Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Americanization facilities has a certain ring to it:

quote:

Congresswoman Michele Bachmann has offered up a new solution to the humanitarian crisis along the US/ Mexico border, where tens of thousands of unaccompanied illegal immigrant children are currently being detained. And now she’s calling on President Barack Obama to help push forward a bipartisan effort to see her idea become a reality.

Bachmann’s plan? Send those children to labor camps, which she warmly refers to as “Americanization Facilities,” with the goal of having them pay off their past, present, and future care expenses, while assimilating them into American culture. And in exchange for that labor, the children would be fast-tracked on a path to citizenship.

During an interview with Minnesota’s Twin Cities News Talk, Bachmann revealed her plan while addressing the border crisis. “I’m calling on all of us, Obama and Congress and everyone, to chip in and build special new facilities… `Americanization’ facilities, if you will. And we’d send these kids to these facilities, in Arizona and Texas and wherever else. And we’d get private sector business leaders to locate to those facilities and give these children low-risk jobs to do. And they’d learn about the American way of life, earn their keep, and everyone wins in the end.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

comes along bort posted:

So Bachmann is trying to emulate Australia (except with more sympathy towards the migrants because they can become citizens too).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

comes along bort posted:

Poor Michelle. I guess her parents didn't let her watch cartoons or read comics as a kid, so she doesn't know how much she sounds like a villain from one of them.

I mean, either that, or her and a lot of politicians straight up forgot their entire childhood, or it got overwritten by their own propaganda or something. Either way, poor bastards.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

comes along bort posted:

Bachmann wants to round up the undesirables and put them into labor camps, concentrating them, if you will. Should we ask what she'll do with those too sick or weak to do labor?

It's a good thing Bachmann isn't against re-education camps or camps where people will be "volunteered" to do government work, and tried to use the same idea as a fearmonger tactic 5 years ago. Yup.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

E: it's satire

Dr.Zeppelin fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 27, 2014

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Agents are GO! posted:

As I understand it, cryptofacism is basically "thinking fascists are evil while simultaneously holding values that are perfectly in line with fascism."

I was being sardonic but yeah I don't get how someone pulls that out of being pro-capitalism.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

comes along bort posted:

Everything old is new again.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus
So, the Boehner lawsuit. Is there a dedicated thread for that or are we just waiting for more to develop?

The fundraising emails have been floating the idea that the lawsuit will open the door for impeachment and I don't see how it won't. Impeachment is exactly the mechanism designed to remedy these disputes between the legislative and executive branches.

Isn't that likely what any court would conclude.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Samurai Sanders posted:

Poor Michelle. I guess her parents didn't let her watch cartoons or read comics as a kid, so she doesn't know how much she sounds like a villain from one of them.

I mean, either that, or her and a lot of politicians straight up forgot their entire childhood, or it got overwritten by their own propaganda or something. Either way, poor bastards.

Sounds like her and Newt brainstormed out this idea. The idea of child labor from white children is too taboo, so we'll make immigrant children do it until they are old enough to go to war for us. It's not slavery, it's simply indentured servitude.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

DeusExMachinima posted:

I was being sardonic but yeah I don't get how someone pulls that out of being pro-capitalism.

Randian supermen are the first to say they should be able to dictate the every day lives of the poor. Because they are successful (and rich), they should have control. It amounts to fascism, despite lip-service to the free market principles that supposedly value autonomy.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
This isn't the idiots on facebook thread, but I just posted that Michele Bachmann article and well...

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Great_Gerbil posted:

So, the Boehner lawsuit. Is there a dedicated thread for that or are we just waiting for more to develop?

The fundraising emails have been floating the idea that the lawsuit will open the door for impeachment and I don't see how it won't. Impeachment is exactly the mechanism designed to remedy these disputes between the legislative and executive branches.

Isn't that likely what any court would conclude.
It's my understanding that yes, any court will tell Boehner to use impeachment like he's supposed to. But court cases take forever, even when the outcome is already known. A lawsuit know will hopefully get the idiot wing of the Republican Party to stop calling for impeachment until after the elections, because impeachment proceedings right now would almost definitely hurt them in the elections.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

This isn't the idiots on facebook thread, but I just posted that Michele Bachmann article and well...

