Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Bring back the Giant Bomb energy drink taste-tests, and stories about cans of swedish canned fish hidden in the ceiling. Also, more Mike Rowe.

I know that old arcade cabinets are heavy and touchy and every time I listen to a bombcast it seems to be nothing but "hey man I got me a Neo Geo cabinet, I'm pathetically fat and it was really a chore getting it into my apartment".

Although I'd kill for a cocktail-table Joust or Ms. Pac Man machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
The Cave Story episode of WOFF! went up yesterday. Hint: we think the game is delightful.

http://duckfeed.tv/woff/78

Up next is Metal Gear: Ghost Babel, then a month of Suikoden II, and a split EP between Contra and Little Nemo.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
coyo7e it's not really got nothing to do with the content. With the bombcast it was all about the chemistry. Jeff and ryan were amazing and vinny and brad were perfect foils for them. That is what made the cast so good.

The reason why people enjoyed the non gaming bits wasn't because it was non gaming but because the guys were hilarious when put together. It's really hard to recreate that.

I dunno. I feel bad even discussing this. The recent recruits are all nice guys but the cast just doesn't have that x factor.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Dan Ryckert is a national treasure and Giant Bomb is now as good as it's been since we lost the Nacho Boss. Dan is like a bubble boy/Jeff Jr. with even worse opinions and it's amazing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ryan is dead and complaining about how it is now is not going to magically bring him back to save the bombcast.

We will never return to those halcyon days. There is nobody like Ryan, to be honest, he was a legendary host and his skill as such held the group together and kept them directed both when discussing games and bullshitting. His death had a clear effect on the rest of the crew, especially Jeff, and unfortunately there's nothing that can be done to change things to the way they were.

Complaining that it's not like the old days is pretty callous, honestly. Of course it's not, one of the lynchpins of the show is dead and trying to hold the new additions to that standard seems really lovely to me. If it's new and different and doesn't appeal to your tastes, fine, stop visiting the site. But complaining about the change when the people involved really had no control over it is pointless because it's not like they can do anything to stop it.

edit: also Vinny teaming up with Alex has made me like Alex a lot more. They work together fantastically well and I've watched almost all of their quick looks together. The Gods Will Be Watching QL is great for their banter/squeamishness.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
:(

I wasn't trying to be callous. I actually had to stop listening to the bombcast for a while after ryan died because it bummed me out so badly. That was actually my first post on the state of the BC since then.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Ryan is dead and complaining about how it is now is not going to magically bring him back to save the bombcast.

I wasn't saying this and I know it can't be helped. I didn't really talk about Ryan in my posts at all because it was tragic and only a loving lunatic would actually begrudge them for it, but it happened, they managed and it worked for the year that followed. I'm saying that further breaking up what remained of the group and the altered dynamic that followed has kinda killed it for me and I haven't followed the site since the end of E3. I'm not suggesting they save the podcast or that it needs saving at all (a bunch of people feel it's gotten a new lease of life and that's fine) but in the last month I've realised that it's lost too many of the things I went there for to begin with.

I'm not arguing that it's ruined forever, nor am I trying to slap down an objective judgement - I'm just lamenting in the podcast thread.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 25, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
A number of people actually do complain that GB has changed too much as if something can be done to revert it back to the way it was, so it seemed like it was more of that.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jippa posted:

coyo7e it's not really got nothing to do with the content. With the bombcast it was all about the chemistry. Jeff and ryan were amazing and vinny and brad were perfect foils for them. That is what made the cast so good.

The reason why people enjoyed the non gaming bits wasn't because it was non gaming but because the guys were hilarious when put together. It's really hard to recreate that.

I dunno. I feel bad even discussing this. The recent recruits are all nice guys but the cast just doesn't have that x factor.
I still think the chemistry is good and they're still pretty funny however, it's just that I honestly am unable to recall anything that they've discussed recently, except how annoying/sketchy it is to move around arcade cabinets.

They have no direction anymore, and either need to find someone to steer, or need to just let the GBcast quietly die and then focus on their anime shows and whatever else. (I do not care for the Whiskey Media brand and most of what they do is entirely uninteresting to me, though.)

