Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Powercrazy posted:

Yea last year I was pretty concerned about the entrenched medical lobby stopping recreational sales, but it doesn't look like that is the case and I doubt there are that many entitled "patients" who would vote against recreational weed in some kind of FYGM, so hopefully that's not a concern.

Given the whole thing about CO medicinal weed being cheaper than recreational, and thus undercutting rec because it's so easy to get a med card, is there some chance that CO (and maybe CA post-2016) will greatly tighten up the standards for a med card? Something like "no more scrips for anxiety, backaches, etc. Your happy rear end can pay retail for fully-taxed weed down at the cornershop."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Given the whole thing about CO medicinal weed being cheaper than recreational, and thus undercutting rec because it's so easy to get a med card, is there some chance that CO (and maybe CA post-2016) will greatly tighten up the standards for a med card? Something like "no more scrips for anxiety, backaches, etc. Your happy rear end can pay retail for fully-taxed weed down at the cornershop."

It will probably be an issue in the future but it sounds like they make enough revenue now that it's good enough to let it be.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I doubt it. The Prescription drug system, and healthcare in general is so broken, that I can't imagine anyone anywhere caring that much.

Maybe in the most extreme example where the vast majority of marijuana users are medical, such that retail effectively doesn't exists, but even in that case I'm not sure any politician could speak out and anger an industry that was that entrenched.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Powercrazy posted:

I doubt it. The Prescription drug system, and healthcare in general is so broken, that I can't imagine anyone anywhere caring that much.

Maybe in the most extreme example where the vast majority of marijuana users are medical, such that retail effectively doesn't exists, but even in that case I'm not sure any politician could speak out and anger an industry that was that entrenched.

I need untaxed medicinal lager for my anxiety.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Kevin Sabet complaining that the pro cannabis lobby have all the money.

quote:

“They have money and we don’t.” http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...d6ed_story.html

How much has your side already spent on cannabis prohibition, Kevin?

KingEup fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jul 24, 2014

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

KingEup posted:

Kevin Sabet complaining that the pro cannabis lobby have all the money.

How much has your side already spent on cannabis prohibition, Kevin?

Spending money in order to keep spending money putting people in jail isn't a profitable endeavor? Who could've thought?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'll give you an infinite number of guesses who's been getting ticketed most for smoking in public...

quote:

About 36 percent of those ticketed were African-Americans, who are 8 percent of Seattle's population according to the 2010 census. About 46 percent of those ticketed told police they lived in a homeless shelter, transitional housing or had addresses associated with homeless services.

:wow::hf::wow:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Holy Moley! I can't believe that discretionary law-enforcement is applied in such a manner. Knocks my socks off I tells ya.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Today a few DC groups banded together and got about 40 people to show up at the office of Andy Harris (R-MD). The guy who is tacked on a House budget rider (unlikely to clear the Senate) prohibiting DC from using fed or local funds to loosen marijuana law. Ever since this started there have been a bunch of jokes about "if Harris wants to run DC he should run for Council" and the like, which has gotten Harris ornery and saying arguably true but optically poor things like "in the federal enclave, then Congress is your local legislature."

People made some jokes about calling or emailing Harris's office with complaints about potholes, trash pickup, and the like. Then after some Twitter strategizing a bunch of us went down to the Longworth building in front of his office to file our petty local issues. Kinda silly political theater, but it got a lot of media coverage, people had a good time, Capitol Police were reasonably chill as long as we kept the volume down, left the middle of the hallway clear, and didn't wave signs.

Here's one decent WaPo piece on it:

Protesters press Md. Rep. Andy Harris to address more piddling D.C. concerns

HuffPo went with the much more dramatic: Pot Activist Raises Specter Of Armed Revolt, Is Politely Asked To Leave GOP Lawmaker's Office

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Is that really what he said? Kinda stupid

quote:

The civility of the protest was briefly thrown into question when Adam Eidinger, a leader of the pending effort to legalize marijuana in the District through a ballot initiative, suggested to Reigrut that congressional meddling in city affairs would lead to widespread civil disobedience and possible “terrorist groups” seeking greater D.C. autonomy.

Clever idea for a protest though.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but Rand Paul is pushing legislation to federally legalize medical pot apparently:

USNews posted:

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., is seeking to blaze a path for marijuana reform in the Senate with legislation that would officially legalize state medical marijuana programs and whittle away at federal drug possession penalties.

