Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I always wondered if ZUN ever got a cut from any of that touhou merch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
aw man, so it was all a limited run? :(

sucks. wanted a little something without having to mail order for it, but oh well.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Aliginge: Your best bet would be in second-hand shops, which are mostly in the alleys of Akihabara and can be easy to overlook. If I had a chance I could show you around but it seems like that might be hard to manage at this point.

There are stores and companies still selling/making Touhou stuff but it isn't nearly as prevalent as it used to be with Kancolle/Love Live/etc. being the next Big Thing.

And ZUN doesn't really make much in the way of licensing fees, mostly because that was never his goal to begin with.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

dranxis posted:

As a Touhou figure collector, I'm a little sad that the companies that used to make Touhou figures have moved on to Kantai Collection now. :( Maybe that's the best thing for my wallet, but still.

Don't figures cost an insane amount? Like $60+ for every one?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

AdorableStar posted:

I got a free Kasen statue from ordering a volume of WaHH. It was limited edition, but they still had them in stock like 3 months after it was released. That was on Amazon though.

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Delicious tears of disappointment

AdorableStar posted:

Touhou figures are usually more than that, because ZUN stipulated that all Touhou figures had to be limited and exclusive.

I prefer not to think about how much I've spent. Being on myfigurecollection.net makes me feel a little better about myself though, many of the collections there are much more extravagant than mine (I have a Touhou-only rule, so that's stopped me from letting the hobby get out of hand.) I think my favorite insane collector there is StarshipPooper.

Could be worse. I could be a Dollfie Dream collector.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

dranxis posted:

Touhou figures are usually more than that, because ZUN stipulated that all Touhou figures had to be limited and exclusive.

I prefer not to think about how much I've spent. Being on myfigurecollection.net makes me feel a little better about myself though, many of the collections there are much more extravagant than mine (I have a Touhou-only rule, so that's stopped me from letting the hobby get out of hand.) I think my favorite insane collector there is StarshipPooper.

Could be worse. I could be a Dollfie Dream collector.

Where would you keep 2301 figures?

dranxis
Jul 12, 2013

Delicious tears of disappointment

AdorableStar posted:

Where would you keep 2301 figures?

I think his entire house is devoted to figure display. I don't know if he ever did, but at one point he said he was thinking about buying a new house because his current one was too small for his collection.

Whatever makes you happy!

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
:stare:

Yeah Il probably pass altogether if its that much of a cost, I already have airsoft as a bankruptor hobby, I don't need two.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
The cost of a figure is almost entirely related to size and quality. You can buy a massive, hand-sculpted deal for $70+, an action figure-like Figma/Nendoroid for $30-50, or a tiny trinket for $5. Plenty of choices to suit your budget to better improve your chances of procuring a waifu.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Figures are a problem of mine, especially since importing is super expensive.

Those aren't half of what I have, the rest aren't touhou related though

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

What's the appeal with figma, anyway? Ain't they supposed to be the final nail in the coffin of a normal life?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
They're poseable and have a lot of extra parts, so a lot of people feel that a $60-90 figma is better than a $200 figure that's stuck in one position.

That Marisa in the back there is a figma, you can see the joints and stuff.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

WarpedNaba posted:

What's the appeal with figma, anyway? Ain't they supposed to be the final nail in the coffin of a normal life?

Well, obviously, it's to play imaginary games with.

*Holds Marisa on broomstick figurine and makes "WHOOOSH" noises with mouth*

*holds up Spider-Man*

"Master SPAAAARK!" *PSHOOOW*

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

WarpedNaba posted:

In theory, they are action figures. In practice, they break really easily and have lots of small alternate parts that you have to keep in a drawer somewhere. I just wanted some anime GI Joes, was disappointed with the result. Joes never had trouble keeping their arms attached.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Well, obviously, it's to play imaginary games with.

*Holds Marisa on broomstick figurine and makes "WHOOOSH" noises with mouth*

*holds up Spider-Man*

"Master SPAAAARK!" *PSHOOOW*

So who would be the Touhou Cobra Commander?

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Decoy Badger posted:

So who would be the Touhou Cobra Commander?

Kanako? :v:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Mr. Potato Head, because your little brother is an idiot and he always wants to join in but he just DOESN'T. GET. IT. :colbert:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The touhou manga is cool and Clarste is cool for helping with the translation. Touhou figurines, much less cool. Paying like $100 for a touhou figurine :laffo:

Because I like putting my money where my mouth is, I've been playing touhou lately. PCB and IN are still the best, all these years later.

E: My boy duck says that Clarste is p.much the only guy translating the official stuff which makes him even cooler imo.

Namtab fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 25, 2014

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Namtab posted:

The touhou manga is cool and Clarste is cool for helping with the translation. Touhou figurines, much less cool. Paying like $100 for a touhou figurine :laffo:

Because I like putting my money where my mouth is, I've been playing touhou lately. PCB and IN are still the best, all these years later.

