exchange backups to disk, then we replicate that to tape. We have it so if I need to restore a single email, I can do that anytime from the past 12 months. Even though I've never done that in 11 years.

Multiple (at least two) up to the minute DAG copies plus a lagged DB copy and deleted item retention set to 365 days.

The active/passive DAG copies allow you to survive single point hardware failures and things like filesystem corruption. The lagged copy is used to recover from DB logical corruption. You restore from deleted items instead of going to tape. Circular logging is enabled to keep logs from filling.

This is what MS does internally for their email and they've been pitching it hard to drive Exchange onto commodity hardware and away from expensive storage and backup architectures (because then you have more money to spend on MS products).

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

skipdogg posted:

Exchange and Lync right now. Sharepoint is in the works, but we're still trying to figure out if we want to use the O365 Sharepoint, or put Sharepoint in Azure. There are some limits to the multi tenant Sharepoint with O365. OneDrive is quickly becoming a hit for users as well, and they LOVE Lync.

I don't understand the purpose of OneDrive unless it's large files? It seems weird to include it with Office 365 when SharePoint is already a product.

GreenNight posted:

A lot of our customers have complained and we've implemented some 3rd Party Anti-Spam/Malware/etc solutions. Don't ask me but somehow Cyptolocker still gets through. On the same subject has anyone used Exchange Online Protection? How much more effective was it?

GreenNight posted:

How I wish the company would hire a Sharepoint guru. Our current setup was configured by a drat sales guy who took a Sharepoint class in college and now runs the entire terrible intranet. Nothing syncs, and hardly anything works.

SharePoint is a complicated beast and I know consultants who regularly pull-in $100k/y they don't do web-design, databases but merely "SharePoint" administration.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

You've got a something beyond a typical Office 365 Account if you have a TAM.

From the last I heard, Office 365 Support Staff are rated similarly to what you've heard in that terrible Comcast customer service call.

I jumped on the bandwagon really early and my guy got moved up to middle tier. He's awesome, always gave him some juicy feedback surveys. People matter so much more than anything, even in tech.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I got hired at a production company a month or two ago to help out their IT department. I don't have any formal training, just what amounts to help desk+ levels of competency from messing around with small projects on my own over the years.

Anyway, I assist with managing the Avid clients and media servers. We're having a lot of problems because we're almost at max capacity for the equipment we have, and we're going on a lot of wild goose chases trying to fix bugs that I think are basically attributable to our hardware not being able to cope with the load we're putting on it.

Because I'm not actually knowledgeable enough about networking and switches and all that though, I can't back up my gut feeling with any intelligent or expert sounding diagnosis. Where should I go to learn from the ground up about this stuff so I can actually troubleshoot and not just use the Luke Skywalker method to fixing everything?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Chickenwalker posted:

I got hired at a production company a month or two ago to help out their IT department. I don't have any formal training, just what amounts to help desk+ levels of competency from messing around with small projects on my own over the years.

Anyway, I assist with managing the Avid clients and media servers. We're having a lot of problems because we're almost at max capacity for the equipment we have, and we're going on a lot of wild goose chases trying to fix bugs that I think are basically attributable to our hardware not being able to cope with the load we're putting on it.

Because I'm not actually knowledgeable enough about networking and switches and all that though, I can't back up my gut feeling with any intelligent or expert sounding diagnosis. Where should I go to learn from the ground up about this stuff so I can actually troubleshoot and not just use the Luke Skywalker method to fixing everything?

Start reading N+ or the CCNA book.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
drat it why can't there be a FREE program that can convert an OST file to a PST file? We have a VP of Finance that left, his account was deleted, mailbox was deleted, and now people are requesting his emails. :negative:

I have his FOURTEEN GIG OST file, but God only knows what I'm going to do with it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

QPZIL posted:

drat it why can't there be a FREE program that can convert an OST file to a PST file? We have a VP of Finance that left, his account was deleted, mailbox was deleted, and now people are requesting his emails. :negative:

I have his FOURTEEN GIG OST file, but God only knows what I'm going to do with it.