On Wednesday, the likely 2016 presidential candidate introduced an amendment to explicitly allow state medical marijuana regimes. On Thursday, he proposed a stand-alone bill that would lower federal penalties for repeat marijuana possession offenses and reform how law enforcement calculates the weight of drugs in baked goods.

“It is Rand Paul laying down his marker on this issue,” a senior Paul aide says of the medical marijuana amendment. The underlying bill, the “Bring Jobs Home Act,” is unlikely to become law, but Paul wants to force colleagues to reveal their position on medical use of the drug.

[RELATED: Rand Paul's Urban League Message]

National polls show overwhelming support for legal medical marijuana. CBS News gauged support at 86 percent in January and Fox News found 85 percent support in February 2013. Several national polls in 2014 have found majority support for outright marijuana legalization.

“There’s no way to make any progress on this issue until the Senate takes a vote and the American people can know where their senators are,” the Paul aide says. “That’s the reason to file amendments to every bill that comes up – there might be an opportunity to force a vote and put the Senate on record.”

In a surprising May 30 victory for marijuana reformers, the House of Representatives voted to block the Drug Enforcement Administration and federal prosecutors from going after medical marijuana in states that allow it. Paul and Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., announced June 19 they are sponsoring a companion amendment in the Senate, which has not yet come up for a vote.

[EARLIER: DOJ, DEA Silent After Stunning House Pot Vote]

The newest Paul medical marijuana amendment would go a step further by explicitly allowing states to legalize and regulate medical marijuana “[n]otwithstanding section 708 of the Controlled Substances Act … or any other provision of law.”

Marijuana is currently an illegal Schedule I drug under the Controlled Substances Act. Though the Justice Department generally tolerates medical marijuana in nearly two dozen states and recreational pot markets in two others, it’s still possible for patients, growers and middlemen to fall victim of DEA raids and prosecution by hard line U.S. attorneys.

Four family members and a family friend – jointly nicknamed “the Kettle Falls Five” – are currently facing federal charges after roughly complying with Washington state’s medical marijuana law.

Paul’s stand-alone drug reform bill filed Thursday, officially the Reclassification to Ensure Smarter and Equal Treatment (RESET) Act of 2014, would lower simple marijuana (and other drug) possession penalties for second- and multiple-time convictions from a maximum two years and three years, respectively, to one year in prison – eliminating the accompanying felony classification – and would lower maximum fines to $1,000.

[MORE: Former GOP Governor Looks to Build the 'Microsoft of Marijuana']

The bill would also ban using the total weight of baked goods as the standard for prosecuting illicit edible makers. Earlier this year a Texas teenager who baked marijuana-laced brownies was slapped with felony charges that bring up to 99 years in prison. He's charged with possessing 1.5 pounds of the drug, but his attorney says about 7 grams went into the brownies.

"In determining the weight of a controlled substance or mixture of controlled substances that is in compound with a food product for purposes of this title or title III, the weight of the food product shall not be included," the proposed RESET Act says.

"This is the latest in a long line of sensible drug policy reform proposals from Sen. Paul," says Marijuana Majority Chairman Tom Angell. "Most political observers assume he's setting himself up to run for president and, if that's true, this is more evidence that it's quickly becoming the new conventional wisdom that working to end the failed war on drugs is smart politics."

[WATCH: McCain Says 'Maybe We Should Legalize' Pot]
Editorial Cartoons on Pot Legalization 9

See Photos
Editorial Cartoons on Pot Legalization

Paul has sponsored or co-sponsored several other bills that would soften harsh drug penalties. He's a long-standing supporter to rescinding mandatory minimum sentences and restoring voting rights to ex-felons. Earlier this month he co-introduced with Booker the REDEEM Act, which would allow adults a path to sealing nonviolent criminal records.

The senator intends to sponsor a more comprehensive bill that would reschedule marijuana, allowing doctors to write prescriptions in lieu of state-authorized doctor “recommendations,” the Paul aide says.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
That's clever, it appeals to the young crowd while simultaneously it solidifies the existing marijuana producers in their seat of power and makes it less likely for recreational legalization to pass.

