Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The implication may be that there is a group of men. So determining paternity of the child would be difficult if Pam Oliver did in fact participate in a series or even a group of sexual partners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Crion posted:

Thanks for explaining the unfunny joke that had already been done once upthread, MorningView, but I was actually asking more about the paternity lawsuit part

Well sex is where babies come from.

I don't think it was the world's funniest joke but it doesn't really seem worth making a stink about.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 15, 2014

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Keerist Crion,

You must be a blast in social settings.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

MourningView posted:

Well sex is where babies come from.

I don't think it was the world's funniest joke but it doesn't really seem worth making a stink about.

I just wanted to know if it was just a bad joke, or a bad joke and also a supposed ref to something previous about Pam Oliver

Robnoxious posted:

Keerist Crion,

You must be a blast in social settings.

I do alright for myself, though part of that has to do with not hanging out with dudes who tell really lovely jokes

Crion fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jul 15, 2014

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Crion posted:

I just wanted to know if it was just a bad joke, or a bad joke and also a supposed ref to something previous about Pam Oliver

No, no one is implicating that Pam Oliver is a slut. Except you, maybe.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

GUYS I AM SORRY I MADE A DUMB JOKE CLEARLY I DID NOT TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THE FEELINGS OF INTERNET USER CRION LET'S MOVE ON

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 15, 2014

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Joe, it's at times like these that great forums posters need to make great forums posts.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mack Brown is going to be a studio analyst on ESPN/ABC for college football season. Butch Davis will be doing the same on ESPN2.

Dave Wannstedt will be on Fox Sports and BTN

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Anyone else been enjoying Olbermann lately?

His commentary on the Ray Rice situation was brilliant.

Perfect combination of his MSNBC and ESPN career.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Olbermann is hit or miss, but nobody does righteous outrage quite like him.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

What is the deal with Frank Caliendo? I switched to ESPN like 5 times throughout the day and he was on every single time. Did they turn the network over to him or something?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Niwrad posted:

What is the deal with Frank Caliendo? I switched to ESPN like 5 times throughout the day and he was on every single time. Did they turn the network over to him or something?

He has an ESPN special coming up real soon and they are promoting him.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Niwrad posted:

I think he has his moments.

I thought him playing Gruden in front of Gruden was really funny.

e: Just the head nodding and awkward staring makes it good.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 25, 2014

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

zakharov posted:

His 'Worst Person in the Sports World' bit is good, and I like his opening monologue thing. Lately he's been having lots of subs it seems.

Best part was when a guy from the show Sports Night showed up to help with the highlights.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w69xRClOwCo Josh Charles highlights.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jul 26, 2014

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CannonFodder posted:

His 'Worst Person in the Sports World' bit is good, and I like his opening monologue thing. Lately he's been having lots of subs it seems.

Best part was when a guy from the show Sports Night showed up to help with the highlights.
He was having some health issues...plus in the summer a lot of TV hosts tend to take time off

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

zakharov posted:

Olbermann works perfect here because sports has such vile poo poo all over it that it's basically easy pickings for him to go off about things like the Rice situation. It really plays right into Olbermann's specialty and gives us the viewer someone who is broadcast nationally that will actually fight against some of the inane poo poo that happens in sports.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

He was having some health issues...plus in the summer a lot of TV hosts tend to take time off

Also, ESPN probably doesn't mind testing out different guys for the same format once Olbermann eventually napalms his second ESPN bridge.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I haven't watched in months but back when I did watch Olbermann the highlights section of the show was absolutely AWFUL and seriously cringeworthy. So many terrible forced jokes like he was desperately trying to relive the glory days of SC.

I love his rants and think the show would be good with the opening mono + like maybe an OTL informative segment with some q&a but when he does anything day to day sports related like highlights it makes me want to rip my eyes out.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I haven't watched in months but back when I did watch Olbermann the highlights section of the show was absolutely AWFUL and seriously cringeworthy. So many terrible forced jokes like he was desperately trying to relive the glory days of SC.

