Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

natetimm posted:

The moves he knew looked good, but he didn't exactly have a huge bag of tricks to pull from. He was very Kevin Nash when it came to what he could pull off to the point when he actually did a new move, the commentators would go apeshit over it.

Again, how does this matter? WCW Champions post-Goldberg's one reign included Kevin Nash, Hollywood Hogan, the rotting corpse of Randy Savage, Sid, lazy as gently caress Sting, a broken-down Scott Steiner, Vince Russo, and David Arquette.

Clearly all of these men were known for excellent workrate post-1999.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

natetimm posted:

I must not remember that because every one of his matches I remember was brawling, samoan drop, superkick, spear, jackhammer.

EDIT: Also work a powerslam variant in there somewhere.

Early on he was doing dropkicks and some top rope moves too, and he would do a rolling kneebar as well as some other MMA esque spots for several months.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

MassRafTer posted:

Early on he was doing dropkicks and some top rope moves too, and he would do a rolling kneebar as well as some other MMA esque spots for several months.

Maybe the problem is it was 15 years ago and I probably saw at least 15 squash matches he was in. Didn't I read somewhere that he was also stand-offish in the locker room as well? Or was that his WWE run?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

natetimm posted:

Maybe the problem is it was 15 years ago and I probably saw at least 15 squash matches he was in. Didn't I read somewhere that he was also stand-offish in the locker room as well? Or was that his WWE run?

The problem was more that as time went on you go with what is over and Hogan and company got in his ear so there wasn't going to be a lot of evolution. He was capable of doing some really athletic stuff though. His reputation is weird, some people see him that way, some think he was a great guy. Well, I think most people think he's a great guy he was just sometimes hard to deal with in wrestling? Wrestlers also got really mad at his WWE contract too.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

MassRafTer posted:

The problem was more that as time went on you go with what is over and Hogan and company got in his ear so there wasn't going to be a lot of evolution. He was capable of doing some really athletic stuff though. His reputation is weird, some people see him that way, some think he was a great guy. Well, I think most people think he's a great guy he was just sometimes hard to deal with in wrestling? Wrestlers also got really mad at his WWE contract too.

I think I've read an interview with maybe the Rock where he said he could kind of understand Goldberg's attitude backstage considering his WCW days and that they eventually cleared the air between them after enough time. I could totally see only looking out for yourself after going through the drama parade of backstabbing that was WCW booking.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I remember him doing dragon screws for a while, and once--pretty early in his run--he busted out a pumphandle suplex. So, dude had some moves. But like others have said, he was encouraged not to use them.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

He had an early gimmick that was built around each week him learning a new move. put over by the announcers as to get over that this was a freak of nature who still wasn't the finished product but was still steam rolling these guys. And then obviously Nash and Hogan got in his ears.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Who came out of the Power Plant and wasn't dangerous garbage other than Big Show and Goldberg?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Luigi Thirty posted:

Who came out of the Power Plant and wasn't dangerous garbage other than Big Show and Goldberg?

(Some of) The Natural Born Thrillaz.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Skinty McEdger posted:

He had an early gimmick that was built around each week him learning a new move. put over by the announcers as to get over that this was a freak of nature who still wasn't the finished product but was still steam rolling these guys. And then obviously Nash and Hogan got in his ears.

He was probably better for it, no one liked Goldberg because he did a kneebar or mastered all the different ways there are to destroy your own knees in the ring.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

He was probably better for it, no one liked Goldberg because he did a kneebar or mastered all the different ways there are to destroy your own knees in the ring.

I always thought the submission stuff he busted out was really cool. It obviously didn't hurt him to not make it a big part of his game, but early on stuff like that made you think there was a lot to this guy.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I did. :-(

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I remember hearing that Goldberg was influenced to sell less and do less by Hogan and Nash. Dave ever talk about that in WON?

They talk about it in one of the Legends of Wrestling roundtables (It's a pretty great episode all about who has heat backstage). It's quite funny because they dance around it until Hayes just comes out with it "Just say what you mean, it was Hall, Nash and Hogan getting in his ear". They agree that Goldberg was a nice guy who didn't care that much for Wrestling and was too easily influenced by the others.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

LoboLoboLobo posted:

I remember "The Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels coming in to late WCW and me as a middle school kid being real hype for him because the internet was blowing up about how good of a wrestler he was. Did he have anything in WCW that was worth tracking down to watch?

IIRC he had a match where he won a WCW contract on Nitro that was half decent, but he got injured in that match and was on the shelf until WCW folded, so he only actually wrestled once on TV.

