Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

:D Welcome on this beautiful summer's day once more to the SA forums; Even in death, we still post. It's truly an exciting day, bobby.

I was going to join in the discussion but, uh, I'm think I'm good now.

I guess I'll just say death to GW, stocks for the stock god, dividends for his throne and what not.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Can we have a thread that's just for TCM to post in?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I want to frame that loving post and put it on my wall.

I am rock hard!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

:v: Bobby, I just don't know how this second half is going to turn out. But, as a fan, I'd say we all win.

You managed to pull through again, Muffet.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I don't know anything about whether that was a good post, but it was a fun read.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I don't know what to say, really.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
That's a whole lot of words for somebody trying to look like they care less about things than somebody else.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Film critics: insufferable spergs who should just loving tell me if the movie was fun.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
You guys are spergs! You're sperging out! *writes 10,000 word fanfiction about other posters*

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

:D Absolutely. Fear the wrath Bobby.

:v: Fear the wrath Tom.

:gizz:

Never stop posting

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
That post was longer than a loving turn in Warhammer 40k and had a fraction of the fun.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Broken Loose posted:

You guys are spergs! You're sperging out! *writes 10,000 word fanfiction about other posters*

Text can be hard to interpret sometimes. So let me be perfectly clear.

I know we are all spergs, and I care way too much about it because I really enjoy it.

And also I really like you and if you want we can trade desserts during lunch.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I do find it funny that the only thing about me is that I write a blog :shrug:

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
:golfclap:

In a move to increase sales, GW will ramp up the power creep in each new codex, and update each army every month, with exciting new powerhouses like "Killmurderer Greenblob" and "Axeviolence Spruecorner the Floorfound".

Which the actual final codex was will be debated for years, between 'Extra-super-ultramarines' and the so-called 'pale codex', which was bound in the skin of laid-off staff and consisted of the words "bleed for me" repeated several thousand times in different fonts. Photos of upcoming models were featured as normal in the Pale Codex, but were all vertically flipped and printed in negative. Sadly, despite the intriguing new aesthetic of the new army, lack of model support prevented any serious attempt to field them.

e:

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 31, 2014

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Broken Loose posted:

That's a whole lot of words for somebody trying to look like they care less about things than somebody else.

Suddenly I understand why you don't think fun is something worth talking about regarding games.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Asymmetrikon posted:

That post was longer than a loving turn in Warhammer 40k and had a fraction of the fun.
Look how wrong you are. That's the most fun I've ever had in context of 40k.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Xlorp posted:

Look how wrong you are. That's the most fun I've ever had in context of 40k.
We aren't really pushing boundaries here :v:

wizardstick
Apr 27, 2013
You think something that can be recognised as a codex will still exist when GW is still scrabbling for every last penny?

In the dying days it will be individual data slates for each character, unit or whatever!

I am predicting the last one will be a Squat Champion as GW starts mining IP for whatever it can, this will be the first and only Squat release and GWs subsequent death will be met with wailing and gnashing of yellowed rotting teeth (possibly mine).

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I'm very disappointed in you for not taking the opportunity to use Hellshit Murderpost somewhere :colbert:

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Well, guess I can stop reading this thread now. Oh, I didn't actually place a bet yet.

My prediction:
GW WILL NEVER DIE. LONG LIVE THE NEW FLESH OF FINELY DETAILED CAST RESIN.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Broken Loose posted:

the standard is much higher to the point where a person can't recommend it in good faith anymore

Broken Loose posted:

it is unacceptable to buy a game

Oh look, Broken Loose is again literally telling posters what they may and may not purchase or recommend.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I still like Games Workshop and buy their plastic dolls, I just want the company to fail and then be bought by someone who will do a better job.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

As do we all, Hollismason.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

fool_of_sound posted:

Oh look, Broken Loose is again literally telling posters what they may and may not purchase or recommend.

only if you ignore all context and intentionally misread what he wrote

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

S.J. posted:

ignore all text and what he wrote

That is what the Quote button is for.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

S.J. posted:

only if you ignore all context and intentionally misread what he wrote

No, he literally said you can enjoy whatever game you want but, if you suggest another person try it, your suggestion is necessarily in bad faith because better designed games exist that you can and should be suggesting instead. I cannot fathom how you can read anything else into that; that is the actual text of what he wrote.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Saying someone "literally" said something "in the text" and then not actually showing where they said that is pretty much self refuting.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
There's no reason to put 'literally' in quotes, it's a thing he said.

