Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Powershift posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EITiqurE8dc
It costs the equivalent of $72,000 in the UK. That would be a tough sell in north america.

Drop that powertrain into whatever SUV shares the platform and it'll sell like crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

KillHour posted:

This is the only CUV I've ever seen that doesn't look like a turd. It's basically a hatchback with a high beltline.

Isn't there a CLA hatchback already? I assume no one is going off-roading in a GLA so I don't understand the advantage of this over a hatchback CLA.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

davebo posted:

Isn't there a CLA hatchback already? I assume no one is going off-roading in a GLA so I don't understand the advantage of this over a hatchback CLA.

It's got AWD standard? That pretty much covers the price bump over the CLA, theres very little price difference between the two.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Take any European economy number reported in MPG with a grain of salt. Most countries use L/100km; the only country still using miles and gallons is the UK, and as we should all know, Imperial gallons are larger than US gallons (4.55 liters vs 3.79), so "MPG" numbers are inflated compared to what we'd see here.

Take this:

That 67 mpg they report is only equivalent to 56 in US units.

Also makes for a little eyerolling when they review US-only cars on TG. Watched the episode yesterday where Jeremy Clarkson drove the GT500 across Europe. Towards the start he was whinging about the 12 mpg, when I'd bet the car's display was in US gallons and it was actually getting 14.4mpg in the British units he's comparing to, which seems small but is actually a 20% improvement in fuel economy over the 12 uk mpg he was thinking it was. Also he was going full throttle a lot which artificially depressed the numbers but that's nothing new with Clarkson involved. E: scripted show, tv persona, yadda yadda yadda.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The issue with UK MPG is the same as that in the US, or anywhere else with government-mandated testing/publication:

- You must publish figures from tests
- Everyone must use the same, approved test, in order to be comparable
- As the test is always the same, all manufacturers optimise to get a really good number in it, as they can't afford to fall behind anyone else (who are also doing this)
- Fuel economy appears to get better and better in new cars, per published figures.
- People buy new cars, and bitch that the economy they get, although much better than in older cars, is a long way from what was advertised
- No manufacturer can risk optimising for real-world usage, because it would be at the expense of test results, and even if people who have bought their cars realise that a real 50mpg is a whole lot better than a nominal 60mpg (which is really 45), and they can't publish these real-world comparisions, only the "official" test numbers.
- People keep bitching, and the powers that be try to curry favour with the public by promising new tests, better tests, which will more accurately reflect real-world usage.
- Goto 10.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The E-class we're discussing is rated at 67.8, and got 73.2 in the africa-Uk video i posted.

Twerk from Home posted:

It's got AWD standard? That pretty much covers the price bump over the CLA, theres very little price difference between the two.

No, base model is FWD.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Powershift posted:

No, base model is FWD.

I can't see it on Mercedes USA site anywhere, all that I see is the 4MATIC one at $33k.
http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/class/class-GLA/bodystyle-SUV

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
That GLA is just an A-Class hatch in heels with some black plastic bits glued on, and they have the balls to call it a loving SUV. I just don't understand this stupid trend of dancing around hatchbacks in America with these dumb "CUV" versions with worse driving dynamics. I bet it would outsell an A-Class hatch 3 to 1 here sadly.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

BabyMauler posted:

That GLA is just an A-Class hatch in heels with some black plastic bits glued on, and they have the balls to call it a loving SUV. I just don't understand this stupid trend of dancing around hatchbacks in America with these dumb "CUV" versions with worse driving dynamics. I bet it would outsell an A-Class hatch 3 to 1 here sadly.

The top-selling family sedan in America is a crew cab truck and this surprises you?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

davebo posted:

This is the only MB hatchback available in the US:

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/vehicles/class/class-B

Edit: The car you're thinking of is the A45 hatch, and is only available in Europe.

:suicide:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 29, 2014

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Wheeee posted:

The top-selling family sedan in America is a crew cab truck and this surprises you?

Those crew cab trucks are really pretty drat cheap and get passable mileage, >16mpg now. Americans love huge vehicles and I know a bunch of people who use trucks as commuters.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Twerk from Home posted:

... get passable mileage, >16mpg now...

For certain values of 'passable' I guess. That would be horrifyingly poor economy in most places.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

dissss posted:

For certain values of 'passable' I guess. That would be horrifyingly poor economy in most places.

