Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Huh, only just noticed Wonder Pink has the same hairstyle as Bayonetta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
I think it got mentioned in...episode 6?

Congratulations Chip, you have sold another copy of this game today. I look forward to seeing how this pans out firsthand, and getting my rear end kicked like whoa.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Well, on the plus side, I helped kill the monster.

On the minus side, I am bleeding profusely from the scalp and I don't remember my name.

That's what I get for going out for lunch in this crazy town. I thought that's why we had the Wonderful OneZeroOne's. So WE didn't have to fight....

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

JT Jag posted:

I mean you really have to go overboard to get "sexy" across with the art style in this game, and when they try it gets pretty grating.

I think that's the big annoying part of it to me, they could have super easily stuck to the dumb girly girl/cutesy stereotypes for 'pink ranger' types but instead there are rando kinda weird moments when they try SUPER HARD to make a tiny pink lady with an anime head 'hot' and it's just kinda weird.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I think that's the big annoying part of it to me, they could have super easily stuck to the dumb girly girl/cutesy stereotypes for 'pink ranger' types but instead there are rando kinda weird moments when they try SUPER HARD to make a tiny pink lady with an anime head 'hot' and it's just kinda weird.

It's a thing Platinum's always done and it's probably Kamiya being weird, given his track record with shoehorning in 'sexy' ladies.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I respect that kind of gumption.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I got a friend of mine who actually owns a WiiU to buy a copy of this. He was all upset that there weren't any other games that he was sold on for the WiiU, and I pitched W101 to him. We were getting froyo at the time, and he drove us across the street and to Walmart immediately after without saying a word, and we went and bought it.

I was amazed how fun the first level music was, cuz I couldn't hear it in the LP.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

rotinaj posted:

I got a friend of mine who actually owns a WiiU to buy a copy of this. He was all upset that there weren't any other games that he was sold on for the WiiU, and I pitched W101 to him. We were getting froyo at the time, and he drove us across the street and to Walmart immediately after without saying a word, and we went and bought it.

I was amazed how fun the first level music was, cuz I couldn't hear it in the LP.

The first level of this game should be saved and presented in video game design colleges for decades to come as an example of precisely how to do a first level RIGHT.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

BottledBodhisvata posted:

The first level of this game should be saved and presented in video game design colleges for decades to come as an example of precisely how to do a first level RIGHT.

Are we talking about the school bus level or the first bit in Blossom City?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Operation 001 as a whole, surely?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

"Here,Students, is how you do your first level. The only exception is that you should have your dodge and block buttons be unlocked and useable from the start."

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
To go back to discussing the last boss fight for a bit, I think that the reason why this one wasn't quite as over the top as the first one is that this one really exists to set a scale for the game. I don't want to give away too much, but there's a point late in the game where you can look back at how this guy, this one single guy used to be a full-fledged boss fight and you'll get a sense of exactly how ridiculous things have become.

Anyway, name puns for the last two updates:

Nyerk: possibly from "kunyakunya", a mimetic word describing something soft and flexible
Gehdown: the same "Ge"-prefix as in Gedie-Goojin + Hoedown.
Notoriyeah: 乗っ取り屋 (nottoriya), hijacker.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

"Here,Students, is how you do your first level. The only exception is that you should have your dodge and block buttons be unlocked and useable from the start."

Yeah, I don't really get why Platinum games do this. Maybe they want to force you to use the in-game shops for some reason?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Yeah, I don't really get why Platinum games do this. Maybe they want to force you to use the in-game shops for some reason?

Well, the moves and abilities you get in the shops are really important, so I imagine that they want to bring attention to them. Why they don't just say "Hey, look at the shop, it's important" is beyond me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The idea seems to be emphasizing learning the primary techniques and then introducing secondary techniques. Then they give you those techniques are an incredibly low cost and mark them with a "buy this" (in W101) with the assumption you'll, y'know, buy them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A ton of games do the "You can only use moves you've been told to use" thing as a way of easing the player into the game instead of just throwing the whole package at them. Having to buy the block and dodge would be uncouth if they were made full price and it was possible to not make enough money in the first mission to buy it, but they make them very cheap and give you more than enough to get it even if you're kinda crap at the game. Forcing the player to make a purchase is a quick and easy way to introduce the shop mechanic.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Samizdata posted:

Well, on the plus side, I helped kill the monster.