I love his rants and think the show would be good with the opening mono + like maybe an OTL informative segment with some q&a but when he does anything day to day sports related like highlights it makes me want to rip my eyes out.
SOMEbody doesn't like putting the biscuit in the basket He's not.. gonna.. get him.. because he hit the ball.. really .. far.. GOODBYE CHARISE

It's a love or hate situation.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So has ESPN directly commented on the SAS thing?

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Seems like they're hoping people forget about It over the weekend

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It would be ESPN's fault for provoking people into outrage.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Jackie D posted:

Seems like they're hoping people forget about It over the weekend

It's the NY Daily News, true, but there are reports that he's leaving ESPN Radio, at least, and jumping over to Sirius to be the lead-in for Chris Russo. Not sure what it means as far as the TV side of things go, but if those reports are true, and he's leaving the TV side as well, ESPN could try a face-saving "suspension".

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This apparently makes SAS the first "worthy" black host to work with Russo as well

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

What I learned from this is that Chris Russo looks a lot like Michael Bay.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

His network likes to hire disgraced former ESPN people...he gave Steve Phillips a job after the mess he made at ESPN with the sexual harassment and secret affairs

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

His network likes to hire disgraced former ESPN people...he gave Steve Phillips a job after the mess he made at ESPN with the sexual harassment and secret affairs

Also look up Dino Costa (former nighttime host on that channel), he wasn't too bright either.

So ESPN just said tune in tomorrow to hear Stephen A's response to the backlash, of course they'll do it that way

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Vertical Lime posted:

Also look up Dino Costa (former nighttime host on that channel), he wasn't too bright either.

So ESPN just said tune in tomorrow to hear Stephen A's response to the backlash, of course they'll do it that way

But his tweets were two days ago!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I heard Dino Costa driving back from my masters program a few years ago...he's basically the epitome of the ignorant conservative white guy. He basically wanted to be Rush 2.0.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Richard Deitsch is saying Brady Quinn is now at CBS and will do color for some games with Tim Brando.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Not sure if this was reported yet but ESPN suspended Stephen A Smith for a week following the comments made on Friday:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/07/29/media/espn-suspends-stephen-a-smith/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Vintimus Prime posted:

Not sure if this was reported yet but ESPN suspended Stephen A Smith for a week following the comments made on Friday:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/07/29/media/espn-suspends-stephen-a-smith/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

That'll show him.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Vintimus Prime posted:

"am I ever going to beat the poo poo out of Michelle Beadle when I get back," thought Stephen, not learning his lesson.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Smith already has one foot out the door since he's leaving ESPN radio so suspending him for a week will probably help push the other foot out. Remember that if they fire him it's likely that they'd have to pay him the rest of what he's owed.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

He's been sort of on the fringes of ESPN for awhile anyway. First Take is all he really has left and that show is as inconsequential as it gets. I doubt he's around much longer with the company.

The suspension is kind of silly. Either you don't want his opinion on the show and you fire him or you do want it and do nothing. I never understood what the point of a suspension was in these situations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Smith already has one foot out the door since he's leaving ESPN radio so suspending him for a week will probably help push the other foot out. Remember that if they fire him it's likely that they'd have to pay him the rest of what he's owed.

That's not typically how contracts work. Any employment contract (especially for a company that hires talking heads on television) would include a morality-based clause. You can't just say awful poo poo on TV and then hope your employer fires you and get paid anyway.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mahoning posted:

That's not typically how contracts work. Any employment contract (especially for a company that hires talking heads on television) would include a morality-based clause. You can't just say awful poo poo on TV and then hope your employer fires you and get paid anyway.
I understand that, but they were apparently okay enough with him that he was allowed back on the air at least once before his suspension, and that was after a weekend break.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

He was right in what he was saying anyway the whole thing is stupid.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

RBX posted:

What? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

RBX posted:

:goonsay: