Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Chill la Chill posted:

those awful BDSM nuns.

Hey now. That is powerarmor, ok. Have you seen the infinity/malifaux/warmahordes stuff? I'll grant you the murder cultists ladies are hosed up, but the Sisters of Battle are awesome. Even their boob armor is tasteful! No pointless exposed midriffs. Some of them even have helmets. And the helmets don't have hair portals!

I won't have it sir! GW is in touch with the modern feminist movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
In the Segmentum Pacificus sector, gigantic Tyranids of a size and power never before seen have begun surprise attacks from deep beneath the oceans against the planets hive cities!

The only force standing in their way is a unique, colourful and eccentric Titan Legion; each Titan features a unique exotic design and each Titan hails from a different famous world of the Imperium of Man!

Something something something...

GALACTIC RIM!

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

"Look mate, you gotta have someone drive it, but you sure you don't want them to sit behind the armour? I mean, no skin off my nose either way, I just reckon that a sorta power armour type job might work best with them... No, no, of course, you're the boss, up front it is. Now, it'll take a few minutes to turn up the hood so they can see where they're heading, then I'll ju... You don't want the hood sorted? Um, you sure, guv? It's just, I saw this film about some Aliens, and figured you were talking about... No, no, of course not boss! poo poo, I didn't mean..." :commissar:

e:

"Holidays? Naww, we don't get those anymore. Anyway, I was thinking I'd like something fairly natural today, just a trim, but I'm thinking a bit of dye wouldn't hurt. Nothing extreme, but I heard auburn is in this season?" :commissar:

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 31, 2014

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

This I don't agree with. Sure, the gang is uniquely yours, but only in that the gang is unique and is unlikely to ever be rolled in that way again. The progress is way too arbitrary though. The way your characters grow and develop has nothing at all to do with how you played the game. Getting an increased (WS), (S), or (I) on my Heavy doesn't reward my intelligent use of him in battle. It's either wasted progression or I have to re-equip him to take advantage of his new ability, and even then he may never actually be as good at close combat as a character who is designed for it.

I'm in the middle here - the randomness does make for some amazing unique builds that would never be considered "optimal" but might come out ridiculous in the end. For example, the last time I played Mordheim (years and years ago) I played pirates and wound up with a captain who could cast one spell, a magic sword that gave him an extra attack, and then he took a head wound and wound up with a chance to frenzy whenever he dealt/was dealt a wound, then he lost a hand and had it replaced with a hook (knife off hand) then his characteristics went up in HtH. So the captain, which is normally a leader type figure who fires a couple rounds and wades in wound up with as many HtH attacks a ratling with smart tale and wound up almost single handedly decimating the stupid Skaven team that no one else in our league could touch (well, I had a first mate that was all climb and crossbows).

It was a completely unusual build that I wouldn't have chosen to do in, well, ever and it wound up strong enough to be spectacular and was fun to play.

OTOH, I get what you're saying about it being too random - characters designed entirely for range getting HtH skill upgrades are pretty pointless, and many of the skill upgrades aren't really functional for all character types. But it's not like there are other skirmish games that do level up and advancement, either. It would be nice if someone took the concept and made it work better, like rolling a primary combat stat upgrade rather than one particular skill, or each class having its own list of possible rolled upgrades instead of one generic list for everyone.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

petrol blue posted:

"Look mate, you gotta have someone drive it, but you sure you don't want them to sit behind the armour? I mean, no skin off my nose either way, I just reckon that a sorta power armour type job might work best with them... No, no, of course, you're the boss, up front it is. Now, it'll take a few minutes to turn up the hood so they can see where they're heading, then I'll ju... You don't want the hood sorted? Um, you sure, guv? It's just, I saw this film about some Aliens, and figured you were talking about... No, no, of course not boss! poo poo, I didn't mean..." :commissar:

To be fair, the entire point of that stupid thing is for the user to suffer and die, so I'd say it's pretty great for that.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
e: Is it cannon that all the Sororitas have the same head, or just lazy modelling?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

petrol blue posted:

e: Is it cannon that all the Sororitas have the same head, or just lazy modelling?

Lazy modeling.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.focushome.bloodbowlandroid

If you've not played the BB adaptation: through three new versions (not dlc; entirely 'new' games), Blood Bowl now has all but a couple of the basic teams listed in the free rules. With game-crashing bugs now down to single digits per match, you too can buy (e: two teams from) the first iteration all over again for your tablet.

