Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

p-hop posted:

My friend drew my character who is a witch.

Got spooky witchy occult pics? Post 'em. Characters, NPCs, backdrops, whatever. Let's witch up in this bitch.

This looks very pleasantly like something you'd see in an old Fighting Fantasy gamebook!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Apple Mummy
Oct 11, 2012

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
This is the cover art I commissioned for Spirit of 77, I'm absolutely giddy about how this turned out.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

That is phenomenal. Who's the artist?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Good call on the Cuda. Nobody gives the Cuda enough love.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Bucnasti posted:

This is the cover art I commissioned for Spirit of 77, I'm absolutely giddy about how this turned out.

Please let me know when I can purchase whatever product this is a cover for.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Replaced the Last Stand cover as my new desktop.

Super Armatron
Nov 10, 2005
crushing gripping lifting mutilating
I've got a pretty nonspecific request for some magical equipment. Weapons, armor, wondrous items of any description, if it's a cool looking piece of some adventuring swag, I'd like to see it.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

TheWyrmDude posted:

That is phenomenal. Who's the artist?

A studio called Conceptopolis did it. They were a dream to work with, fast turn around, lots of communication and responded well to all my feedback.

Lord Frisk posted:

Good call on the Cuda. Nobody gives the Cuda enough love.

Yeah that's Traveler, our ode to The General Lee. I made it a Cuda because my dad owned one in the 70's and he always regretted selling it.

Peas and Rice posted:

Please let me know when I can purchase whatever product this is a cover for.

We'll be kickstarting "soon" watch this thread or follow us on facebook

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bucnasti posted:

A studio called Conceptopolis did it. They were a dream to work with, fast turn around, lots of communication and responded well to all my feedback.

You don't have to answer this but do you mind if I ask how much the cost to commission this was?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

2spooky! :ghost:

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF
I'm playing a wandering mystic in a Dark Sun game. Give me images of your Yogis, Gurus and Itinerant Priests. Dark skin, heavy beards and balding are all major pluses!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Bucnasti posted:

That is goddamn dynomite!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
So Magic: the Gathering just did its first preview of its upcoming plane / setting, Khans of Tarkir. It's focused on five different clans worshiping aspects of the extinct dragons that used to live on their world, and it has a heavy Central Asian aesthetic.

Here's some cool rear end art they showed:

The Azban Houses:

The Jeskai Way:

The Sultai Brood:

The Mardu Horde:

The Temur Frontier:

other stuff:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
All human achievement has led up to this one moment, and it is glorious.

MagnesiumB
Apr 13, 2013
Dang, I might pick Magic back up for this set, those are all seriously cool.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Zorak posted:

The Mardu Horde:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

As awesome as that picture is, I'm just glad I'm not the only one who saw this.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
In the Temur one, I just want to point out that there is a mastiff warrior in the lower right.

Big, slobbery fightmans.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Hello, next character!

e: The dude. Not the bear.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Hulk Smash! posted:

Hello, next character!

e: The dude. Not the bear.

I don't know. A concussed bear could be a interesting character hook.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
I had a great 3.5 monk that could and would turn into a bear just because. This all backfired when I jumped through a second story window into a group of big game hunters who then got a surprise round against me.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I don't know. A concussed bear could be a interesting character hook.

"My name is Grizzles, and I'm a bear with amnesia who is somehow sure that bees killed my father."

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
So, I'm about to play a Gnome Commander for a skype-based 13th Age game. Unfortunately, I'm terrible at google and Gnome Commander is a GUI for GNOME. Also, World of Warcraft near-naked gnomes have taken over my GIS. :argh:

Please help me, people of the Hot Modrons! Gender not important, just looking for something neat that looks like he or she would be taken seriously after the initial "lol u short" reaction.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

thelazyblank posted:

So, I'm about to play a Gnome Commander for a skype-based 13th Age game. Unfortunately, I'm terrible at google and Gnome Commander is a GUI for GNOME. Also, World of Warcraft near-naked gnomes have taken over my GIS. :argh:

Please help me, people of the Hot Modrons! Gender not important, just looking for something neat that looks like he or she would be taken seriously after the initial "lol u short" reaction.