As far as I'm concerned, children have a full time job...well, two full time jobs: learning and playing. Putting them in a forced labor camp is just inhumane.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

This story is from the National Report. It's satirical.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

comes along bort posted:

poo poo like this is why it makes me mad when people try to claim that Republicans aren't evil, just misguided.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

If so, I guess it fooled that Kansas City TV news site, and a lot of other sites through it. And me.

edit: and it's not sourced or anything. I'm from academia so I don't know how news agencies treat this, but don't you get disciplined for that at least?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jul 27, 2014

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

:stare:

In Canada, "residential school" is synonymous with "genocidal torture centre". Does the term have some other meaning in the US?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Rather telling that we can't tell the difference anymore.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

:stare:

In Canada, "residential school" is synonymous with "genocidal torture centre". Does the term have some other meaning in the US?

The US, as far as I know (and I may be wrong), never really went for the "take native children away from their families and brainwash them" thing. The American approach was more straightforward violence and then neglect and marginalization when white people didn't want their land.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Cythereal posted:

The US, as far as I know (and I may be wrong), never really went for the "take native children away from their families and brainwash them" thing. The American approach was more straightforward violence and then neglect and marginalization when white people didn't want their land.

We generally adopt native children to white families through the Department of Children And Families, even if an adequate family member is available. It's part neglect, to start with, but when the native parents are too poor to afford to care for their children, DCF comes in and takes the kids away from the reservation. Generations of native children have been Americanized this way.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Indian Schools started right before Civil Rights so... :shrug:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My mistake, then. Learned something new.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Rather telling that we can't tell the difference anymore.

This is exactly what conservatives say when they show up on literallyunbelievable for thinking that the Onion article about Obama's abortionplex is real.

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Is there a point to this style of "satire" beyond a self-satisfied gotcha! when it ends up on some gullible local news site? The National Report presents itself as a legitimate news source, the only difference is that all of its articles are false.

eta

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

This is exactly what conservatives say when they show up on literallyunbelievable for thinking that the Onion article about Obama's abortionplex is real.
There's an appreciable difference between those two situations. A cursory examination of TNR gives no evidence that it's anything but genuine: the articles aren't humorous, they're just straight-faced falsehoods. The Onion recognizes that satire involves more than lying to your audience and hoping they are misled.

T. Bombastus fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 27, 2014

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

T. Bombastus posted:

Is there a point to this style of "satire" beyond a self-satisfied gotcha! when it ends up on some gullible local news site? The National Report presents itself as a legitimate news source, the only difference is that all of its articles are false.

No, it's literally a tabloid.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

T. Bombastus posted:

eta
There's an appreciable difference between those two situations. A cursory examination of TNR gives no evidence that it's anything but genuine: the articles aren't humorous, they're just straight-faced falsehoods. The Onion recognizes that satire involves more than lying to your audience and hoping they are misled.

Why does it matter how TNR presents itself? Everyone here got suckered in by second-hand reporting of it and didn't even think to go to the source.

This is the exact same thing that happens when conservatives get suckered in by Facebook reposts of Facebook reposts of Duffel Blog or Daily Currant articles and the reaction is always "ha ha stupid Republicans can't even be bothered to do the minimal amount of homework needed to see if this is even true". If all you're going off of is second-hand information, the information is only as genuine as the second-hand source presents itself.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Why does it matter how TNR presents itself? Everyone here got suckered in by second-hand reporting of it and didn't even think to go to the source.

This is the exact same thing that happens when conservatives get suckered in by Facebook reposts of Facebook reposts of Duffel Blog or Daily Currant articles and the reaction is always "ha ha stupid Republicans can't even be bothered to do the minimal amount of homework needed to see if this is even true".
Like I said earlier though, that KCTV7 article was unsourced (except from a link to the radio show that the interview supposedly came from, but it didn't). I thought that coming from a professional news agency, that would mean it was their own work, but I guess I was naive.

edit: vvv oh wow, they put more effort into it than I thought.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 27, 2014

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

There is a real KCTV station in Kansas City, but it's KCTV5, not 7. That fake news site is really impressive at first glance, it fooled me until I dug deeper and found articles about the government spending $2.2 million to study why lesbians are fat and Michelle Obama getting a school to ban Chick fil-A. How the real KCTV hasn't C+D'd or sued this site out of existence is beyond me.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
^^ See, neither of those articles would be out of place in a wingnut rag.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

This is the exact same thing that happens when conservatives get suckered in by Facebook reposts of Facebook reposts of Duffel Blog or Daily Currant articles and the reaction is always "ha ha stupid Republicans can't even be bothered to do the minimal amount of homework needed to see if this is even true". If all you're going off of is second-hand information, the information is only as genuine as the second-hand source presents itself.