(If you were dumb enough to buy Dungeon Bowl, you got exactly what you expected.)

e: I love that the broken AI is now sold as 'single-player that won't make your head hurt'.

petrol blue fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 31, 2014

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

petrol blue posted:

It's canon that they have a subscription to the same fashion magazines and they all go to the same Admech styliacanist.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers
"And then the entire company showed up with the same hairdo! I mean, when I stepped out of the drop pod, I could have just died, y'know? Last time I'm ever going to a campaign in the Skulltormentum system!"

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

petrol blue posted:

"And then the entire company showed up with the same hairdo! I mean, when I stepped out of the drop pod, I could have just died, y'know? Last time I'm ever going to a campaign in the Skulltormentum system!"

"Sister Celestine, I've noticed that you prefer your hair close cropped, rather than shoulder length, with a perm, and bangs. Also you haven't bleached your hair white."
"Uh... yes Sister Klamydion, I just thought, well, it's more time on the firing range where I can practice setting things on fire in the name of the Emperor..."
"Oh of course dear. Of course. Please put on this helmet."

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Whenever I see a Sister of Battle, I immediately think "Lady Gaga".

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

Whenever I see a Sister of Battle, I immediately think "Lady Gaga".

Are you suggesting that the Sisters of Battle and the Emperor are caught in a bad romance?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I think he's saying they're the same DNA, but born this way.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Are you suggesting that the Sisters of Battle and the Emperor are caught in a bad romance?

I'm saying the Grey Knights left their heads and their hearts on the dance floor along with their bones.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
LOUD NOISES

Anyway, I have a strong psychic belief that Games Workshop will come to an end on June 27, 2015.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Huh. They promoted a guy from middle management to head the project to reduce costs and integrate all the european and us offices back into Nottingham. Now he's been made redundant too. Bit harsh that. He was also the guy in charge of the UK Gamesday so theres that.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Making redundant the guy you put in charge of cost slashing via making everyone else redundant seems exceedingly corporate to me.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

NTRabbit posted:

Making redundant the guy you put in charge of cost slashing via making everyone else redundant seems exceedingly corporate to me

Well I guess he really didn't have a job anymore....

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

NTRabbit posted:

Making redundant the guy you put in charge of cost slashing via making everyone else redundant seems exceedingly corporate to me.

It's not even a new "joke." Like, it's the sort of thing you see as a Dilbert punchline. I don't know if it's ever actually been a Dilbert punchline but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

What I'm saying is, let's start up a webcomic about GW headquarters, with TCM as the writer.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
PANEL 1:

[Setting: Artists area somewhere in GW]
Writer 1: I'm having trouble understanding the idea behind Tzeentch. Is he like. A guy? Or...
Writer 2: He's the one with the birds, right? He likes birds?

PANEL 2:
[JOHN MOTHER loving BLANCHE APPEARS WITH A CLAP OF THUNDER]
John Blanch M.F.: The Changer of ways is a deceiver. Always he weaves plans within plans. His greatest weakness is that within the degenerate spiral of his myriad lies, even he does not know what is truth.

PANEL 3:
[Setting: Office, guy is writing something at a big desk]
Guy in Suit (thought bubble): Our crops will wither, our children will die piteous
deaths and the sun will be swept from the sky. But is it true?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
What a poo poo thing to do to someone.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

serious gaylord posted:

Well I guess he really didn't have a job anymore....

There was the upcoming "Warhammer Fest" but maybe they just don't give a poo poo about having someone to run that, either.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Sydney Bottocks posted:

There was the upcoming "Warhammer Fest" but maybe they just don't give a poo poo about having someone to run that, either.

Contracting a small event management firm for a week is cheaper than putting someone on full time.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Hollismason posted:

What a poo poo thing to do to someone.
GW has not quite plumbed the Brechtian depths of their profitable little Passion Play.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

Contracting a small event management firm for a week is cheaper than putting someone on full time.