Oh and it still ensures that people go to prison for having marijuana.

e: Oh *and* it's attached to a bill that's likely to fail? Hat trick for Mr. Paul.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 26, 2014

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
The NYTimes:

quote:

Repeal Prohibition, Again

By THE EDITORIAL BOARD

It took 13 years for the United States to come to its senses and end Prohibition, 13 years in which people kept drinking, otherwise law-abiding citizens became criminals and crime syndicates arose and flourished. It has been more than 40 years since Congress passed the current ban on marijuana, inflicting great harm on society just to prohibit a substance far less dangerous than alcohol. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/07/27/opinion/sunday/high-time-marijuana-legalization.html

quote:

we believe that this is a big issue for the country — not because we think everyone should be smoking pot, but because while you were reading this blog post, there’s a good chance that, somewhere in the country, a young man — probably an African-American man — was arrested on a marijuana violation. Even if he is spared a prison term, that arrest is likely to severely harm, if not ruin, his life. http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/07/26/some-background-on-our-high-time-series/?smid=fb-share

KingEup fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 27, 2014

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

KingEup posted:

The NYTimes:

Of loving course this series of articles is called High Time. OF COURSE.

Edit: "On Monday at 4:20 p.m. Eastern Time, Andrew Rosenthal, the editorial page editor, will be taking questions about marijuana legalization at facebook.com/nytimes."

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

showbiz_liz posted:

Of loving course this series of articles is called High Time. OF COURSE.

Edit: "On Monday at 4:20 p.m. Eastern Time, Andrew Rosenthal, the editorial page editor, will be taking questions about marijuana legalization at facebook.com/nytimes."

If it was alcohol it would be a pun related to that. Newspapers love puns. Weed isn't special in that regard.

RichardGamingo
Mar 3, 2014
I know it's dumb to sign my posts, but I can't stop no matter how many times I'm told, because I'm really stupid and I want to make sure that shines through in everything I do and say, forever.

Best Regards,
RG
Weed ought to be legal

I smoked enough that I threw up once though, maybe it should be illegal on paper but allowed under the table???

Best Regards,
RG

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

what

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

RichardGamingo posted:

Weed ought to be legal

I smoked enough that I threw up once though, maybe it should be illegal on paper but allowed under the table???

Best Regards,
RG

:feelsgood:

Also

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Everyones' favourite legalisation skeptic Mark Kleiman is promoting a 'demolition job' of the New York Times editorial: http://althouse.blogspot.com.au/2014/07/words-that-dont-appear-in-nyt-editorial.html

KingEup fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 28, 2014

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Powercrazy posted:

Holy Moley! I can't believe that discretionary law-enforcement is applied in such a manner. Knocks my socks off I tells ya.

And from Seattle cops of all people!

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

KingEup posted:

Everyones' favourite legalisation skeptic Mark Kleiman is promoting a 'demolition job' of the New York Times editorial: http://althouse.blogspot.com.au/2014/07/words-that-dont-appear-in-nyt-editorial.html

This is so dumb I feel stupider having read it. But he has a point that maybe the under 21 crowd will still provide enough money to fund an illegal black market and... Hahaha no, that part was stupid as hell too.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
It's always some dumbass 'THINK OF THE CHILDREN' type thing too.

I have thought of the children. I think it's dumb to throw them in prison for weed.

The rat says squee
May 6, 2007
What else should they say?

Stanos posted:

It's always some dumbass 'THINK OF THE CHILDREN' type thing too.

Surprisingly, it appears that the controlled substances act may be amended to actually help children, and adults, with medical conditions that may be alleviated by marijuana.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/28/health/federal-marijuana-bill/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Excerpt:
The three-page bill would amend the Controlled Substances Act -- the federal law that criminalizes marijuana -- to exempt plants with an extremely low percentage of THC, the chemical that makes users high.

If passed, it would be the first time that federal law allows any medical marijuana use.

"No one should face a choice of having their child suffer or moving to Colorado and splitting up their family," said Rep. Scott Perry, R-Pennsylvania, the bill's sponsor. "We live in America, and if there's something that would make my child better, and they can't get it because of the government, that's not right."