Can you name it to same as the Outlook profile then export it?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Don't you just love that? "Immediate Deletion" request comes in, ok done, then two weeks later when the new guy starts "hey we need access to Bob's emails, can you make that happen?"

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yes, and doing work in the jail sucks rear end.

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

CloFan posted:

Don't you just love that? "Immediate Deletion" request comes in, ok done, then two weeks later when the new guy starts "hey we need access to Bob's emails, can you make that happen?"
I've taken great pains to educate the management staff around here on the difference between 'disable' and 'remove'.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

QPZIL posted:

The company you work for is big enough to have "VP of Finance" as a title but no compliance/discovery initiatives, or even bare-bones data retention policies, to go along with it?

I'd hate to be whoever's in charge of the fishing expedition the first time you get a real lawsuit.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Bob Morales posted:

Can you name it to same as the Outlook profile then export it?

Tried doing that on my machine, but I'm getting a "This OST doesn't match up with this MAPI account" message.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

QPZIL posted:

I think you're in luck. Try https://ost2pst4free.ru/totallynotmalware/download.html.

In all honesty though, those emails are obviously worth something to them so why not ask them to shell out for a license? I googled a few and they look to be around $50-100. It's chump change if those emails are truly :byodood::siren:BUSINESS CRITICAL!:siren::byodood:

ilovepy
Oct 10, 2007
mmm... py
Here is an idea for totally disrupting IT operations at a competitor for a day.

1. Create a screenshot of a filesystem where there is a file called <company_name>_user_sql.giz [sic]

2. Post to well known social media anonymously with tagline DB FOR SALE!!!!!!!

3. Profit!

Sorry, I had a bad day yesterday and I'm still stewing. Please don't do this.

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.
Would anyone have any suggestions where I might go to learn more about VOIP? The company I work for recently started to get involved with some products in that market and some more knowledge and understanding about it would make a steadily growing portion of my calls a whole lot easier.

What are people usually using in that regard? Cisco seems to have plenty of say and certifications on the subject but from what I understand they're somewhat proprietary.

My main goal here is to give someone some starting points as to why our phone isn't working with their systems.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

A lot of our customers have complained and we've implemented some 3rd Party Anti-Spam/Malware/etc solutions. Don't ask me but somehow Cyptolocker still gets through. On the same subject has anyone used Exchange Online Protection? How much more effective was it?

We use EOP extensively and it works great after the first two weeks. If you are using Office 365 I would consider using a non microsoft spam filter for business continuity purposes if that is important to you. Presumably cryptolocker and their variants are tested to get past most spam filters. OpenDNS has a great track record for blocking cryptolocker.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

SaltLick posted:

What's up fellow Sheriff Office IT. Star cozying up to the high level officers because county politics is a son of a bitch and you can get hamstrung by the dumbest people. What was suppose to be a 50% raise for me and a transition from janitor to a junior sysadmin has been more or less squashed by upper level politics and power grabs. The department is gonna be hilariously hosed once the current crop leaves in retirement in the next year or so with no one younger that knows the systems.

I used to dispatch for a Sheriff's Office and it reaffirmed what I'd heard about the SO being the bottom rung of law enforcement. As you said it was a horrible mess of politics and stupidity, but after I left I managed to enjoy some spectacular schadenfreude that crept through the upper ranks like a manic Santa Claus going through his Naughty list.

I also lived in my jurisdiction so I got to vote against the Sheriff while I worked there. :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Dukeofdummies posted:

What are people usually using in that regard? Cisco seems to have plenty of say and certifications on the subject but from what I understand they're somewhat proprietary.

My main goal here is to give someone some starting points as to why our phone isn't working with their systems.

We use a cloud based service from NewVoiceMedia with Cisco IP Phones, it's relatively simple as you pretty much link up the DDI's and program the call plan through the web interface and away you go. The one bad thing I would say that it's completely crapped out a handful of times, and being cloud based theres nothing you can really do, besides ring round on a goose chase to the VOIP provider, ISP and local telecom service.

• Locked thread