Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
^^^True that. And I think I'll always respect him as a physical actor. (To shanty Re: martin short)

Skwirl posted:

One place I lived in, there was a massive wasps nest in the space between our ceiling and the roof, and they ate enough of the ceiling that a stray basketball broke through and flooded my roommates room with wasps.

This is pretty hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

penismightier posted:

I was about to say Escape from New York is his best premise, but actually now that I think about it I think it's Prince of Darkness - trapped in a church performing science experiments on the devil is radtown USA.

Absolutely. Escape has style out the rear end but Prince of Darkness so many wild ideas in one. Halloween is the film that will make him known a hundred years from now. It's our Frankenstein.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Beyond sane knolls posted:

^^^True that. And I think I'll always respect him as a physical actor. (To shanty Re: martin short)

This is pretty hilarious.

In retrospect it's pretty funny, but at the time it was a loving horrible ordeal.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

I was about to say Escape from New York is his best premise, but actually now that I think about it I think it's Prince of Darkness - trapped in a church performing science experiments on the devil is radtown USA.

I think the parts with Lee Van Cleef talking to Kurt Russel are my favorite scenes in Carpenter's filmography.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

Oh, our little Dickeye is growing up.

See if there's a NOLA bookstore anywhere near you and grab everything they have on landlord/tenant relations. I'm not an expert and live on a completely different coast in a state with very different legal priorities, but this car bullshit sounds at the very least like something you can take the cost of out your next months rent. You weren't properly made aware of the parking restrictions for your building, nor was there any signage, and they made no effort to contact you.

One place I lived in, there was a massive wasps nest in the space between our ceiling and the roof, and they ate enough of the ceiling that a stray basketball broke through and flooded my roommates room with wasps. Said roommate was allergic to wasps, so he fled the apartment immediately while I had to spend a couple hours on the phone finding an exterminator, which isn't easy at 10 pm on a Saturday. Then I had to call the vet emergency, because my cat was trapped in there for an hour, thankfully he came out of it okay. I had to spend the night on the couch since there was a vent connecting my room and my room mates.

From what I understand the rights of the tenants in NC are as follows:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Literally The Worst posted:

From what I understand the rights of the tenants in NC are as follows:

That's why I said you need to look it up, there's a lot of case law (a judge says something is against the law, based on other laws, instead of there being a statute) on this stuff, but that varies widely by state and county.

Hammer Backspace
Jan 3, 2011

we're gonna throw a world domination slumber party and we're not inviting any boys!!!!
What do you guys think of Platoon? Because I don't know. It's a great film, don't get me wrong, but it feels like it should be way more of a shock to the senses than it actually is. And some of the choices made - I'm thinking of the final Charlie Sheen voiceover specifically - actively work against it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hammer Backspace posted:

What do you guys think of Platoon? Because I don't know. It's a great film, don't get me wrong, but it feels like it should be way more of a shock to the senses than it actually is. And some of the choices made - I'm thinking of the final Charlie Sheen voiceover specifically - actively work against it.

I think it's the best Viet Nam movie, personally. But more people here probably agree with you than with me.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I think the parts with Lee Van Cleef talking to Kurt Russel are my favorite scenes in Carpenter's filmography.

"President of what?" is the best line he ever wrote and Kurt Russell's best delivery ever.

Hammer Backspace posted:

The weird thing about Platoon is that it was shot by someone who unquestionably knew Vietnam better than any other filmmaker who took a crack at it, but for me it's the major Nam movie that evokes the least sensory feelings of any of them. Maybe it's the 80s filmstock and lighting?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

"President of what?" is the best line he ever wrote and Kurt Russell's best delivery ever.

"That's not funny, Plissken" is even better.

I listen to the soundtrack a lot and it includes those conversations and I'm always at first like "Oh, I'll skip the talking parts" but I never do.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Hammer Backspace posted:

Part of it is that "shocking movie about Vietnam" is a category with some pretty stiff competition, and part of it is probably that your watching the movie 40 years removed from the war. I think Ollie Stone fought in Vietnam, and it was just 10ish years after the war when it came out, so it was pretty fresh in a lot of peoples minds.

I agree though, I liked it when I saw it, but it didn't seem as powerful as it should have been for whatever reason. That's how I feel about Oliver Stone movies in general though, so that might be another part of the problem.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I listen to the soundtrack a lot and it includes those conversations and I'm always at first like "Oh, I'll skip the talking parts" but I never do.

Same but with Dead Man.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Hammer Backspace posted:

I'd probably have to watch it again, but I remember finding it kind of...I dunno, bland?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

"That's not funny, Plissken" is even better.