On the minus side, I am bleeding profusely from the scalp and I don't remember my name.

That's what I get for going out for lunch in this crazy town. I thought that's why we had the Wonderful OneZeroOne's. So WE didn't have to fight....

Hey, the civilians who get recruited probably love the job. They get temporary superpowers (which is a lot better than the alternative since half your recruits are in immediate danger when you wonder-liner them), get to make giant objects, and at the end of the mission get dropped off at a lovely Wonderful Mart where they can feel free to buy a Space Eggplant. Then they get to go, I presume into some bunker with the Wonderful Mart and hope not to die again. Overall, it's probably an enjoyable experience.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 31, 2014

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

TwoPair posted:

Hey, the civilians who get recruited probably love the job. They get temporary superpowers (which is a lot better than the alternative since half your recruits are in immediate danger when you wonder-liner) them, get to make giant objects, and at the end of the mission get dropped off at a lovely Wonderful Mart where they can feel free to buy a Space Eggplant. Then they get to go, I presume into some bunker with the Wonderful Mart and hope not to die again. Overall, it's probably an enjoyable experience.

Unless, of course, you're one of the unfortunate souls who gets recruited while the group is at capacity. Then, you get beamed up to the Virgin Victory where you'll be loaded into a missile with 9 other people and fired at the enemy.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

A ton of games do the "You can only use moves you've been told to use" thing as a way of easing the player into the game instead of just throwing the whole package at them. Having to buy the block and dodge would be uncouth if they were made full price and it was possible to not make enough money in the first mission to buy it, but they make them very cheap and give you more than enough to get it even if you're kinda crap at the game. Forcing the player to make a purchase is a quick and easy way to introduce the shop mechanic.
I think it would be fine if they followed through and forced you to make the purchase instead of just costing it low enough you can afford it by the first time you can access the shop and then dusted their hands off, job done.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Tatum Girlparts posted:

seeing how the whole game is a deconstruction and spoof of sentai, the fact wonder pink is nothing at all like any normal pink ranger isn't as weird as it seems.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Fedule posted:

Unless, of course, you're one of the unfortunate souls who gets recruited while the group is at capacity. Then, you get beamed up to the Virgin Victory where you'll be loaded into a missile with 9 other people and fired at the enemy left there forever because the player always forgets those exist.

There was an inaccuracy in your post, I fixed it for you.

Edit: What I want to know is what happens to the people you recruit when you're already at 100 members AND 99 missiles.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Suaimhneas posted:

There was an inaccuracy in your post, I fixed it for you.

Edit: What I want to know is what happens to the people you recruit when you're already at 100 members AND 99 missiles.

They go away.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Fun reminder: The Justice Missiles don't reduce your score like the Fire and Shock Missiles do.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW

cdyoung posted:

seeing how the whole game is a deconstruction and spoof of sentai, the fact wonder pink is nothing at all like any normal pink ranger isn't as weird as it seems.

Spoof, perhaps, but I don't see how it would deconstruct anything.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

cdyoung posted:

It's not a "deconstruction" of Sentai, it's a parody. They aren't deconstructing poo poo.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Lance Streetman posted:

It's not a "deconstruction" of Sentai, it's a parody. They aren't deconstructing poo poo.

In fact, it's a literal "construction" of Sentai.

Not sorry

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Lance Streetman posted:

Yeah, it's poking fun at a lot of Sentai cliches, but it's not doing it in a way that shows why those cliches are wrong or don't hold up to real life, if anything it's taking it in the complete opposite direction and doing that parody by making everything even MORE over-the-top and ridiculous.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bathroomrage posted:

In fact, it's a literal "construction" of Sentai.

Not sorry

Actually, SWMadness explained it perfectly. Just like the trope of deconstruction has been established, there's also the reconstruction. Wonderful 101 is a sort of reconstruction: it looks at the common sentai tropes, makes fun of them, and then uses them as much as possible to create the most awesome game possible.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
There's some poo poo towards the end that might qualify it as a deconstruction, but it's pretty clearly a love letter to everything Kamiya loves--giant dragons, robots, cute girls, sentai and headbutts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There's some poo poo towards the end that might qualify it as a deconstruction, but it's pretty clearly a love letter to everything Kamiya loves--giant dragons, robots, cute girls, sentai and headbutts.

