Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
I don't recall this being posted, but this, outside of the interview with Maron on WTF, is one of the few candid interviews with Norm Macdonald I've ever heard

http://teamcoco.com/content/norm-macdonald-team-coco-podcast-137

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

New episode up.

Martin Mull.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
That was really good. You can tell Norm reveres the guy

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I wasn't as enthused with this one, he just seemed kind of dull. Norm seemed like he really respects Martin, but it just wasn't fun.

Eb
May 6, 2003
I do find generally the less respect Norm has for a guest, the funnier the episode is.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
"Old Joe Stalin was a hell of a guy..."

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Norm quietly laughing at his own joke "I used to go to Gambler's Anonymous. What a bunch of losers!" was great.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Norm quietly laughing at his own joke "I used to go to Gambler's Anonymous. What a bunch of losers!" was great.

Juuust got that

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

"I used to go to Gambler's Anonymous. What a bunch of losers!"

Goddammit.

Hayburner
Jan 29, 2005

hi
Norm's impression of other people's impression of him is the best

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

It's funny how he went on that whole "political correctness gone mad!!" Thing when Todd glass went on a 80 min rant about that 4 episodes ago

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I love Martin Mull, but it was ironic that the star of Dads was ranting about people being overly PC these days. If you want an example of trying to push the limit with the blandest, most obvious racist/sexist jokes and stereotypes, it was Dads.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Terror Sweat posted:

It's funny how he went on that whole "political correctness gone mad!!" Thing when Todd glass went on a 80 min rant about that 4 episodes ago

I dont think either guy even meant the same thing by political correctness. I think if you got them together theyd both agree on every point except whether whatever the phrase "political correctness" means being good or bad. its such a dumb meaningless term at this point.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Yeeeah, but I don't think the Dads humor would sit well with Todd Glass. Some of the "jokes" really were just a racist/sexist statement with no commentary/context (that I could find). Those two guests are kind of two sides of an argument.

Then again, Todd loves Family Guy, so who knows?

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
The hyper-realism bit from this weeks podcast was great. It's also always funny when Norm speaks candidly about his impressions of Hollywood people and the guest just sort of uncomfortably stares off into the void.

Martin Mull seemed like a cool guy, but it seems like any time Norm reveres a guest the podcast becomes immediately less funny. I just want him to book Todd Glass, Stoeller, and even Sandler to an extent ("I think Click will go down as one of those It's a Wonderful Life type films") types nonstop so he can do what he does best; overtly mocking their careers/opinions.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Maybe I fell for it but I thought he was serious about Click, if only because when that came out I remember a lot of people being like, "No, this is actually a really good, sentimental movie."

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
He was totally serious about click. Norm is very loyal to sandler

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
Interesting. I knew he was loyal to Sandler, I just thought for sure he was ribbing him there. I never managed to finish Click so I guess that was a pretty unwarranted assumption.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Well it's sort of the Conan/Letterman thing where he's said he's looser on Conan because he considers him a colleague, where with Letterman he feels he has to prepare himself more because he totally idolises the guy. Anyways I've liked all the guests so I'm mostly indifferent.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Norm really seems to look up to Roseanne and Fred Willard too but it's not like he held back in either of those episodes.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Skip My Posts posted:

He was totally serious about click. Norm is very loyal to sandler

I have a hard time believing Norm is serious about anything. But Click was one of his better movies, it was still pretty bad, but not the worst and it had a good heart, but wasn't anywhere near great for me.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Good god, I had no idea Jack Carter was still alive. He had a recurring role as Wilbur Cobb (the demented old man) on Ren and Stimpy 20 years ago!

bobservo fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 5, 2014

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear
"Norm MacDonald Live is taking a short summer hiatus."
Boooooooooooo

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

How Much Art posted:

"Norm MacDonald Live is taking a short summer hiatus."
Boooooooooooo

See you guys next April.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
When Norm was bitching about a comic that used to explain every joke, is it just me or was it a veiled rib directed towards Todd Glass? Adam Eget seemed like he had a ''I know what you're doing here'' laugh.