Broken Loose posted:

The whole concept of this conversation is that, to make game recommendations, we dissect and find out what the game contains. Sometimes we find things that have been improved upon since that game was made, so we say "this mechanic or rule could be improved in X way." Nobody has the time or money to meaningfully attempt every game recommended by every living human being, so we have to have some sort of comparative baseline.

"Fun" can apply to literally any activity. Therefore, it is useless for discussion.
If I played a new game, it doesn't help anybody if I say it was "fun." It helps if I say that it has "well-written rules," "balanced asymmetric player sides," "poorly written rules," or "no decision-making involved." Sometimes these descriptors are statements of quality, and sometimes they're just things that specify what kind of game it is. Very rarely (VERY RARELY) do these things end up on a ladder with each corresponding to a Metacritic score.

We live in an age where I can play a game that is rewarding to my competitive mindset, does not frustrate my sister's casual mindset, takes only half an hour to play, has a well-written rulebook, can be taught over a single play, and evokes a really cool idea or narrative while doing all of these. If you're still enjoying Munchkin/40k/Monopoly/flying planes into the Twin Towers, that's okay, but the standard is much higher to the point where a person can't recommend it in good faith anymore.

I have a jetpack, now. I don't need to choose between the bus or bumming a ride off of Flakey Steve. Neither do you; they're available at the store for a fraction the price of a bus pass.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

counterspin posted:

Saying someone "literally" said something "in the text" and then not actually showing where they said that is pretty much self refuting.

It's cool that you post this rather than click on the link provided in the quote of my original post.

Broken Loose posted:

We live in an age where I can play a game that is rewarding to my competitive mindset, does not frustrate my sister's casual mindset, takes only half an hour to play, has a well-written rulebook, can be taught over a single play, and evokes a really cool idea or narrative while doing all of these. If you're still enjoying Munchkin/40k/Monopoly/flying planes into the Twin Towers, that's okay, but the standard is much higher to the point where a person can't recommend it in good faith anymore.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

TheChirurgeon posted:

I loved Necromunda but it could really benefit from a similar streamlining.

GW did that already, except it was called Legends of the Old West. It's ridiculously hard to find for less than $texas, since it was Warhammer Historicals and it's long out of print.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Here's a helpful example about how to better utilize randomness and I can't loving believe I have to pull it from Battletech because Battletech has some of the most egregious uses of randomness in any boardgame loving ever. Now, most rolls in Battletech are resolved on a 2D6 roll. On 2D6, the most likely sum is a 7. The designers are well aware of this and so every table you consult is weighted around the value of 7. When you fire an unaimed shot, you roll 2D6 to see where the shot landed. Assuming you're firing at the front of a mech, the biggest part of that mech is going to be the center torso. The game assigns the random value of 7 to this location. You could still hit the right or left torsos, either arm or leg, or the head. But there's a reasonable chance that the center torso will be hit. This changes if you are firing into the right or left arc of the target. If you are firing at the right side, you have a much better chance of hitting the right torso, and so it gets assigned the value of 7. The tables also take into account that 2 an 12 are the most difficult results to achieve since they can both only be produced by one roll (ie: a 3 can be produced by a 2 and a 1 or a 1 and a 2, but a 2 can only be produced by a 1 and a 1 and a 12 can only be produced by a 6 and a 6). Therefore, the game assigns special unlikely results to these rolls (getting a critical hit and striking the head respectively).

In Necromunda, the end of the game has several random rolls on a table. You roll for injuries and this is done on a D66 roll. Except as far as I can tell, you have an equal chance of rolling an 11 as you do a 66 since the two dice are rolled independently of one another. Unlike a 2D6 roll, every result on a D66 roll is equally unique. The bad results are on the low end and the good results are on the high end. There's nothing that influences these rolls. If your character lives or dies depends entirely on "how well you roll". The game is literally asking you to "roll better".

