Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Everblight posted:

Are there a significant number of lands with a CMC of 4 nowadays? I don't play Type II.

I bet you can make one if you combine the correct stupid cards. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being

vOv posted:

Some things: the last ability can just be "Whenever enchanted creature dies, put a +1/+0 counter on it." And I don't think they do counters that aren't +1/+1 or -1/-1 because of confusion issues. Would this be unbalanced if they were +1/+1?

I had embarrassingly forgot if 'dies' was official terminology or not. Also, +1/+0 counters do exist, though they're rather outmoded. I actually started off with +1/+1 counters in mind, but I wasn't certain if that would that would create issues with the creature dying, since, well, now it suddenly had one more toughness than it did before. Anyway, here's the edit, as well as an additional card, and of course more images.

, by Andrew 'Andreworks'

, by Branko Bistrovic

, by Michael Matsumoto

Also, I'm quite tickled by the idea of Scribal Familiar as well, Sleep of Bronze.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

So this is like 8 different levels of busted right? It isn't just me?

Maybe make it "colored mana" so it doesn't combo with itself/ the tokens? As is, these tokens chump block everything without trample forever and dodge wraths as well as any removal. Maybe make them need to tap so they don't dodge both wrath effects?

Turn 1, this and tap for a 1/1.
turn 2, the opponent tries to kill it. sac in response, the token comes back at the next step (combat, main phase 2, end step etc.)

I would keep this as a 1 land hand. No other spells or anything, just this card. the other 59 cards in my deck could be forests, and I would still feel like I had a chance.

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 29, 2014

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

That sounds like an excellent idea. Honestly, I don't know why I didn't include some sort of check to prevent that sort of growth, aside from sheer lack of thought. Here is the edit, incorporating both measures. I really need to think more, when I'm considering these sorts of mana-tokens. I ponder them without really trying to grasp their consequences far too often.

, shot by Noel Casaje

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Less dramatically, a good thing to look at here is Eldrazi Spawn, which do something similar with being 0/1 tokens that can be used for mana. The closest thing to a repeatable source of Eldrazi Spawn is Awakening Zone. It requires a three mana investment to get one free per turn for the rest of the game, so even if the constructs were 0/1s, they're still too well priced to be fair. And since it's a land, it'll typically need to be less efficient than a spell counter part.

Why not make the second clause simpler with making it a repeatable three or four mana cost ability that pops out a 1/1 that you can sacrifice for mana?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

How is triggering on mana emptying that much different from just paying mana to make tokens?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Sleepy Owl posted:

How is triggering on mana emptying that much different from just paying mana to make tokens?

If someone plays Time stop, you still get the tokens. It also cannot be Stifled since it is a triggered ability and not an activated ability. You generally just can't respond to this is another issue, unless you are destroying the land at instant speed, and I am not too certain on orders, so the tokens may still be put on the stack to be played...?

EDIT: vv Oh, cool!

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 29, 2014

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Gensuki posted:

If someone plays Time stop, you still get the tokens. It also cannot be Stifled since it is a triggered ability and not an activated ability.

Stifle does Triggered Abilities too.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Well, it's complicated since I wanted to maintain the flavor that the land takes in unused mana and turns into something else, hence Uncreated. Going to possibly unreasonable lengths to get a better flavor is a fault, I admit. Here is both that suggestion, and a modification that of course maintains the flavor for even further complexity.

, by Julie Dillon
, by Craig Mullins.

Also, my apologies if my frequent iteration is a bother. I can cut down on the number of edits of a single card I post, if it's a problem.

Those, also seem like entirely valid issues, and I admit I leaning towards the simple version, despite my inclinations against it.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Localizing the card to one post/image would be good since it would make it easier to find the "winning version."
I realized what the original card reminds me of. Besides Assemble the Legion, this is a less limited version of Endless Swarm, an 8 mana spell that is the last spell you get to cast in the game, and in return you get a bunch of tokens forever.

If you are paying the three mana for them, I don't think they themselves then need to be required to tap. The biggest issue was the speed that it got out of control, and the resilience is moot if you have to pay more for them than they cost (They're not "free").

Also, it would be 3, T: instead of T, 3:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Sleep of Bronze posted:

I bet you can make one if you combine the correct stupid cards. :v:

Any creature with a CMC >= 4, Conspiracy naming Saproling, Life and Limb.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Slow day at work...

A Welkin Tern for an artifact-themed set. (Sorry if this has been done already -- I didn't play in Mirrodin).

The characters in the art seem like the caretakers for the machine, and I wanted to bring that alive with the card rules. I started with the Artificers being 1/1, but decided that putting down 8 power for 6 mana at is pretty powerful, not to mention this being an uncommon card. It's still pretty powerful to put down 3 chump blockers if need be, and it's pretty vulnerable to things like Drown in Sorrow or Bile Blight.