That is a tough one. This guy has an etsy shop full of combat (garden) gnomes, and that was the best I could find.

Still. The little guys do have a certain je ne sais quois:

atomicgeek fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 27, 2014

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

You don't have to answer this but do you mind if I ask how much the cost to commission this was?

I commissioned three pieces, one for the cover and two for the back cover/promotion. Total cost was $2500, a bit more than I was expecting to pay but I had a deadline.

thelazyblank posted:

I love gnomes and someplace I have a folder full of gnome PC images, here's a few that I could dig up:

If you don't mind the more cartoony style, the WoW TCG has a lot of good gnome images.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Bucnasti posted:

I commissioned three pieces, one for the cover and two for the back cover/promotion. Total cost was $2500, a bit more than I was expecting to pay but I had a deadline.

What's the size and medium of the final image? How long did it take? Just looking at what I should be charging and what type of time frame I should be working within if I ever do something similar.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Young Freud posted:

What's the size and medium of the final image? How long did it take? Just looking at what I should be charging and what type of time frame I should be working within if I ever do something similar.

This image is digital, roughly 18x12 at 300dpi. Big enough for me to print full sized posters, banners or other promotional items. It's also partially layered so I can remove/edit some elements (the lens flare, the border etc) if I need to for specific applications. The commission started at the beginning of the month, so it took about 3 weeks to get this one complete and the other two into color rough stages. I expect I'll have everything by the early next month, which is almost a month ahead of my deadline.

As for what you should be charging/offering in the future, in a previous job I assisted with art-direction for a TCG, we commissioned a lot of art, so I know quite a bit about the process, but it was years ago so this info might be out of date...

In general freelance artists want to book their art at least three months ahead of time, and keep the next three months booked so they can predict their revenue. Most of them will accept a premium to fit a project into their schedule in less time, but rush fees are usually pretty high.

At the time WotC was paying $800 per image (I've heard they just recently bumped it up to $1000), we were offering $1000 to get people to work for us instead. These prices were a little variable, sometimes you might offer a new artist a little less, or an artist in high demand a little more. For marquee pieces like packaging art or book covers the rates were higher than card art, usually starting at $1000 and going as high as $6000.

Different artists worked in different mediums, mostly digital but there were traditional artists working in water color, acrylic even a few old fashioned oil painters. As long as they could create high quality digital scans of the art we were able to use it just fine. The ones who do work in traditional medium typically make extra money by selling the originals, some of them can fetch thousands, even tens of thousands of dollars for an original piece. The size you work at is dependent on the application card art could often be produced at sizes around 1600x1200 (5x4inches) whereas packaging art was usually two to three times that size.

If you want some general advice for this type of work, always get a contract, stick to it and deliver on time. Art directors are always under the gun for time (commissioning art is one of the most time consuming parts of any project) and they will always favor good artists who consistently deliver on time over great artists who don't, and if you're a great artist who always delivers on time you will never want for work.

Wayback
Aug 16, 2004

I'm made of metal
My circuits gleam
I am perpetual
I keep the country clean
MTG's Kithkin are pretty gnome like: Here is a list of their cards. I've never been good at finding high res mtg art, but searching by the card name or artist would probably net some results.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

:smugdog:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

:smaug:

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
one of my players is looking for black fighters/armored soldiers. He likes the new D&D 5e guy from the first page of the PHB, but feels its more Ranger-ish. Any help?

i offer these as payment

edit: also found the original artwork i was talking about by Ralph Horsley

treeboy fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 31, 2014

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

treeboy posted:

one of my players is looking for black fighters/armored soldiers. He likes the new D&D 5e guy from the first page of the PHB, but feels its more Ranger-ish. Any help?

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Alright, it's settled, my next character will have an aye-aye familiar. drat, that works SO well.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

treeboy posted:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Do you have a source on this one? Because it owns so hard.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Y'all are forgetting one of the best pictures right here:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Do you have a source on this one? Because it owns so hard.

http://fantasyofcolor.tumblr.com/post/40463335812/kimbbearly-i-wasnt-going-to-post-this-i-drew-it