Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

John Cena posted:

Super Attitude Adjustment.

Username/post combination of the century right here.

Isn't the fact that the Burning Hammer has never been kicked out of mostly due to its effect of straight-up murdering a motherfucker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

that, and it's pretty much Kobashi's last resort move. I like the idea of wrestlers having a Last Resort type finisher that's only brought out in the most dire of situations, and it never fails. Kind of like Orton's punt.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

oatgan posted:

i could swear i've seen someone no-sell the cobra before

I think it was Cesaro.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure undertaker kicked out of the spear in that one match he had against the shield with team hell no.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

how many indie wrestlers do you think adopted the burning hammer as a transitional move

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

how many indie wrestlers do you think adopted the burning hammer as a transitional move

I've only ever seen it in backyard wrestling. Anybody good enough to make even a small name for themselves on the indies isn't usually that stupid

oatgan fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 1, 2014

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I should clarify that by "indie wrestlers" I meant the ones who aren't good enough to make a name for themselves but yeah that's definitely a thing I'd expect backyarders to do

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Cardboard Box posted:

tyler reks and mark briscoe used them as finishers

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Reks' was basically just an inverted Attitude Adjustment, though.

45ShadesOfDeath
Sep 7, 2004
Worst goon in the universe.
I think it was an IWA:MS match last year or the year prior. A guy used a burning hammer and his opponent kicked out at one. Eddie Kingston I THINK was on commentary started flipping his poo poo about how horrible it was.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I think Orton's punt is the most protected finisher in the WWE probably ever.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
When matches can only end with finishers you need to start kicking out of them to have believable near falls. This is a problem for both WWE and NJPW right now.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Reks' was basically just an inverted Attitude Adjustment, though.

Everybody is always talking about turning Cena heel, but I think the real money lies in introducing Bizarro Cena who does the inverted AA. I love the inverted AA.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

When matches can only end with finishers you need to start kicking out of them to have believable near falls. This is a problem for both WWE and NJPW right now.
I think with the right kind of pacing that can be mitigated. A creative finisher reversal into a pin, for example, protects the move while providing a good near-fall

Anyway, the protected status of a move doesn't really factor in the context of a good match as it's watched anyhow, so it matters little in general beyond a "linear championship"-style arbitrary ranking impulse

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 1, 2014

D Lambent
Jul 28, 2014

Basic Chunnel posted:

I think with the right kind of pacing that can be mitigated. A creative finisher reversal into a pin, for example, protects the move while providing a good near-fall

I may still just be struggling to deal with the awfulness that is the current WWE announce team, but I feel like it has a LOT to do with how the announcers sell it, too. Jim Ross faked me into so many false finishes, even ones in matches that I knew easily weren't over yet. I never truly felt like I knew when a match was going to be over with JR. A talented announcer changes everything. Cole just does not sell false finishes like JR did. And as much as Lawler annoys the piss out of me, he was much more effective at selling them with JR by his side.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Was Roderick Strong really in Birdemic?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

John Cena posted:

that, and it's pretty much Kobashi's last resort move. I like the idea of wrestlers having a Last Resort type finisher that's only brought out in the most dire of situations, and it never fails. Kind of like Orton's punt.

Yeah, it was only used 7 times (I think?), all during the peak of Kobashi's career.

And going by youtube clips his last one also looks way different than the first, the landing was way more on the shoulders than the head/neck. Some of the early ones look like he's trying to kill the earth with his opponent's skull. :gonk:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Basic Chunnel posted:

That sounds suspiciously like rasslin'.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
How many televised clean losses did Antonio Inoki have in his career?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

depends. is there a Japanese equivalent of C-SPAN?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Bigass Moth posted:

Didn't Vader squashing him nearly cause a riot? So I doubt they dipped into that well too often.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Is Inoki a bigger lunatic than Vince? I mean Vince has his insane money holes like WBF and XFL, but there's that picture of him dressing up and getting crucified at a show and announcing he's been a secret Muslim for decades to get heat at Pakistani shows. Basically it seems they are both insane wrestling geniuses.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

CobiWann posted:

Was Roderick Strong really in Birdemic?

no, I think there's a character that just looks a lot like him or something.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

no, I think there's a character that just looks a lot like him or something.

Main character looks like him and is named Rod

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

even better!!

I haven't kept up with the lovely low-budget horror movie culture since high school so I haven't seen all these Birdemics and Sharknados and whatever else the kids are raving about

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Sharknado is bad on purpose. Birdemic is bad on accident and is ten thousand times more glorious than anything except maybe The Room(hello doggy). I mean, it's called Birdemic and the birds don't even show up for 47 minutes.