Well, a company with a good-faith interest in building and sustaining a community around their game(s) would be better able to have someone on it full-time, because they'd be doing it full-time.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

JerryLee posted:

Well, a company with a good-faith interest in building and sustaining a community around their game(s) would be better able to have someone on it full-time, because they'd be doing it full-time.

they literally changed the name of it so that people wouldn't think that games would be involved

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Lot of Necromunda chat going on earlier in the thread, I figure I'd come here to ask: Have any of the new skirmish level games had the persistent injury/death mechanic across a league like Necromunda had? That was honestly my favorite part about both that and Blood Bowl and would want to play it more if it wasn't stuck in 40k 2ed rules for combat.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
The new skirmish game Deadzone has a roster of troops who can gain experience, learn new skills, suffer permanent injures and even die. You can replace your losses with fresh recruits who suffer penalties in their first match due to their inexperience.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Regarding competition to GW in both the skirmish miniature game section and in the "here's a large box with everything you need that you can give away for a birthday present" section, Infinity finally decided to drop an actual starter set:

http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2014/07/31/92240/

And this is why I think that the steady decline in sales for GW is more dangerous now than any time before, as there has never before been so much competition in the miniatures game market. There has been competition before, but GW has had very strong cards up their sleeves, such as their superior plastic products back when their competitors where struggling with resin or metal for their big kits (see Warzone and the late 90's-mid 00's competitors). In 2004, their plastic kits were actually the premium plastic kits in the wargaming miniatures (not talking about Gundam or whatevers) market.

One thing that has been obvious the last years is that plastic miniatures have become far more viable for smaller companies. It used to be that pretty much only GW could afford the investment in making the molds for plastic production, which gave them a huge advantage and separated them from the rest of the market. But now that the required investment is smaller, you're seeing smaller companies removing a large part of GW's head start. This has had an immense effect on the historical gaming market, as there were almost no plastic options available for 28mm scale just a few years ago, and now there are plenty of companies that are releasing miniatures that are closing in on or succeeding what has been perceived as the "unmatched GW plastic quality", or whatever you'd call it.

Every year there are more options for cheaper plastic alternatives for wargamers, and every year that GW doesn't acknowledge this they'll lose more and more sales. Take me, for example. I'm an ex-warhammer gamer that is being re-introduced to the game by some friends. When I look at the options, the GW quality simply doesn't make me believe that it is worth the extra cost, especially for basic troops. Guess what the largest investment for a WHFB army is? Basic troops. So if I decide to buy 90% of my army from Mantic or Perry Miniatures or Victrix, and then just 1-3 kits from GW for those very special units, that's a hell of a large part of my spending that is not ending up in GW's pocket.

10 years ago, my options were expensive and often not that great metal miniatures or GW plastic miniatures. Now it is expensive GW plastic miniatures, or much cheaper (and sometimes even just as good) non-GW plastics. This make the last couple of years hard to compare to previous GW slumps IMHO.

For me it is insane for GW to talk about 3D printing as a future threat, when I'm ityool 2014 am planning an army list and compare a box of 10 GW state trooper infantry for £15 to a box of 40 Perry Miniatures WotR infantry for £20, when a unit can easily be 50-60 men. Guess which kit has the better looking miniatures? What is the premium I'm paying for here?

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 1, 2014

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?

lilljonas posted:

What is the premium I'm paying for here?

quote:

the small, jewel like objects of magic and wonder we call citadel miniatures
Sheesh, pay attention man.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

lilljonas posted:

Regarding competition to GW in both the skirmish miniature game section and in the "here's a large box with everything you need that you can give away for a birthday present" section, Infinity finally decided to drop an actual starter set:

http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2014/07/31/92240/

Ooo this might actually get me into Infinity.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Moola posted:

Ooo this might actually get me into Infinity.

3rd edition drops this fall and the changes they've announced so far during their public relations campaign have been really sensible and honed at streamlining and simplifying the game in all the right places.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

It's a good thing I basically don't know of any local infinity scene because I do not need to start on a 5th or 6th game/line of miniatures

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

JerryLee posted:

It's a good thing I basically don't know of any local infinity scene because I do not need to start on a 5th or 6th game/line of miniatures

So dump GW and get down to 3 or 4. I mean, look at this clownshow.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Fix posted:

eh, there's basically a 0% chance I'll stop wanting to model and paint evil space egyptians and I might as well occasionally play them when I can find someone who's cool.

Hopefully soon I'll be able to score a reasonably priced 7E mini, they're out on ebay now but apparently more resellers have to crack open Dark Vengeance boxes before it moves down from $45+ BINs.

