Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

Didn't know that, I thought you generally needed some gas to move.

Nope. If you're in a very slow but not stopped traffic jam in a manual, just shift into first gear and ease your foot off the clutch. You'll creep forward nice and slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Does that put any excessive wear on the clutch?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Kenshin posted:

Nope. If you're in a very slow but not stopped traffic jam in a manual, just shift into first gear and ease your foot off the clutch. You'll creep forward nice and slow.

Depends on the car - it isn't even possible on some models.

Anyway (as a generalisation) I've always found that older manuals are easier to pick than newer ones - in new cars the throttle doesn't always behave exactly how you'd expect it to and this means you have to get used to the quirks of the car. For instance in my mums Suzuki Swift there is kind of a lag in revs dropping between gears which can cause the car to jerk (and you to look like an idiot) if you don't anticipate it.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

sudo rm -rf posted:

Does that put any excessive wear on the clutch?

It wears a little bit more when you do that. But I wouldn't say excessively so.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

If anything it would wear it less, unless you're slipping it all day long. At idle you're hardly putting friction-material-burning torque through your clutch. One steep 2000rpm hill start will do 1000x more wear than a no-throttle idle slip start.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I used to be in the habit of starting out in second gear to save a shift and keep revs relatively low for fuel economy. I have no idea if that was a good idea or stupid given the but of extra slipping involved but the clutch seemed to be fine with it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I would always start my focus in second unless I was pointing uphill. Is it bad for the car? No idea, haha.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

angryhampster posted:

Yeah I could do it in my old Mazda6 pretty easily with the 4-cyl. On my motorcycle it's cake. I'm assuming it's easier because it's comparatively pretty light?

Yeah the lighter the car the easier it is. I had an 83 civic with no power but it was made of tin foil so it was pretty easy to do. I also start in 2nd gear all the time going downhill, just let gravity take the place of first gear. As long as you're not slipping the clutch excessively or lugging the engine it's fine.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Wheeee posted:

I used to be in the habit of starting out in second gear to save a shift and keep revs relatively low for fuel economy. I have no idea if that was a good idea or stupid given the but of extra slipping involved but the clutch seemed to be fine with it.

I would think that would be worse for the engine (than the clutch) since it might be struggling to give you enough torque to take off.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Xguard86 posted:

Didn't know that, I thought you generally needed some gas to move.

Well yes and no. The little bit of gas given to the engine to keep it at idle is enough to get it going just by finding the bite point. You are using gas but not the throttle.

I've often wondered how fast I could get up to without using any throttle, but I've never gone out of my way to find a remote and fairly flat road to do so.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I mean you would just bog after matching the clutch

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
In Poland during mandatory driver training you're supposed to do a bunch of manoeuvres with just the clutch. Go forward at an arc, park properly, reverse back to starting position, park properly.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

In Poland during mandatory driver training you're supposed to do a bunch of manoeuvres with just the clutch. Go forward at an arc, park properly, reverse back to starting position, park properly.

Great, first they did reverse Polish notation, now they're screwing around with driving too.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Seems like a great way to learn how to drive, given how poles behave on the road.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

http://www.media.subaru-global.com/en/news/1911

quote:

Subaru Names All-New Sports Sedan "WRX S4" in Japan

Tokyo, July 25, 2014 - Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), the maker of Subaru automobiles, today announced that Subaru's all-new sports sedan, to be introduced in Japan on August 25, has been named "WRX S4".

While the "WRX S4" has "the Subaru's top AWD (All-Wheel drive) sports performance", the sports sedan also achieves "unique overall safety performance" with features such as the next-generation EyeSight, "superior environmental friendliness" and "high-quality feel". By fusing these four values at a high level centering on its AWD sports performance as a core attribute, a new value has been achieved. It enables more drivers to enjoy superb driving performance with safety and comfort. To represent the above four attributes, the vehicle name "S4" has four meanings; "Sports performance", "Safety performance", "Smart driving" and "Sophisticated feel".

A special website has been launched on the Subaru Official Website at 11:00 am on July 25 (Japan time) to release teaser images and other information.

http://www.subaru.jp/special/s4/

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

That's a familiar name for a luxury performance AWD sedan...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Does audi sell the S4 as the S4 in japan or do they give it a different name?

If there are anything other than superficial changes to it, I'm going to be pissed after the song and dance they gave us about not having enough money to develop a hatch. I don't really expect this to released in the US at all.

