Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
I'd rather the one I was keeping an eye on the most (presumably Stamina) were bigger, and the other smaller, even if it's eventually more vital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Yeah but I think if someone didn't know, and you asked them which colour would be for stamina and which one would be for health, they would say green for stamina and red for health.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I just feel health is more important and needs the big red flashing danger signal even if stamina is what we are going to be looking for most of the time.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Does anyone else think it should be switched around so that the red portrait overlay is health and the smaller sidebar is stamina?

Yeah, seems a little backwards right now.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
I think it's fine. The only thing that's backwards (or rather upside down) is the red fill and I don't mind it coming from the top either.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
It's how Payday/Payday2 does their health system, and it's perfectly intuitive with the stamina being a tiny bar and permanent damage indicated for the entire portrait.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The PC Gamer one's pretty good because there's a lot of talk about the systems of the game (So much so that I got confused about the structure of a conversation).

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 30, 2014

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
Seems much more relevant to have the stuff that's actionable in-combat be the more obvious indicator - "You're almost knocked out!" is much more relevant than "Hey after this fight you might wanna have a snooze".

I'd much prefer the indicators to stay as they are.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

That makes sense to me, that the tactical resource deserves a bigger indicator to make it easier to notice at a glance, while a strategic resource that is going to get a non-rushed decision based on it works fine with a smaller, more precise indicator.

I think the colors go against what might be expected, since health usually gets red. Not sure there.

Sea Otter
Oct 9, 2012
Ropekid phrases what I wanted to say about character design variations than I could when I was talking about priest class-I must have phrased terribly. In any case, I'm quite happy with how the design direction of the game turned out, which is what counts after all.

Since the open beta release is nearing, I just feel like I'd rather leave the devs to their actual tasks than spamming them with questions (although I need to limit my own expectations). I normally wouldn't touch beta in order to avoid spoilers but, according to what I've seen so far beta feedback seems to be quite important. I doubt I could be of any help but, at least, I could let the devs gather info about hardware compatibilities.

BTW, I wonder there would be an option of adjusting loudness of internet videos in the future since I had problem with adjusting the volume in this video-the voice of interviewer is too hard to hear but, if I increase the volume, ropekid sounds too loud...

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

quote:

Sawyer: Almost anything in the UI can be switched off. You can turn off combat HUD elements. You can even turn on Big Head mode, which I love.

RPS: Does it have its own dialogue options?

Sawyer: (laughs) No. Very early on I said that I’d always wanted to make a game with Big Head Mode, so here it is. But we have a ton of customisability. The HUD can just be portraits, playing entirely with hotkeys.

The New Vegas DLC tackled some interesting themes and experimented with more environmental storytelling, but I really hope that Obsidian focuses on Big Head content for Pillars.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I'm just worried that some builds won't benefit from a Big Head (unless it means Big Hat mode)

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

xthetenth posted:

I'm just worried that some builds won't benefit from a Big Head (unless it means Big Hat mode)

If there's no Big Frog Helm then gently caress this game

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

xthetenth posted:

Big hats go with big heads. :smug:

I agree that the game looks more like Icewind Dale (the first one, to be honest, given the wooden interface and the Jeremy Soule-ish soundtrack) but I still feel like the art, in terms of equipment, and environment design couldn't simply be placed in IWD without feeling off, and no, I'm not talking about the obvious perspective and quality issues. Unfortunately I don't have a background in art and my vocabulary is quite amateurish, so I can't quite explain why very well :shobon:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

xthetenth posted:

Hats and helms all scale up in Big Head Mode (including frog helms).

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Everybody wins!

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Except the Godlike who can't wear them :(

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

AG3 posted:

Godlike get giant horns or whatever. It all evens out.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Godlike are born with hats as far as I can tell, which is what make them god like

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I love that there are no dedicated personality stats. It lets the development of your character's personality evolve naturally compared to systems where you have to predefine the type of personality of your character ahead of time, then just hope the dialogue choices allow for the kind of character you want to play.

It's also great because it eliminates the need to split character development currency between conversation and combat, which is honestly a pretty poorly designed dilemma.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I just feel health is more important and needs the big red flashing danger signal even if stamina is what we are going to be looking for most of the time.

I'd prefer the red fill on the portraits to be the short-term damage, like it is now. Having my dude's portrait be half red until I rest would get mildly annoying. It's not like a green bar for HP is new or hard to understand, and I do think that the one you're going to be more concerned about in combat should be more prominent.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

AG3 posted:

Some Godlike are born with octopus heads and most of them are even more successful than this perfectly ordinary person.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Are the backgrounds going to be more for flavor than having any real statistic change? Because I sure hope so. Some of the backgrounds in Arcanum were downright broken like the "Beaten with an Ugly Stick" history, while women would lose the max strength bonus if they didn't take the "Tomboy" history

I can't wait to play a closeted 98lb weakling who becomes a body-builder wizard who always hits on the ladies unsuccessfully.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 30, 2014

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
As far as the UI goes, I like that immediate combat stamina gets the most visual real estate. It needs it the most I think.

If it were me, I'd place the overall health bars on top of the character portraits though, emptying from right to left, and maybe make them a bit wider, but that's just me.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Have two layers on the portraits. A thick, red one showing the Stamina, and a thinner, darker one showing the hit points.

