Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.
I remember when we were all spitballing ideas for how to make the cold loop physics-correct. One idea was to have a hose of liquid nitrogen spray onto the cold loop pipes to cool the gas down. The best part being the hose could be re-directed towards the station :getin:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
I was always partial to the one wherein we superheat shards of metal, and fire them through space, then collect the cooled bits on the other side after they've radiated out all their heat. :black101:

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Just had my first few rounds where I managed to stay through the whole thing! Got eaten by a ling in the first one (unsurprising) and fell to floor pills in the second. I have to admit, eating a single pill and having the entire chat explode at me in red text was kind of amazing. Now it's just a matter of actually learning how to do stuff instead of wandering around and pissing people off with the mop and bucket.

Razage
Nov 12, 2007

I'm sorry,
I can't hear you over the sound of how HIP I am.

Galick posted:

Now it's just a matter of actually learning how to do stuff instead of wandering around and pissing people off with the mop and bucket.

The whole point of learning to do things is that you then realize that this is what you should have been doing all along. Doing things takes effort.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
It's all about balance. Some rounds you want to become the tyrannical dictator of medical, loading yourself up with robolimbs and beneficial mutations while concocting hellfoams and plotting to overthrow the captain through a complicated 401 scam...and sometimes you just wanna eat floor pills and piss people off by mopping.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Galick posted:

Just had my first few rounds where I managed to stay through the whole thing! Got eaten by a ling in the first one (unsurprising) and fell to floor pills in the second. I have to admit, eating a single pill and having the entire chat explode at me in red text was kind of amazing. Now it's just a matter of actually learning how to do stuff instead of wandering around and pissing people off with the mop and bucket.

Half of being good at SS13 is wandering around and pissing people off with the mop and the bucket. The other half is being able to dodge the inevitable beating, slip away from your pursuers through maintenance, and "accidentally" shove someone out the airlock just as they were about to space your cart/bucket.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I started out by asking how to move around using WASD and got designated a traitor at shuttle call. I made sure it was crossed-out and managed to go to the shuttle with a possibly dead body. Only survived the lack of air and random explosions by getting into those beds.

The game doesn't seem to be saving my preferences in the save slots.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

Scalding Coffee posted:

Yeah you will end up as a antagonist even if you mark them off. At first this concerned me. Don't be afraid, learn to love it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

I started out by asking how to move around using WASD and got designated a traitor at shuttle call. I made sure it was crossed-out and managed to go to the shuttle with a possibly dead body. Only survived the lack of air and random explosions by getting into those beds.

You don't have to do well as a traitor. Just find some way to cause chaos and even if the attempt goes badly you've spiced up the round.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
My target was dual-wielding and he had a buddy hurling explosives to air out escape. I also forgot how to find the number to unlock my PDA.
Now to find out how to eat, open toolboxes, and find a video on air tanks.

Still doesn't remember my save settings, but I can use spaces when I talk. This is like trying Nethack the first time.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Main Paineframe posted:

and "accidentally" shove someone out the airlock just as they were about to space your cart/bucket.

One of my favorite moments in SS13 was one round I spawned in as a staff assistant, took two steps out of arrivals, and noticed the Janitor mopping. So I pushed him over, farted on him, stole his bucket, and jumped out an airlock with it. As I floated past the window, he ran over to watch, and I farted.

Total round time: 1:30

Total griff points: infinite.

:v:

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Is there some trick to getting abilities to actually work when you use them? I get vampire again, start next to a guy, use glare and he has time to run across the room and spam two messages to security before the stun actually makes him fall down.

None of the vampire help info you get mentions anything about 'may take up to half a minute to work'

Carsius
May 7, 2013

King Doom posted:

Is there some trick to getting abilities to actually work when you use them? I get vampire again, start next to a guy, use glare and he has time to run across the room and spam two messages to security before the stun actually makes him fall down.

None of the vampire help info you get mentions anything about 'may take up to half a minute to work'

Don't get unlucky with byond lag.

So no.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Space Station 13, where the shuttle gets called with the first explosion.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

King Doom posted:

Knock them out with an air canister first. That way if Byond fucks you over you just get brigged (or ignored, most of the time). If you knock them out you can then just glare and hypnotize like usual, unless you can't do that to knocked out people anymore.

Can vamps go on expeditions anywhere without dying? I've never wanted to waste a vamp round by trying.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

dogstile posted:

Knock them out with an air canister first. That way if Byond fucks you over you just get brigged (or ignored, most of the time). If you knock them out you can then just glare and hypnotize like usual, unless you can't do that to knocked out people anymore.

Can vamps go on expeditions anywhere without dying? I've never wanted to waste a vamp round by trying.

I think vampires are fine anywhere that isn't open space or on fire, but I've never actually tried taking one to a telescience destination that has (or could be assumed to have) a sun overhead. I mean, I probably wouldn't go to the Solarium as a vampire just on principle, but I wonder if the magma planet or ice moon are considered "sunlit" enough to burn them.

