Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

GWBBQ posted:

I enjoy pointing out to my teammates that story-wise, we (Resistance) are far from the "good guys" as is typical of sci-fi resistance movements. I casually follow the story/could pick Susanna Moyer and Roland Jarvis out of a crowd, but the game is fun for me because we have a great local and regional community of people I like playing with and hanging out with.

Aside from the anomaly yesterday, I went on a day trip the previous weekend with my brother and two other players for something non-ingress-related and after we were done we spent a couple of hours wandering and driving around Brooklyn and playing Ingress (it's accepted in our community that it's OK for a passenger to play on the driver's phone in addition to their own so the driver can pay attention to the road.) One of the other people got the unique portal captures she needed for level 13 on that trip.

Yeah. Neither side is really that good. Neither are the NPC's. Everyone's an rear end in a top hat. I find it amusing when people join the resistance thinking they're freedom fighters, and not a heavily government backed force that's trying to regulate XM.

Coldbird posted:

That reminds me, some of the Enlightened newbie guides I saw handed out recently as part of the welcome wagon for new local iOS players mentioned something along the lines of "Enlightened want to use XM to guide the human race, Resistance want to use it to pursue to the melding of man and machine" - which I didn't remember from anywhere ever, but I pay zero attention to any of the plot and instantly recycle all the media things that I hack. Is there anything to that? I kind of like the idea of fighting a million cyborgs.

Nah, ADA straight up just wants to become a god or some singularity BS. On the other hand, the ENL want to force human evolution via the will of some aliens or something. In short, everyone is assholes. You'll find people on both sides that protest that ADA/Jarvis aren't the true leaders, then the sides come down to XM Libertarians vs. XM Regulators.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jul 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Blue is a nicer colour, that's all that matters.

I downloaded this game a few days ago when my friend told me about it, I've been having a lot of fun with it so far. Though to be honest the greatest appeal of it is the exploration aspect, I've already already found some interesting things in my town that I didn't even know existed until now.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Sad thing is I like wearing green, and every time I do I get flak from the ENL about stealing their colors. gently caress you I'm not buying a new wardrobe just over a loving videogame.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Sad thing is I like wearing green, and every time I do I get flak from the ENL about stealing their colors. gently caress you I'm not buying a new wardrobe just over a loving videogame.

I'm in the same boat, I'm an Enlightened that wears blue. Yes, I realize my alien brainworm overlords hate that color, but I like it.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Qu Appelle posted:

Anyone else get an inordinate amount of L7s when hacking and farming? It's to the point where I put those down as the single portal capture reso, instead of an L1. The L1s, OTOH, I guard like gold.

This game is weird.

I'll try to explain it in a somewhat mathy way
A portal's effective hack level is whichever is lower - your level, or the portal's level
Ex: An L8 hacking an L7 portal hacks it as L7; An L6 hacking a L8 portal hacks it as an L6

When you hack a portal, the majority of the items you get from it, are going to be of the effective level of the portal. The next most will be items 1 level above it, and 1 level below it (I'm not sure on the numbers of these, but I think it's about 25% of the time). There is also a much smaller chance that it will drop items that are 2 levels higher (something like 5%).
This is only for bursters, ultrastrikes, and resonators.
Cubes will always be of the level of the portal (I think this also may be effective level, but I don't know since I was 8 before cubes started dropping)

What this means, is if you're hacking 5s, 6s, and 7s - you're gonna wind up with a TON of level 7 gear - just because all 3 of those portals will drop L7 gear. You can only place 1 R7 on a portal, so your rate in is typically higher than your rate out, especially compared to R6s and R5s, which you can put 2 on each portal.

People sometimes refer to R7s as "Cockroaches" - though if you're farming P8s day and night you'll feel the same way about R8s. Just recycle them when you start getting a number that hinders your inventory.

edit: oh and it looks like the shard game is back ("Artifacts")

Deceptive Thinker fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jul 28, 2014

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

At least now thanks to bulk recycle, when I go and burn out a row of 50 7's, I can easily recycle the 200 L7 resonators I end up with.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Had a successful weekend of farming with local resistance players. We built a farm out of a dozen portals clustered close enough to all be in scanner range. We then filled all the mod slots with rare multihacks and heatsinks. The end result was a dozen level 8 portals you can hack 16 times once every 2 minutes.

End Result:
Resonators:
300 x L8
200 x L7
150 x L6
100 x L5

XMP:
350 x L8
500 x L7

Power Cubes:

60 x L8
75 x L7

Note: I recycled 200+ L7 Resonators and 400+ L6 XMP to make space to keep hacking.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Loucks posted:

Hacking results are based on both your level and the level of the portal. If you're a L8 hacking mostly level 5/6 portals you're likely to come away with a fair number of L7 resonators. I would imagine that someone has put a huge amount of time and effort into figuring out exactly how this works, but I couldn't say for certain.

