Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Potsticker posted:

Well, the villains in TLA were not centered on "getting" the Avatar.

v v v Ehhh, I'd still consider him one of the major villains for 2/3rds of the show, even if it was obvious that he had the potential for a redemptive arc.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Aug 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I said "villains" quite clearly in that quote.

Unlike Amon who led the equalists, Zuko did not lead the majority of the Fire Nation and was often at odds with them.

raspy trashfucker
Jul 5, 2014
why is the avatar so important to the red lotuses again

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Not sure now, but before they were planning on using her to do "something" with Raava and Vaatu and the spirit world?

raspy trashfucker
Jul 5, 2014
they were goign to utilize her incredible sexual prowess in some way

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

thebardyspoon posted:

Not sure now, but before they were planning on using her to do "something" with Raava and Vaatu and the spirit world?

I'm guess trying to do what Unalaq did and forcibly destroy the Avatar bond and reinstate the never ending battle between Raava and Vaatu.

Yeesh those are some long term goals.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
They were gonna do exactly what Korra did at the end of season 2, open up the portals and let the two worlds exist as one. But he also wants to destroy all nations and force the world into anarchy because the writers of this show want to tell kids the best thing in the world is the established order and never to get out of line.

Also I'm pretty sure Henry Rollins isn't playing a character.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
^not quite since the last two books ended with "okay, the bad guy was evil and all, but he had a point, so lets change things up" with how the higher powers in Republic City were fired the gently caress away and a non-bender got power, then Korra uniting the spirit world with the physical one like Unalaq wanted.

In a way, Zaheer wants what Tenzin wanted earlier in the book:

To drag people away from their happy lives and lead a new life under the teachings of old Airbending masters.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

TheModernAmerican posted:

But he also wants to destroy all nations and force the world into anarchy because the writers of this show want to tell kids the best thing in the world is the established order and never to get out of line.

Except for the fact that the main characters have willingly butted heads with a President and a Queen so far this season... she's been kicked out of Republic City, and the Earth Queen is after them, clearly they don't have any issues with getting out of line when it's with good intent.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 1, 2014

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

To drag people away from their happy lives and lead a new life under the teachings of old Airbending masters.

The Guru was right! The idea of the elements being separate is an illusion!

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

thexerox123 posted:

Except for the fact that the main characters have willingly butted heads with a President and a Queen so far this season... she's been kicked out of Republic City, and the Earth Queen is after them, clearly they don't have any issues with getting out of line when it's with good intent.

It could still be a case of 'don't go against the established order unless you are the Avatar/the main character, you peasant'.

Anyway... boy did Tarrlok and Amon miss out. Now that's a lesson against murder-suicides if there ever was one.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I'm torn between thinking it's way too obvious that Suyin would be a member of the Red Lotus, since they both share a gently caress DA EARTH QUEEN stance, and thinking that it's just obvious enough to be plausible for this show. The only problem is that her actions during the raid on Zaofu make no sense if she's a member of the Red Lotus. Unless she just wants to remain under the radar and knew sending Korra and friends off on their own would almost ensure their capture...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

meristem posted:

It could still be a case of 'don't go against the established order unless you are the Avatar/the main character, you peasant'.

Which kid doesn't think of themselves as the main character?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

The art in this show is really lovely, you guys.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

thexerox123 posted:

It was a joke.

raspy trashfucker
Jul 5, 2014
in the latest episode korra tries meditating and eating cold cereal to get her unstoppable libido under control

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Baron Bifford posted:

This latest episode raises on of the big plot holes of the whole Avatar saga: they have never properly defined what "balance" is. This didn't matter very much the first show, A:TLA, because Aang and his friends had a more concrete, down-to-earth goal: preventing the tyrannical Fire Nation from taking over the world. All three seasons of LoK have had villains whose goals and purpose are never quite clear.

maybe "balance" not being defined is the point

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair, the Book 1 thread (Two years ago! Wow!) had people saying that with complete sincerity after Amon was revealed to be a fraud.
But you weren't there for that.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

To be fair, the Book 1 thread (Two years ago! Wow!) had people saying that with complete sincerity after Amon was revealed to be a fraud.
But you weren't there for that.