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Oh, did anything come out of this?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/30/dea-medical-marijuana-house-vote_n_5414679.html

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So starting at 4:20 pm EST the New York Times has been doing a Q&A on their Facebook page about their editorial

Let it never be said these guys don't have a sense if humor

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

ONDCP responds to Times editorial: http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2014/07/28/response-new-york-times-editorial-marijuana-legalization

Provides lots of reasons why you shouldn't use cannabis, no reasons why it should be illegal.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 29, 2014

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Well, the theme of the piece is really that we can't view it (or substance abuse in general) as a law enforcement problem. That's pretty impressive progress.

quote:

The New York Times editorial board opined in its Sunday July 27, 2014 edition that the Federal government should legalize marijuana for adults aged 21 years and older. The New York Times editorial board compares Federal marijuana policy to the failure of alcohol prohibition and advocates for legalization based on the harm inflicted on young African American men who become involved in the criminal justice system as a result of marijuana possession charges. We agree that the criminal justice system is in need of reform and that disproportionality exists throughout the system. However, marijuana legalization is not the silver bullet solution to the issue.

In its argument, The New York Times editorial team failed to mention a cascade of public health problems associated with the increased availability of marijuana. While law enforcement will always play an important role in combating violent crime associated with the drug trade, the Obama Administration approaches substance use as a public health issue, not merely a criminal justice problem.

The editorial ignores the science and fails to address public health problems associated with increased marijuana use. Here are the facts:

Marijuana use affects the developing brain. A recent study in Brain reveals impairment of the development of structures in some regions of the brain following prolonged marijuana use that began in adolescence or young adulthood.[1] Marijuana use is associated with cognitive impairment, including lower IQ among adult chronic users who began using marijuana at an early age.[2]
Substance use in school age children has a detrimental effect on their academic achievement. Students who received earned D’s or F’s were more likely to be current users of marijuana than those who earned A’s (45% vs. 10%).[3]
Marijuana is addictive. Estimates from research suggest that about 9 percent of users become addicted to marijuana. This number increases to about 17 percent among those who start young and to 25-50 percent among people who use marijuana daily.[4]
Drugged driving is a threat to our roadways. Marijuana significantly impairs coordination and reaction time and is the illicit drug most frequently found to be involved in automobile accidents, including fatal ones.[5]
The editors of The New York Times may have valid concerns about disproportionality throughout our criminal justice system. But we as policy makers cannot ignore the basic scientific fact that marijuana is addictive and marijuana use has harmful consequences. Increased consumption leads to higher public health and financial costs for society. Addictive substances like alcohol and tobacco, which are legal and taxed, already result in much higher social costs than the revenue they generate. The cost to society of alcohol alone is estimated to be more than 15 times the revenue gained by its taxation.[6] For this reason, the Obama Administration and the Office of National Drug Control Policy remain committed to drug use prevention, treatment, support for recovery, and innovative criminal justice strategies to break the cycle of drug use and associated crime. This approach is helping improve public health and safety in communities across the United States.

Research also indicates that policies making drugs more available would likely not eliminate the black market or improve public health and safety, as promoted by marijuana advocates. Reports from the nonpartisan RAND Institute found that the potential economic benefits from legalization had been overstated, citing that:

Marijuana legalization would not eliminate the black market for marijuana.[7]
Dramatically lowered prices could mean substantially lower potential tax revenue for states.[8]
We are also keeping a close eye on the states of Washington and Colorado in conformance with the directive provided by the Attorney General in August 2013.

Any discussion on the issue should be guided by science and evidence, not ideology and wishful thinking. The Obama Administration continues to oppose legalization of marijuana and other illegal drugs because it flies in the face of a public health approach to reducing drug use and its consequences. Our approach is founded on the understanding of addiction as a disease that can be successfully prevented and treated, and from which people can recover. We will continue to focus on genuine drug policy reform – a strategy that rejects extremes, and promotes expanded access to treatment, evidence-based prevention efforts, and alternatives to incarceration.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Xandu posted:

Well, the theme of the piece is really that we can't view it (or substance abuse in general) as a law enforcement problem. That's pretty impressive progress.

By making it illegal you make it a law enforcement problem. It's mostly a bunch of doublespeak to handwave the status quo. "The system we have is bad, but there's no hard proof another system will be better, so we'll just keep thinking really hard about the issue." :downs:

Saying something is a health issue but making it illegal anyways is about as effective as making the flu illegal.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Xandu posted:

Not really. The whole response is almost entirely garbage.

quote:

We agree that the criminal justice system is in need of reform and that disproportionality exists throughout the system. However, marijuana legalization is not the silver bullet solution to the issue.

