Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Off to one heck of a start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
quite honestly I won't be surprised if someone stones a member of WBC. Dunno why I was shaken by that, but I don't know what those assholes expect for stealing everyone's photos.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Dirk Pitt posted:

quite honestly I won't be surprised if someone stones a member of WBC. Dunno why I was shaken by that, but I don't know what those assholes expect for stealing everyone's photos.

I feel like that would've happened by now if it was going to.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I'm a few minutes behind live due to watching true blood. Is the GR pushing the chief's wife to the curb?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Ummm. Something doesn't add up. How can the chiefs wife have a flashback to the stoning if she wasn't there?

GR did 9/11.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Liv Tyler is cool kid in the corner smoking a cig.

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Is a meat patty something or nothing?
What the hell was that bag thing? Did I miss something?

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I can't watch until later or possibly tomorrow. Can someone tell me what happens in the opening exactly?

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Are all these random little things that happen to the chief and don't seem to have any purpose at all eventually going to amount to something

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

stuart scott irl posted:

Are all these random little things that happen to the chief and don't seem to have any purpose at all eventually going to amount to something

Probably.

nopants
May 29, 2004
He was dead all along.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
So did Matt have something to do with the first scene's stoning of the tubby GR woman? Or was he offending Garvey's wife by dishing them a little of their poo poo?

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

I'm really happy at where they took Father Matt's storyline this episode. I was really worried about them pursuing a storyline where he turns straight up criminal in getting revenge on the GR. I'm gonna be super disappointed if they go for the twist of having his group actually have done the murder.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
I was very pleased with that episode. Just weird enough.

Edit: Look's like next week's episode is a character focused episode on Nora. :getin:

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
Who is Neil? Did chatty kathy poo poo in that bag she left? Aren't you supposed to set it on fire?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dirk Pitt posted:

I was very pleased with that episode. Just weird enough.

Edit: Look's like next week's episode is a character focused episode on Nora. :getin:

Can't wait.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
This show rules. Tonight's opening scene was nauseating. Next week looks wonderful.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Mr. Boogie posted:

I'm really happy at where they took Father Matt's storyline this episode. I was really worried about them pursuing a storyline where he turns straight up criminal in getting revenge on the GR. I'm gonna be super disappointed if they go for the twist of having his group actually have done the murder.
Yeah - he's apparently taking a very high road in getting revenge against the cult: trying to save at least some of its members. I really like the guy, and I'd also be super disappointed, but I don't think we have to worry. His defining trait is perseverance, and going violent is a sure way to fail at what he's set out to do. Even if the murder had successfully scared some of the members away, that wouldn't exactly be "bringing them back to life."

LmaoTheKid posted:

Ummm. Something doesn't add up. How can the chiefs wife have a flashback to the stoning if she wasn't there?
I see your point. The cult secretly executing one of its own would certainly harden an us vs. them attitude for the people who weren't in on it, and repressed guilt from having participated in the murder would explain the panic attacks quite well - she's been trying not to feel anything, per the party line, but some emotions are powerful enough that they are going surface in some form no matter what you do to keep them down. But I think that she was just imagining how terrible the death must have been. Much of the episode seemed to be devoted to showing us that, despite the character's general shittiness, she's retained some humanity.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

This show rules.
Indeed.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 28, 2014

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
When Garvey answered his iPhone, it said "Agent Kilkenny." When the conversation turned to eradicating the GR and he moved it from his ear, it said "Unknown."

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Ersatz posted:

Yeah - he's apparently taking a very high road in getting revenge against the cult: trying to save at least some of its members. I really like the guy, and I'd also be super disappointed, but I don't think we have to worry. His defining trait is perseverance, and going violent is a sure way to fail at what he's set out to do. Even if the murder had successfully scared some of the members away, that wouldn't exactly be "bringing them back to life."

Right, I definitely saw a lot of speculation about him going bad in a quest for revenge at the end of Episode 3 though, and I'm glad they don't seem to be going that route. But the fact that the killers from the opening scene, a group of people, have yet to be revealed, and this episode also introduced us to Matt's new group, has me a bit worried they might go for that lame twist.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

beanieson posted:

Who is Neil? Did chatty kathy poo poo in that bag she left? Aren't you supposed to set it on fire?

I was guessing that it was Liv Tyler's ex-fiance who got a bag full of poo poo addressed to him. Or maybe it was someone in Patty's life.

But I'm going to be pretty resolute that it was poo poo in that doggy bag.

I also like the whole HottyMcCop vs the DogShooter dynamic. Like he's some armed, tobacco-chewing version of The Cableguy, who is miffed that the chief didn't want to hang out and drink yingers.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Mr. Boogie posted:

Right, I definitely saw a lot of speculation about him going bad in a quest for revenge at the end of Episode 3 though, and I'm glad they don't seem to be going that route. But the fact that the killers from the opening scene, a group of people, have yet to be revealed, and this episode also introduced us to Matt's new group, has me a bit worried they might go for that lame twist.
Yeah, I'd definitely downgrade my opinion of the show if they do that.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Matt is just being a nice guy.

