Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Be your own bike path!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Zeroisanumber posted:

I remember hearing that they listed their influences as militaristic totalitarian imagery, and disco.

"Laibach are fascists as much as Hitler was a painter"

Although I could see some confusion on the subject if you weren't in on the joke, but the best jokes are usually that way

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Goongrats on briefly defacing Wikipedia I guess?

Someone restored it already

US & Canada launched a joint attack from different directions. Japan had already evacuated, but left mines behind. Both forces started shooting, thinking the other was the enemy. Between that and the mines you got the dead and wounded

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Moscow stock footage 1960-1966

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1itoSrHesI

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BZl8ScVYvA

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Laibach are pretty well the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4VMDxSyLAU

Their Let It Be album, which is a cover of, well, Let It Be, is fantastic.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
For an actual picture, here's something the Ukrainian army recovered from a formerly separatist-held area:

:laugh:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Zd1c4QDIs

Erbil Kurds seem to be taking this whole "being in Iraq" thing in good spirits.

"we takin over ..."

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Here's a picture of Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne, "in my flat, off his trolley" according to former dominatrix Natalie Rowe, who has been arrested today for what I'm sure are unrelated reasons https://twitter.com/RealNatalieRowe

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
He's responsible for this btw

#BetterTogether

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Good job, Gideon

Australian Broadcasting Company posted:

NATALIE ROWE: I mean it's been said in the newspapers that he was at university. He wasn't. At the time he was working for William Hague. I remember that vividly because he called William Hague insipid and I didn't know what the word meant. I do now. So he definitely was in government by then but I think he was getting more and more of a high profile.

So there was definitely, there was cocaine on that night on the table. George Osborne did take cocaine on that night. And not just on that night. He took it on a regular basis with me, with his friends.

There were more witnesses, not just me, that witnessed George Osborne taking cocaine. So it's you know, there are other people out there that know the truth.

On that particular night he had taken a line. And I said to George jokingly that when you're prime minister one day I'll have all the dirty goods on you. And he laughed and took a big fat line of cocaine.
http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2011/s3315998.htm

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDL4Bs3NbB0

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.

This is amazing, though I'm confused by Michelle Obama and one of the Obama daughters at the swearing in while Condoleezza Rice and Dick Cheney are at the press conference. Maybe that's just how the Monster administration rolls.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Houston Chronicle posted:

SAN ANTONIO - Militia groups along the Texas border have grown to more than 10 active "teams" from El Paso to the Rio Grande Valley, despite warnings from U.S. Customs and Border Protection and state lawmakers.

More than 30 photos showing dozens of members carrying semiautomatic rifles and wearing masks, camouflage and tactical gear obtained by the San Antonio Express-News provide a first glimpse of the militias. The armed individuals are seen posing at campsites, walking along the Rio Grande River, speaking with Border Patrol agents and pointing rifles and pistols out of frame.

A spokesperson for the group provided the photos under the condition that members' faces be blurred because of fear of being identified by "cartel and gang members."

More

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

1. Glad to see that Call of Duty style masks are marketable.

2. Is that a flag that the US has ever had? Seems, if you're a hypernationalist, you wouldn't modify the flag for your dumb militia.

(The US flag if Puerto Rico was admitted as the 51st state.)

Fidel Castronaut fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 30, 2014

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Fidel Castronaut posted:

2. Is that a flag that the US has ever had? Seems, if you're a hypernationalist, you wouldn't modify the flag for your dumb militia.

I think it means the third american revolution, with the Civil War being the 2nd.

I was wrong but in my defense the truth is even dumber.

Obdicut fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 30, 2014

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Fidel Castronaut posted:

That flag is the emblem of the Three Percenters, who are the militia arm of the Oath Keepers, a far-right nationalist organization that believe it is their sworn duty to protect the Constitution from the government. The name comes from an unsubstantiated statistic that only 3% of the colonial population physically took up arms against the British. This is their flag:

The mask is a video game mask, but I can't place it offhand.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The Enclave over there aside, I'd be fine with switching back to the "Betsy Ross" design. Easier than redesigning it every time we add a state.