And, the hardest one to design:

I look at it now, and it looks clean, but I went through a lot of iterations on this card, taking it past Baneslayer Angel levels, and realizing it was way too powerful. I think this is a simple, and more elegant way to represent all three colors and keep the power level at rare. It's a powerful creature on the field, and an abuseable edict effect if you have graveyard recursion like Deny Death in white or a multitude of spells in black.
I'm happiest with this one.

Here's some more art:

illus: Kekai Kotaki

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Gensuki posted:

Also, it would be 3, T: instead of T, 3:

Ability Order of Operations:
code:
<mana cost>, <tap>, <additional costs (sacrifice other thing(s), pay life, discard)>, <sacrifice this>

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Just spray it over with chrome and bam, you're in Mirrodin.

By FMU on Pixiv.

edit:

Something a bit more creative.

By Aiba Ryosuke, again, Pixiv.

Also, Bronze Sleep, where did you get the Beleren font? All the pacts I found don't seem to have it.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 29, 2014

thespiffyneostar
Nov 23, 2013
All right, I've got 2 that really spoke to me.
Firstly, mostly for fun:

And now, for a more serious, yet bland card:

I considered costing the demon at 6, but I didn't feel that would be aggressive enough for decks to want to run him, but maybe 5 is a bit too low. thoughts?

Also, art contributions:

Source: Alexiuss on Deviant Art (http://alexiuss.deviantart.com/art/OH-GOD-WHERE-IS-MY-GUN-471348166)

Source: Grosnez on Deviant Art (http://grosnez.deviantart.com/art/Dwarves-final-version-471304432)

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Changes made. This will be the up-to-date cards post for me, for this particular contest. Also, thank you for the reference, Cernunnos. I'll be saving that for future reference.

, by Ksiaze Krzysztof.

Aabcehmu fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 1, 2014

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Wraps some powerful effects, but with the side effect of being a huge target.

Art tax:

by Guz Boroda

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I don't think this works, since I don't think card changes carry over when it changes zones. As soon as it leaves exile, it enters as a new object.

Now my stuff because this is fun

If you need to attack with this kind of ability, you're probably doing something wrong.

And a pair from the band Immortal to pay the art tax

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

vOv posted:

Any creature with a CMC >= 4, Conspiracy naming Saproling, Life and Limb.
Knew it! Very kind of you to look it up for me. Everblight's probably right in that I should just cut nonland anyway though; it was a remnant from earlier iterations, there's no practical need for it, and anyone buggering around with Life and Limb deserves to be rewarded.

Cernunnos posted:

Ability Order of Operations:
code:
<mana cost>, <tap>, <additional costs (sacrifice other thing(s), pay life, discard)>, <sacrifice this>
Ooh, nice, stealing for my templating notes. Thank you.

Ramos posted:

Also, Bronze Sleep, where did you get the Beleren font? All the pacts I found don't seem to have it.
It's in the usual Sourceforge. Look for the Fonts - Magic Templates package, then install the Beleren fonts from the M15 folder in that. MSE will pick up on the fact your computer has access to it automatically and use it.

(Just call me Sleep or SoB. I knew what I was getting into with this username. :v: )

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

This card is a bit wonky due to rule interactions with the exile zone. First off, you don't really give creatures permanent pumps without giving them counters. On the other side, using suspend is definitely the way to do.

Perhaps it should be:

quote:

Long Journey (no casting cost)

Sorcery

When you suspend Long Journey, exile target creature.

Whenever you remove a time counter from Long Journey, put a +1/+1 counter on all creatures exiled by it.

Return all creatures exiled by Long Journey to the battlefield. Counters remain on the creatures as they move from exile to the battlefield.

Suspend XWW

Anyone got any better suggestions for what to do with this?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Some combination of Jhoira and Aeon Chronicler:

quote:

Exile target creature with X time counters on it. It has "Whenever a time counter is removed from this creature while it's exiled, put a +1/+1 counter on it". If it doesn't have suspend, it gains suspend.

Though, that means if you cast Long Journey twice on a creature it might gain two +1/+1 counters every time you remove a time counter. Hm.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

That still runs into the changing zones rules.

Ramos' phrasing is, by necessity, wordy and pretty unintuitive and the sort of thing I might expect to come out of a Future Sight set, but it does seem to make the card work.

If we synthesise the two?

Actually, that gets really wonky. When you give exile something and give it suspend, it also has to be cast to return to the battlefield, so retaining counters gets crazy stupid in terms of wording.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 29, 2014

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Sleep of Bronze posted:

That still runs into the changing zones rules. Ramos' phrasing is, by necessity, wordy and pretty unintuitive and the sort of thing I might expect to come out of a Future Sight set, but it does seem to make the card work.