No reason to treat any resonator under 4 as valuable since you can max out a portal without anything lower. 1-3 resonators are just bait to get other players to burn off weapons.

To fully deploy on a fresh portal as a single level 8 player you need at least two resonators level 4 or below. I have so little level 1-4 resonators on me at any given moment that I treat everything in that range as effectively the same. I'm always hurting for them.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Thanks for the math exploration, that makes more sense.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

grilldos posted:

To fully deploy on a fresh portal as a single level 8 player you need at least two resonators level 4 or below. I have so little level 1-4 resonators on me at any given moment that I treat everything in that range as effectively the same. I'm always hurting for them.

Yes, I understand how to deploy resonators as a level 8 player.

I don't drive around all night playing, so I just keep the level 4s for filling portals I care a little about and dump the 1-3s wherever. There's a graveyard up the road with fifty portals that change hands regularly and I tend to put my low level resonators there for newbies to kill.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Kinda over this. Went out of town for a long weekend expecting my poo poo to all expire, but some green player from elsewhere came in and built up a bunch of giant untouchable portals and is keeping them charged remotely. You should have to actually go to a portal to keep it alive, and high-level portals need rebalancing so they're not just immortal monoliths to newer players.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Javid posted:

Kinda over this. Went out of town for a long weekend expecting my poo poo to all expire, but some green player from elsewhere came in and built up a bunch of giant untouchable portals and is keeping them charged remotely. You should have to actually go to a portal to keep it alive, and high-level portals need rebalancing so they're not just immortal monoliths to newer players.

On the flipside, portals are nearly impossible to defend against higher level players as far as I can tell.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Loucks posted:

Yes, I understand how to deploy resonators as a level 8 player.

I don't drive around all night playing, so I just keep the level 4s for filling portals I care a little about and dump the 1-3s wherever. There's a graveyard up the road with fifty portals that change hands regularly and I tend to put my low level resonators there for newbies to kill.

I wasn't saying you didn't, just pointing out for any new players that depending on the average regular level of the portals in your area, it may actually be harder to get <L4 gear, in which case you actually SHOULD treat low level resonators as valuable.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Javid posted:

This is completely the opposite complaint that people are constantly making on G+ recently with the "portal virus" and why most of those people are really just saying "I'm winning and want to keep winning easier"

I really hope that the portal virus stays active or they don't bring the decay rate back to 15% (and put it to 25 or 20% instead) but this is just wishful thinking

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I hope they don't soften higher level portals beyond just the general decay rate changes. It kind of sucks that it takes 8 L8 players on one side to stand up an L8 portal but one L8 player on the other side can still tear it down even if it's fully charged up. If it one side had to team up to put it there, then the other side should have to at least try to get a few people together to take it down.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

kitten smoothie posted:

I hope they don't soften higher level portals beyond just the general decay rate changes. It kind of sucks that it takes 8 L8 players on one side to stand up an L8 portal but one L8 player on the other side can still tear it down even if it's fully charged up. If it one side had to team up to put it there, then the other side should have to at least try to get a few people together to take it down.

I don't like that idea since if you have an organized side in an area, they could dominate an area unless the other side starting making appointments with each other to visit a portal at the same time.

It's rare for the blue side in our area to get a portal like that and they had to do it with some out of towners. I hacked it and it gave me a Jarvis, so I used it. They took it back, I didn't have another Jarvis, so I tore that thing down. That severely pissed them off and players that used to be cool with me on the other side were talking poo poo over comm.

If you have a L8 portal you really want to defend, you can just start remote recharging it when you get an alert that it's under attack.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Javid posted:

Just keep at it. What people don't seem to understand is that each level below 8 is a training thing. The real game only begins at 8, and everything up until then is just showing you mechanics and how to work within the game's systems and constraints.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
I hit 8 tonight woo

Javid posted:

It's pretty unlikely he can keep more than a few charged that way unless he's a) playing maniacally or b) burning cubes. Option A may be sustainable, option B isn't. The best way to spam recharge your stuff is during your commute, playing the stoplight recharge game, but even with my hour-long Atlanta drive through some pretty portal-happy areas I still only can charge up 3 to 5 higher-level portals that way with the new decay virus. If it's clear you aren't doing damage, stop attacking his favorite portals and letting him know you're still banging your head against a wall and come back when you have some levels. He may get lazy later too.