The "environmental" aspect of it has me slightly intrigued though. Turbo 2.0L hybrid powertrain maybe? Packaging should work since it's the same platform as the Crosstrek Hybrid.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

bull3964 posted:

Does audi sell the S4 as the S4 in japan or do they give it a different name?
Audi sells the S4 sedan and wagon in Japan.

http://www.audi.co.jp/jp/brand/ja/models/a4/s4.html

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Mr. Apollo posted:

Audi sells the S4 sedan and wagon in Japan.

http://www.audi.co.jp/jp/brand/ja/models/a4/s4.html

Interesting, Subaru may have a lawsuit on their hands.

So, pure speculation time.

Let's say the powerplant is a 2.0L Turbo Hybrid. Seems to me this is the perfect way to test a new STI powerplant. Put it in a limited run WRX at a slightly lower power output and then drop it into the STI in a year or two, using the electric motor to add about 40hp to the output of the standard 2.0L Turbo.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Plenty of manufacturers use badging like "gti" and "gt" ect and never get sued over it, I'm sure they ran it by the legal team before deciding to do it.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
We are running out of letters. Time for someone to build a GTAÕ

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

They should be ok as long as they call it the Subaru WRX S4, not the Subaru S4. Still though, I'd be pissed if I was Audi.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

BraveUlysses posted:

Plenty of manufacturers use badging like "gti" and "gt" ect and never get sued over it, I'm sure they ran it by the legal team before deciding to do it.

Also why do I get the feeling that in Japan they have rules set up so that Japanese manufacturers are granted certain leeway while foreign companies are set to a more stringent ruleset? WRX S4 is probably just fine there but if Audi tried to sell an A4 GT-R they'd have a problem.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

davebo posted:

Also why do I get the feeling that in Japan they have rules set up so that Japanese manufacturers are granted certain leeway while foreign companies are set to a more stringent ruleset? WRX S4 is probably just fine there but if Audi tried to sell an A4 GT-R they'd have a problem.

To be fair, this pretty much applies to every nation and their domestic car manufacturers. For instance, the US would never bail out Toyota or Honda during a recession.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Japan are pretty unashamedly protectionist.

In the early 1980s, the kit-car builder Dutton was making this in the UK:

When Ford rocked up a couple of years later with their Sierra:

They claimed sole rights to the name. Went to court, Ford lost.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

sudo rm -rf posted:

To be fair, this pretty much applies to every nation and their domestic car manufacturers. For instance, the US would never bail out Toyota or Honda during a recession.

See: Mitsubishi GTO. Sold in the US as the Mitsubishi 3000GT and Dodge Stealth.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

YF19pilot posted:

See: Mitsubishi GTO. Sold in the US as the Mitsubishi 3000GT and Dodge Stealth.

Counterpoint: Toyota stopped Lincoln from using LS6 and LS8 for what became the LS sedan due to alleged confusion with the LS460. Also the Ford Fusion was supposed to be the Futura but the tire brand put a halt on it.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

AdmiralViscen posted:

Counterpoint: Toyota stopped Lincoln from using LS6 and LS8 for what became the LS sedan due to alleged confusion with the LS460. Also the Ford Fusion was supposed to be the Futura but the tire brand put a halt on it.
Ford also stopped Toyota from calling their full size pickup the T-150 alleging confusion with the F-150.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One of the things about this particular issue is that Audi kind of has a leg to stand on (assuming Japan cares at all) is they are both referring to turbocharged AWD sedans and Subaru has said many times lately that they are gunning for Audi customers with the new WRX. So, naming your new premium model the exact same name as the model you have admitted you are trying to directly compete against is a bit on the nose.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 25, 2014

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
I was telling someone the other day that I thought Ford was going to struggle to make the next Falcon look good next to the sparkly VF commodore but I think they managed it. Still, looks like generic Falcon around the middle though.

Going to be powered by either a turbo'd four or turbo'd inline six or a supercharged 5.0 V8.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/298629/2014-ford-falcon-xr8-xr6-revealed-sedan-and-ute-on-sale-come-fourth-quarter/

tobu fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 25, 2014

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Looks good from that angle, but I suspect it is going to look weird in person because of the mismatch between the old and new bits (the Commodores have the same problem)

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Ford also stopped Toyota from calling their full size pickup the T-150 alleging confusion with the F-150.