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
I enjoyed this episode a lot more than I thought. Jack seemed a little rough at the beginning, but was hilariously curmudgeonly towards a lot of older comedians and even trashed Gilbert. The jokes segment was great, too.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Whatever that's referencing, I can't find it in VPN or Norm's feeds. Is it about the hiatus?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Was Norm really in the running for hosting the late late show? I thought he was joking about wanting to do that, but his past tweets say otherwise....

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat
He seemed to be making an honest effort for it, and was touched by the outpouring of support for it. I don't know if he was ever "in the running," though. Just trying to show that he'd be great at it.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Urk! posted:

Whatever that's referencing, I can't find it in VPN or Norm's feeds. Is it about the hiatus?

Yes!

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Seems like he reached out to the "one man whose decision it was" and was hurt that he was never contacted back. To be fair, as much as we all love him, Norm appears to be a nightmare to work with. Flighty as all hell, with a knack for unconventional comedy often at the expense of his employers or co-workers. He can't play the Troll for fifteen years and then suddenly want to be the straight man doing legitimate interviews on a major network program. Not without a lot of hardship, at least.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Advice posted:

He can't play the Troll for fifteen years and then suddenly want to be the straight man doing legitimate interviews on a major network program. Not without a lot of hardship, at least.

This would make sense if the one replacing Letterman wasn't Colbert

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
By the Troll I of course don't just mean his on-air persona, but how goddamn unreliable he is as far as scheduling, product endorsement, and even comedy, at least sticking to a script. He's a goddamn loose cannon, and one more outburst like that and he's off the force never going to find work again.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Even though James Corden is a very out of left field choice, there was never a chance Norm was included in any of serious discussions past day 1. We're talking about a guy whose ESPYs monologue was so brutally funny (read: offensive) to the athletes that people still talk about it to this day. I just ordered Poking A Dead Frog today and the free kindle preview gave me this gem from Jim Downey, who was fired along with Norm:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Advice posted:

Seems like he reached out to the "one man whose decision it was" and was hurt that he was never contacted back. To be fair, as much as we all love him, Norm appears to be a nightmare to work with. Flighty as all hell, with a knack for unconventional comedy often at the expense of his employers or co-workers. He can't play the Troll for fifteen years and then suddenly want to be the straight man doing legitimate interviews on a major network program. Not without a lot of hardship, at least.

He's said before that if he had a late-night show his first thing would be to redo the format, since he thinks they've gotten too samey. He's mentioned this a lot of times! So he wouldn't really necessarily be the straight man doing interviews, also he's clearly not too hard to work with or else he wouldn't have had like 4 sitcoms.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

Hat Thoughts posted:

He's said before that if he had a late-night show his first thing would be to redo the format, since he thinks they've gotten too samey. He's mentioned this a lot of times! So he wouldn't really necessarily be the straight man doing interviews, also he's clearly not too hard to work with or else he wouldn't have had like 4 sitcoms.

When did he have four sitcoms? I remember The Norm Show and that's it. Not 100% trying to be a dick, partly curious if there's more Norm stuff for me to consume.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
He was in A Minute with Stan Hooper on Fox. Also, The Sports Show with Norm MacDonald, which wasn't technically a sitcom, but should still count for something.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

I'd buy a t-shirt if it said "I PAID ADAM EGRET $15".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

He was in A Minute with Stan Hooper on Fox. Also, The Sports Show with Norm MacDonald, which wasn't technically a sitcom, but should still count for something.

I'll never understand why Comedy Central had The Sports Show debut around the same time as The Onion's Sportsdome. That was at the tail-end of their deserved reputation for cancelling shows after one season. Both were doomed to fail. Sorry to Norm, but SportsDome was loving amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvJ90_eZErw

• Locked thread