Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hahaha he wanted me to but I never got the chance! I asked him what he was in the mood to eat and where he was staying, and then the next we all heard from him was when poo poo really hit the fan. I wanted him to at least have a pleasant food experience while on vacation but I don't know if that's even happening.

I know, but the comic timing of it was perfect.

SALT CURES HAM's Vacation Slideshow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
i lied, i'm going to listen to part two, as well

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

Criminal Minded posted:

I am a straight up REM fanboy but what the gently caress is Michael Stipe doing on a mancrush list

THEIR MUSIC TOUCHES MY SOUL

also

he does that shoulder wiggle thing when he dances and I don't know

If I could explain it I would probably be making terrible decisions with more than just women.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
gently caress it, i'm listening to the entire record. r.kelly is beast.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Meanwhile in an alternate SALT CURES HAM universe...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFosUj6A22c

So then I pull out my phone

And then I post on my phone

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Meanwhile in an alternate SALT CURES HAM universe...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFosUj6A22c
Here's the trifecta of the SCH saga, food recommendation chat and Trapped In The Closet (also, yeah, Weird Al again):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHnTocdD7sk

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
At least no woman has ever locked me in their apartment so I can't escape.

I mean, not literally.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ojd5cNDekc

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Welcome to the club, son.

SALT CURES HAM, don't touch the ceramic penguin.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
read the fuckin comments by the prince of saiyajins

LACK OF UNDERSTANDING OF THE SOURCE MATERIAL :byodood:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I've seen the movie and this video really had nothing to do with it.

-thegamingwarhero

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
Wow, this video is so dumb. Vegeta would never call Kakarot "Goku."

edit:

I've seen the movie too, and I'm fairly certain I have a better understanding of the overall source material than any of you do. K, now I'm done

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

We don't really need a (new) live-action DBZ movie, considering that Man of Steel exists and is basically what it would look like.

(It's actually weirdly appropriate how much Man of Steel's fight scenes look like an episode of DBZ, considering that Goku's backstory is a goofy take on Superman's.)

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Vermain posted:

We don't really need a (new) live-action DBZ movie, considering that Man of Steel exists and is basically what it would look like.

(It's actually weirdly appropriate how much Man of Steel's fight scenes look like an episode of DBZ, considering that Goku's backstory is a goofy take on Superman's.)

Don't forget Matrix Revolutions. And DBZ also has the origin in a old Chinese or Japanese story about a monkey god on a cloud or something.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Re: Micheal Stipe and baldness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDHMjO7UbMo

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gatts posted:

Don't forget Matrix Revolutions. And DBZ also has the origin in a old Chinese or Japanese story about a monkey god on a cloud or something.

There's definitely an influence of Journey to the West in DBZ, but Goku's backstory is straight-up Superman: the "last of his race" crash-lands on Earth in a capsule and is raised by a kindly fellow to become a defender of the planet.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Messing around with GoPros is fun.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The SCH saga has ended because I'm a colossal loving idiot and acted clingy to her so now I'm waiting in a greyhound station overnight and got threatened with violence by her cousin's husband.

Rageaholic, impromptu goonmeet? I want to try and salvage this trip.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

SALT CURES HAM posted:

The SCH saga has ended because I'm a colossal loving idiot and acted clingy to her so now I'm waiting in a greyhound station overnight and got threatened with violence by her cousin's husband.

Not wanting to be locked in someone else's house is not clingy.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

SALT CURES HAM posted:

sounds like the party's just fuckin starting, pal

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I was upset and worried because of the sex with other dude/impromtu loving off thing and I tried to call her a shitload of times and said some really dumb angry poo poo over text. That was clingy and was my fault and etc.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I was upset and worried because of the sex with other dude/impromtu loving off thing and I tried to call her a shitload of times and said some really dumb angry poo poo over text. That was clingy and was my fault and etc.

You both sound terrible.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Oh lord.

Kramjacks posted:

Not wanting to be locked in someone else's house is not clingy.
Yeah, this.

I want to meet up and buy you a drink after your whole ordeal and hear you recount this whole trip for me in person, but I'm very likely going to have to bring my girlfriend to the hospital after she gets off of work. So we'll see.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

In the interest of talking about something - anything - else, I just finished The Terror by Dan Simmons a few days ago and it was loving great. I recall when I mentioned I was starting it, someone said it loses steam halfway through, but I was hooked all the way through. I thought it had a great sense of momentum to it. Highly recommended for anyone looking for a great (albeit a bit long) slice of unremittingly grim period piece survival horror.

I'm now about a quarter of the way through his new one The Abominable which is... not as good. Now that I'm into the meat of it it's not so bad, but it opens with a loving woefully bad framing sequence and any time the novel refers back to it I'm like "Christ, this poo poo again." But if you're into mountain climbing it's pretty dope.

