Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011
Dr. Jekyll + Alcohol = Mr. Hyde? Who knew?

Phillip didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Binary Logic posted:

Hate to say it but Gordon Ramsay is not going to cure the owner's lifetime of alcoholism in a few days and makeover of some hotel rooms.

Um this is tv of course he will! Just listen to the music swell!

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Binary Logic posted:

Hate to say it but Gordon Ramsay is not going to cure the owner's lifetime of alcoholism in a few days and makeover of some hotel rooms.

Not even close. Phil gives zero fucks. I know Ramsay has a brother that was a drug addict, but alcoholism is far, far harder to kick.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Gordon got that meth-addicted kid on Kitchen Nightmares to get help so surely he can do it for Philip.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Holy poo poo that Ninja Turtle macaroni commercial. Stocking shelves at a grocery store is too good a job for Vanilla Ice.

surf rock posted:

If a bathtub has sloped ends, it's actually not a terrible way to sleep for a night if you can't sleep without your head elevated, especially if you prefer firm mattresses.

While we're all curious about that, I think you're looking for the Xbone One "The Third Xbox" Bone Zone thread.

In case you don't know what he's talking about, Microsoft named their Windows Phone Siri-knockoff "Cortana."

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Wow, all that overnight, huh? Ramsay's like an angry, foul-mouthed Mary Poppins!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The renovation didn't include bulldozing the lovely motel next door? What a joke!

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011
Wait, the room with the jizz-filled mattress was the best room in the hotel?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

They replaced the jizz stained mattresses with hidden cameras!

Spell
Nov 20, 2000

Eat your vegetables or you'll DIE!
No more mention of the staff's wage problem?

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011
The cook's sober? Nice. Sponsoring your boss? Not so nice.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Everything's all better now! None of this has any chance of falling apart as soon as Gordon leaves!

e: Wow, Philip actually went to treatment!

But sweeeeet, next week we get to see a stoner hippie hotel :getin:

liltimshady
Sep 6, 2011
Next week: Stoner hippies own a hotel. Let that sink in for a moment.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Next week::2bong:

Vicodiva
Sep 27, 2012
Apparently this http://tdn.com/news/local/monticello-hotel-closes-its-restaurant-lounge/article_fde02538-7339-11e3-ae70-001a4bcf887a.html Feel rotten for the chef

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

This episode is from my home town, I'm really excited to watch it. Longview is always in the news for being the worst town in Washington.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Christine used to be a man right?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Philip returns from rehab: "You're not going to let me drink in my own bar?! Then no one can, it's closed and by the way, you're fired".

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

That is really loving sad. Sorta puts a big downer bow on that haphazardly edited ep.

Was anyone else perturbed by how few rooms they were able to make available post-reno? That place was enormous and they somehow ended up with only 12 rooms? I mean sure it's a 200% increase but still :psyduck:

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

That is really loving sad. Sorta puts a big downer bow on that haphazardly edited ep.

Was anyone else perturbed by how few rooms they were able to make available post-reno? That place was enormous and they somehow ended up with only 12 rooms? I mean sure it's a 200% increase but still :psyduck:

From the comments in that news article it sounds like they rent out rooms in the building to businesses and I guess there are apartments? Just going off this comment

quote:

Mad cow - January 01, 2014 6:24 pm
This is sad that place could b a gold mine with new management/owners and I little remodel. Not sure if it's still there or not but get the flashlight patrol out of there and don't have your only suites on the same floor as bussineses that's just dumb! And maby down size or do away with people living there and get some intreging bussiness in there on a floor or 2 pick up that tourist $$. I'd like to see Mcminamins buy it and turn it into a real hotel tourist destination

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

quote:

The hotel itself is closed until Friday, according to holiday closure notice posted on the front door.

Wait, the entire hotel was closed, during the holidays (the article is dated January 1st)?

Also:
Monticello employees stunned by abrupt closure of restaurant, lounge

quote:

There had been rumors of trouble because the food and drink orders hadn’t been renewed that week, but Bolar, 24, said she still couldn’t believe the restaurant and lounge were closing and she was out of a job.

“I didn’t think it was going to be right at the end of my shift, with no warning,” she said. “I didn’t think it would be that cold-hearted to just lead us on until the very last minute.”

In fact, she said owner Philip Lovingfoss and manager Ginger Allred were in the bar celebrating New Year's Eve with customers just moments before telling her the news.