Also, this was posted just a page back:

DrSunshine posted:

Huh, I guess Bryan and Mike really hate anti-establishment types, huh.

So I thought both were earnest.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

computer parts posted:

Which kid doesn't think of themselves as the main character?
The kind that identifies with the villain and/or looks at the main character and thinks 'how would he/she treat me if I were nearby'?

Take ATLA. As a kid, would you have identified with Aang or Zuko? Myself, probably Zuko. I became an atheist convert from Christianity at seven, when I first heard the story about Satan's rebellion against God, and immediately decided that Satan was right and God was a dick.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Good lord, this season is unreal. Loved the episode.

Total jaw drop when Zaheer just friggin' teleported across the spirit world and threw Aiwei into the mist. And I thought the Pai Sho scene between Bolin and Asami deserves some props for being just a quiet, fun little character interaction sequence that totally worked. Also enjoyed how totally in over their heads Mako and Bolin were, when fighting the Red Lotus.

Too bad my speculation about the Red Lotus' motivations were super wrong, but hey on the bright side someone else's spec was super right!

The one thing that made me twitch was when Zaheer was talking about Unalaq and said "He allowed me and my friends to stay in prison -" PROPER GRAMMER, FOOL. :argh: It's "He allowed my friends and I"! Guess you're not so smart after all!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

The one thing that made me twitch was when Zaheer was talking about Unalaq and said "He allowed me and my friends to stay in prison -" PROPER GRAMMER, FOOL. :argh: It's "He allowed my friends and I"! Guess you're not so smart after all!

Actually, it wouldn't be my friends and I, that would be grammatically incorrect. Whichever way you would say it without the other object(s) is what would be correct. You wouldn't say "He allowed I to stay in prison", so you wouldn't say "He allowed my friends and I to stay in prison" either.

BrianWilly posted:

And I thought the Pai Sho scene between Bolin and Asami deserves some props for being just a quiet, fun little character interaction sequence that totally worked.

This scene was great. I like that it also makes total sense that a game that the White Lotus used to communicate has different styles for the different nations. It's very fitting.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 1, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I am really, really hoping they explore this. Tenzin and Zaheer could have a fight and Tenzin could put his mastery of the history of the Air Nomads to use. He even had that necklace thing with the Guru Lahima quote in his study.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

BrianWilly posted:

Good lord, this season is unreal. Loved the episode.

Total jaw drop when Zaheer just friggin' teleported across the spirit world and threw Aiwei into the mist. And I thought the Pai Sho scene between Bolin and Asami deserves some props for being just a quiet, fun little character interaction sequence that totally worked. Also enjoyed how totally in over their heads Mako and Bolin were, when fighting the Red Lotus.

Too bad my speculation about the Red Lotus' motivations were super wrong, but hey on the bright side someone else's spec was super right!

Well, would you say "He allowed me" or "He allowed I"? The construction is correct, if a little impolite.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

.......one sounds more right to me and is therefore the correct one.

:colbert:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I would have liked Zaheer's response to "Eliminating government will just create chaos" to be "for a time, yes. But from that chaos will come order" rather than "the natural order is disorder" because that just sounds like state of nature poo poo. He followed it up with "New growth can only come from destroying the old" which would imply that a state of perpetual chaos isn't his vision for the world.
I suppose if I'm being charitable I can accept that he's saying that the natural order is what most people think of as inherently disorderly, but the line ultimately fell flat.

I think it's going to come down to what they plan to do with Korra, now that Harmonic Convergence has passed and the portals are open.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I couldn't help but think of Zaheer grumbling "This is why I voted Tea Party" and making Iroh sad.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I guess this also answers the question of how Zaheer knew where Korra was.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ShadowCatboy posted:

I couldn't help but think of Zaheer grumbling "This is why I voted Tea Party" and making Iroh sad.

Well I didn't think of Zaheer and his bands as the (Red) Tea Party before you said this but now the two are inextricably tied together for me. Thanks a bunch. :argh:

Also, the end of this episode is making me wonder if Korra's going to get Dai Li brainwashed for a bit, and Mako and Bolin will do a temporary team up with the Red Tea Party to get her back, given that they currently have an overlapping goal.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
You know, if people can die and end up in that spirit mist that could mean Amon/Tarrlok are kicking around in there. I really hope they wouldn't bring them back though.