If you want a better, more literary Stephen King, Dan Simmons is where it's at.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

SALT CURES HAM posted:

You were literally locked in a strange drug house for a day with no explanation, I consider myself a feminist but calling you needy and dumb for trying to figure out an escape plan is entirely deserving of a five across the eyes

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Geekboy posted:

At least no woman has ever locked me in their apartment so I can't escape.

I mean, not literally.
One time I was visiting my first girlfriend after our relationship had gone long distance and two of her friends were over. I ate some energy bars that I thought belonged to the former but belonged to the latter. My girlfriend lost her poo poo and spent an hour screaming at me. I offered to re-buy them and more but the apartment was gated and she refused to let me out to go do it.

But even then, I'm pretty sure I could've just found some way to climb over the gate, walked to the airport, and flew home. Considering she dumped me two weeks later and I found out shortly afterward that she'd been cheating on me (and she was verbally/emotionally abusive as gently caress the whole time we were together), I really should have.

So SALT CURES HAM, if you ever get out of that crackhouse, I encourage you to take a long, searching inventory of how you can avoid getting locked in a crackhouse because of an insane, cheating girlfriend. Considering that hasn't happened to me in nine years, I really think there are ways to learn from this.

EDIT: My immediate advice if you ever get out is to run for the loving airport and not leave in anything but your plane under any circumstances.

EDIT2: Didn't see this page. Well, anyway, take this whole thing as a teachable moment.

Vimeo Of The Day: A GoPro duct-taped to a car wheel going slow at first and then up to 45mph.
https://vimeo.com/101358524
I would watch the poo poo out of the next Batman movie if it used this for scene transitions.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 29, 2014

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

SALT CURES HAM posted:

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If you want a better, more literary Stephen King, Dan Simmons is where it's at.

What do you mean by a better, more literary Stephen King?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

What do you mean by a better, more literary Stephen King?

As far as "better," I mean that he's better. And that they work in similar idioms I guess, hence the comparison (Summer of Night is Dan Simmons' It, Carrion Comfort is his Salem's Lot, etc.)

As far as "more literary," I mean both that the quality of his prose is at a much higher average and also that in a lot of his works he uses the literary canon as reference points. The Terror features Thomas Hobbes' Leviathan and Edgar Allan Poe's The Masque of the Red Death as major plot/thematic elements, and his big sci-fi opus The Hyperion Cantos is named after the piece by John Keats (who goes on to appear in the second book) and is a structural riff on The Canterbury Tales.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
SCH for mod

Moviechat: one of my best friends texted me that she got the copy of Alien I sent her. She's never seen it before. I think I did good today.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The angry texting had nothing to do with her locking me in and everything to do with me being scared shitless that she was breaking up with me because I threw out a lot of my life plans to be with her and didn't really have a backup plan.

e: Smoked a blunt with a stereotypical gangsta named Mario after recounting my tale. This trip is now a little salvaged.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 29, 2014

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I still don't understand how you got locked in a house. How does that happen? Why didn't you call the cops? What is wrong with you?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

A coworker told me today that Alien 3 is his favorite Alien film.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

X-Ray Pecs posted:

SCH for mod

Moviechat: one of my best friends texted me that she got the copy of Alien I sent her. She's never seen it before. I think I did good today.
A girl who has never seen Alien and you sent her a copy so she could watch it? Man, you may have changed this girl's life! That's far more than your good deed for the day.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

CPL593H posted:

I still don't understand how you got locked in a house. How does that happen? Why didn't you call the cops? What is wrong with you?

Because I didn't realize I was locked in until fairly late on. I thought that, like any edifice designed by sane people, it was openable from the inside without the key even when locked.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

A coworker told me today that Alien 3 is his favorite Alien film.

*in Ice T voice* Good Choice.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

When I tell my wife tonight that I love her because she never locked me in a house for two days, she will think I'm just acting weird. I'm going to do it anyway, though, because this thread has taught me that you shouldn't take such a thing for granted.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Because I didn't realize I was locked in until fairly late on. I thought that, like any edifice designed by sane people, it was openable from the inside without the key even when locked.

You're so lucky that you're not being human trafficked right now.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

I almost like Alien 3 more than Aliens but its missing something, although I'm not sure what that thing is.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

SALT CURES HAM posted:

The angry texting had nothing to do with her locking me in and everything to do with me being scared shitless that she was breaking up with me because I threw out a lot of my life plans to be with her and didn't really have a backup plan.
You are way the gently caress too much like I was at your age.

Let me give you some advice that it takes some people way too long to learn: being single is better than a lifetime of misery with someone whom you can't admit to yourself you hate. I was with the girlfriend I mentioned earlier when I was your age, and when we broke up it hurt like a motherfucker. Now I just look back and feel like I dodged the biggest bullet of my life. Dump her rear end. Like, immediately, before she locks you up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dickeye and CPL?

Who would be the lady?

Vermain posted:

It's literally Journey to the West and then suddenly he finds out he's Superman when it makes the jump to full fledged battle manga.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 29, 2014

• Locked thread