There is an upside to your situation - living under a farm (hostile or not) means you're unlikely to be hurting for gear. His built-up stuff is always going to give you the best gear you can hack at your level, which means better gear than you would be able to get if you were farming from portals you claimed solo. When you're around home, you can still glyph hack everything and it won't trip any alarms or tell him you're there (not that he could do poo poo if he knew). Do your leveling elsewhere, and once you start hacking his swank high-end portals consistently, even as low as level 4 you may be able to threaten him in a weak spot or two.

Usually in these cases, it's a good opportunity to look on the mapping app on the Ingress site (here) a few miles out from where you live or work - look for collections of low-end or unclaimed portals and head there on a weekend or something. Places like out of the way parks or (I don't do this but some do) graveyards. Historic districts and downtown-type areas tend to be too heavily contested and built up for a newbie to just barge in unless you happen to catch it at an opportune time (or just piggyback off a higher-level friendly trashing the place), but out of the way places like nature trails and stuff are often too low-traffic for players to count on other players to come bump their stuff... at least here in Atlanta, they more often than not just sit there either empty or poorly defended.

One scouting trip through the place to get the lay of it and to hack keys for everything, then start going through and exploding/claiming, then linking things up. If you don't have keys, the low-budget AP farming method is to just drop a single low-level reso on each unclaimed portal and let it decay or get exploded. If he retaliates by coming through and claiming the poo poo out of that place, then you just forced him to spread his recharge juice across two locations, leave it for a week and try another place.

I wrote a lot of words and I think you're actually blue, but you have an Achewood avatar so it's okay

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Exit Strategy posted:

Just keep at it. What people don't seem to understand is that each level below 8 is a training thing. The real game only begins at 8, and everything up until then is just showing you mechanics and how to work within the game's systems and constraints.

Yeah, gently caress that, I want to play the actual game, not grind and fight for the scraps left by droid players who've got a year into this. If 1-7 are training then they should take way less time.

Coldbird posted:

I wrote a lot of words and I think you're actually blue, but you have an Achewood avatar so it's okay

This was a helpful effortpost, thanks. I didn't know about the portal level mattering for loot, for one.

Javid fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 29, 2014

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Javid posted:

Yeah, gently caress that, I want to play the actual game, not grind and fight for the scraps left by droid players who've got a year into this. If 1-7 are training then they should take way less time.

It took me just over 3 weeks to hit 8. I've averaged over a million a month since I started. Solo players should focus on making tons of small fields in a congested area. Otherwise, just tag along with a high level player in a few decent graveyards.

It's not hard at all to amass AP once you get rolling and learn the tricks.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

There's a blue iphone player in my area that hit 8 yesterday and a green one that hit 8 today - AP is crazy easy nowadays with the amount of portals that get added daily

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Large clusters of portals in the area help, too. My area has an Air Force museum which has like 50 portals in very close proximity, making it the destination for power leveling/flash farming for both sides.

Anything like that, or parks with lots of art/monuments hanging around help you level fast.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

There are exactly 16 portals in my entire city, with seven more that are just far enough to suck to bike to. Grinding to that degree is out.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The secret to leveling is tiny fields. The secret to fields is key management. You need 1 key per link to each portal. You will only get a key for a portal if you do not already have one. It is important to drop the key for a portal before hacking it to get 2 or 3 extra keys. This will allow you to link back to that portal and create a field.

This works best in a park or graveyard with a bunch of close portals. You get the most AP in a single action for creating a field. You get the same amount of AP no matter how big or small the field is.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I recharged my last 8500 AP to hit 8 tonight. My girlfriend wasn't feeling well so we cut the outing short and I worked my way to 8 and home recharger badge from my couch.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
My advice is to not rush it. Don't play this game to get to the real lvl 8 game play, or measure yourself against anything else. The impotent thing about ingress is to have fun and get moving. Just do whatever is fun.

I mean, game play at lvl 1 is hacking portals, walking around and getting keys and occasional shooting off XMP's. The only thing that changes is at 8 your numbers are higher and you have more you can take down if you've got the gear, but the game itself isn't going to become really that different. If there's only 16 portals then you might try submitting portals.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'd love to. They haven't put that function in the IOS app yet and they won't take submissions any way other than the app. There are a bunch of portals here on temporary art installations that are long gone, and other stuff that would be worth adding, but they aren't interested unless you have a device from Google.

DrPlump posted:

You get the most AP in a single action for creating a field. You get the same amount of AP no matter how big or small the field is.