Thanks for acknowledging the problem and not doing anything about it. There is no silver bullet to racism, and eliminating legal avenues through which non-whites and the non-affluent can be persecuted is probably a pretty good thing to do, especially when things like drug laws seem to be rooted at least in part in keeping the non-whites from getting to rowdy. In short, the problem is being acknowledged and then nothing is being done about it. We could allow some people to independently choose to take on a self-chosen disadvantage by consuming marijuana while reducing the unchosen disadvantage of being non-white in the U.S., but apparently that's just not acceptable. This is the core issue. No one has to consume marijuana, but they could choose to do so. In a liberal society, which the United States claims to be, this should be an okay thing, since consumption generally doesn't negatively affect others. That debate is wholly ignored.

quote:

While law enforcement will always play an important role in combating violent crime associated with the drug trade, the Obama Administration approaches substance use as a public health issue, not merely a criminal justice problem.

So what are you doing about it? Drug trade is hardly the same as drug use, and let's be honest, how much of the marijuana trade is violent? I bet, relative to other drug markets where the cartels operate more prominently, violence is a lot more problematic. Thus, it's dishonest to associate violent crime and "the drug trade" with the marijuana legalization debate.

quote:

Marijuana is addictive. Estimates from research suggest that about 9 percent of users become addicted to marijuana. This number increases to about 17 percent among those who start young and to 25-50 percent among people who use marijuana daily.[4]

Okay. Lots of things are addictive. If this is a serious core issue for any administration, they have a whole hell of a lot of hoops to jump through to explain why marijuana is bad because its addictive, but other things aren't. If this is all about "weed is bad for kids," then fine. No rational individual should dispute that. We try to keep alcohol and drugs away from kids, we could do the same with marijuana.

quote:

Drugged driving is a threat to our roadways. Marijuana significantly impairs coordination and reaction time and is the illicit drug most frequently found to be involved in automobile accidents, including fatal ones.

This is some shady wording right here. People, I suspect, will read this and assume that marijuana is as much as, if not more of a threat than, alcohol right now, and that's not the case. Alcohol is a massive roadway threat to, so if this is another real basis for keeping marijuana illegal, then alcohol really ought to go to. Or we could just expect everyone to not drive while impaired. Such a difficult concept, I know.

quote:

But we as policy makers cannot ignore the basic scientific fact that marijuana is addictive and marijuana use has harmful consequences. Increased consumption leads to higher public health and financial costs for society. Addictive substances like alcohol and tobacco, which are legal and taxed, already result in much higher social costs than the revenue they generate. The cost to society of alcohol alone is estimated to be more than 15 times the revenue gained by its taxation.

So now we're being rational and playing it all by the numbers now? If an administration is going to play "follow the science and data!" on this issue, I expect them to do the same thing with other issues, which means Obama had better be ready to change a whole lot of inefficient and costly policies. Except that's hard and keeping weed illegal is (relatively) easy, so they'll just go with that. If we're really trying to minimize "costs of society," then let's revisit the keeping non-violent drug users out of prison thing. Costs to society from marijuana consumption are chump change in the grand scheme of things.

quote:

the Obama Administration and the Office of National Drug Control Policy remain committed to drug use prevention, treatment, support for recovery, and innovative criminal justice strategies to break the cycle of drug use and associated crime. This approach is helping improve public health and safety in communities across the United States.

"This approach is helping improve public health," is it? Really? These innovative strategies are happening right now? Please, tell me more about them and show me data about them. I would love to hear about how you're keeping black kids out of prison while also ignoring drug policies in the country.

quote:

Research also indicates that policies making drugs more available would likely not eliminate the black market or improve public health and safety, as promoted by marijuana advocates.

This is wrong as far as I can tell. "Would likely not," is a far cry from "empirically demonstrated to not." I've seen some European countries where possession is at least decriminalized, and guess what? General consumption goes down. The black market doesn't disappear is dealing is still illegal, but it's not like that should shock anyone in any capacity. Similarly, drug availability generally does not cause an increase in acquisitive crime, so that shouldn't be a factor here in terms of safety.