Another one that always gets me is the long pause before Isaac Hayes says "...on the hood of my car!" like it's just a whim he thought up on the spot. I find that... charming.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Absolutely. Escape has style out the rear end but Prince of Darkness so many wild ideas in one.

It's like someone took all the unrelated stories in one issue of EC Comics and smashed them together.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

Another one that always gets me is the long pause before Isaac Hayes says "...on the hood of my car!" like it's just a whim he thought up on the spot. I find that... charming.

That's great too. I also really love the way Van Cleef says "The Gullfire's waiting."

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

That's why I said you need to look it up, there's a lot of case law (a judge says something is against the law, based on other laws, instead of there being a statute) on this stuff, but that varies widely by state and county.

See my plan was to just shriek until their ears bleed and then gorge myself on their entrails. Yours sounds good too though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Skwirl posted:

Oh, our little Dickeye is growing up.

See if there's a NOLA bookstore anywhere near you
Haha, you had me going there. For a second I thought Dickeye had moved to New Orleans.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
The ending of Escape from New York is pretty much the best thing.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I love John Carpenter, but Escape From New York bores the poo poo out of me.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I saw a twofer of Murder, My Sweet and The Maltese Falcon last night, Murder, My Sweet was the one I'd never seen and was amazed at how stylish it was. It seems that a lot of noir tics are taken straight from that film. The best of Film Forum's noir series I've seen was Mildred Pierce, however.

Anonymous Robot posted:

I love John Carpenter, but Escape From New York bores the poo poo out of me.

Yeah, I find it surprisingly dull no matter how many times I watch it. Also, I really do have to say the Christine soundtrack is far better than that film deserves.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Rageaholic, would greatly appreciate food recs, tia

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Dude raved about packaged hummus, why are you asking him for food recs?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I hear they have good mexican food at this little place called chipotle

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yQIb2ouzuw

Some good recs here hth

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Slice of Life: Shortly before my last ex and I broke up, I bought her son Pokemon X. Now she's selling the 3DS and all the games—including Pokemon X—on a local auction site. My first reaction was, "Oh come on! I bought that on opening day! That was expensive!!"

Why I cared at all, I have no idea, but there it is.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Escape from L.A. owns and people who hate it can suck my dick. The basketball scene is the loving dumbest thing ever captured on celluloid, though.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Dickeye what made you in North Carolina? That place is horrible and govt. designed to gently caress people over. Man I wish you the best. You are having it rough.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

Dude raved about packaged hummus, why are you asking him for food recs?

Because dude lives in NOLA and I'm visiting NOLA and literally the only NOLA restaurant I know of is Cafe du Monde.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Because dude lives in NOLA and I'm visiting NOLA and literally the only NOLA restaurant I know of is Cafe du Monde.

Ask people in the street.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Haha, you had me going there. For a second I thought Dickeye had moved to New Orleans.

Ahh, poo poo.

Dickeye, search for a NOLO bookstore.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Ahh, poo poo.

Dickeye, search for a NOLO bookstore.

Nobody Only Lives Once?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I Before E posted:

Nobody Only Lives Once?

You Only Live Twice.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Hahahahaha

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Reading Dwayne Johnson's Facebook page, I can't tell if he genuinely believes in Hercules or if he's just trying to drum up interest.

CPL593H posted:

You Only Live Twice.
No One Lives Forever.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Hahahahaha

Kim Kardashian as Xena.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm so glad DC/Warner has decided to take a page from Marvel's book and use their movies as promotional tools for other movies that they'll regurgitate over and over until we're all dead.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
All this Carpenter chat has made me realize I've only ever seen The Thing. I think I'm gonna have to take some time and remedy that, maybe in release order.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Toebone posted:

All this Carpenter chat has made me realize I've only ever seen The Thing. I think I'm gonna have to take some time and remedy that, maybe in release order.

Not a bad way to do it, actually.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Toebone posted:

Don't get too eager, slugger. Carpenter jumped the shark hard later in life, so you don't need to watch everything he's made. If I had to make an Essential Carpenter list, it'd look like…

The Thing
Escape From New York
They Live
Halloween
Big Trouble in Little China
Assault on Precinct 13

I didn't personally like his debut, Dark Star, but some people love it, so give that a shot if you want to as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The only Classic Carpenter movie I haven't seen is Assult. I need to fix that soon. :(

Carpenter is one of my favorite all time directors. I could watch his films and listen to his scores all drat day. His cinematography is just so loving great. You could spot a Carpenter film easily without even knowing it was him. Which was how I saw They Live for the first time. I caught it on TV at like 3 in the morning when I was a kid. I knew it was Carpenter, but I had never seen it before. And knowing pretty much nothing about it, it was a crazy experience.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 26, 2014

• Locked thread