Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

I was about to ask 'what was wrong' with the idea of civilising the poor and working class, but then immediately realised the assumption that they are uneducated or uncivilised is a tremendously lovely thing to presume about an entire group aspect of society and the point is the term civilised shouldn't be applied to a society that treats people that way in the first place. Thanks for making me rethink my position on Metropolis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
What is the opposite of corporatism?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Schmorporatism.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Oh, let me tell you the story of a man named Charlie
Or did you catch it on the TV?
He put his food stamps in his pocket, kissed his wife and family
Went to build the wall in ol' Sydney

Charlie trusted the gov'ment so he toiled through the ferment
"Do your part to stop those damned Kaiju!"
Then the walls they came a-tumblin' and the earth began a-rumblin'
Stars and garters, now poor Charlie's through!

Well, did they ever return?
No, they never returned,
But the gears of greed still churn
They may build forever 'round the Rim Pacific
They're the men who never return

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 2, 2014

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

The opposite of corporatism is corporatism again, I'm afraid. It's not enough to negate it, you have to go through it.

Less Hegelian answer: no opposite.

Bongo Bill posted:

Schmorporatism.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

SHISHKABOB posted:

Corporatists are generally against both radical egalitarian movements, and liberalism (individualism, the unfettered free market, etc.).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

For all you kids looking forward to more Pacific Rim toys, NECA has a shitton of them planned including Otachi and several of the "blink and you miss them" Jaegers from the opening flashback montage.

Here's Guillermo del Toro with some of the new stuff, too. He is seriously the coolest dude.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

What a beautiful baby.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Here's Guillermo del Toro with some of the new stuff, too. He is seriously the coolest dude.

Not being a dick, but a fat man playing with toys isn't considered cool.

EDIT: Take a joke guys.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 25, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
278 pages into the Pacific Rim Thread, Szmitten weighs in with this utter f*cking bombshell. Holy Crap. The world may never be the same.

fascism

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

Szmitten posted:

a pro expert at being cool. right here. in the thread for the movie about megazords fighting godzillas. pro expert.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Szmitten posted:

EDIT: Take a joke guys.
Is leading a sentence off with "not being a dick" kinda like leading with "I don't mean to be racist, but"?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

I don't want to be racist, but the kaiju are incapable of reason and must be genocided for there to be peace.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Is leading a sentence off with "not being a dick" kinda like leading with "I don't mean to be racist, but"?

I saw a post with a picture of del Toro, known big man, cradling a toy, described as seriously cool. It was a funny contrast and I made a joke. No need to take it personally or bring racism into it.

Look, for what it's worth, I think the giant Gipsy Danger and Cherno Alpha are pretty dope and if they're actually posable and not just statuettes then great.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Hbomberguy posted:

I don't want to be racist, but the kaiju are incapable of reason and must be genocided for there to be peace.

I don't wanna sound like a queer or nothin', but Gipsy Danger is a really pretty name.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Xenomrph posted:

yea in this case that's :thejoke:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Szmitten posted:

I saw a post with a picture of del Toro, known big man, cradling a toy, described as seriously cool. It was a funny contrast and I made a joke. No need to take it personally or bring racism into it.

Look, for what it's worth, I think the giant Gipsy Danger and Cherno Alpha are pretty dope and if they're actually posable and not just statuettes then great.
No I totally get what you're saying, I was mostly giving you a hard time. :)

but I still think Del Toro is a cool dude, his attitude and enthusiasm is just completely infectious. Seeing him get all involved in goofy nerd-bait ancillary stuff like merchandise and videogames is just so uncommon in Hollywood. He's the biggest manchild ever, but he gets to make consistently entertaining and immensely creative huge-budget movies and completely nerd-out 110% while doing it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hbomberguy posted:

Unfortunately the Final Solution wasn't final enough and they only suicide bombed a military base and a bridge.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hbomberguy posted:

They're literal reptilians from another planet, this is a foregone conclusion.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Hbomberguy posted:

This but unironically. :madmax:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Death to literally all kaiju forever

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

We can't kill all of them, because then we wouldn't be able to do it all again in the sequel. We must keep them alive for sport and entertainment.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

That's implied by forever.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

K. Waste posted:

I don't wanna sound like a queer or nothin', but Gipsy Danger is a really pretty name.

