Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.

Ribsauce posted:

Raleigh's local afternoon show, Adam Gold and Joe Ovies, is actually pretty good compared to pretty much any other local sports radio I have heard. I used to listen to radio streams from random cities a lot and I really do think this local show is a lot better than what most other cities have.

Howard Stern is the greatest of all time

Respectfully dissent, Raleigh has some of the worst sports radio I've ever heard. Enjoyed sports radio in DC though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Kibner posted:

I have a 40 minute drive to work and switch between that, NPR, and my own music.

Do yourself a favor and look into podcasts.

For your own sanity.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

morestuff posted:

How do this many people actually listen to sports radio?

Only when I'm in Pittsburgh because like every male born between 1978 and 1984 that grew up in or near that city I had a blue and black THE X sticker on my car and that's my go-to radio station and you're sitting there like "hey I remember this Smashing Pumpkins song" and trying to forget that the X is what DVE was 20 years ago and your tastes are rapidly turning into dad rock and then pow Mark Madden's fat rear end out of nowhere like a lion bursting through the bush to shriek about hockey

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

swizz posted:

Respectfully dissent, Raleigh has some of the worst sports radio I've ever heard. Enjoyed sports radio in DC though

It's bad in DC too.

Kornheiser is ok I guess

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

Kibner posted:

I have a 40 minute drive to work and switch between that, NPR, and my own music.

I do a 30 minute drive and like sports enough to be posting about them on the internet, and I never considered sports radio to be an actual option. Anytime you listen to sports radio, you would be better served listening to a podcast, including sports ones. It's not like the bar is very high either.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ayn rand hand job posted:

WEEI has been in an utter tailspin. Within the past two or three years they've:
1. Broke up a popular midday show to give Ordway a new co-host. (Michael Holly)
2. Fired Ordway
3. Brought in Mike Salk to co-host with Holly.
4. Watch Mike Salk say gently caress it and leave Boston fifty one weeks into his tenure.
5. Listen to Pete Sheppard excoriate the station's higher management during a weekend shift as he announced he was getting off the ship.
6. Tried to promote Kirk Minihane on the afternoon drive show as a possible host, eventually putting him on the morning show.
7. Keep two racist white dudes who are ardent John McCain and Mitt Romney supporters on the morning show
8. Kept Mikey Adams employed.
9. Reform popular midday show during afternoon drive to save some face after the Salk debacle
10. Discontinued the Whiner Line.
11. Broke up another midday show because their Red Sox anchor left.
12. Lost the radio rights to the Boston Celtics.
13. Watch audiences and advertising revenues continually shrink.

It was interesting, WEEI made stupid decisions all the time before. But once 98.5 The Sports Hub broke the monopoly, there actually were listenership consequences to making bad programming decisions.

Not that 98.5 isn't garbage in terms of content, too, it's just somewhat better managed.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

So It Goes posted:

I do a 30 minute drive and like sports enough to be posting about them on the internet, and I never considered sports radio to be an actual option. Anytime you listen to sports radio, you would be better served listening to a podcast, including sports ones. It's not like the bar is very high either.

I like the occasional bit on Mike&Mike. They can be entertaining every couple days. Listening live to Caliendo reading the LeBron letter as Morgan Freeman was pretty cool. They get the least amount of time on my radio.

The local radio stations talk about what's going on with the teams I care about without me having to go through TigerDroppings or SaintsReport. They usually avoid talking about drama-type stuff unless it is something like hospitalizing a man in a bar fight. When they start talking about sports as a whole is when I tune out.

NPR is usually awesome (except Prairie Home Companion :barf:). I wish they did "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" every day instead of just weekly, though. I guess I could start up one of their interviews before I get in the car since those are all well done.

In general, I don't care enough about non-Louisiana teams to listen to the more general sport podcasts. I also don't hold out much hope for the locally produced ones to be any good.

----

I hope that when Ray Rice plays in the third game of the Raven's season, the announcers say something like "Here comes Ray Rice, back from his two game suspension for knocking his wife unconscious during a domestic dispute."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Prairie Home Companion owns, you shut your mouth.

WWDTM is fantastic, though. I time driving on the weekends to listen to it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Prairie Home Companion owns, you shut your mouth.

This is some First Take worthy trolling right here.

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

I can put up with Mark Madden's shtick because he's actually surprisingly progressive and open minded when it comes to social issues. But then to balance out his poignant points he usually follows up with something super misogynistic.

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

Anybody not named Josh Miller or Chris Mueller on The Fan is absolutely awful though.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

morestuff posted:

How do this many people actually listen to sports radio?

Because I am a man.

WSJ posted:

Politically correct, inadequate education, along with the decline of America's brawny industrial base, leaves many men with "no models of manhood," she says. "Masculinity is just becoming something that is imitated from the movies. There's nothing left. There's no room for anything manly right now." The only place you can hear what men really feel these days, she claims, is on sports radio. No surprise, she is an avid listener. The energy and enthusiasm "inspires me as a writer," she says, adding: "If we had to go to war," the callers "are the men that would save the nation."