Don't worry, you get to hear them bitch non-stop about how much it costs to fill their truck up any time gas prices get anywhere near $4/gallon.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

KillHour posted:

Edit: The car you're thinking of is the A45 hatch, and is only available in Europe.

Could be, or I may just be misremembering some photoshop concept of a CLA hatchback. I'm always disappointed with the lack of wagons in America and people are always photoshopping them into existence. My life would be a fair amount more convenient if my Optima SX suddenly had a D pillar.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

dissss posted:

My brother in law has a V6 F150 and V6 Genesis Coupe, the F150 gets better fuel economy. Is 18ish mpg really that bad now? The trucks have nice range with that 36 gallon tank on the Ecoboost ones.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

The day that Chrysler buys Mazda outright and turns it into Dodge Asia can't come soon enough.

Because you want to see Mazda driven into the ground? Chrysler is perhaps the most historically idiotically managed automaker still in existance. They've had a few talented engineers and designers whose ideas are almost always hosed up and of terrible quality by the time they hit the street (until very, very recently). Mazda has made one major mistake by trying to subbrand in the late 80s/early 90s, and you might call the rotary a mistake, too, but that's it. Marchionne might bring Chrysler up to the standard of a Renault-Nissan, but I'll stick with Mazda, thanks.

blk fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 29, 2014

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

My brother in law has a V6 F150 and V6 Genesis Coupe, the F150 gets better fuel economy. Is 18ish mpg really that bad now? The trucks have nice range with that 36 gallon tank on the Ecoboost ones.

If they are just using it to perform the same tasks that a midsize sedan could complete, then yes, 18 mpg is pretty goddamned bad.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Augmented Dickey posted:

If they are just using it to perform the same tasks that a midsize sedan could complete, then yes, 18 mpg is pretty goddamned bad.

Sure but how do you factor in the value of being able to just drive over curbs and barriers at the grocery store parking lot rather than having to follow the painted lines?

I sometimes miss driving a small truck just for all the poo poo I could drive over or through and wish there was going to be a modern small truck on the market next year made by anyone but GM.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

SouthLAnd posted:

Mazda makes really good cars though. FCA Mazda would make reskinned Darts.

Aren't darts just reskinned Neons?

KillHour posted:

:suicide:

Umph umph.

This same car exists over here in sedan form. But the US never gets the hatch version of any car it seems.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 29, 2014

BigBadBrewsta
Mar 11, 2002

"The State of Iowa: let us exceed your already low expectations."

-Raygun T-Shirt

Linux Nazi posted:

Built on the Fiat Compact platform, of which the Alfa Romeo Giulietta is built. Not a Neon. Not really a Chrysler in the classic sense of the word.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Linux Nazi posted:

The Neon died in 2005 and the Dart came back in 2012, that'd be a hell of a revival if this were true.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Actually, if you look at the last model Neon next to a Dart, it's not much of a stretch to think there wasn't the Caliber between them.

Edit:

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 29, 2014

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Thwomp posted:

Actually, if you look at the last model Neon next to a Dart, it's not much of a stretch to think there wasn't the Caliber between them.

No doubt, but to think that they'd bring a chassis that's been dead for 7 years back is far-fetched.

Here's the actual data, they're pretty close in most measurements. The Dart is unsurprisingly larger overall, both in dimensions and weight, and it has more power.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 29, 2014

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Linux Nazi posted:

Umph umph.

This same car exists over here in sedan form. But the US never gets the hatch version of any car it seems.

This is true, it seems we never get any fun versions of any car that other parts of the world get. I would kill for a 2 door shooting brake to be sold in the states instead of bloated out pimp mobiles that homies and bro's in this area love.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wheeee posted:

Sure but how do you factor in the value of being able to just drive over curbs and barriers at the grocery store parking lot rather than having to follow the painted lines?

I sometimes miss driving a small truck just for all the poo poo I could drive over or through and wish there was going to be a modern small truck on the market next year made by anyone but GM.