Ah gently caress, yeah, you're right.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Still brainstorming: maybe it's better to make it an enchantment (still w/ time counters and put +1/+1s and creatures getting to hold onto counters as they return from exile) instead of a Suspend spell?

quote:

~
XWW
Enchantment

When ~ enters the battlefield, put X time counters on it and exile target creature.

At the beginning of your upkeep, remove a time counter from ~ and put a +1/+1 counter on all creatures exiled by it.

When you remove the last time counter from ~, sacrifice it and return all creatures exiled by ~ to the battlefield. Counters remain on the creatures as they move from exile to the battlefield.
Suspend didn't go over especially well as a mechanic, has way too much reminder text, and it feels a bit cleaner to have at least one of the things you're keeping track of on the battlefield.

Herp, I just remade Vanishing, another TS mechanic without the best reception, didn't I? Oh well, let's clean that design up a bit at least.

quote:

~
XWW
Enchantment

Vanishing X
When ~ enters the battlefield, exile target creature until ~ leaves the battlefield.
Whenever you remove a time counter from ~, put a +1/+1 counter on all creatures exiled by it.
Counters stay on creatures exiled by ~ as they move from exile to the battlefield.

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 29, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

You could just have it say

Oblivionish Ring XWW
Enchantment

Vanishing X
Exile target creature for as long as ~ is on the battlefield.
Whenever you remove a time counter from ~, put a +1/+1 counter on ~.
When ~ leaves the battlefield, move each +1/+1 counter on it to the targeted creature.

It actually works because of last-known information, though I imagine the only thing they're more loathe to do than bring back suspend is to print a card that has two kinds of counters on it and makes both on its own.

v v Originally I had your post quoted, I was riffing on Vanishing, but instead of adding Skullbriar's text, I simply put the +1/+1 counters where they belong - on a permanent on the battlefield :colbert:

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 29, 2014

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Beeeeeeeeaaaaaaat you! :cheeky:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I have an even worse idea.

Name XWW

Enchantment

Exile target creature with X time counters on it. It gains suspend, if it doesn't have it.
Whenever you remove a time counter from exile creature, put a something counter on ~
Exiled creature enters the battlefield with Y +1/+1 counters on it, where Y is the number of something counters on ~.

Wording is a bit quick and dirty, but it should work I think.

My own submission:

Self explanatory, it's a bear man warrior man.

And because it's a challenge:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

Everblight posted:

v v Originally I had your post quoted, I was riffing on Vanishing, but instead of adding Skullbriar's text, I simply put the +1/+1 counters where they belong - on a permanent on the battlefield :colbert:

Bah, fine. Do you ever get tired of being right? :cheeky:

:stare:
I don't know what card I'm making from this, but I need to make a card from this.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Sleep of Bronze posted:

:stare:
I don't know what card I'm making from this, but I need to make a card from this.

Something something, Cephalid Samurai, something something.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
A 1/1 with Bushido 7.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

HitTheTargets posted:

A 1/1 with Bushido 7.

CMC5 probably. 3UU or 2UUU?

Any other abilities? Something to do with bouncing maybe?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

HitTheTargets posted:

A 1/1 with Bushido 7.

Was literally doing this before you posted it. :argh:

Edited by decree for maximum octopus.

Both by noah-kh.

mdct fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 29, 2014

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Was literally doing this before you posted it. :argh:

I'll put in the art for others in a few.

"Can block 7 additional creatures" :cthulhu:

I approve of the flavor text, though.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
It's either that or a weenie that can equip things easily.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Thank you for all the criticism! I've taken Everblight's wording, though I've changed it so that the card itself only ever has charge counters on it, since I'm fairly certain +1/+1 counters are only for creatures.

Also, those are some excellent pictures, Serperoth.

Edit: A new card, from Mighty Dicktron's offerings.

, Zhao Enzhe's Vindictive Mainland.

Aabcehmu fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 29, 2014

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Wraps some powerful effects, but with the side effect of being a huge target.
This is a bloated card that lacks synergy with other green things and generates presence too slow to be advantageous. Look at something like Primeval Bounty for the kinds of effects big green things should be doing.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

I think it would be cool if it gave you the first effect for G and the second effect for 2, since the second effect is a little bit stronger imo?

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Gensuki posted:

I think it would be cool if it gave you the first effect for G and the second effect for 2, since the second effect is a little bit stronger imo?

Certainly! I actually thought that's what I posted. I guess I just forgot to change it. Edited.

Edit: Just realized there was a typo! I corrected that too. Now the number of elves remains constant.

Aabcehmu fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 29, 2014

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

This falls into the trap of "Too complicated for common/uncommon, not funky enough for rare".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Gynovore posted:

This falls into the trap of "Too complicated for common/uncommon, not funky enough for rare".

Does the slightly modified and typo-corrected version in my up-to-date post do any better? If it doesn't, do you happen to have any particular suggestions, or does it just not fit the way it is?

• Locked thread