:toot: SHUT IT DOWN!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The owner will probably end up dead trying to rob a liquor store sometime in the near future. He seems like a lost cause.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Leslie was pretty much the coolest guy in the world on this episode.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
GBS Gordon worship thread, not wrong

Ghostpilot posted:

Not even close. Phil gives zero fucks. I know Ramsay has a brother that was a drug addict, but alcoholism is far, far harder to kick.
His brother is still a homeless heroin addict. Not sure heroin is easier to quit than booze.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

What is this dude's deal with solely dating women 30 years older than him :psyduck:

I'm not sure if you're technically "dating" your beard.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I first thought of that, but if his mom worked at this hotel and he spent a lot of time there he might just have huge mommy issues and is also dating all the once-hot female staff there because he is an emotional child.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

InfiniteZero posted:

I'm not sure if you're technically "dating" your beard.

I'm glad someone else thought this too, but the mommy issues people posited made me question my theory. Here's my very presumptuous take: dude is gay and unable to express it for whatever reason. Figures if he's closeted and stuck, might as well be rich and dates the old lady. He can't leave the facade behind and be honest and so the drinking starts. He's only dating the GM because she's a drinking buddy and enabler (did anybody else notice her wearing sunglasses in the kitchen?). The money doesn't make him happy and he sucks at business and wants to be himself and so the drinking is now out of control.

I mean, those earrings. Come on.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I don't know any gay man who has such an awful sense of style though.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

1st AD posted:

I don't know any gay man who has such an awful sense of style though.

That's a goofy stereotype.

I mostly agree with Enderzero's assessment and by the end of the show I actually felt bad for the guy because of it (I believe that the money was actually his though -- thus why his wife has something to gain from the relationship in a more direct way).

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

InfiniteZero posted:

That's a goofy stereotype.

I mostly agree with Enderzero's assessment and by the end of the show I actually felt bad for the guy because of it (I believe that the money was actually his though -- thus why his wife has something to gain from the relationship in a more direct way).

I thought he married the owner who was 40 years older and inherited the money when she died?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
When he was a kid, his mom was a cocktail waitress there. I definitely think this is when he developed his weird fixation.

When he was in his 30s and the owner was in her 60s, they married. She died, he got all her money and the hotel.

Now he's dating the hotel's general manager, who's also 30 years older than him.

The most interesting/telling/crazy thing to me is that it's not like he found a girlfriend somewhere else and installed her as the GM. He started dating this one, who had been at the hotel since the early '70s. So she was super aware of all this poo poo, she probably knew him as a kid, she definitely had a front-row seat when he got involved with the owner, and she still got in on that. That's what I really want to know about. "Oh honey, you're my second choice among all the women 30 years older than me who work at this hotel."

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

quote:

There had been rumors of trouble because the food and drink orders hadn’t been renewed that week, but Bolar, 24, said she still couldn’t believe the restaurant and lounge were closing and she was out of a job.

“I didn’t think it was going to be right at the end of my shift, with no warning,” she said. “I didn’t think it would be that cold-hearted to just lead us on until the very last minute.”

In fact, she said owner Philip Lovingfoss and manager Ginger Allred were in the bar celebrating New Year's Eve with customers just moments before telling her the news.

What a loving irredeemable oval office. Can't blame that on the hitting the bottle, that's such a loving skeevy move.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I'm watching the Bridge on FX, and Masterchef is playing in the background in one of the scenes.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

Ugh, I can't forget about that episode of Hotel Hell soon enough. Rather have missed it than the premiere.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

liltimshady posted:

I actually thought it was a real song when I first heard it.

It is a real song though.

Overweight Shark
Mar 18, 2009
In fairness this is a lot of speculation about a guy who we saw for 42 minutes on tv.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
This douchenozzle put at least a dozen people out of jobs without warning on New Year's Day, and they didn't even put that into the show. If anything, he should have known that he was getting enough bad publicity out of HH that something like that just wouldn't be acceptable.

I don't care about any redeeming qualities he might have that didn't make it onto television. You cannot excuse that poo poo.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
No doubt he's a major rear end in a top hat. He's also still a millionaire with a yacht and fleet of fancy cars, so he probably doesn't really give a poo poo what the average viewer thinks of him. Not surprising given how little he thinks of the people who've worked for him for years.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Is Gordon contractually obligated to show skin? A lot of these Hotel Hell episodes feature his rear end quite prominently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

rudecyrus posted:

Is Gordon contractually obligated to show skin? A lot of these Hotel Hell episodes feature his rear end quite prominently.

In old Kitchen Nightmares episodes there was always one scene where he took his shirt off to put on his chef's whites. It happened in every single episode.

I think he's just a bit of an exhibitionist.