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!
I had a game with a buddy of mine tonight and he brought up a topic I found interesting; what would happen if GW actually did tank, stopped producing miniatures, and stopped putting out books, etc.

I've known the guy for almost 20 years and we we've played pretty much every RPG that's ever been made it into mass production: D&D (original) to AD&D, Rifts, Pathfinder, All Flesh Must Be Eaten, G.U.R.P.S., several of the White Wolf games including the Street Fighter RPG (gently caress you, it owns), and we've all had a great time. However, after we moved on, the summary of all of our game-play could be stored in an accordion file and reminisced with good memories.

Those were only small investments compared to the huge amount of money we have both sank into miniatures over the years. When we broke into a new RPG, we basically just bought the core rule books and a couple campaign supplements. With the exception of D&D and Rifts (Just because of the cool, crazy-rear end poo poo in every Rifts book), we've probably never spent more than $150.00 on any one game system.

But to any mini-gamer, your game is an investment of sorts. It's the same syndrome MMORPG players get (Although often less costly and time-consuming) when they consider leaving a game, let's just say WoW as an example. They can't and don't want to make the jump to a new MMO because of all the time and effort they put into their level 90 Mage. To move on and start again would be to undermine all the effort and hard-work you out into your last endeavor. It essentially erases all of that time and work.

Warhammer is extremely cash intensive and once the rule-set is gone, what do you do with all your years of carefully assembled / painted little plastic mans, beside trying to scrape some coin together from Ebay (which other like-minded former players will be trying to do)?

I would probably look to one of the inevitable fill-in games that Mantic or another enterprising company would fire out to try feed off the nutrient-rich corpse of Games Workshop (No disrespect to Mantic, I love using their Not-A-Thunderfire-Cannon), but I would basically be left with a walk-in closet full of 'things' that would never quite fit in any future game I ran or played. It just wouldn't be the same using my Marneus Calgar as a "Space Warrior Combat Lord" or something.

I don't have a specific question, and am more or less just musing for those of us dorks who have spent (more than most wives would want) an ungodly amount of cash in a game that suddenly crumbled and folded, what would we do with the spoils and left-overs of a very specifically themed game that was no longer around?

I could also see myself just play 7E and house-rule the poo poo out of it until it became a beast unto itself that only our gaming group would recognize as once being 40k.

Or I'd finally dust off my Deathwatch books and find any excuse to run loving MASSIVE SQUAD MODE games that made no sense, just to get some remaining mileage out of everything.

"The Sisters of Battle are teaming up with the Orks, and for some reason an Armageddon Steel Legion army, all with veterans armed with melta guns have showed up to aid the Chaos Daemons Flying Circus army!"

*Squad Mode Activated* :getin:

Dump_Stat fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Aug 1, 2014

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I think what we would end up seeing, were GW to theoretically halt production, is what we've seen with Mordheim and Blood Bowl and the like. The community exists, whether because of or in spite of GW's best intentions, and will continue to support the hobby in some form or another. For those of us lucky to be involved in some sort of miniature's gaming group, the games played wax and wane but the love of the hobby exists.

If GW went belly up, the sole difference to what we do at the table would be where we got our information and models. Given the insanity of the Comp system in Fantasy, there's no reason that the community can't keep our tiny little men alive in some form or another. Whether we'd all rally around some successor or each have divergent house rules would be a thing unto itself.

I don't see a scenario in which GW's properties aren't continued in some iteration. I can't imagine that some other company, Hasbro or the like, wouldn't want to jump the corpse of a rabid fan base that has stuck with the company through years of getting swatted with a stick. Were someone to buy the company, reduce pricing through a not-so-pants on head retarded sales operation, and give the hobbyists something to look forward to again instead of Murderking Murderdeath XVII; they'd be tapping into a well of disposable income handled by what amount to victims with stockholm syndrome at the moment.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Fix posted:

Thats what I'm in the procesa of doing. Gonna sell of my emperors children.

Are chaos space marines up for an update or should I just put them up for sale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I love that a "premium miniatures company" packages figures in a plain white cardboard box with a printed label... In an industry largely governed by aesthetics.

Even Reaper's boxed Bones have a picture of what's inside, and that's a bargain line of economy RPG figures. (Which are surprisingly good for the money.)

• Locked thread