I also would like to know what "black market" means. If the black market is some guy in Colorado growing some poo poo in his basement and selling in to friends, then please, tell me why I should care because I'm really struggling. If it's a cartel/gang issue, then sure, but if distribution is legal, then the gangs and cartels literally have no reason to continue operating on an illegal basis. Prohibition should be really informative, and people seem to enjoy ignoring it.

quote:

Any discussion on the issue should be guided by science and evidence, not ideology and wishful thinking.

:lol:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Drug legalization thread - guided by science and evidence, not ideology and wishful thinking

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

NYTimes response to the White House:

quote:

When the White House issued a statement last night saying that marijuana should remain illegal — responding to our pro-legalization editorial series — officials there weren’t just expressing an opinion. They were following the law. The White House Office of National Drug Control Policy is required by statute to oppose all efforts to legalize any banned drug.

It’s one of the most anti-scientific, know-nothing provisions in any federal law, but it remains an active imposition on every White House. The “drug czar,” as the director of the drug control policy office is informally known, must “take such actions as necessary to oppose any attempt to legalize the use of a substance” that’s listed on Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act and has no “approved” medical use. http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/07/29/the-required-white-house-response-on-marijuana/?_php=true&_type=blogs&src=twr&_r=0

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

quote:

To the Editor:

Your opinion, in “Repeal Prohibition, Again,” that marijuana should be legalized is based in part on an assumption that during Prohibition “people kept drinking.” Prohibition reduced the public’s alcohol intake considerably. The rate of alcohol-associated illness dropped in similar fashion. Prohibition was perhaps a political failure, but an impressive success from a public health standpoint.

Both alcohol and marijuana can lead to the chronic disease of addiction, directly affect the brain and negatively affect function. As more than 10 percent of our population has addictive disease, your statement that marijuana is “far less dangerous than alcohol” doesn’t reflect decades of research demonstrating risks associated with both of these drugs.

Why would we possibly wish to add to the alcohol- and tobacco-driven personal and public health catastrophe with yet another substance to which some people will become addicted?

Some people use marijuana currently. Legalize it, and more people will use more marijuana, leading to more addiction, lower productivity and higher societal costs.

STUART GITLOW
President, American Society
of Addiction Medicine
New York, July 27, 2014
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/29/opinion/Legalize-Marijuana-Responses-Vary.html?_r=0

Apparently cannabis only springs into existence once legalised.

I wonder if Gitlow would support a ban on people playing tennis because lots of people are injured playing College Football and ice hockey? Why would we possibly wish to add to the burden of injury from college football and ice hockey by allowing people to play a safer type of sport!

Edit: Oh wow, Crazy Uncle Gitlow really is losing his mind: http://edition.cnn.com/2014/07/30/opinion/gitlow-marijuana-use/index.html?hpt=hp_c3

quote:

And since only a small percentage of state prisoners are there for marijuana offenses, how much would we be saving in criminal justice costs?

Gee... I don't know Mr Gitlow...

quote:

Outrageously long sentences are only part of the story. The hundreds of thousands of people who are arrested each year but do not go to jail also suffer; their arrests stay on their records for years, crippling their prospects for jobs, loans, housing and benefits. [...]

Even so, every arrest ends up on a person’s record, whether or not it leads to prosecution and conviction. Particularly in poorer minority neighborhoods, where young men are more likely to be outside and repeatedly targeted by law enforcement, these arrests accumulate. Before long a person can have an extensive “criminal history” that consists only of marijuana misdemeanors and dismissed cases. That criminal history can then influence the severity of punishment for a future offense, however insignificant. [...]

For those on probation or parole for any offense, a failed drug test on its own can lead to prison time — which means, again, that people can be put behind bars for smoking marijuana.

Even if a person never goes to prison, the conviction itself is the tip of the iceberg. In a majority of states, marijuana convictions — including those resulting from guilty pleas — can have lifelong consequences for employment, education, immigration status and family life.

A misdemeanor conviction can lead to, among many other things, the revocation of a professional license; the suspension of a driver’s license; the inability to get insurance, a mortgage or other bank loans; the denial of access to public housing; and the loss of student financial aid.

