Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Miss Wallace posted:

Blip had nothing to do with it. They don't run the site and don't have anything to do with talent pick up. And yes, they've been on autopilot for quite awhile.

As for how people were picked, I don't think you're wrong to assume it had to do with things that were accessible. Rob did mention not wanting to over saturate with niches that're already covered, so some good people just didn't make it for that reason. So it doesn't necessarily mean you weren't good enough if you didn't make it.

Do you have a backup plan for when blip will fold eventually?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Blockbuster Buster reminds me of a Dollar Store version of Angry Joe.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
NC looks back on The Purge today, and I have to say, I really wasn't expecting it to end how it did. Hearing The Brain (played by Maurice LaMarche) curse out Pinky (played by Rob Paulsen) while he bawls like a little child was a very surreal experience.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Supersonic Shine posted:

NC looks back on The Purge today, and I have to say, I really wasn't expecting it to end how it did. Hearing The Brain (played by Maurice LaMarche) curse out Pinky (played by Rob Paulsen) while he bawls like a little child was a very surreal experience.

I thought he just got some really good imitators at first. Then it switched to live action. :stare:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Supersonic Shine posted:

Well now I have to watch it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So I was surprised to hear that noted sci-fi video creator SFDebris is joining Channel Awesome?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
So, apparently this is happening.

e X fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 29, 2014

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

e X posted:

So, apparently this is happening.

Link's dead. So whatever it was isn't happening anymore? :shrug:

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Numberfour posted:

I'll probably never know for sure since they only send out a form letter. (which is understandable, with the amount of applicants they received) Even if I did know, it wouldn't make a difference because I wouldn't tailor the show to meet any other criteria except for my own. If I'm not happy with it, why would I be making it?

Yeah, I got a form letter as well. Oh, don't get me wrong, I was in no way suggesting that you change your show to make it more "accessible". After all, I'm not going to change my reviewing criteria/my niche, because..well..those are the things I'm interested in reviewing, and I often get just as many positive responses when I review an obscure movie than when I review something everyone knows about.

Miss Wallace posted:

As for how people were picked, I don't think you're wrong to assume it had to do with things that were accessible. Rob did mention not wanting to over saturate with niches that're already covered, so some good people just didn't make it for that reason. So it doesn't necessarily mean you weren't good enough if you didn't make it.

Thank you! Yeah, I gathered it was something like that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ghostpilot posted:

I posted right above him the same news, that SFDebris is joining CA

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Ghostpilot posted:

It's happening again.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Didn't SFdebris join TGWTG once and then left? Or am I confusing him with somebody else?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Supersonic Shine posted:

WAS the purge a success? I know it didn't TANK but almost everyone I've talked to and most reviews said, at best 'yea it's ok I guess if you can turn your brain off'.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

WAS the purge a success? I know it didn't TANK but almost everyone I've talked to and most reviews said, at best 'yea it's ok I guess if you can turn your brain off'.
It made a lot of money and cost nothing, so yes

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FlamingLiberal posted:

It made a lot of money and cost nothing, so yes

Fair enough, I completely have zero interest in the series so I didn't know the cost/profit breakdown it had. Good for them I guess?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

FlamingLiberal posted:

I posted right above him the same news, that SFDebris is joining CA

Much better than what I thought it was (that his wife wandered off again).

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I had some friends who were really hyped for The Purge and IIRC they hated it because it did nothing with the premise.

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

Well, basically everybody I watch is now on CA.

https://twitter.com/HappyVikingFPoM/status/494250506500313088

Which is awesome because he total deserves it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

DStecks posted:

I had some friends who were really hyped for The Purge and IIRC they hated it because it did nothing with the premise.

Yeah, it's basically a pretty bog standard home invasion movie instead of the anarchy fest it should be. Apparently the sequel actually lives up to the premise, according to Brad's screening at least.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Thundersword238 posted:

Well, basically everybody I watch is now on CA.

https://twitter.com/HappyVikingFPoM/status/494250506500313088

Which is awesome because he total deserves it.
Need to watch this guy, surprised he didn't do a Brutal Legend review, nor a Manowar review.

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah, it's basically a pretty bog standard home invasion movie instead of the anarchy fest it should be. Apparently the sequel actually lives up to the premise, according to Brad's screening at least.
I remember some on CD saying its the best Punisher film yet, though I don't know how that is possible seeing how the Thomas Jane Punisher is great.

Thundersword238
Oct 15, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Need to watch this guy, surprised he didn't do a Brutal Legend review, nor a Manowar review.

He hasn't done a Manowar review, mostly because he doesn't want to do more well known bands, but he did do a Brutal Legend review as a crossover.

http://blip.tv/therosenhacker/the-rosen-hacker-and-happyviking-review-brutal-legend-5902190

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

I remember some on CD saying its the best Punisher film yet, though I don't know how that is possible seeing how the Thomas Jane Punisher is great.

He did a Brutal Legend review with someone else. http://blip.tv/frothy-pint-of-metal/frothy-pint-of-metal-stoned-jesus-review-6586084

edit: God drat it, beaten.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

DStecks posted:

I found myself agreeing with Doug as the review went on. The premise could have made a really good dark comedy or satire. I'm not sure that there's many who could have pulled it off (definitely not this creative team), but at least it would have been a more entertaining failure.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Mr. Fowl posted:

I found myself agreeing with Doug as the review went on. The premise could have made a really good dark comedy or satire. I'm not sure that there's many who could have pulled it off (definitely not this creative team), but at least it would have been a more entertaining failure.