Or just do it like in the original Quake, as your health go lower the character portrait grins more.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Are the backgrounds going to be more for flavor than having any real statistic change? Because I sure hope so. Some of the backgrounds in Arcanum were downright broken like the "Beaten with an Ugly Stick" history, while women would lose the max strength bonus if they didn't take the "Tomboy" history

I can't wait to play a closeted 98lb weakling who becomes a body-builder wizard who always hits on the ladies unsuccessfully.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they are purely flavour and don't have any stat effects.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

rope kid posted:

Hats and helms all scale up in Big Head Mode (including frog helms).

:getin:

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

UrbicaMortis posted:

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they are purely flavour and don't have any stat effects.
IIRC from the trailer they did seem to affect starting gear though

e: Looking again, culture changed the gear but background didn't.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 30, 2014

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

gently caress that, why even make an RPG when you can't be a reanimated corpse

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So in the 40 minute video preview, Josh mentions that resting now consumes a camping materials resource!

Awesome. I was wondering how PoE was going to avoid the old 5 Minute Hero Workday problem of resting after every fight.

I do have a question about this though, (aside from "how plentiful will camping supplies be?"). How will this mechanic affect casters? Now that resting is so expensive, are casters going to have to be extremely conservative with their spells now, or to balance this are casters going to have a ton more casts available between rests? Or, do caster spells refresh between every combat instance? Or do casters have a mana-like resource pool in this game as opposed to a fixed number of casts per spell per rest?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

You don't remember how casting works? Some spells are by-will, some are per-encounter and some are per-rest.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

GreatGreen posted:

So in the 40 minute video preview, Josh mentions that resting now consumes a camping materials resource!

Awesome. I was wondering how PoE was going to avoid the old 5 Minute Hero Workday problem of resting after every fight.

I do have a question about this though, (aside from "how plentiful will camping supplies be?"). How will this mechanic affect casters? Now that resting is so expensive, are casters going to have to be extremely conservative with their spells now, or to balance this are casters going to have a ton more casts available between rests? Or, do caster spells refresh between every combat instance? Or do casters have a mana-like resource pool in this game as opposed to a fixed number of casts per spell per rest?

Unless it's been changed as a caster levels up the lower level spells that start out as per-rest will transition into per-encounter and eventually into at-will unlimited casts. Plus they've got a standard unlimited use ranged magic bolt attack.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Actually, how do we choose which spells to cast? Does a given grimoire have at-will, per-encounter slots, etc?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Actually, how do we choose which spells to cast? Does a given grimoire have at-will, per-encounter slots, etc?

Well in any given situation there's only one real choice of spell to cast. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7RosIoQisA

prometheus12345
Oct 4, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

Plus they've got a standard unlimited use ranged magic bolt attack.

I think a low level wizard doesn't have an unlimited ranged magical bolt attack. He can use implements(wands,rods and sceptres) like every other class but he has the blast ability that gives implements additional aoe damage.

Basic Chunnel posted:

If it hasn't changed, each grimoire has four spell slots for different spells per spell level. If the spell level recovers spells at will, per encounter, or per rest depends on your character level.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

prometheus12345 posted:

If it hasn't changed, each grimoire has four spell slots for different spells per spell level. If the spell level recovers spells at will, per encounter, or per rest depends on your character level.

poo poo, how did I miss this bit of mechanics? That sounds awesome. Imagine the feeling of power as you unlock Quizby's Illustrious Exploder as a per-rest spell, and as you continue leveling up it becomes per-encounter, and finally at-will.

Chances of me playing a wizard first just rose dramatically. :getin:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Yeah I would rather have the health "oh god dying" one in red. Regardless of which one is where.

Stamina is green. Like grass energized by the sun.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

FRINGE posted:

Yeah I would rather have the health "oh god dying" one in red. Regardless of which one is where.

Stamina is green. Like grass energized by the sun.

They're unlikely to scrap the red-fill on the portraits, given how much they're sticking to the feel of the old IE games. And having the big glaring damage indicator be tied to the health-like pool that actually matters in (every) battle is the obvious correct choice.

"Stamina shouldn't be red" is a very weak reason for a change that would make the UI less intuitive.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
People don't really think much when they're complaining, so there'll always be weird little things like this.

This is like people complaining about the shade of shadow over grass patches. :spergin:
At least when people brought up the issue of degrading weapons or whatever it was, there was a legitimate rational behind the complaint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Walrus Pete posted:

They're unlikely to scrap the red-fill on the portraits, given how much they're sticking to the feel of the old IE games. And having the big glaring damage indicator be tied to the health-like pool that actually matters in (every) battle is the obvious correct choice.

"Stamina shouldn't be red" is a very weak reason for a change that would make the UI less intuitive.

I think 'blood-red overlay over someone's face somehow not being the health meter' is less intuitive.

Not arguing the stamina meter shouldn't be more visible. As people point out it's the faster moving resource in combat, but I'd say the green meter right now is more visible despite being smaller. The fact that during the demos they had to explicitly explain that part of the UI rather than it being immediately obvious seems to indicate there's some clarity lacking.

Honestly I never thought the red fill on the IE UI was such a vital thing that it had to be carried over, but that's just me. Right now the stamina, health, and cooldowns are all of different colours, widths and orientations. I would have been fine with Darklands-style thin bars on either side of the portrait or something.

• Locked thread