Tidbits like this are what I need, thanks. I was going for maximum area which is nominally helpful to the side, but the side hasn't been particularly helpful back so it's time for a billion 50 foot triangles everywhere!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Javid posted:

There are exactly 16 portals in my entire city, with seven more that are just far enough to suck to bike to. Grinding to that degree is out.

If there's almost no portals where you live, and you don't commute to a better area, you're probably better off quitting now before you get addicted to the treadmill. Even those of us using God's Chosen Phone OS have to wait at least 3 months to get portals approved. It's a really long wait, and you sound really angry with the game already.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

DrPlump posted:

You will only get a key for a portal if you do not already have one. It is important to drop the key for a portal before hacking it to get 2 or 3 extra keys. This will allow you to link back to that portal and create a field.

Protip: put them in a capsule - it acts like its not in your inventory

ilovepy
Oct 10, 2007
mmm... py

Javid posted:

Hmm yeah I see your issue. It took me 1 week to do 1-7, another week to do level 8, two weeks to do level 9, etc. But I work in San Francisco and can hit hundreds of portals on my lunch break.

I wonder if they should account for these differences better.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Protip: put them in a capsule - it acts like its not in your inventory

Capsules are cool, but I miss the ability to snatched dropped keys to piss off other players.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Had an intense battle last night vs a local enlightened player. The resistance controls most of my area and has several standing level 8 farms. This enlightened player is one of the few in the area who can challenge us because he has several level 8 portals at his work that cannot be accessed after hours. He is able to farm these portals like crazy and has nearly unlimited access to level 8 items.

I was out with my wife taking out a couple of his portals in our area when he pulls into the parking lot we just finished upgrading as we are pulling out. He knocked down that portal and recaptured it before following us to the next portal. We got their first and captured it right as he started attacking. As he knocked down resonators we would add more to prevent him from taking it over and to burn down his XMP supply.

Eventually after an intense 20 minute battle in a random church parking lot he gave up and drove off. My wife and I both burned around 400 items each holding off his attack who knows how many XMP he used.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

DrPlump posted:

Eventually after an intense 20 minute battle in a random church parking lot he gave up and drove off. My wife and I both burned around 400 items each holding off his attack who knows how many XMP he used.

Excellent cooperative effort. You guys got further towards your Builder medals, he got further down the Purifier track. I regularly do this with an RA9 who lives across the street from my office. One of us builds, the other breaks.

Exit Strategy fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 29, 2014

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Javid posted:

FYI, he's going to waste more power cubes recharging himself through defending his crap than you will by attacking it. It's entirely possible to have him use up all his cubes dealing with you and then he's screwed.

Here's a tip if you're trying to defend a portal, you'll use less energy by replacing a destroyed resonator with a new one than trying to recharge existing ones. So if you have a bunch of low level resonators, you can just sit there deploying them over and over, while they're using up their bursters.

I had a portal nearby work that was always defended by a player. I could take one or two resonators off before they got alerted and started to remote recharge. I'd always stop after that since it seemed like a losing battle and I'd just waste the rest of my gear. Especially since they'd come out and fix it within a few hours. I'd do this day after day, so it got to be a pattern. Attacked around the same time, and then would quit after recharging started.

Tried a new strategy and it ended up working. I attacked until it started getting recharged. I waited 5-10 minutes to pass and started attacking it again, only this time they weren't defending it. I think after my previous attack they were getting ready to come over, or were driving over, so they weren't paying attention. Either way, I ended up taking it down. They showed up to take it back. I did the strategy of deploying low level resonators until they gave up.

The bad side of this was that the little undisturbed kingdom I had near my home got demolished and since then, it's never been left alone.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

How do you get immediate notifications when somebody attacks your portal? All I get are emails that show up whenever my device pulls them, but people seem to come on the second I attack and start pumping energy back into the thing.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Javid posted:

How do you get immediate notifications when somebody attacks your portal? All I get are emails that show up whenever my device pulls them, but people seem to come on the second I attack and start pumping energy back into the thing.

Ops, device, notifications. Near the same place you set email notifications.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Another hilarious gently caress-you to iOS players?

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Javid posted:

Another hilarious gently caress-you to iOS players?

:(

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Saying the game only starts at 8 is as accurate as WoW players saying that game only starts at level cap. Meaning, not so much.

If what you're doing 1-7 isn't fun, after that isn't going to become magically fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I don't think that notifications issue is a "gently caress you iOS" thing, I think it's because Apple simply doesn't give users and app makers the same level of freedom to change the look and feel of things. That's why iOS players can't redeem in-game codes for special badges; no over screwing over iPhone users, Apple simply doesn't allow this kind of stuff to happen without their permission.

• Locked thread