Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Nah, the magic olympics as per Satou are deathly dull. Even the one that is essentially 3v3 magic fighting is intensely boring, and the big important match was even more so. This isn't a case of something that could be good if x, y and z were different. It is poo poo from top to bottom, and it will never significantly improve as long as Satou is writing it.

Though, I really would like to see Mahouka get a very liberal adaptation like Sabagebu did. Turning this trash into a (deliberate) farce sounds like a wonderful idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

Rangpur posted:

I bailed on episode 13 and started rewatching Ping-Pong instead. How far will YOU get before the epiphany?

I realized nothing was happening or ever going to happen around episode 11. It's been all uphill from there.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I have only watched like three episodes of the current arc because at least when it was spouting far right-wing talking points I could laugh at it. Those episodes felt like 5 minutes stretched out to 22, and thus it committed the worst crime of all; being the most boring thing I've ever seen.

Rewatching Ping Pong instead is definitely a better use of time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant.

It's a pretty good character comparison because we're supposed to believe that Tatsuya's lack of emotions is a character flaw, but you never see it portrayed as such. It never even inconveniences him or anything. It's just a fake flaw.

Meanwhile there are a few key moments in Ping Pong where you can tell Smile's attitude really has some negative effects on him.

I like to bring up Ping Pong as an example because it's a good show that everybody should watch!!

Indeed, Ping Pong is about the power of defeat to enlighten and heal, which means that Smile's invincibility is a pretty huge problem and the whole show is gearing up to give him the therapeutic smackdown he so desperately needs.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

This show is doing well enough that it will probably get a second season.

Please tell me this is sarcasm/a lie

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

do you really believe this show is selling poorly?

if so, i admire your optimism

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
They'll use the money to make Chihayafuru S3

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

:lol:

Keep dreaming buddy.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Phobophilia posted:

They'll use the money to make Chihayafuru S3

Didn't the 2 anime seasons basically sold relatively little but it helped the manga pick up steam and sell way better?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So in the latest episode, nothing much happened aside from incestuous public displays of affection which deeply disturbed every character watching. Immediately following this was incestuous private displays of affection which were so goddamn gross that they acted as the final straw that finally made me stop watching.

But all I really have to say is congratulations. This show is so unbearably tedious that no one but me seems to be watching it any more. Thank you, denizens of ADTRW, for demonstrating good taste.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Did *coughs blood, grabs Serious Frollicking's uniform* did we win?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
What did they do that was more explicit then before?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

WickedHate posted:

What did they do that was more explicit then before?

No more explicit, much more blatant.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I...I don't think that's possible. I really don't.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh right, for all you Phantasy Star Online 2 players, you may have noticed the in-game adverts for this poo poo. Well apparently Sega is planning for a Mahouka crossover event! So uh, get hype and...poo poo...:geno:

Eddain
May 6, 2007
I'm still watching. I'm just waiting to see people die though.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
The first volume of the BD release is out, and it managed to sell over 10,000 copies in its first week, so I think we're on for more seasons!!

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

darkgray posted:

The first volume of the BD release is out, and it managed to sell over 10,000 copies in its first week, so I think we're on for more seasons!!

I always thought if LN sales had a massive improvement after the anime, LN adaptations would never get another season regardless of BD sales. IIRC that's why Haruhi and Spice and Wolf never got Season 3's. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Eddain posted:

I'm still watching. I'm just waiting to see people die though.

Why would you be waiting to see nameless chinese people die?

Eddain
May 6, 2007

I don't see race. :colbert:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I guess just to see how awfully it's portrayed. I also stopped watching around episode 7-8 or so, just due to how dull it was. It was more interesting when we were directly confronted by someone who thought it was good in this thread.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
This show would be instantly redeemed if after all of the incest overtones it cuts to the sister finally trying to make her move and Tatsuya just stares at her amusingly and smiles as he says "That will never happen, I was castrated as a child. I truly love you as family, how could I do anything else"

And then his sister kills herself.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

We were promised "Ghost the anime". And the show wasn't it when I stopped watching. If it gets to those parts I might check them out.

pentyne posted:

This show would be instantly redeemed if after all of the incest overtones it cuts to the sister finally trying to make her move and Tatsuya just stares at her amusingly and smiles as he says "That will never happen, I was castrated as a child. I truly love you as family, how could I do anything else"

As good as School Days anyway.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I don't watch the anim because I already read the book.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

pentyne posted:

That would improve the anime's quality by roughly 500% so of course that won't happen. Tatsuya (GLORY OF RADIANCE) has long since licked genetics, so only the worthy may carry his offspring. I bet that the author will write something in like that.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

That would improve the anime's quality by roughly 500% so of course that won't happen. Tatsuya (GLORY OF RADIANCE) has long since licked genetics, so only the worthy may carry his offspring. I bet that the author will write something in like that.

Everything posted about the author makes him look like the anime violence obsessed Ayn Rand.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

So in the latest episode, nothing much happened aside from incestuous public displays of affection which deeply disturbed every character watching. Immediately following this was incestuous private displays of affection which were so goddamn gross that they acted as the final straw that finally made me stop watching.

But all I really have to say is congratulations. This show is so unbearably tedious that no one but me seems to be watching it any more. Thank you, denizens of ADTRW, for demonstrating good taste.

Heck I can't speak for everyone else but I stopped because that second arc was dull as heck! The first one was also dull but at least you could talk about the far right-wing politics being espoused. This has nothing fun to talk about because based on what I saw, they managed to stretch 5 minutes of content into 22 and nothing really jumps out as much as speeches during the credits about how poor people suck.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

pentyne posted:

Everything posted about the author makes him look like the anime violence obsessed Ayn Rand.