This is a convention that is as old as dice based games, but that doesn't make it a good one. It is entirely possible to come out of a victorious game of Necromunda and be worse off than the team that lost through a series of unlikely but completely uncontrollable dice rolls. Sure, it forges a narrative, we all have a good laugh about the lessons a Pyrrhic victory teaches us, but often the results are completely nonsensical. The heavy who got punched in the face by an unarmed recruit with S3 now has terrifying scars? The guy who got blasted by a flamethrower broke his leg? The leader who got pummeled by a powerfist some how ended up becoming a champion pitfighter?

You can come up with some crazy, Rube Goldberg-esque story about how each of these things came out of the events of the game, but the fact is they don't represent the actual events of the game and the events of the game weren't at all taken into consideration when those rolls were made.

That is what I feel is bad game design.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Sweet God you guys aren't encouraging people to play 40k, Monopoly, or Munchkin are you?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

counterspin posted:

Sweet God you guys aren't encouraging people to play 40k, Monopoly, or Munchkin are you?

Oh gently caress no, but I've recently started encouraging my friends to try Blood Bowl, since I picked it up recently and am really enjoying it, despite its flaws and outdated design. In fact, to a certain extent the randomness is what drew me in; it forces me to consider backup plans and react to developing situations, rather than simply play a tried-and-true strategy. That's not to say I don't have my criticisms of Blood Bowl, but I feel that it has plenty to recommend it anyway.

My point is that you shouldn't demand that a game equally cater to serious and casual players, be playable in half an hour, be learn-able in a single session, have a well copy-editted rulebook, and all those other things Broken Loose said in order to consider it worthwhile, a reasonable purchase, or recommendable. All those things may make a game better in general terms, but they may mean that the game doesn't fulfill the particular niche you want to play. If I want to play a heist game, for example, I reach for Shadowrun. Shadowrun is a badly flawed game in a number of ways, but I nevertheless prefer it for fans of the game call 'Mirror Shades' play because it has a level of granularity that rewards careful planning, has an interesting hacking system that is more interactive than a simple skill test, yet fast enough to not impose on the other players, and most importantly is, despite the poorly edited book, deceptively simple; easily taught by a a more experienced player. Besides, I like the setting. That said I would never recommend it for less serious, more run-and-gun play, because I consider that sort of play better suited to a more narrative system.

e: tl;dr: The existence of better games does not necessarily invalidate worse ones; it can, but does not always. Many criteria of quality are subjective, and subject to change based on what a person wants from a game.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 31, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I encourage anyone to play Warhammer Quest. I still love that game. Of course it hasn't been out for like 14 years or something ,but still it's awesome.

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010
Blood Bowl is very good in part because the randomness captures the feel of a sporting event. The main skill in the game is trying to reduce how many rolls you need to make/how lucky you need to get, and maximize how many rolls your opponent needs to. But when someone tries a ridiculous low percentage play and pulls it off, it feels much like the fluky plays that occur in real life sports. The full court buzzer beater in basketball, the hail mary pass, etc. People try these in actual sports because they do occasionally work, and the game reflects that.

I haven't played Necromunda in ages, but I also liked the randomness in gang progression. It forces you to work with what you get, instead of just going for what you think is the "best" build. Because of the randomness you end up with a gang that is much more uniquely yours after a few games, instead of a carbon copy of everyone else playing the same faction. This does enhance the role playing feel.

I also find it weird that people want to decry the randomness in GW games, but admit that poker is a good game. While the better players will win money eventually in poker, the luck involved can be absolutely brutal. One of the toughest skills for a poker player to master is avoiding tilt, dealing with the psychological impact of losing badly to a worse player because he got lucky. It's not unusual for professional poker players to go on downswings where they lose money steadily for weeks, even if they're playing well.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Can't we just agree that we have a terrible hobby?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Xlorp posted:

Can't we just agree that we have a terrible hobby?