Here it is: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5yl35_christopher-daniels-vs-michael-mode_sport

He gets hurt when he botches the moonsault and lands on his head.

*Edit* It's really weird watching it now. It's like a proto x-division with all the botches and non-lucha flippy-doos. It feels different than a standard WCW cruiserweight match for some reason.

*Edit again* Hooooly poo poo. I totally forgot about the finish.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 31, 2014

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

Big Show just got some fine tuning in the Power Plant, he was trained by the Monster Factory.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

natetimm posted:

Wasn't he limited in talent/ability? Everyone loves his DDP match but DDP is also known for pre-planning his matches. Goldberg was really only a 3 or 4 spot guy, right?
I never thought his issue was that he couldn't do different spots, but that he didn't have the basics down. Timing, distancing, etc.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

natetimm posted:

I must not remember that because every one of his matches I remember was brawling, samoan drop, superkick, spear, jackhammer.

EDIT: Also work a powerslam variant in there somewhere.

he did a rolling knee bar, which was cool as hell for 90s american wrestling

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
also some kind of spinning kick or wheel kick or something

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You mean his spinning thigh attack?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Halloween Jack posted:

He also steps on his stomach afterwards. That's called chain wrestling.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'd argue Goldberg was dangerous garbage at times, considering he concussed Bret Hart so bad that it lead to his retirement and also knocked himself out on at least one occasion haha.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

triplexpac posted:

I'd argue Goldberg was dangerous garbage at times, considering he concussed Bret Hart so bad that it lead to his retirement and also knocked himself out on at least one occasion haha.

He also jobbed to a car window.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Goldberg had at least 3 times as many moves as Roman Reigns does.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Halloween Jack posted:

Man, if that spot wasn't botched it would have been cool as gently caress.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Pope Corky the IX posted:

He also jobbed to a car window.
The car window was in danger of no-selling his offence. Unfortunately, he took matters into his own hands...

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRafTer posted:

The interviews Goldberg's done seem to indicate that he has an extremely low bullshit tolerance coupled with a very narrow view of what he wanted out of the business.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
This reminds me of when I was younger and spent my time online at the wrestleZone chat rooms, and the metric people would use for how good a wrestler was was the number of moves a wrestler did. Blue Meanie was considered better than StoneCold, as Meanie could do a moonsault.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I'd forgotten about that Daniels/Modest match. Wonder what ever happened to Michael Modest.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DoctorDelaware posted:

I'd forgotten about that Daniels/Modest match. Wonder what ever happened to Michael Modest.

He's a trainer for a wrestling school in Vegas last I checked when I asked the same question.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I've heard a few people talk about how big of a deal it was to them that Goldberg wasn't just a badass wrestler they could look up to as a kid, but a badass Jewish wrestler they could look up to with their real Jewish last name that wasn't a stereotype. Did anyone make a big deal out of that back in the late '90s?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Modest looked like a beast in that match. Well, up until Steiner killed him.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Luigi Thirty posted:

I've heard a few people talk about how big of a deal it was to them that Goldberg wasn't just a badass wrestler they could look up to as a kid, but a badass Jewish wrestler they could look up to with their real Jewish last name that wasn't a stereotype. Did anyone make a big deal out of that back in the late '90s?
Barry Horowitz.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The company never seemed to really push his heritage/religion during Nitros but there was a documentary about him that I believed aired on one of the Turner stations that definitely focused on it.

My dad generally hated wrestling but I remember him occasionally watching Goldberg segments and we watched the documentary together because he thought it was cool that there was a Jewish wrestler pushed as an unstoppable badass.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Perigryn posted:

Barry Horowitz.

Looked like this at one point and didn't win 170 matches in a row or have the world's largest traps :colbert:

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 31, 2014

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I was going to say that between Goldberg, Horowitz and Raven, Jewish people surprisingly got off without any glaring stereotype gimmicks. You'd expect a dancing rabbi or Heime the Jew Ninja or something.

Also I just remembered Scotty Goldman, so whoops, there goes that idea.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Other Jewish wrestlers, according with Wikipedia:

-Randy Savage
-Marc Mero
-Matt Bloom (Albert/Tensai)
-Dean Malenko
-Madusa
-Billy Kidman
-The Nasty Boys
-Kelly Kelly

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You mean Ninjew, you anti-Semite.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Luigi Thirty posted:

I can't remember what show he turned up on but he spun the dradle in a yamakah and looked really happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
The Man Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBViaeEpX_A