MAY YOU LIVE FOREVER, FORUMS POSTER K. WASTE

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hbomberguy posted:

We can't kill all of them, because then we wouldn't be able to do it all again in the sequel. We must keep them alive for sport and entertainment.

I hope that happens then the only things left to fight are other Jaegers. Humans are the real monsters, right?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Mu Zeta posted:

I hope that happens then the only things left to fight are other Jaegers. Humans are the real monsters, right?

Pacific Rim turns into a Robot Jox spiritual sequel?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

A tournament where nations set aside their differences and solve their disputes by giant robots punching each other.

Basically a G-Gundam movie.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mu Zeta posted:

As noted earlier in the thread, Jaeger technology would simply be employed against the increasingly-despondent civilian population.

Militarization of various police forces is inevitable. Riot suppression.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

As noted earlier in the thread, Jaeger technology would simply be employed against the increasingly-despondent civilian population.

Militarization of various police forces is inevitable. Riot suppression.

The Jeagers themselves would be a little impractical for riot control, but adaptations of the drift technology could make for very effective co-ordination within military or police units. Given the stated rarity of drift compatible persons it would probably be more trouble for the hegemony to employ than whatever efficiency dividend they would reap from a police hivemind would be worth.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

A tournament where nations set aside their differences and solve their disputes by giant robots punching each other.

Basically a G-Gundam movie.

Someone pitch this to Hollywood right the gently caress now. SMG how do you feel about this:

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

FLYING IN THE SKY

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Neowyrm posted:

FLYING IN THE SKY

SHINNING FINGER

G Gundam is a really good show. Everything about it is just fun. I've not seen much Gundam but I've seen enough to know past a certain point they get really formulaic and uninspired. I haven't finished it yet but it seems pretty aware of how bad the status quo is, even if none of the main characters seem too aware of it. It manages to capture how rad piloting a giant robot would be but all the downsides of turning planet earth into a hellish wasteland.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Hbomberguy posted:

I was about to ask 'what was wrong' with the idea of civilising the poor and working class, but then immediately realised the assumption that they are uneducated or uncivilised is a tremendously lovely thing to presume about an entire group aspect of society and the point is the term civilised shouldn't be applied to a society that treats people that way in the first place. Thanks for making me rethink my position on Metropolis.

As a neat aside, Fritz Lang himself was embarassed by how Metropolis ended later in his life:

"You cannot make a social-conscious picture in which you say that the intermediary between the hand and the brain is the heart. I mean, that's a fairy tale – definitely."

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Japan understands other countries better than they do.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

As a neat aside, Fritz Lang himself was embarassed by how Metropolis ended later in his life:

"You cannot make a social-conscious picture in which you say that the intermediary between the hand and the brain is the heart. I mean, that's a fairy tale – definitely."

This is why I love the Giorgio Moroder restoration. Somehow a naive fairy tale seems a lot less naive with Pat Benatar and Freddie Mercury.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Somehow I think Metropolis wouldn't have been quite as good if it ended with "The intermediary between the hand and the brain is the labor relations board!" so I'm alright with the ending.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

You know those three things possessed by the majority of all humans? I think people should embody one and only one of those, seperately. Then they'd be forced to work together!

*globalism destroys planet earth*

James Hardon
May 31, 2006

Hbomberguy posted:

You know those three things possessed by the majority of all humans? I think people should embody one and only one of those, seperately. Then they'd be forced to work together!

*globalism destroys planet earth*

"..."

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Raku posted:

Somehow I think Metropolis wouldn't have been quite as good if it ended with "The intermediary between the hand and the brain is the labor relations board!" so I'm alright with the ending.

The mediator between head and hands must be destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Why?

• Locked thread