Captain Invictus posted:

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/video-thing-2human/2300-29/

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

coyo7e posted:

I still think the chemistry is good and they're still pretty funny however, it's just that I honestly am unable to recall anything that they've discussed recently, except how annoying/sketchy it is to move around arcade cabinets.

They have no direction anymore, and either need to find someone to steer, or need to just let the GBcast quietly die and then focus on their anime shows and whatever else. (I do not care for the Whiskey Media brand and most of what they do is entirely uninteresting to me, though.)

Have you seen or listened to anything Giant Bomb has done for like the past two years? You do know Whiskey Media does not exist anymore, right?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Szmitten posted:

I'm just lamenting in the podcast thread.

This is what I was doing as well. :(

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hakkesshu posted:

Have you seen or listened to anything Giant Bomb has done for like the past two years? You do know Whiskey Media does not exist anymore, right?
Yes, weekly, I rarely miss their podcast but am not sure why I still listen anymore. Since I don't care about their Brand Name, I really didn't notice that they'd shelved the comics/etc stuff or w/e you're referring to, I thought Whiskey Media was an attempt at making a brand out of nerd podcasts and videos and never gave a poo poo about the stuff oriented around non-game content. Losing Ryan really hurt them a great deal both personally and content-wise, and I fail to see what your point is except :spergin:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

coyo7e posted:

They haven't talked about arcade cabinets in like a year+. What is your bizarre definition of 'recently'?

e: /\/\ Well ok then I just don't know.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Dan Ryckert is the Giant Bombcast's Karl Pilkington.

coyo7e posted:

Yes, weekly, I rarely miss their podcast but am not sure why I still listen anymore. Since I don't care about their Brand Name, I really didn't notice that they'd shelved the comics/etc stuff or w/e you're referring to, I thought Whiskey Media was an attempt at making a brand out of nerd podcasts and videos and never gave a poo poo about the stuff oriented around non-game content. Losing Ryan really hurt them a great deal both personally and content-wise, and I fail to see what your point is except :spergin:
The people at Giant Bomb that are on the Giant Bombcast were not part of the other Whiskey Media sites, so even if it existed they wouldn't be on those shows or sites. Are you the mythical listener that listens to the podcast but never visits the website?

Akuma fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 25, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I doubt that it's been a year, I was driving to the coast a few weeks ago and listening to the GBcast and it was still dudes talking about fixing arcade cabinets after buying them and trying to figure out how to get them home.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

coyo7e posted:

I doubt that it's been a year, I was driving to the coast a few weeks ago and listening to the GBcast and it was still dudes talking about fixing arcade cabinets after buying them and trying to figure out how to get them home.
Nobody has bought an arcade machine, the last time an arcade machine was moved into somebody's house was after Patrick left and Ryan took his NeoGeo cabinet. Which was over a year ago.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

coyo7e posted:

Well you might care because Giant Bomb was bought by CBSi, so they share a building with Gamespot now and have absolutely nothing to do with Tested and Screened etc. Whiskey Media was dissolved. It's something different compared to just dropping the name or something.

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
I really like the state of Giant Bomb right now since the changes over the last few weeks. It's different than where it was a little over a year ago (and unfortunately it'll never be that way again :(), but it's a new kind of good. Drew has become more of a personality and I think he's great on the podcast and in videos (and ALT+F1 is awesome). Dan has been a good addition so far and plays well with Jeff in QuickLooks as well. I'm bummed that Vinny moved away but the videos he's been putting out with Alex have been really good. Switching Brad to host the Bombcast seems to be a good move so far, since he does a good job and I think it gives Jeff a bit more breathing room to gently caress around.

My only complaint is the lack of BEASTcast so far. Gimme more Vinny!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
GB's video content has been the strongest it's been in a long time recently. Multiple quick looks a day in most cases, premium content multiple times a week, it's really great. The podcast has been shorter recently until this past one which may be the longest non-GOTY one they've ever done, and this is with GBEAST running on a shoestring setup in a cramped little TV Guide studio with no proper cameras. When they get an actual studio in a few weeks/months there'll probably be much higher quality video content coming out of there as well. Maybe they'll even have access to a recording studio as well. Maybe even skype Patrick in, or skype into the bombcast proper.

I can dream!!