E: My boy duck says that Clarste is p.much the only guy translating the official stuff which makes him even cooler imo.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Namtab posted:

That doesn't sound like PoFV. :colbert:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

IN owns so hard

BlitzBlast posted:

That doesn't sound like PoFV. :colbert:

I retired from the world of PoFV after winning the tournament completely legitimately

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Namtab posted:

I'm working with N-Forza (leather fedora) on the more recent ones.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

That reminds me, you've mainly been doing FS over WaHH these last few times. Any particular reason why?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

NuclearPotato posted:

That reminds me, you've mainly been doing FS over WaHH these last few times. Any particular reason why?

Because it's a better series (imo) and easier to translate (imo). My goal was to get caught up on FS before switching over to WaHH.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 26, 2014

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

"die properly"
FS is all right, but Kosuzu is a little too stereotypical anime girl for my taste. I'd prefer doing WaHH but it's no big deal. We're about caught up anyway.

(I guess CoLA is already old hat...)

This is a p blatant mistranslation but w/e

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

leather fedora posted:

FS is all right, but Kosuzu is a little too stereotypical anime girl for my taste.

I guess there's a bit of that, but I like how she behaves completely differently around Akyuu than she does around Reimu. I feel like she's really cynical and manipulating these chumps by playing the innocent little girl. Which I guess is another anime girl stereotype but it's less exaggerated than they usually are. She just feels like a standard teenager to me, and Reimu just doesn't get it, man. Of course the standard teenager also thinks they're much smarter than they actually are.

I'd probably like WaHH more if it didn't insist on constantly teasing us with something happening and then it doesn't.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

It's not like Kasen being an Oni would have any significance.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Clarste posted:

Because it's a better series (imo)

To be fair, I agree with you on that. :v: Better drawn, too; I think it's probably the best drawn out of all the official manga.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Suppose WaHH was the same without the whole "OOOH WHAT IS SHE HIDING" at the end of every chapter. Would it be better that way?
I mean, FS doesn't really have an ongoing longterm intrigue like that (or rather, it's not as blatant), but it does feel like all the little things and events are adding up somewhat.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I mean it's hard to keep up the mystery of 'But she's secretly a youkai' when the vast majority of involved characters would not give half a poo poo regardless. To date Kosuzu is really the only involved character who insists on being racist about it.

... Actually I kinda want to see Kasen and Kosuzu interact.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I'm more interested in how Kosuzu would react to Mamizou-proper.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

WaHH is great because it features Komachi semi-commonly. And Komachi is the best. :colbert:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Pureauthor posted:

I mean it's hard to keep up the mystery of 'But she's secretly a youkai' when the vast majority of involved characters would not give half a poo poo regardless. To date Kosuzu is really the only involved character who insists on being racist about it.

... Actually I kinda want to see Kasen and Kosuzu interact.

As someone who hasn't read it, what does she do then? Pretend to be a human?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Volt Catfish posted:

Basically, yeah. The fun part is that even before the first chapter was released everyone knew she was one of the four great oni what with being named after Ibaraki-Doji and all, yet ZUN hasn't really done anything with it for years except have Kasen be a bit concerned whenever Suika is around in one or two chapters.

Pureauthor posted:

To date Kosuzu is really the only involved character who insists on being racist about it.

Youkai have this lovely habit of killing and eating humans, and most humans can't exactly go toe-to-toe with them, much less humans whose super-power is "can read books". Pretty much the entire purpose of the human village in Gensokyo is to believe that youkai exist to make sure they don't fade away, and even then Symposium of Post-Mysticism says no youkai cares if one or two humans get killed as long as the human population stays stable. It's also why Marisa was concerned about youkais who don't know the rules about Gensokoy at the end of the two chapters Clarste recently translated, they wouldn't know about making sure the human population stays stable and just view them as an all-you-can-eat buffet.

Really, the big reason humans and youkai in Gensokoy can get along is because youkai hunt humans in the outside world instead.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

a cartoon duck posted:

yet ZUN hasn't really done anything with it for years except

"I will soon reveal the truth behind Sakuya and Remilia's relationship, along with Sakuya's backstory." - ZUN, 2002.

Hasn't done anything of the sort in the past 12 years.

:allears:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Volt Catfish posted:

More than human, a hermit. Thus, the title. Hermits seem to be something like the opposite of youkai in this context. Anyway, as the "Horned Hermit" of the title, she's obviously an oni. Frankly I don't think it's even supposed to be a plot twist so much as a running gag that they're still not revealing it.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Volt Catfish posted:

"I will soon reveal the truth behind Sakuya and Remilia's relationship, along with Sakuya's backstory." - ZUN, 2002.

Hasn't done anything of the sort in the past 12 years.

:allears:

Maybe there is no backstory to reveal, nor any relationship beyond Sakuya being the head maid of the Scarlet Devil Mansion?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hedera Helix posted:

Maybe there is no backstory to reveal, nor any relationship beyond Sakuya being the head maid of the Scarlet Devil Mansion?

PMiSS sorta revealed it, in speculation form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
sakuya is a dude