Nah that's too easy, lemme explain it to you in my six-part dissertation as to why this hobby is so bad.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Two monks were returning to the monastery in the evening. It had rained and there were puddles of water on the road sides. At one place a beautiful young woman was standing unable to walk across because of a puddle of water. The elder of the two monks went up to a her lifted her and left her on the other side of the road, and continued his way to the monastery.

In the evening the younger monk came to the elder monk and asked; “Sir, as monks, we cannot touch a woman?”

The elder monk answered; "Yes, brother”.

Then the younger monk asks again; “But then Sir, how is that you lifted that woman on the roadside?”

The elder monk smiled at him and told him; ”I left her on the other side of the road, but you are still carrying her.”

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Arrion posted:

Blood Bowl is very good in part because the randomness captures the feel of a sporting event. The main skill in the game is trying to reduce how many rolls you need to make/how lucky you need to get, and maximize how many rolls your opponent needs to. But when someone tries a ridiculous low percentage play and pulls it off, it feels much like the fluky plays that occur in real life sports. The full court buzzer beater in basketball, the hail mary pass, etc. People try these in actual sports because they do occasionally work, and the game reflects that.

I agree with this. Blood Bowl really is about knowing when and when not to take a risk and how to stack odds in your favor. It also doesn't use the standard roll to hit roll to wound roll armor saves mechanic that every other GW game uses. Funny how that works. There's a large amount of randomness, but at least it feels thematic.

quote:

I haven't played Necromunda in ages, but I also liked the randomness in gang progression. It forces you to work with what you get, instead of just going for what you think is the "best" build. Because of the randomness you end up with a gang that is much more uniquely yours after a few games, instead of a carbon copy of everyone else playing the same faction. This does enhance the role playing feel.

This I don't agree with. Sure, the gang is uniquely yours, but only in that the gang is unique and is unlikely to ever be rolled in that way again. The progress is way too arbitrary though. The way your characters grow and develop has nothing at all to do with how you played the game. Getting an increased (WS), (S), or (I) on my Heavy doesn't reward my intelligent use of him in battle. It's either wasted progression or I have to re-equip him to take advantage of his new ability, and even then he may never actually be as good at close combat as a character who is designed for it.

quote:

I also find it weird that people want to decry the randomness in GW games, but admit that poker is a good game. While the better players will win money eventually in poker, the luck involved can be absolutely brutal. One of the toughest skills for a poker player to master is avoiding tilt, dealing with the psychological impact of losing badly to a worse player because he got lucky. It's not unusual for professional poker players to go on downswings where they lose money steadily for weeks, even if they're playing well.

I can't believe people still don't see the difference here. In poker, you never make a decision and then are faced with a completely random outcome that is independent of all other random events prior to it. The most random occurrence is when you go all in pre-flop and have to face five unknown cards in a row. However, even that can be an informed decision based on what cards you have and how your opponents responded to your betting. And those cards aren't completely random. They are dependent on what cards have already been dealt, even if you don't have direct access to that knowledge. The draw is still directly affected by prior events. The only time you would ever be facing the kind of randomness you do in a GW game is if you went all in pre-deal.

Also, I don't see how poker players going on skids even when playing well is different than athletes in any other sport going on skids while still nominally making the right decisions in every game. Sports and sports psychology are complicated things, but saying that poker is somehow unique in this regard because of the nature of luck is silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Hollismason posted:

I encourage anyone to play Warhammer Quest. I still love that game. Of course it hasn't been out for like 14 years or something ,but still it's awesome.

Psst: IOS:

PS Someone sell me Advanced Heroquest for like 45 US shipped TIA.

Oh yeah. This is the best 100 dollars in hobby wargames:

If you want a taste:

:metal:

Oh yeah. Also unsure if Muffet's post is funny or one of the worst goddamned posts on SA. Must investigate further hurm.

(By investigate further put together tons of Hordes Trollymans for next week and forget the stupid post and the third or so of it I tried to actually read before I skimmed it.)

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jul 31, 2014

• Locked thread