Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Since we're talking about podcast players, what's a good player that will sync what I have and haven't listened to between computers? I switch between a android, laptop, and computer depending on where I am but currently I'm always lost on what I've already heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cronox2
Jul 24, 2010

woah, you look
REALLY pissed off...
I really hope there's a happy ending to the "Alex opens a retro gaming bar" saga on No More Whoppers because I feel so bad for laughing at his Japanese bank stories this week.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

cronox2 posted:

I really hope there's a happy ending to the "Alex opens a retro gaming bar" saga on No More Whoppers because I feel so bad for laughing at his Japanese bank stories this week.

Yeah me too. I've had my fingers crossed for him for a while.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Since no one mentioned it, I'm using InstaCast for iOS and it works very well. It's apparently very similar to Downcast but I started using Insta first and just never stopped.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

cronox2 posted:

I think I'm going to wind up maiming myself one day at the gym while listening to No More Whoppers.

Hawaiian Shirt
Oct 10, 2006

I barely even drink a lot

bobservo posted:

Our newest Retronauts episode is all about RPG battle systems—enjoy and stuff: http://www.retronauts.com/?p=846

I was the biggest SaGa Frontier apologist until I actually read a guide on how the ability learning mechanics work and it's goddamn inexcusable. Certain characters couldn't even learn high level attacks of specific weapon types and there was a super wrestling move that needed five other attacks arranged in the right order and there were katana abilities which were separate from sword abilities and aaaagh. It all clicked when I was younger but that was apparently straight luck. I loved the setting and music and poo poo but the mechanics were just madness.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Hawaiian Shirt posted:

I was the biggest SaGa Frontier apologist until I actually read a guide on how the ability learning mechanics work and it's goddamn inexcusable.

While I'm not going to make excuses for sagafro (which I don't like partly for entirely different reasons, although the addition of the combowhatsit system is also a detriment), I am a huge fan of Romancing SaGa 2-3 ... but I think they're more fun if you have access to a thorough guide to how the goddamn mechanics actually work and what all the hidden (or sometimes outright falsely advertised) stats are and can make actual informed decisions. (Fortunately if you read japanese these games have been analyzed to exhaustive detail.)

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Hawaiian Shirt posted:

I was the biggest SaGa Frontier apologist until I actually read a guide on how the ability learning mechanics work and it's goddamn inexcusable. Certain characters couldn't even learn high level attacks of specific weapon types and there was a super wrestling move that needed five other attacks arranged in the right order and there were katana abilities which were separate from sword abilities and aaaagh. It all clicked when I was younger but that was apparently straight luck. I loved the setting and music and poo poo but the mechanics were just madness.

I actually watch Let's Plays of SaGa games just so I can get ANGRIER.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I own Unlimited SaGa. Came with my PS2 10 years ago.
I still don't know how to play it.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Heck, I know people that've beaten Unlimited SaGa a couple times and still don't know how to play it.

It's a mysterious beast!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Somewhere around here I have the imported US guide, which, even doubling as an artbook, weighs in at a massive pagecount (I want to say 400-500 pages). I still don't know dick-all about what I'm doing in that game, but I love it unconditionally.

It's me. I'm the guy who keeps going back to SaGa games. They still love me like I love them.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I've been behind on my Giant Bombcast and I just got to the part where Dan described his eating habits and dear God. I would call him a child but at least children have had ketchup on a hamburger.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wait til you hear his egg "whites" story

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't know what to say about the latest Abject Suffering so I hope stone-faced applause while tears slowly roll down my cheeks will suffice.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I also like how Gary has an adoption complex; first Andre, now Crick. :allears:

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Rei_ posted:

How's the Super Best Friendcast been lately? I dropped it after Liam got to be a bit too much for me.

It's a lot smoother than it used to be. Granted I've been a Best Friends watcher/listener since before they even got on Machinima, but I've always been in the same "gently caress Liam jesus loving christ" boat as you. He has gotten better about not being a obstinate whiney nerd every time an argument isn't going his way on the podcast. He's better at going with the flow than he used to be.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

umalt posted:

I also like how Gary has an adoption complex; first Andre, now Crick. :allears:

I've got some garbage parents!

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

I'm proud to say I solved the Crickler Ordeal.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

:drac:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Needs more chrome demons.

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

Al! posted:

I've been behind on my Giant Bombcast and I just got to the part where Dan described his eating habits and dear God. I would call him a child but at least children have had ketchup on a hamburger.

I went through a stage of being annoyed by Dan, but some of the things he struggles with and his attempt at cooking egg whites makes me think that he may have some genuine developmental issues and now I just feel sad that Jeff tried to hire a new Ryan and ended up with Dan :(

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I like how Dan is literally a 3rd rock from the sun character. It's funny and I feel like he puts it on a bit for comedic effect anyway.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I'm not annoyed by Dan, he is actually pretty funny. When I heard he was like 30 my brain melted, it's like he was grown in a vat and only released 2 years ago.

Edit: that "egg whites" bit really makes me rethink my stance on alien visitations.