Ford stopped Ferrari calling last year's (iirc) F1 car the F-150, even though it wasn't even a production car.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

On the topic of Ford, an all-new Mustang and an all-new F-150, where the hell is the Ecoboost V8 to poo poo on everyone else's engine lineups?

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Can you have a V8 and still call it an "ecoboost"?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Why not, it's not like the rest of the Ecoboost lineup is particularly efficient.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

sudo rm -rf posted:

Can you have a V8 and still call it an "ecoboost"?

The fuel economy of a v8 with the power of a v12!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

davebo posted:

Rules would not be "set up" that way but enforcement may be subject to favoritism. As noted though, Japan otherwise has a very protectionist economy, using quotas, taxes, unique requirements, etc. An example sometimes found in textbooks is the assertion that the Japanese ski lobby claimed Japanese snow was different and European skis were not suited to their snow. I don't know if that's a true story or an oft repeated urban legend like the Chevy Nova thing (in 2014 this is still repeated by marketing professors and is in textbooks! Geez).

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
When Volvo released the S40, they originally wanted to call it the S4. Audi protested and they had to change it to S40. Mercedes then took them to court since MB had plans for the [letter]xx designations. This was thrown out though, probably since MB hadn't reserved the names yet, and Audi already had a model named S4.

Also, LOL.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

CharlesM posted:

Rules would not be "set up" that way but enforcement may be subject to favoritism. As noted though, Japan otherwise has a very protectionist economy, using quotas, taxes, unique requirements, etc. An example sometimes found in textbooks is the assertion that the Japanese ski lobby claimed Japanese snow was different and European skis were not suited to their snow. I don't know if that's a true story or an oft repeated urban legend like the Chevy Nova thing (in 2014 this is still repeated by marketing professors and is in textbooks! Geez).

It sounds more like an oversimplification than bullshit. Snow is different in different places. Skiing styles, preferences, and conditions are different around the world. A Rossignol race ski designed for icy hard pack and meticulously groomed pistes is not going to be appropriate for 10 meters of moist powder. That's no reason to deny or restrict sales of them (or their more appropriate powder skis, but given how old the this story is allegedly, ski technology would have been very different then compared to now and they probably didn't even have that sort of specialization then) but if you're a lobby group who's purpose is to promote the sale of Japanese skis, you're gonna use that sort of thing to promote your skis over competitors. I guarantee the American auto lobby would have argued that small diesel powered trucks and vans designed for the European market were inappropriate for American roads in order to promote the sale of American full sized v8 powered trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

2015 Ford F-150 4x2 SuperCrew 3.5L V-6: 4475 pounds
2014 Ford F-150 4x2 SuperCrew 3.7L V-6: 5128 pounds
2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 2wd 4.3L V-6: 4942 pounds
2014 Ram 1500 ST 4x2 Crew Cab 3.6L V-6: 4924 pounds
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x2 with 4.0L V-6 (6.5-ft bed)* : 5010 pounds
2014 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 4x2 with 4.6L V-8 (5.5-ft bed)*: 5335 pounds
2014 Porsche Panamera Turbo: 4510 pounds
2014 Audi A8 L TDI AWD: 4529 pounds
2015 Hyundai Genesis V-8: 4588 pounds (the Genesis V-6 AWD is only 2 pounds lighter than the 2015 F-150 SuperCrew at 4473 pounds)
2015 Kia K900 V-8: 4624 pounds
2014 Tesla Model S P85+: 4633 pounds
2014 Maserati Ghibli AWD: 4648 pounds
2014 Mercedes-Benz S550: 4786 pounds
2014 Rolls-Royce Wraith: 5328 pounds
2014 Rolls-Royce Ghost: 5500 pounds
2014 Bentley Flying Spur W-12, AWD: 5644 pounds

:stare:

A crew cab v6 f-150 weighs the same as v6 korean sedan.
edit: the hellcat challenger is around 4450 lbs.

edit 2:
2001 SVT lightning:
4702lb
380hp
450ft/lb
0-60: 5.2 seconds

base model 2015 F-150:
4475lbs + 168lbs(difference between current v6/EB) = 4643lbs
365hp
420ft/lb
0-60: ???

The reg cab/short box in the current f-150 is 307lbs lighter than the crew cab as well. The 5 liter is 106lbs heavier than the base V6, the EB is 168lbs heavier.

If those numbers carry over, it's reasonable to expect a reg cab/short box/v8 to be around 4275lbs. around the same as a charger.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 27, 2014