D Lambent posted:

I may still just be struggling to deal with the awfulness that is the current WWE announce team, but I feel like it has a LOT to do with how the announcers sell it, too. Jim Ross faked me into so many false finishes, even ones in matches that I knew easily weren't over yet. I never truly felt like I knew when a match was going to be over with JR. A talented announcer changes everything. Cole just does not sell false finishes like JR did. And as much as Lawler annoys the piss out of me, he was much more effective at selling them with JR by his side.

Since you're just returning you might not know that basically everything Cole says is a parrot of what Vince is currently screaming in his ear.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

projecthalaxy posted:

Is Inoki a bigger lunatic than Vince? I mean Vince has his insane money holes like WBF and XFL, but there's that picture of him dressing up and getting crucified at a show and announcing he's been a secret Muslim for decades to get heat at Pakistani shows. Basically it seems they are both insane wrestling geniuses.

Absolutely yes, Inoki is the craziest man in wrestling. Like, he's beyond even Great Power Uti.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

This is a reminder that Kurt Angle is in Sharknado 2.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Absolutely yes, Inoki is the craziest man in wrestling. Like, he's beyond even Great Power Uti.
What tips the scales in Inoki's favour, as far as I'm concerned, is that he actually got elected to the Diet and worked a diplomatic crisis with North Korea to promote wrestling. That's way beyond anything Vince has ever done with regard to his wife's campaign or scandals involving sex, steroids, and dead wrestlers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mob posted:

Sharknado is bad on purpose. Birdemic is bad on accident and is ten thousand times more glorious than anything except maybe The Room(hello doggy). I mean, it's called Birdemic and the birds don't even show up for 47 minutes.

Birdimic is the touching love story of two people with autism. There is then a bird attack, and it might have a political message.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Which one is the one where Jerry Lawler piledrives a zombie to death?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Man, I'm currently watching Daniel Bryan vs. Triple H from WM 30 and I will be damned if Triple H's entrance isn't perfect in every conceivable way. My question is, does anybody know who came up with that entrance or if it was solely Triple H's idea? Because it's a genius piece of satire and I cannot put into words how much more I'd love Triple H if that was all his idea.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

bobkatt013 posted:

Birdimic is the touching love story of two people with autism. There is then a bird attack, and it might have a political message.

"...such as seals."

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Kind of related to my last question: Is there material about the cinematography of wrestling? They're doing a bit of analyzing of this over at the comic book thread in Cinema Discusso and watching Triple H's entrance from WM 30 made me think how nice it'd be to have something similar for wrestling, discussing composition, staging, lighting and whatnot. Is there something about this one could read, or is there interest in a thread about it if I made one?

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Grendels Dad posted:

Kind of related to my last question: Is there material about the cinematography of wrestling? They're doing a bit of analyzing of this over at the comic book thread in Cinema Discusso and watching Triple H's entrance from WM 30 made me think how nice it'd be to have something similar for wrestling, discussing composition, staging, lighting and whatnot. Is there something about this one could read, or is there interest in a thread about it if I made one?

I've never seen anything but if there was it would hopefully only cover up until two years ago when the Shield debuted because everything since then has been WOAAAAHHHH SHAKYCAM WOAAHHHH ACTION HAPPENING HERE WOAHHHHH

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Grendels Dad posted:

Honestly, it should be shot more the way professional sports are shot, and less the way television shows or movies are shot. The idea is to recreate the live experience of being at a wrestling show.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

That's true, the decline in quality in that regard has been pretty steep. But it's not the only aspect I've been thinking about. Catching the action in-ring strikes me more like a sports-related thing, but there are also story-telling elements to the filming itself and I wonder if anybody tried to analyze it.

edit: To give an example, in what ways are monster heels filmed? Are there distinct ways of filming them that communicate their absolute dominance, camera angles and suchlike? I want to say there are, but would have to do some research because up until now I never thought about it.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Which one is the one where Jerry Lawler piledrives a zombie to death?

Not sure but this weekend I'm planning on showing PRO WRESTLERS VS. ZOMBIES in synchtube so maybe Hacksaw will 2x4 a zombie or something

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Oh I see what you're asking, yeah there's probably nothing about it and won't be for some time because literally everyone involved in wrestling is a gigantic baby who feels like it's all some big secret and everything has to be protected. They don't want anyone to see it for what it is(a TV show/improv theatre)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

That's sad, but to be expected. What's also sad is that this is something where academics could easily do some analyzing by themselves, but I guess nobody wants to have "The cinematic language of professional wrestling" on their list of publications because it'd make them look like a massive geek.