Neil isn't anyone we've met, yet.

The wife didn't have literal flashbacks.

You guys are astoundingly bad at interpreting television shows.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

LmaoTheKid posted:

GR did 9/11.

Funny thing is, I thought the GR probably did it, but it never occurred to me (till now) that the chief's wife was there and was having flashbacks to it, and this is so even though I noted that the image was one she couldn't have seen, or so I thought. (I just thought it was license on the part of the director or whoever using something she imagined, but now I think differently.) For me, I came to think early on in the episode and later on in it--I wavered in there for a bit--that the GR did it merely because of the early scene between Gladys and Patty. What on Earth could that scene mean if not that Gladys (uh, and Patty too) knew what was coming, and if she and Patty knew then who else but the GR or some front for them could have done it?

EDIT: the chief's wife also found the body, so it could be just that as far as what she saw. I didn't check the possible "flashback" shot for similarity or lighting because I couldn't find that shot easily when I briefly looked. It really wouldn't matter because there can be continuity errors anyhow; unless I missed something intentionally subtle, there is, for example, a simple continuity error with the writing of Neil on the bag (as the lines under it connect with the "l" at first but not in the later scene, if my memory can be trusted).

My suspicion about the GR doing it due to the early scene still stands, but I don't know one way or the other about the involvement of the chief's wife (ex-wife?).

Onomarchus fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jul 28, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Didn't Lindelof say that all the purgatory theories were wrong in another highly publicized context and then renege on it later? I can't recall.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Remember that it's allegedly been "months" since Matt was hit in the face with the rock and lost his church. And his group was wearing all black. I'm not ruling him out for the stoning TBH.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Surprised at how little fallout there was from the GR's mass break and enter.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Stoning a person to death is "little"?

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

The Dave posted:

Stoning a person to death is "little"?

I mean legally.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Ah okay. My best guess would be there wasn't really any convicting evidence it was them, even though everyone knows.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Theme spotted: loss (duh)

Garvey loses something trivial and flips out about it every episode (that he's featured)
- bagel
- baby Jesus
- white shirts

Which are all just projections of the loss of his wife to the GR.

All the other characters are constantly losing things as well, like Matt's church, death of Gladys, Jill's lighter, people's photos of their loved ones, etc.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

messagemode1 posted:

Theme spotted: lost (duh)

:ohdear:

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Haven't seen much talk of it here, but what do people make of that ATF agent asking Garvey if he would like them (the ATF) to take care of the GR "infestation"? Was this an hallucination or a real offer akin to what happened at Wayne's compound?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Toshimo posted:

The wife didn't have literal flashbacks.

Cool, thanks for clearing that up. I too have exact memories of things that I wasn't a part of which flash back into my memory after I've had a mysterious panic attack. But I'm glad you can say without a doubt that it's not at least a possibility.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Haven't seen much talk of it here, but what do people make of that ATF agent asking Garvey if he would like them (the ATF) to take care of the GR "infestation"? Was this an hallucination or a real offer akin to what happened at Wayne's compound?

They are doing their damndest to make us think Kevin's losing it, but then playing it off with things like ~the bagel~ or Dean.

Given the change to the caller id, it could go either way on this one.

bryn987
May 31, 2014
The burning of the body at the end was odd. Any ideas?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I was kind of distracted when the shirt thing was resolving, where those his actual shirts or did the dry cleaner just start giving him random white shirts because he was scared?

tatopom
Apr 9, 2009

Toshimo posted:

They are doing their damndest to make us think Kevin's losing it, but then playing it off with things like ~the bagel~ or Dean.

Given the change to the caller id, it could go either way on this one.

Yeah I'm on the fence about this. I thought the voice on the call went from normal to a stereotypical TV "evil murder genie" voice. Was it just me but did anyone else notice a shift in the voice? (or maybe they just muted the background noise in the scene and made the caller voice deeper and clearer)

But yeah on the other hand it could totally be real and not the hallucination. I mean there's an ATF corpse processing factory and the guys who raided the HugCult were pretty trigger happy. Maybe in the world of the show the feds can be blase about suggesting a massacre?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Dantu posted:

I was kind of distracted when the shirt thing was resolving, where those his actual shirts or did the dry cleaner just start giving him random white shirts because he was scared?

The latter, most likely.

tatopom posted:

Yeah I'm on the fence about this. I thought the voice on the call went from normal to a stereotypical TV "evil murder genie" voice. Was it just me but did anyone else notice a shift in the voice? (or maybe they just muted the background noise in the scene and made the caller voice deeper and clearer)

The voice definitely changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

LmaoTheKid posted:

Cool, thanks for clearing that up. I too have exact memories of things that I wasn't a part of which flash back into my memory after I've had a mysterious panic attack. But I'm glad you can say without a doubt that it's not at least a possibility.

A simple explanation is that she saw the dead body, the bloody stones and the damage to her friend's face and then was imagining the violence actually happening. It's also not a "mysterious panic attack" when you have discovered your friend's bloody beaten body and have expectations that the same kind of violence might happen to you.

• Locked thread