FLAGCHAT BEGINS

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Dude on the right went through all that trouble to get his video game mask to be "anonymous," and forgot to cover his stupid tattoos.

The only flag to stick around from colonial times. Thankfully, because we have some really ugly state flags. A bunch of them have the state name on them, which is just lame.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

Goongrats on briefly defacing Wikipedia I guess?

Someone restored it already

US & Canada launched a joint attack from different directions. Japan had already evacuated, but left mines behind. Both forces started shooting, thinking the other was the enemy. Between that and the mines you got the dead and wounded

I just posted it because I saw it and thought it was funny :shrug:

Gaza's only power plant is burning in the background of this picture

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Between the militia groups massing on the border in order to shoot immigrant children and the IDF's misadventures in Gaza, this is turning out to be a great for year for those who've got put options on children in general.+

Radbot fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 30, 2014

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Notorious QIG posted:

The mask is a video game mask, but I can't place it offhand.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Dude on the right went through all that trouble to get his video game mask to be "anonymous," and forgot to cover his stupid tattoos.

The only flag to stick around from colonial times. Thankfully, because we have some really ugly state flags. A bunch of them have the state name on them, which is just lame.

:colbert:

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

One of my kids is in DC sightseeing and he just texted me with advice to google "anonomobile"

More info conveniently available from anonomobile.com

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Fidel Castronaut posted:

:politicalpuertoricoflagchat:

First variant of the Puerto RIco flag, Modeled after the Cuba flag and made in 1892 for the "Intentona de Yauco" one of our many failed revolutions. Outlawed until 1952 when...

Luis Muñoz Marin, first civilian governor of Puerto Rico implemented this flag as the official flag of Puerto Rico. The change to a darker blue color was not well received among the nationalist of the time, quoting that out flag was desecrated by adopting the colors of the imperialists.

Then in 1995 we got out current flag, kinda a compromise between the first two. Also there is no guideline of what shade of blue the Puerto Rican flag SHOULD be, so you will see all three colors flying around in Puerto Rico. And sometimes they fly specific flags as a Political Statement.

My favorite? The light blue one, not because I would like to see an independent Puerto Rico but because the blue reminds me of Puerto Rico's skies.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Huh, somebody recoloured the pig's neck from Israeli colours but added a star of David?

Tommorow's Guardian

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Oh, those loving Canadians again! When will they learn to just mind their own business!?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Please tell me that the Canadian head is in fact a beaver skull.

Chicken for France is a little on-the-nose, as well.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

I'm enjoying that someone just slapped a...Bulgarian(?) flag over the very noticeably Chinese warrior. Seems a bit random.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

Bulgaria will be great once again :cryingbulgaria:

ElMaligno posted:

:politicalpuertoricoflagchat:

First variant of the Puerto RIco flag, Modeled after the Cuba flag and made in 1892 for the "Intentona de Yauco" one of our many failed revolutions. Outlawed until 1952 when...

Luis Muñoz Marin, first civilian governor of Puerto Rico implemented this flag as the official flag of Puerto Rico. The change to a darker blue color was not well received among the nationalist of the time, quoting that out flag was desecrated by adopting the colors of the imperialists.

Then in 1995 we got out current flag, kinda a compromise between the first two. Also there is no guideline of what shade of blue the Puerto Rican flag SHOULD be, so you will see all three colors flying around in Puerto Rico. And sometimes they fly specific flags as a Political Statement.

My favorite? The light blue one, not because I would like to see an independent Puerto Rico but because the blue reminds me of Puerto Rico's skies.

Dangit, I wanted to do this. Well, I'll go ahead and talk about even more political Puerto Rican flags, since it's Cool and Interesting and Relatively Unknown.