What's really sad is that a truck might be about the only viable replacement DD for me at this point. I need something big enough to haul myself and 2-3 other people to Colorado 5+ times a year and that can easily handle my kayak and bicycle. My Golf is severely lacking in space once you add more than one person and their ski/snowboarding gear. The new GMC Canyon diesel is pretty tempting since the only diesel wagon I can get is a loving BMW that somehow manages to feel less lively than my Golf does. And also costs over $50k with any options.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Fucknag posted:

Take any European economy number reported in MPG with a grain of salt. Most countries use L/100km; the only country still using miles and gallons is the UK, and as we should all know, Imperial gallons are larger than US gallons (4.55 liters vs 3.79), so "MPG" numbers are inflated compared to what we'd see here.

Take this:

That 67 mpg they report is only equivalent to 56 in US units.

Also makes for a little eyerolling when they review US-only cars on TG. Watched the episode yesterday where Jeremy Clarkson drove the GT500 across Europe. Towards the start he was whinging about the 12 mpg, when I'd bet the car's display was in US gallons and it was actually getting 14.4mpg in the British units he's comparing to, which seems small but is actually a 20% improvement in fuel economy over the 12 uk mpg he was thinking it was. Also he was going full throttle a lot which artificially depressed the numbers but that's nothing new with Clarkson involved. E: scripted show, tv persona, yadda yadda yadda.

It's really very simple to switch that display from US gallons to UK gallons, so if Top Gear were a serious review program about cars like it was in 1991 that's not such a sure bet. Having just spent a week with a Stingray believe me it is quite possible to record single digit fuel economy if you drive it in Sport or Track mode. It's a different kind of fun—a less childish kind—to do the opposite and see how much pace you can maintain in Eco, which also tells you when the engine's only running on four cylinders, but Jeremy Clarkson's schtick is to be the boorish English oaf bumbling around the place shouting at foreigners. If the most offensive thing he said about your country was that a Corvette's gas mileage was 17% worse than the actual number, I think you've gotten off pretty lightly.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

fknlo posted:

What's really sad is that a truck might be about the only viable replacement DD for me at this point. I need something big enough to haul myself and 2-3 other people to Colorado 5+ times a year and that can easily handle my kayak and bicycle. My Golf is severely lacking in space once you add more than one person and their ski/snowboarding gear. The new GMC Canyon diesel is pretty tempting since the only diesel wagon I can get is a loving BMW that somehow manages to feel less lively than my Golf does. And also costs over $50k with any options.

That's when owning 2 vehicles starts to look appealing and even make sense. IMO, if you live in the city it's just not sensible to daily drive an F-150 or other large vehicle just for those several times a year you need to haul and tow things. I know parking for multiple vehicles (or even one) can be a constraint, of course, but at least around here you aren't going to fit an F-150-sized truck into any of the apartment/condo garages anyway.

I do enough outdoorsy dirt/snow stuff that I'm thinking about picking up something like a used 4Runner or Forester or something along those lines for that purpose, and either keeping my E46 as my city/daily car or even downsizing back to something like a BRZ/Miata. I wouldn't care cosmetically about an outdoors beater, the abysmal gas mileage is largely irrelevant since it's not a DD, it could comfortably haul 3-4 adults + gear, do it in all road conditions, and I wouldn't be paranoid about leaving it at a trailhead for 4 days.

Edit: didn't realize the Canyon is a "compact" truck, not F-150 sized. But it's still drat big, not like the compact trucks of the 80s/90s. I still would rather have a used truck/SUV to beat around outdoors with, and a nice small fun car for city driving.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 29, 2014

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

pik_d posted:

No doubt, but to think that they'd bring a chassis that's been dead for 7 years back is far-fetched.

Here's the actual data, they're pretty close in most measurements. The Dart is unsurprisingly larger overall, both in dimensions and weight, and it has more power.

Whoa, are those weights right? Why is the Dart so heavy? 3200lbs seems like midsize sedan terretory.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Guinness posted:

That's when owning 2 vehicles starts to look appealing and even make sense. IMO, if you live in the city it's just not sensible to daily drive an F-150 or other large vehicle just for those several times a year you need to haul and tow things. I know parking for multiple vehicles (or even one) can be a constraint, of course, but at least around here you aren't going to fit an F-150-sized truck into any of the apartment/condo garages anyway.

I do enough outdoorsy dirt/snow stuff that I'm thinking about picking up something like a used 4Runner or Forester or something along those lines for that purpose, and either keeping my E46 as my city/daily car or even downsizing back to something like a BRZ/Miata. I wouldn't care cosmetically about an outdoors beater, the abysmal gas mileage is largely irrelevant since it's not a DD, it could comfortably haul 3-4 adults + gear, do it in all road conditions, and I wouldn't be paranoid about leaving it at a trailhead for 4 days.