I really need to do more Antagonist Science. My crowning achievement is still the discovery that shambling abominations can get high enough to spontaneously fall asleep.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I just really want to gently caress with people on the ice moon. I've never even been to the other Telesci areas but I imagine it could be amazing. Imagine hearing crys for help on the ice moon and arriving, finding blood everywhere and venturing further in, only to find a horde of zombies.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think remote triggers on canister bombs might be bugged. I've tried every possible variable I can (anchored/unanchored, safety off, timer set/untouched) and it just won't detonate :sigh:. And yes I checked the signallers were paired properly. Bomb itself worked fine when I detonated it manually with the timer as well.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
I think vampires ought to be okay in most of the telescience areas. It's raining in the outdoor biodome outdoor areas. The ice moon is dark, so it's probably very far away from its system's sun, plus it's snowing. The lava moon probably has an atmosphere choked with sulfuric clouds. So, it'd be reasonable for vampires not to have to worry about sunlight in those locations. Solarium's a different story, but it wouldn't really be fair for a helpful vampire to miss out on that.

About shuttle calling, I really think it should be a general policy (not a rule, but just a strong suggestion) that when the station gets damaged, someone should fix the damage. I once had a round where the entire research wing was wiped out by an artifact bomb, and the crew actually pulled together to seal off the hull breaches and heal those who got caught at the edge. It was one of my earliest rounds, but I think it was one of the coolest. Then again, there wasn't really anyone calling for evacuation at that time, because all the research staff were dead. Anyway, I despise rounds that last less than 45 minutes, unless they're rounds that end when all antagonists are taken care of. If the solars are still providing power, there's always stuff to do. If you get bored, find the HoP and get a job change. The shuttle shouldn't be called until the main corridors are in danger of becoming uninhabitable, and there's nobody around to fix them.

I also think it should be written down somewhere that AIs should not call out antagonists unless specifically asked to.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Montegoraon posted:

I also think it should be written down somewhere that AIs should not call out antagonists unless specifically asked to.

If an AI does this just adminhelp them or go fart on their core.

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011

Montegoraon posted:

I agree with you there. The most I'll really do is make some vague statements, like "oh, that's not good" or stuff like that if something happens. Things that I saw if I notice the account budget is drained, or if I see a clown farting on a dude. That way, it kinda gets lost in the noise of the station. I saw Wave whatever-his-last-name is attacking a guy behind the janitor's office when I was AI last night, and I just kinda shrugged and went eh. Also, if someone's doing something suspicious, I'll try to PDA them first before actually saying anything. Shame I never seem to get subverted.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

I started playing ss13 last night after a few years break. Genetics seemed like a fun job to learn, so I was working on that. The captain came by after I started getting the hang of things, so I offered to give him some powers. I gave him cryokinesis for starters. He then used it on me and started acting like a tool. When he came back a little later, I threw him in the genetics module and locked it. I then made him obese. When I ejected him, I saw his id was on the floor, so I grabbed it and ran. After hanging out in the captains lounge, I went for a stroll around the rest of the station when I got knocked over by a bowling ball and shot to death. Security eventually came and dragged me back to genetics. While being dragged to the clone bay, a rather large bomb went off and took genetics with it.

I don't know why I stopped playing this game.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
If you get caught by the AI it's your own fault. Wirecutters take five seconds to manufacture and basically permanently shut off an AI's view of your criming.

And if you're seriously suggesting adminhelping because the AI ratted you out, :laffo:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
If the AI is generally being lovely or a supercop, then it's probably worth an adminhelp just so that there's some record of the event and/or the AI can get an authoritative advisement on what the reasonable bounds of such behavior is. It's rarely much fun to whip out your PDA, order a surplus crate, and then find you were at the edge of view of a camera you didn't notice and now all the doors are bolted and the AI is calling for your head without relent for the remainder of the round (and/or calling the shuttle as soon as they identify you, because of 'win condition' logic; I've seen some hilariously loopy decisions based on this idea, and I really don't understand some peoples' idea of fun).

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
Unless they actually see you harming someone I don't see how they could call you out without violating the laws by endangering you. If you are seen murdering sure whatever but maybe clip some cameras and plan ahead and prep a area first.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

There's currently 63 people on LLJK 4 and now I'm wondering: What's the maximum of non Staff Assistant jobs a round can have until every new player joining the round has to pick Staff Assistant?

What I'm trying to say is try to spread the population around for God's sake.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Kizurue posted:

Unless they actually see you harming someone I don't see how they could call you out without violating the laws by endangering you. If you are seen murdering sure whatever but maybe clip some cameras and plan ahead and prep a area first.

The owlery and observatory are both out of camera coverage too.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

There's currently 63 people on LLJK 4 and now I'm wondering: What's the maximum of non Staff Assistant jobs a round can have until every new player joining the round has to pick Staff Assistant?

Well, in theory the HoP can assign as many people and this sentence is too ridiculous for me to even complete it.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

a cartoon duck posted:

What I'm trying to say is try to spread the population around for God's sake.