I could see the premise working with Terry Gilliam or Paul Verhoeven going the dark comedy and/or satire route. Also I think during his review of the sequel Brad or one of his friends said that regardless of the rules everyone would just go kill the rich white people first because obviously.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
But the rich white people would have tougher security, wouldn't they?

Supersonic Shine fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jul 30, 2014

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

achillesforever6 posted:

I respectfully disagree.

RustyTrombone
Oct 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Why don't they make their site not look and perform like garbage before bringing in a bunch of new talent that can sit on the bottom of the page or behind 4 sub menus?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The most aggravating part of the Purge was the fact that they did not explain any of the logistics, other than "release the beast" and "it just works". C'mon the best parts of a fictional holiday is trying to make it sound plausible. You'd assume the film with it's realistic take (bar Henry, please let this guy be in better and more fun films) that it would go in detail, but no. Even the scientist on the tv never had anything like an F.A.Q. for the shillion what ifs that could happen in the Purge.

As a side note I found it funny that NC pretty much said the whole thing sounded like a whiny teenager bitching that there was nothing to bitch about.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Annointed posted:

The most aggravating part of the Purge was the fact that they did not explain any of the logistics, other than "release the beast" and "it just works". C'mon the best parts of a fictional holiday is trying to make it sound plausible. You'd assume the film with it's realistic take (bar Henry, please let this guy be in better and more fun films) that it would go in detail, but no. Even the scientist on the tv never had anything like an F.A.Q. for the shillion what ifs that could happen in the Purge.

I haven't seen the film, so I feel like a bit of a tit going on about this at all, but I thought I heard somewhere was that the implication was meant to be that the Purge doesn't actually work, and that it takes place in a totalitarian state that the privileged protagonists are largely oblivious to; and that the scientist stuff is propaganda designed to disguise that the Purge's real purpose is population control and nothing more.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Supersonic Shine posted:

But the rich white people would have tougher security, wouldn't they?
Having watched enough zombie films in my lifetime I know that it doesn't matter how much security, gently caress around the poor enough they will rise up and kill/eat you.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

RustyTrombone posted:

Why don't they make their site not look and perform like garbage before bringing in a bunch of new talent that can sit on the bottom of the page or behind 4 sub menus?

The site redesign is coming any second now. Any second.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

watho posted:

Uh.

Huh.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The message I got from The Purge was, ultimately, people believe everything is fine until it happens to them. It was one big "well, I never had any problems with it so it must be OK!" then fill in the blank as to what it pertains to. Anywhere from social/economical equality to hardware/software problems with your favorite device/game.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

watho posted:

JO said these words almost a year ago.

It's in this thread somewhere.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

KayTee posted:

JO said these words almost a year ago.

It's in this thread somewhere.

I remember that she said that sarcastically.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't Rob say that in a previous thread?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

DStecks posted:

I remember that she said that sarcastically.

I'd assume so. I'm pretty sure that most people who do, do it sarcastically.

Also, serious question. Is there anything good about TGWTG.com? Like any reason to not just watch the producers you like on their pages or blip?

I dunno, the site just seems to grow without evolving to me if that makes any sense. :shrug:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

DStecks posted:

I haven't seen the film, so I feel like a bit of a tit going on about this at all, but I thought I heard somewhere was that the implication was meant to be that the Purge doesn't actually work, and that it takes place in a totalitarian state that the privileged protagonists are largely oblivious to; and that the scientist stuff is propaganda designed to disguise that the Purge's real purpose is population control and nothing more.

I saw this angle too, with them talking about the new founding fathers towards the end, and the cultlike devotion to the idea of the Purge especially from the neighbors, but they never did anything with it.

Also, the movie would have been better served if set further in the future. You can still have the Purge as beginning very soon, but it's more believable if at least a generation passes before it's scene as "the way things are"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Mr. Fowl posted:

I saw this angle too, with them talking about the new founding fathers towards the end, and the cultlike devotion to the idea of the Purge especially from the neighbors, but they never did anything with it.

Also, the movie would have been better served if set further in the future. You can still have the Purge as beginning very soon, but it's more believable if at least a generation passes before it's scene as "the way things are"

But then you run into the problem of future-technology, plus you end up flirting with the SF ghetto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

Uh, he's talking about The Purge. Where did you get The Punisher from?

And for the record. Punisher: War Zone is WAY better than The Punisher. However great Thomas Jane is in the role, the first movie itself was a confused mess of inconsistent tones. It had one of the coolest damned fight sequences intercut with the ridiculous neighbors dancing to music and cooking. Followed shortly by a nasty torture scene that took itself totally seriously. You have John Travolta hamming it up, and this rather dark subplot about Travolta's number 2 man being a closeted homosexual that Punisher exploits in a rather nasty way. You have the ridiculous awesome of a make shift armored car and surprise switchblade gun, and gritty, uncomfortable violence. MAKE UP YOUR MIND, MOVIE.

• Locked thread