Hey Dan first time caller, 5'8" 275. *ding*

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Gerund posted:

How was Mike Salk during his Boston year? He came back with a promotion, his old show at a new time 7-10 (p much dead air before) and complaining he missed the superbowl run.

Not horrible? I stopped listening after they dropped the Whiner line a week in, but he was pretty bland from what I remember.

WEEI has been on the slide for a while (see my bigass post for some of the highlights) so him jumping ship shouldn't be taken as a bad thing.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The face of WFAN is Mike Francesa, who is a pompous blowhard, but he's somehow become a mascot of sorts. I can't stand him.

Joe and Evan have the midday show. I don't always agree with them, but unlike Mike, they don't take sports extremely seriously, and are willing to listen to opinions that aren't theirs. Plus, Joe's existential angst over the Jets is always funny.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

zakharov posted:

The face of WFAN is Mike Francesa, who is a pompous blowhard, but he's somehow become a mascot of sorts. I can't stand him.

Joe and Evan have the midday show. I don't always agree with them, but unlike Mike, they don't take sports extremely seriously, and are willing to listen to opinions that aren't theirs. Plus, Joe's existential angst over the Jets is always funny.

Francesa is the king pompous blowhard in a city full of pompous blowhards. It's easy to see why he's a big deal there.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

zakharov posted:

Joe and Evan are pretty much the only thing I listen to anymore regularly on WFAN. I love it this time of year when they fill in for Mike in the afternoon and sing along to the theme to point out how ridiculous it is

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Pittsburgh goons: Any of you on Dejan Kovacevic's new site?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Pittsburgh goons: Any of you on Dejan Kovacevic's new site?

Hahahaha gently caress no

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Mornacale posted:

Hahahaha gently caress no

The other day I saw that they claimed to have over 750 subscribers, about half which signed up for three years. Frankly, I'm impressed by any amount over "zero". I never ever read his columns when they were free.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Cart Mountain posted:

Anybody not named Josh Miller or Chris Mueller on The Fan is absolutely awful though.
Angry George from North Versailles would disagree with that
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/audio/starkey-mueller/
:allears:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

ElwoodCuse posted:

The other day I saw that they claimed to have over 750 subscribers, about half which signed up for three years. Frankly, I'm impressed by any amount over "zero". I never ever read his columns when they were free.

Most I ever did was follow his Twitter, then he blocked me for making fun of how he constantly picks fights with bloggers who know more about baseball than him.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
I like listening to SVP and Rusillo, and Dan LeBatard is pretty good when he's not doing his stupid loving Heat just won a playoff series rants. I rarely go on long enough drives to necessitate entire podcasts, and when I go on long drives I usually just talk to someone on the phone via bluetooth, so sports radio holds me over on the brief ten to fifteen minute jaunts around Gainesville. Gainesville's actual local guys aren't too bad either, just kinda friendly goofy older guys for the most part, though one guy has been such an unbelievable Muschamp defender that it's impossible to believe he's not on the AD's payroll.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I listen to LeBatard's show via podcast at work, and it's a great antidote to the usual sports show.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
The only good sports radio show is Finebaum roll drat tide Pawwwl

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I listen to LeBatard's show via podcast at work, and it's a great antidote to the usual sports show.

I've enjoyed it even through the Heat playoffs. Hoping they get John Amechi on more regularly as co-host because he's fantastic and unintentionally pisses off all the right people.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I think if Amaechi wasn't living in the UK he would be doing it, especially since SVG can't anymore.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Lebatard's show is really funny, and I could listen to Stugotz mispronounce words every day for the rest of my life.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Boers and Bernstein in Chicago is v good. :unsmith:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Apparently the LeBatard show producers tried to get a full page ad into the Cleveland Plain Dealer that looked like this, but were rebuffed:

Would have been a great trolling, but oh well

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

Apparently the LeBatard show producers tried to get a full page ad into the Cleveland Plain Dealer that looked like this, but were rebuffed:

Would have been a great trolling, but oh well

Is it really great trolling to buy an ad in a paper nobody reads?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Those fans do have a point, how could the Heat have won game 6 two years ago without being carried to victory by their rabid fans?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Great trolls don't have to make sense, they just have to piss people off.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

god drat that's awesome

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I would like to shake Martin Kramer's hand.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Sally won't be able to read that since she doesn't get the Post delivered to her Ivory Tower in New York.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

i'm gonna fuckin die

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
please put that on my tombstone when i die

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
The best part is someone comparing Ray Rice to Fred Flinstone, and someone else sticks up for Fred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Well Sally tweeted a mea culpa so good for her to acknowledge the outside world.