Al! fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 1, 2014

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

Calico Noose posted:

I went through a stage of being annoyed by Dan, but some of the things he struggles with and his attempt at cooking egg whites makes me think that he may have some genuine developmental issues and now I just feel sad that Jeff tried to hire a new Ryan and ended up with Dan :(

Dan Ryckert is a Real American Hero.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Dan is just that good at being kayfabe. When the cameras go off and and everyone goes home. He puts on his velvet smoking jacket, lights his pipe and turns on some smooth jazz and goes about translating the original text of the Sanskrit Ramayana (adding his own footnotes of course) in his study/parlor.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Nah, he discusses Koyaanisqatsi with his film club while sampling small batch craft beers.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

No I'm pretty sure he reports back to Ordson every night.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

gently caress the Danielle RI accent haters :colbert:

Chris Remo ‏@chrisremo 21m
@fullbright @Danielleri @idlethumbs http://vimeo.com/102391697

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

Xtanstic posted:

gently caress the Danielle RI accent haters :colbert:

Chris Remo ‏@chrisremo 21m
@fullbright @Danielleri @idlethumbs http://vimeo.com/102391697

This was terrific.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
It's crazy that they did kinetic type of the overtalk.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

thark posted:

While I'm not going to make excuses for sagafro (which I don't like partly for entirely different reasons, although the addition of the combowhatsit system is also a detriment), I am a huge fan of Romancing SaGa 2-3 ... but I think they're more fun if you have access to a thorough guide to how the goddamn mechanics actually work and what all the hidden (or sometimes outright falsely advertised) stats are and can make actual informed decisions. (Fortunately if you read japanese these games have been analyzed to exhaustive detail.)

Yeah I like RS3 and Saga/FFL2 and despite being a confirmed fan of a few games in the series I still don't like Saga Frontier and think SF2 and series prototype Final Fantasy 2 are among the worst games of any kind I've ever played. Every time somebody says FF2 isn't the worst Final Fantasy or that the myriad remakes of it "fixed" it I cringe and seize up and want to fight someone, feelings I never ever get for videogames otherwise.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Yeah I like RS3 and Saga/FFL2 and despite being a confirmed fan of a few games in the series I still don't like Saga Frontier and think SF2 and series prototype Final Fantasy 2 are among the worst games of any kind I've ever played. Every time somebody says FF2 isn't the worst Final Fantasy or that the myriad remakes of it "fixed" it I cringe and seize up and want to fight someone, feelings I never ever get for videogames otherwise.

It's a real shame too because the SaGa games could be really fun, unique RPGs if Kawazu just ironed out some of the rough spots.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Wait, so people abbreviate Saga Frontier as Sagafro? Sag Afro? That's fuckin' delightful.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Not to steal Bob's line but I guested on the most recent Retronauts Pocket and it was super fun and you should listen to it. http://www.retronauts.com/?p=853

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:
Kerbalcast - Episode 13: "On The Plain At Hadley" :jeb:
Featuring:
Progress Update - Nos makes a rolly and a swimmy! Biff girds his girders! Over 9000 downloads!
Crew Report: we read your letters
Mission Briefing including "This Game Saved My Life"
As The Kerbin Turns
But I Digress: 43rd Anniversary of Apollo 15 mission

http://kerbalpodcast.libsyn.com

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Not that many people here will care, but it looks like Garnett Lee's new podcast is pretty much dead after only seven episodes. Nothing official, but I've seen enough of these things just peter out for it to stink of no interest on the podcaster's part.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
That reminded me that Jeff Cannata has a podcast and a quick google reveals it's here http://5by5.tv/dlc with Christian Spicer.

I have no idea how good it is but they have already done 34 episodes so I'll give it a go this week some time.

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

Jippa posted:

That reminded me that Jeff Cannata has a podcast and a quick google reveals it's here http://5by5.tv/dlc with Christian Spicer.

I have no idea how good it is but they have already done 34 episodes so I'll give it a go this week some time.

I'll usually follow Jeff anywhere, but I really don't like listening to Spicer, so that show didn't do much for me.

His new show with Anthony Carboni, We Have Concerns, on the other hand is fantastic. It's not about video games, but it's really funny. I really like the format, they release three ~20 minute episodes a week, each one concentrating on one topic or newsstory and them talking about it. Episode 6 is my favourite so far, but any episode will do if you wanna try it out.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Vastakaiun posted:

I'll usually follow Jeff anywhere, but I really don't like listening to Spicer, so that show didn't do much for me.

His new show with Anthony Carboni, We Have Concerns, on the other hand is fantastic. It's not about video games, but it's really funny. I really like the format, they release three ~20 minute episodes a week, each one concentrating on one topic or newsstory and them talking about it. Episode 6 is my favourite so far, but any episode will do if you wanna try it out.

Thanks for this. I'm not spicer's biggest fan either but would have at least given it a shot. This podcast you link was actually the one I heard about but forgot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tweek-
Jul 13, 2014

Mr Scumbag posted:

Not that many people here will care, but it looks like Garnett Lee's new podcast is pretty much dead after only seven episodes. Nothing official, but I've seen enough of these things just peter out for it to stink of no interest on the podcaster's part.

Absolutely loved weekend confirmed so I gave this a try but the one man show is kinda boring.
Still enjoy garnett but with other people around like jeff cannata :)

• Locked thread