My plan for a long time now has been to have my Golf as my DD and then a fun car. I didn't really foresee the Golf not being enough car for me since I'm a single dude with no kids. I guess it's more than enough car for me, it's the whole thing when you add other people to the mix. To it's credit, you can fit 4 guys and all their gear inside when the ski attachment blows off the roof rack halfway across Kansas. It wasn't even remotely comfortable, but it worked.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Augmented Dickey posted:

Whoa, are those weights right? Why is the Dart so heavy? 3200lbs seems like midsize sedan terretory.
Most new cars are like that, it's all the additional safety features new cars have.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

fknlo posted:

The new GMC Canyon diesel is pretty tempting

The new Canyon/Colorado look tempting on paper but they're being made GM, the Pinto-level evil and incompetent company whose latest major recall in an attempt to stave off future criminal negligence lawsuits is for loving seat mounts in their trucks which are so poorly welded they can crack and shear off.

I wish Rangers weren't holding their value so well on the used market, they're nicely sized little trucks.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Augmented Dickey posted:

That's also about what the (infinitely better and larger) Mazda6 weighs, and it's been getting real world fuel economy that puts even a lot of smaller cars to shame. Pretty amazing really (and probably my next car, so I'm being biased now).

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Kenshin posted:

Most new cars are like that, it's all the additional safety features new cars have.

No, the dort is actually the fat kid in class.

From motor trend actually putting the cars on a scale

Dort: 3292
civic: 2802
Elantra: 2895
Forte: 2948
mazda 3: 2889
corolla: 2887
jetta: 3103
cruse: 3029
focus: 2962

Midsize:
malibu: 3495
200: 3439
accord: 3327
optima: 3384
mazda 6: 3262
altima: 3238
camry: 3207
passat: 3233
fusion: 3312

The dort really is as fat as a mid size.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Powershift posted:

No, the dort is actually the fat kid in class.

From motor trend actually putting the cars on a scale

Dort: 3292
civic: 2802
Elantra: 2895
Forte: 2948
mazda 3: 2889
corolla: 2887
jetta: 3103
cruse: 3029
focus: 2962

Midsize:
malibu: 3495
200: 3439
accord: 3327
optima: 3384
mazda 6: 3262
altima: 3238
camry: 3207
passat: 3233
fusion: 3312

The dort really is as fat as a mid size.

Huh, good point. I'd... not actually realized the Dart wasn't a midsize. They're kinda ugly.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I wouldn't be so sure the hellcat is not going to be cross shopped with Porsches and what not.

Almost every time I go somewhere with a flashy valet section, there is an srt8 or otherwise very aggressive challenger parked next to the usual stable of German and Italian sex machines. People with enough disposable money to buy that poo poo value cool first and the hellcat is really drat cool despite it's lower price tag/prestige.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

keykey posted:

This is true, it seems we never get any fun versions of any car that other parts of the world get. I would kill for a 2 door shooting brake to be sold in the states instead of bloated out pimp mobiles that homies and bro's in this area love.
BMW Z3/Z4 coupe or Ferrari FF?

Only ones sold in the US that immediately jump to mind. :(

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

HotCanadianChick posted:

BMW Z3/Z4 coupe or Ferrari FF?

Only ones sold in the US that immediately jump to mind. :(

Makes me sad too, because I love shooting brakes. Does the Z4 actually qualify, though? I suppose it does in shape, if not in function, but the term has been used for so many disparate models of car who knows.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Twerk from Home posted:

Hyundai's really hosed up or they need to learn to drive if they can't break 18mpg in a Genesis sedan, let alone the coupe. The Mustang GT with the slushbox does better than that in town.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Kenshin posted:

Makes me sad too, because I love shooting brakes. Does the Z4 actually qualify, though? I suppose it does in shape, if not in function, but the term has been used for so many disparate models of car who knows.

Eh, it's close enough - it's a two door with a big hatch and storage area in back (big relative to the overall size of the car):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

BabyMauler posted:

Because you can shenanigans your hatch in heels into a 'light truck' and game your CAFE fleet numbers