Boring violence too

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So this is it, the episode where Tatsuya’s rage over what happened to his sister culminates in his wanton slaughter of the filthy Chinese criminals trying to hurt her/make her lose.

Apparently he recruits his operatives from the newly hired ranks of the govt because they are less likely to have strong moral reservations about doing favors for them, and if they do, well “money talks after all”

Then we cut to some shady backroom deal where “Excellency” wants to forcibly take Tatsuya from the clan because said clan is becoming too powerful and they need to break them so they learn their place. Oh, and no. 1 clan heir could be the equivalent of a tank battalion, but Tatsuya is a literal nuke.

So it cuts back to Tatsuya’s attack. Some random bodyguard is magic vaporized, then suddenly the phone rings. It’s Tatsuya calling them to mock them while he effortlessly wipes them out. The head guy grabs a rifle to shoot him, but as he lines up the shot Tatsuya shoots him down the scope and blinds him in one eye. He then vaporizes 2 more random bodyguards, another tries to call out on his cell phone for help but Tatsuya has taken control of all radio waves someone. The last remaining boss is pleading for his life as more guards die around him before he gives up the name of the super head boss Richard Sun “Sun Gonming” (hmm, those names seems distinctly non-Japanese).

Shockingly, the gang boss pleads because “We didn’t kill anyone at all why would you do this?” and Tatsuya’s response “I don’t care how many you kill or don’t kill, you made me angry by involving my sister so I’ll annihilate everyone involved.”

So, the criminal triads have been selling “magic boosters” which is an unforgivable atrocity since the boosters can only be made from the brain of a wizard. Japan of course decries the barbaric practices(oh, North America is supporting them and eager to help) and says no one should ever make them since it makes mages too powerful (…what?)

Ten Master Clans keep getting mentioned, I assume they’re the ruling class of mages more or less like old nobility and desperate to hold onto their power. By the way the fight that emphasizes their “indescribable” power is the one heir making a 7x4 ft black monolith to protect his front that all the enemy mages only attack from the front and are effortlessly beaten back. Nevermind the fact that any defense technique that protects only 180 degrees would be easily brought down by the most inept of mages capable of flanking someone.

The grand ballroom at the end culminates with Tatsuya dancing with like every girl in the series except his sister, while she looks on at him sadly because she’s dancing with the head of the Ten Master Clans.

Also, previous invincible monolith guy drags Tatsuya out of the dance to say “Hey, you’re insanely powerful, if you marry one of the female heirs the sky is the limit” to which Tatsuya goes “I’m just a simple student, I don’t think about things like that”.

Credits roll, and Tatsuya is outside, approached by his sister as she asks him to dance outside by the fountains as the music rises to a crescendo and the fountains in the background spray up and light up to illuminate the moment.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

pentyne posted:

Summary of stuff

Holy poo poo I thought you were kidding... :smith:

that was so lame, yet season 2 seems guaranteed. :argh:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Nothing will come from those plot points. Not even an entertaining train wreck.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's no better in the books, which can use prose to dwell on how terrifying it is for the criminals and also tatsuya keeps going on about being the devil as he kills them all.

My hero~

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Out of curiosity I read some of the spin-off mangas. If anything it's even worse, as it takes the sister's incest creepiness and cranks it up another notch (if that's at all possible).

This is simply a pile of poo poo. If it was a trainwreck like Freezing, at least it'd be horrifying but fascinating, but in this case I can't drop it fast enough.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If you somehow thought Freezing was fascinating in any way, you must not be familiar with any of Im Dal Young's other works. I kind of picture him as looking like MODOK, boldly stating that he is a Mental Organism Designed Only for Misogyny. It is kind of amazing how dedicated he is to that single theme. I wondered if it was a cynical attempt at giving people what they wanted, but then I found out he regularly puts out hentai doujins featuring his own characters being raped.

Satou is a tedious hack, but there is always someone worse.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Freezing is fascinating in its art. In no way will I ever support Im Dal Young as a writer of any sort. However, I fully support his artist, Kim Kwang Hyun. Reading Freezing is like reading one of those men's magazine: you don't pick it up for its riveting articles, but for the pics inside. This is why I compare it to a train wreck: you know it's terrible, but you just can't look away (because of the eye-candy).

Unfortunately, Irregular has no redeeming feature whatsoever, since the majority of it is bland as hell, have just as terrible messages if not worse, and doesn't even have the decency of having enough eye-candy to distract you from its terribleness.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

jwang posted:

Freezing is fascinating in its art. In no way will I ever support Im Dal Young as a writer of any sort. However, I fully support his artist, Kim Kwang Hyun. Reading Freezing is like reading one of those men's magazine: you don't pick it up for its riveting articles, but for the pics inside. This is why I compare it to a train wreck: you know it's terrible, but you just can't look away (because of the eye-candy).

Unfortunately, Irregular has no redeeming feature whatsoever, since the majority of it is bland as hell, have just as terrible messages if not worse, and doesn't even have the decency of having enough eye-candy to distract you from its terribleness.

Exactly who do you think draws those self-published rape comics?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Just reading through this thread I think a more productive use of everyone's time is, whenever the second season starts, we should just make an Mx0 thread instead and pretend it has an anime. Maybe together, the power of imagination will make our dreams come true.

Remember when Taiga beat that shockwave dude with a rock holy poo poo.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

darkgray posted:

ugggggggh

Wait, before I react is that a good showing for a series like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I think 2000 is the magic number to be considered successful, so yeah, it's good.

Also lol at the fact that selling 2000 copies is considered a success in the anime industry.

• Locked thread