Except TNR is indistinguishable from a tabloid unless you're actively looking for evidence of satire.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

^^ See, neither of those articles would be out of place in a wingnut rag.

Except TNR is indistinguishable from a tabloid unless you're actively looking for evidence of satire.

But again, if no one actually goes to TNR to see what it looks like, it doesn't matter. The thought process is always "wow, [site I haven't seen before or otherwise have no reason to be skeptical of] is reporting something that confirms my beliefs, better not do any follow up on it." Sure, the Onion/Daily Currant/Duffelblog/etc. look way more obviously satirical if you go to any of those sites, but if all you're looking at is a second-hand reference to the story, it doesn't matter how it's presented on the original site.

E: And I fell for it too, I'm not going to pretend I was too smart not to. It's good to have an occasional reminder to not be intellectually lazy if you're going to claim the intellectual high ground.

Dr.Zeppelin fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 27, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ballz posted:

There is a real KCTV station in Kansas City, but it's KCTV5, not 7. That fake news site is really impressive at first glance, it fooled me until I dug deeper and found articles about the government spending $2.2 million to study why lesbians are fat and Michelle Obama getting a school to ban Chick fil-A. How the real KCTV hasn't C+D'd or sued this site out of existence is beyond me.

Because satire isn't illegal and the satire site isn't doing anything like outright duplicating the TV channel's layout?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Evil Fluffy posted:

Because satire isn't illegal and the satire site isn't doing anything like outright duplicating the TV channel's layout?

I would think that a case could be made when they're using their call letters and claiming to be a Kansas City TV station.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Awww.. crap.

I was picturing a nice wrought iron gate with "Trabajo os hace libres" in a decorative arch over it.

(Yes, yes, I used Google Translate - sorry)

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Good news for Republicans: 53% of Americans agree with Ann Romney that they should have voted for Romney in 2012.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

MrUnderbridge posted:

Awww.. crap.

I was picturing a nice wrought iron gate with "Trabajo os hace libres" in a decorative arch over it.

(Yes, yes, I used Google Translate - sorry)

Yeah, a Latin American would never say "os." It'd be something like "Trabajo se hace libre"

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Your point is taken, and there are parallels between the situations, but to my eye there's nothing in the TNR article that indicates it's satire. Onion articles are generally humorously written, and contain ludicrous or blatantly untrue statements. In the Abortionplex example you mentioned, there are lines like "this new complex allows us to devote our full attention to what has always been our true passion: abortion," and "Our hope is for this facility to become a regular destination where a woman in her second trimester can whoop it up at karaoke and then kick back while we vacuum out the contents of her uterus."

There's an appreciable difference between falling for The Onion and falling for TNR. A cursory comparison of front page headlines makes it clear that the former is a humor website utilizing the framework of a news organization, whereas the latter is to all appearances a legitimate source. The person most guilty of intellectual laziness here is the article writer who thinks deadpan deception is effective satire.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Satire is fine, using a station's call letters may be problematic. Just like I couldn't create a parody newspaper called "The New York Times"

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Someone better tell Karl Rove; maybe Romney can still pull out a victory in Ohio.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

But again, if no one actually goes to TNR to see what it looks like, it doesn't matter. The thought process is always "wow, [site I haven't seen before or otherwise have no reason to be skeptical of] is reporting something that confirms my beliefs, better not do any follow up on it." Sure, the Onion/Daily Currant/Duffelblog/etc. look way more obviously satirical if you go to any of those sites, but if all you're looking at is a second-hand reference to the story, it doesn't matter how it's presented on the original site.

E: And I fell for it too, I'm not going to pretend I was too smart not to. It's good to have an occasional reminder to not be intellectually lazy if you're going to claim the intellectual high ground.

Naw naw man see when my team does it it's not the same because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Ah well, even if he tries to make a comeback in 2016 he'll probably do something to spectacularly alienate enough voters again.

...at least that's what I tell myself, that he won't end up being Richard Nixon 2: Electric Boogaloo

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 27, 2014

• Locked thread