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I think the Bombcast is in a pretty great place right now. This week's episode in particular was a good time through and through. Ryan will never be replaced, but Dan's terrible opinions bounce easily off of Jeff's bad opinions and the new blood has re-energized things a lot. I mean, how can you hate on this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZveytjmGWT8

While I'm in here I'll also note that the Thumbs have been on fire recently. Keep up the good work! Daft Souls is pretty good too - they talked about King of Dragon Pass a bit last week, and I hope they play more because that game is an incredible achievement.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I really enjoyed the Wire chat on the Level, I'm still halfway through season 4 despite watching the show for half a year (I take my time with TV shows).

Also, getting 3 of my recommendations (as of the upcoming episode) on Abject Suffering in the span of two months has been awesome. Confusing Bad Dudes with Dudes With Attitude is a mistake you will only make once.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.

Twitch posted:

Also, getting 3 of my recommendations (as of the upcoming episode) on Abject Suffering in the span of two months has been awesome. Confusing Bad Dudes with Dudes With Attitude is a mistake you will only make once.

I don't want to build it up, but "Dudes With Attitude" is a top-3 episode of the show for me.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Song For The Deaf posted:

I don't want to build it up, but "Dudes With Attitude" is a top-3 episode of the show for me.

When I was a kid my parents bought me a weird bootleg NES cart with 15 games on it. The cartridge needed an official licensed NES game plugged into the back of it to get around the PAL lock out chip. Thanks to that cart I was able to enjoy high quality games like Chiller, Menace Beach and Dudes With Attitude. I won't spoil it for people who don't know about it, but I'll say I'm really looking forward to hearing the reaction you guys have to Dudes With Attitude.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Phone posted:

The only pronunciation chat that's allowed in this thread is Danielle Reindeau's Rhode Island accent.

FUCKIN' CASE CLOSED.
I just finally caught up with Idle Thumbs now and holy gently caress I love Danielle's New England accent. I might be in love with that accent now. :allears:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Looking forward to the episode that is just New England Danielle, pig grunts and "baboo"s the whole way through.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What, are accents now on the same level as old memes?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

What, are accents now on the same level as old memes?

It's definitely on the verge of being run into the ground.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

Looking forward to the episode that is just New England Danielle, pig grunts and "baboo"s the whole way through.

We'll save that for the last 30 minutes of episode 200

Kouerson
Mar 5, 2008

If you die in Canada, you die in real life.

Akuma posted:

Are you the mythical listener that listens to the podcast but never visits the website?

To be fair to him I was doing that for about two-three years before I dropped the whole thing.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

ja2ke posted:

We'll save that for the last 30 minutes of episode 200

Where's your cool UI post on campoblog :[

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

TetsuoTW posted:

If people would just let her talk in her native accent this wouldnt be a problem.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Akuma posted:

Are you the mythical listener that listens to the podcast but never visits the website?
Hot news tip, plenty of people never visit all kinds of websites. Not everybody lives on reddit. I spend far more time reading actual books and listening to podcasts in an average day, than I spend in front of a keyboard. When I was at a different stage in my life I hung out on digg and giantbomb and stuff but the only reason I go to websites like that any more is when I'm bored and watching TV and doing other poo poo, I certainly don't care about upvoting news stories or editing wikis about video game soundtracks. I think outside of linking that Too Human video the other day, I haven't been to Giantbomb in probably 6-12 months.

Then again I'm at a point in my life where I don't sit around stressing about videogames (partially in part to their not being any good games I've heard of lately, and plenty of good opportunities to go to the beach, go fishing, go hiking and camping with friends and my dog, etc.) I am planning on going through the bonfireside chat cast again now that dark souls 2 has been out long enough for them to cover all the areas however, half the time I'd rather listen to a gardening or world news or history show.