First on the lineup, we have the flag of the Partido Popular Democrático (Popular Democratic Party, aka the Populares), which currently holds the governorship of the island (under Alejandro García Padilla) and was founded in the 1940s by the aforementioned Luis Muñoz Marín. LMM is essentially the big cheese of Puerto Rican politics; not only is the PPD one of the two biggest parties on the island (the other one, the PNP/NPP, will come up next) and the first elected governor (prior to him, they were appointed by the US government) but he also was one of the driving forces behind two of the major socioeconomic trends of the 20th century: industrialization and emigration. When he came into power in the late 1940s, PR still had a very agrarian economy based on crops like sugar and coffee, among others. He initiated the industrialization plan (called Manos a la obra in Spanish and Operation Bootstrap in English), which led to corresponding urbanization in a relatively short amount of time. This in turn led to a spike in social problems associated with urbanization--drug use, alcoholism, prostitution, etc--so the government then began encouraging Puerto Ricans to move out of the island to urban centers in the mainland US--most famously New York City. Anyways, LMM first came into power on a populist platform appealing to the local poor rural class (colloquialy known as the jíbaros) and the party flag reflects that legacy:

Pan, Tierra, Libertad is Spanish for Bread, Land, Freedom, by the way.

OK, second is the other major party in modern Puerto Rican politics, known as the Partido Nuevo Progresista (PNP, known in English as the New Progressive Party). Puerto Rico's status with regards to the US is the major defining issue for all the political parties, and the NPP carries the banner of the pro-statehood movement. Founded in the 1960s by Luis A Ferré, I honestly don't have much to say about them, but in terms of other political stances I'd put them at somewhere between the Republicans and the Democrats, leaning in favor of the Republicans. The last governor, Luis Fortuño, belonged to this party, so if you feel like looking up how their policies translate into action, he's probably your best bet for a recent example. In any case, whereas the Populares use the jíbaro as their symbol, the NPP has on their flag a palm tree, symbolizing stability and strength even in the powerful winds of a hurricane (as told to me by my very pro-NPP friend):

The words around the palm tree translate to "Statehood, Security, Progress"

Last of the three main parties is the Partido Independentista Puertorriqueño (PIP; Puerto Rican Independentist Party). Like the PDP, it was formed in the 1940s, by Gilberto Concepción de Gracia. The name ought to clue you in on what their stance is regarding the status issue: independence for the island. Of course, this goal is itself open to different questions: how soon should independence happen? Would violence be permissible in attaining this goal--as violence had been used for nationalistic purposes in the past and would be used again in the future? In any case, their political influence in the ballot-box is not very great (they haven't broken 7% of the vote in gubernatorial elections in a long. long time) but outside of elections they still hold some decent sway: one of their greatest recent triumphs was getting the US military to abandon its training sites on the island of Vieques. As far as flagchat goes, this is probably my favorite one because it's not just the party seal with some words on a white background:

The design itself is a reference to the first flag ever used to symbolize Puerto Rico: the flag of Lares, site of a rebellion against Spanish rule in 1868:

Interestingly, while the modern Puerto Rican flag is a reference to the Cuban flag (since at the time the two were presented as sisters in revlution--one Puerto Rican poem puts Cuba and PR as two wings of the same bird), the Lares flag is a reference to the flag of the Dominican Republic. I guess all us Spanish Caribbean nations love being bros to each other :buddy:

There's a few other parties that fade in and out with elections, and IMO will not be breaking into major league politics anytime soon, as the two big parties routinely take home 45+% of the vote each. I might do another post about the smaller factions that are also famous in Puerto Rican history (such as the Nationalists, the Macheteros, and so on) but first I'd need to dust off some old books since most of what I'm going off is stuff I learned way back in high school.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kenny Logins posted:

Chicken for France is a little on-the-nose, as well.
The Gallic rooster is a traditional symbol of the French nation.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Poland's national anthem is "Poland is not yet lost".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQTq07gihqg

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

And anyone who thinks that's in any way funny has never met a rooster. They will loving murder you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5nigZzgf4Y

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
oh wow look its flags how interesting

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

oh wow look its flags how interesting

Oh my g-d.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI3IHahHQIg