I really think there should be something like a 1-2% chance at the start of each round for Centcom to goof up the staff assignments, causing every single Assistant to be replaced by the flavour-of-the-day gimmick job. Hordes of vicious Lawyers roaming the halls, occasionally degenerating into storms of litigation that usually claim at least a few lives. An army of Boxers rampaging madly across the station in a cacophony of cartoony BIFF BOOSH WHOCKO punch sound effects. An endless swarm of Clowns, honking and farting and slipping and dying hilariously. A preponderance of useless loving Tourists meandering confused into areas they're not supposed to enter, getting stuck there, taking photos of everything, and whining at the increasingly frustrated AI to let them out.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kizurue posted:

Sometimes you don't get a chance to carefully prep the area before doing your traitoring, like the time I was a changeling wandering maintenance and accidentally walked into the den of another ling, who immediately acid spat me and dragged me into his murder room. I barely won that fight, but he never clipped the cameras so the AI happened to check the area just in time to see me sucking out the other ling's juices while surrounded by the husks of his other victims. Aside from yelling my identity out to the whole station, the AI also spent the entire rest of the round stalking me (even after I ducked into an area with no cameras to change identities and outfits) and ended the round by bolting the shuttle doors when I reached Escape in order to prevent me from getting on the shuttle.

It's not the AI's job to play supercop; if someone's openly murdering in the halls and doesn't give a decent excuse I'll shout them out, but if someone's making an effort to stay out of public view then I'll respect that, even if they didn't run around using wirecutters to hang "something shady is happening here" signs all over the station.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Angry Diplomat posted:

I really think there should be something like a 1-2% chance at the start of each round for Centcom to goof up the staff assignments, causing every single Assistant to be replaced by the flavour-of-the-day gimmick job. Hordes of vicious Lawyers roaming the halls, occasionally degenerating into storms of litigation that usually claim at least a few lives. An army of Boxers rampaging madly across the station in a cacophony of cartoony BIFF BOOSH WHOCKO punch sound effects. An endless swarm of Clowns, honking and farting and slipping and dying hilariously. A preponderance of useless loving Tourists meandering confused into areas they're not supposed to enter, getting stuck there, taking photos of everything, and whining at the increasingly frustrated AI to let them out.

Central Command Update

Due to a cringingly overlooked bug in the recent ThinkWIZ update, all crew members with the rank of Staff Assistant are in fact Captain. We apologize for the error and have sent emotional ordinance to alleviate the concerns of any heads of staff still aboard.

(inside are six bottles of Bill's Train label bum wine and one Russian revolver.)

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Wait, so how is this different from normal Staff Assistants?

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!

Angry Diplomat posted:

a cacophony of cartoony BIFF BOOSH WHOCKO punch sound effects.

Central Command Update:

We accidentally made all staff assistants batman. We don't know how it happened either.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

OrangeSoda posted:

Central Command Update:

We accidentally made all staff assistants batman. We don't know how it happened either.

A tiny chance for all Staff Assistants to start with the same randomly-selected costume instead of jumpsuits would also be an extremely funny way to unexpectedly spice up an overcrowded server. Medbay gets overrun by a legion of farting goobers in Spider-Man pyjamas, or the Bar is ruled by a violent tribe of post-apocalyptic maniacs in assless chaps.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
Unfortunately the potential for goofy "grey/plaid/hawaiian tide" poo poo that annoys the rest of the crew is not incentive to join other servers for people joining a loving 40-player round.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Went through the effort to reroute morgue chutes to go in to disposals, welded the door and replace the window and grill with a reinforced wall, and hid a radio jammer in a floor closet right by the crusher. And some nerd blew up the morgue so I lost a few of my kill chutes!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Ended up being a traitor Lawyer with the objective "BURN IT ALL". After bribing the HoP with the gold bar that spawned in my backpack for boosted access, I grabbed a stack of fuel tanks, built a flamethrower, and scooted off into space. Mixed up a batch of NapalmPhlogistonCFL3ThermiteSmokeDragonsBreath and added it to the fuel tanks, grabbed some spare air tanks, and spawned a voice changer, agent ID, and a fat stack of microbombs.

Donning the Cosmonaut Spacesuit and Helmet, I came back from space to the station as THE FURY, declaring said return, and ran around igniting anyone I ran across, hotswapping canisters as needed. I eventually got bopped by a traitor HoP or MD with a boomerang in medbay, hit myself with my own flame mix, dropped my flamethrower from the Dragons Breath choking, and crawled away to detonate my microbombs as a security officer arrested me, gibbing the both of us in the process and blowing a gaping hole open.

...in the Morgue.

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 29, 2014

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I love seeing two different perspectives converge like that.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
My favorite thing about reading SS13 stories is seeing different pieces of the Rube Goldberg machine unknowingly converge to create something beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
That is pretty great, in a fantastically goofy SS13 Butterfly Effect sort of way. Though I have to say, if the arresting officer didn't see the microbombs coming, they must have missed the joke. Please tell me you got out at least one anguished cry of 'THE FURY! THE FURY!' before going down in your final minutes. :v:

• Locked thread