So yeah I guess I'm a myth. I'm the gamer/nerd who got tired of being one, and who now goes outside and gets a suntan instead (my average posts/day on SA has gone down by easily 30-40% from what it used to be, for instance, and I mainly post in the gardening/DIY/fishing/etc threads instead of writing OPs for whatever game I'm looking forward to being disappointed about *cough Thief cough cough*. I'd hope that someone who's had an account on SA for over 13 years for instance, doesn't participate at the same rate as they did when they began. Things change, people change.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 27, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

coyo7e posted:

Hot news tip, plenty of people never visit all kinds of websites. Not everybody lives on reddit. I spend far more time reading actual books and listening to podcasts in an average day, than I spend in front of a keyboard. When I was at a different stage in my life I hung out on digg and giantbomb and stuff but the only reason I go to websites like that any more is when I'm bored and watching TV and doing other poo poo, I certainly don't care about upvoting news stories or editing wikis about video game soundtracks. I think outside of linking that Too Human video the other day, I haven't been to Giantbomb in probably 6-12 months.

Then again I'm at a point in my life where I don't sit around stressing about videogames (partially in part to their not being any good games I've heard of lately, and plenty of good opportunities to go to the beach, go fishing, go hiking and camping with friends and my dog, etc.) I am planning on going through the bonfireside chat cast again now that dark souls 2 has been out long enough for them to cover all the areas however, half the time I'd rather listen to a gardening or world news or history show.

So yeah I guess I'm a myth. I'm the gamer/nerd who got tired of being one, and who now goes outside and gets a suntan instead (my average posts/day on SA has gone down by easily 30-40% from what it used to be, for instance, and I mainly post in the gardening/DIY/fishing/etc threads instead of writing OPs for whatever game I'm looking forward to being disappointed about *cough Thief cough cough*. I'd hope that someone who's had an account on SA for over 13 years for instance, doesn't participate at the same rate as they did when they began. Things change, people change.

I'm truly happy for you.

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

_jink posted:

Where's your cool UI post on campoblog :[

When there's a cool UI I'll post about it. I might be the only person who hasn't posted a blog yet. I was supposed to post the second one, right after Sean.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

coyo7e posted:

SOMEONE HELP I'M BEING SUCKED INTO THE VORTEX OF PRETENTIOUS DOUCHINESS THAT IS THIS POST

ja2ke posted:

When there's a cool UI I'll post about it. I might be the only person who hasn't posted a blog yet. I was supposed to post the second one, right after Sean.

Hey Jake since my email no doubt got swallowed up by the volume of emails you get, or just wasn't good enough to get on the podcast, I sent you guys a link to the best example of what can be done with an NES sound chip, from an actual NES game from when I was a kid that blew me away

This is literally exactly how it sounds coming out of an NES. It's mindboggling how they pulled this off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNnHoPn1Vic

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 27, 2014

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
Coyo7e. You shouldn't say things like that. The majority of Giant Bomb fans from this website are friendless losers who live vicariously through other people's friendly conversations. They likely do this to Let's Players too and spend hours on Team Fortress 2. They're probably gonna get mad at your post and report you or something, just a friendly tip. :) But I'm glad you have moved on with your life. :D

Anyways, have you guys listened to Retronauts? It's really awesome. They talk about all stuff relating to retro video games, there are some great episodes about Wrestling as well and I especially love their episodes about Arcade Machines! Plus they taught me about Amstrad.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I think we can all agree that no matter what your hobbies are, the most important thing is to be unbearably smug about them. I'd expand on that point but I really don't have the time to lower myself to such uncouth topics and am gonna go back to recreating scenes out of classic Japanese films out of origami.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

VDay posted:

I think we can all agree that no matter what your hobbies are, the most important thing is to be unbearably smug about them. I'd expand on that point but I really don't have the time to lower myself to such uncouth topics and am gonna go back to recreating scenes out of classic Japanese films out of origami.
gently caress you man I'm too busy camping with my dog right now peace out ~skateboards away to go fishing~

coyo7e, I used the word "mythical" because I'm pretty sure someone on the Bombcast used it to refer to people that listen to the podcast but don't visit the website. It even came up on the podcast like last week. It was a lighthearted post.

Your posting rate is literally five times mine, by the way, for nearly half the registration time.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

coyo7e posted:

I know what'll close out this embarrassing masturbatory thesis about how mature I am.. my quote from my highschool yearbook!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Remo
Sep 11, 2005

TetsuoTW posted:

Is it really? It only occupied any significant amount of time on a single episode and as far as I recall has only even come up again maybe one other time?

• Locked thread