Nah. A lot of the stuff near the end (without going into spoiler territory) is stuff that actually appears in sentai. It's a kids show but it's a Japanese kids show and so it can get pretty hosed up.

Like Power Rangers, the one we got?

In the Japanese version Rita Repulsa is an evil witch who wanted to murder children and intends to do so by summoning Satan. Literally Satan, which involves a ritual sacrificing 10 children to bring forth the dark god who bursts out of the zombie shell of Frankenstein's monster which then has its head explode so Satan can claw its way out from inside of it.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Like every japanese boogeyman is a horrifying piece of poo poo that kills the kid no matter what the kid does.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

ImpAtom posted:

Nah. A lot of the stuff near the end (without going into spoiler territory) is stuff that actually appears in sentai. It's a kids show but it's a Japanese kids show and so it can get pretty hosed up.

Like Power Rangers, the one we got?

In the Japanese version Rita Repulsa is an evil witch who wanted to murder children and intends to do so by summoning Satan. Literally Satan, which involves a ritual sacrificing 10 children to bring forth the dark god who bursts out of the zombie shell of Frankenstein's monster which then has its head explode so Satan can claw its way out from inside of it.

:stare:

Am I understanding this correctly, that you get to see Satan appear because she actually successfully killed 10 kids?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Well gently caress, now I wanna go watch the Japanese version.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SkeletonHero posted:

Am I understanding this correctly, that you get to see Satan appear because she actually successfully killed 10 kids?

She doesn't actually manage to kill the kids but she does in fact summon Satan in a ritual which involves gouging her own eyes out.

I love that stupid loving show. (And it's getting an official English release on DVD later this year!)

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

SkeletonHero posted:

If I remember right, it's a projection of a giant floating head. Really just some middle-aged Japanese guy with white and blue face paint and a spiky wig instead of anything you'd normally associate with Satan. As with all theological problems, it was solved by a giant robot made of dinosaurs shooting it till it exploded.

^^^Edit: Well, shows what I know going by childhood memories of Power Rangers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Geostomp posted:

If I remember right, it's a projection of a giant floating head. Really just some middle-aged Japanese guy with white and blue face paint and a spiky wig instead of anything you'd normally associate with Satan. As with all theological problems, it was solved by a giant robot made of dinosaurs shooting it till it exploded.

^^^Edit: Well, shows what I know going by childhood memories of Power Rangers.

No, no. That's Dai-Satan. Which is better than regular Satan.

Also their robot made out of dinosaurs is God. It even lays the smiting on unbelievers a few times and is a complete old-testament rear end in a top hat.

Stupid, amazing, stupid show. :allears:

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 1, 2014

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Sentai is a completely different beast from Power Rangers, they just happen to share some footage. I got into Sentai earlier this year and have seen a few seasons so far and have been loving it.

If you're thinking about trying Sentai, I'd suggest starting with Kyoryuger, which is the most recent completed season of Sentai. It's dinosaur themed like Zyuranger, but is completely loving insane. The villains are great, the main team is great, the humor is great, it's an all around amazing watch where I never knew what was going to happen next.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

No, no. That's Dai-Satan. Which is better than regular Satan.

Also their robot made out of dinosaurs is God. It even lays the smiting on unbelievers a few times and is a complete old-testament rear end in a top hat.

Stupid, amazing, stupid show. :allears:

is this anime or is this real life

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mr. Trampoline posted:

Sentai is a completely different beast from Power Rangers, they just happen to share some footage. I got into Sentai earlier this year and have seen a few seasons so far and have been loving it.

If you're thinking about trying Sentai, I'd suggest starting with Kyoryuger, which is the most recent completed season of Sentai. It's dinosaur themed like Zyuranger, but is completely loving insane. The villains are great, the main team is great, the humor is great, it's an all around amazing watch where I never knew what was going to happen next.

Forget that. Go straight for Unofficial Sentai Akibaranger...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Save modern shows for later, start old school.

Old-timey japanese kids shows were the best.

EDIT: If any of this sounded interesting, head over here and ask for more details.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 1, 2014

• Locked thread