In some states, a felony conviction can result in a lifetime ban on voting, jury service, or eligibility for public benefits like food stamps. People can be fired from their jobs because of a marijuana arrest. Even if a judge eventually throws the case out, the arrest record is often available online for a year, free for any employer to look up. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/29/opinion/high-time-the-injustice-of-marijuana-arrests.html

KingEup fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 31, 2014

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
It's been a while since I looked at the numbers, but the estimates I remember had alcohol consumption drop about 30% in the two-three years after prohibition, then recover and steadily increase until they were actually higher than they were before Prohibition by the end of the period.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Follow up.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Seattle-officer-reassigned-for-busting-too-many-pot-smokers-269302871.html

Apparently it was just one guy.

quote:

The veteran officer, who was assigned to the West Precinct Bike Unit, personally wrote 66 of the 83 marijuana citations handed out this year,

So that's encouraging also according to the article he is being investigated and has been assigned to desk duty :unsmith:

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

quote:

To the Editor:

Much of the country — with The New York Times regrettably in the vanguard — is advocating the reckless addition of a third drug, marijuana, to two drugs currently legal for adults: alcohol and tobacco. These two legal drugs are the leading causes of preventable illness.

The legal status of a drug has dramatic impact on its use. In the last 30 days, 52 percent of Americans 12 and older used alcohol, 27 percent used tobacco and only 7 percent used marijuana. The dramatically lower level of marijuana use reflects its illegal status, not its appeal. Why is it in our nation’s interest to see marijuana use climb? Since when is smoking a program that we promote?

The best policy to protect public health is one that reduces, not increases, marijuana use. There are plenty of ways to achieve this goal, including a strong public education effort focused on the negative health effects of marijuana.

There are reasons why employers, including the United States government, prohibit marijuana use in the workplace. There are reasons why marijuana emergency room admissions are reported at the rate of 1,250 a day and 455,000 a year, and why highway crashes double for marijuana users.

We cannot ignore the negative effects that legalization would have on under-age use and addiction, highway safety, treatment costs, mental health problems, emergency room admissions, workplace accidents and productivity, and personal health.

PETER BENSINGER
ROBERT L. DuPONT
Chicago, July 30, 2014

Mr. Bensinger was administrator of the Drug Enforcement Administration from 1976 to 1981. Mr. DuPont, president of the Institute for Behavior and Health, was director of the National Institute on Drug Abuse from 1973 to 1978. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/01/opinion/Legalizing-Marijuana-Pros-and-Cons.html?_r=0

quote:

Much of the country – with the New York Times regrettably in the vanguard – is advocating the reckless addition of a third sport, Rugby, to the sports currently legal: College Football and Ice Hockey.

What next legalised Roller Derby and Lacrosse?

Drug warrior logic at its finest. Applied in any other context would get you laughed out of the building.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

KingEup posted:

What next legalised Roller Derby and Lacrosse?

Drug warrior logic at its finest. Applied in any other context would get you laughed out of the building.

It's funny how they never come to the only reasonable conclusion for the argument they're making, which is the prohibition of tobacco and alcohol.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Even if lowering drug use is taken to be good at face value, it's still really good if we can substitute even a small amount of alcohol use with marijuana use, since many fewer people will get in car accidents that kill people/themselves.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jeffrey posted:

Even if lowering drug use is taken to be good at face value, it's still really good if we can substitute even a small amount of alcohol use with marijuana use, since many fewer people will get in car accidents that kill people/themselves.

So people don't smoke up and then drive?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Powercrazy posted:

So people don't smoke up and then drive?

the nhtsa posted:

"Drivers under the influence of marijuana retain insight in their performance and will compensate when they can, for example, by slowing down or increasing effort," the report's authors found at the time. "As a consequence, THC's adverse effects on driving performance appear relatively small."

Not saying it's a great idea, but every study I've seen points to it having significantly less impact on performance than relatively low levels of alcohol or many common prescription drugs. Of course it depends on the person, which makes setting an ng/ml difficult. Lots of research is currently being done on the topic, though. Heck, congress was arguing about it yesterday.

Rep. Gerald Connolly, D-Va posted:

"No one is arguing that it's a good idea," Connolly said, "but the fact of the matter is that we don't know."

moller fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

moller posted:

Not saying it's a great idea, but every study I've seen points to it having significantly less impact on performance than relatively low levels of alcohol or many common prescription drugs. Of course it depends on the person, which makes setting an ng/ml difficult. Lots of research is currently being done on the topic, though. Heck, congress was arguing about it yesterday.

I feel thats a testament to how severely alcohol affects driving more than a testament to how little cannabis can.

• Locked thread