EDIT: Presumably they could get back to the physical world now that the spirit portals are open, and I would assume they would lose bending. That could be a way to balance them a bit. Bloodbending was too overpowering for a villain.

Antifa Spacemarine fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 1, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaheer being Bender Libertarian makes sense, honestly. "don't need no fuckin' government telling me how to spend by tax money, gently caress ya'll. George Washington the Guru said this thing once and that totally justifies my bullshit!"

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

You know, if people can die and end up in that spirit mist that could mean Amon/Tarrlok are kicking around in there. I really hope they wouldn't bring them back though.
Is there any evidence of that? The only person I can think of who was thought to have died and was in the prison is Zhao, but that could be explained by the ocean spirit carrying him there directly rather than him being killed by the spirit and winding up there afterward.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The spirit world isn't the Avatar-verse afterlife. I think one of the creators outright said it on a commentary track, but basically Iroh and all the rest of the folks in the Mist are special cases. In general, we can assume that people in this world reincarnate when they die.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
And the kinky bondage Korrasami shippers exploded with joy! Or am I the only one who noticed?

Seriously, the season's been keeping up so far. Only 4 episodes left, and I'm a bit disappointed we don't get double episodes each time. Oh well, might as well make the pleasure last, there's only 3 more weeks as they will finish with a pair.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

The spirit world isn't the Avatar-verse afterlife. I think one of the creators outright said it on a commentary track, but basically Iroh and all the rest of the folks in the Mist are special cases. In general, we can assume that people in this world reincarnate when they die.

Iroh specifically left his body before he died. Presumably if he tried to go back to it he'd die for reals.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Jorghnassen posted:

And the kinky bondage Korrasami shippers exploded with joy! Or am I the only one who noticed?

Seriously, the season's been keeping up so far. Only 4 episodes left, and I'm a bit disappointed we don't get double episodes each time. Oh well, might as well make the pleasure last, there's only 3 more weeks as they will finish with a pair.

You're the only one being creepy enough to have done so so far, at least.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

Oh Snapple! posted:

You're the only one being creepy enough to have done so so far, at least.

And I just realized how still ambiguously creepy the second paragraph can be interpreted (though it wasn't meant to be).

Anyway, Aiwei's body will eventually wither and die, right? It's not murder-suicide level of horrible death on a kids' show, but still, sort of pushing the limits of implications with Standards and Pratices, no?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So this is either me being utterly awful with names, or a crack in Zaheer's persona:

Does he quote anyone other than Guru Lahima? I might be super wrong, but I can't really think of other names he's said, and if he's just quoting from the one airbender dude, then he could easily have just studied the one guy that said stuff that sounds like back-up to his philosophy and run with it to sound smart, rather than actually caring much about the airbending culture. If so, then his mastery of the element could've come from somewhere else, such as training with an Air Acolyte that's actually a Red Lotus member while in the spirit world, just learning techniques until he's ready to bust out.

The Pai Sho scene and

Baron Bifford posted:

This latest episode raises on of the big plot holes of the whole Avatar saga: they have never properly defined what "balance" is.

Make me think there's a connection. If Pai Sho=Balance, then Bolin and Asami had different ideas of Balance, Asami's idea gave her an upperhand and Bolin had to adapt to it, and it took so long for Bolin to deal with it and defeat Asami that the board was thrown away by an external force, making that meaning of Balance not matter anymore.
The villains this series have all spoken about Balance, but for Amon balance meant equality and taking bending away, for Unalaq it was about tradition and spiritual connection, and for the Red Lotus it's freedom, all ideals that bring "balance to the world" because that's just how they see things and nobody can possibly agree on what exactly is needed for Balance, or on how Pai Sho is supposed to be played. Not sure what Pabu ripping Bolin's plushie head apart entails in this metaphor that's likely not even there and I'm just seeing stuff.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Jorghnassen posted:

And I just realized how still ambiguously creepy the second paragraph can be interpreted (though it wasn't meant to be).

Anyway, Aiwei's body will eventually wither and die, right? It's not murder-suicide level of horrible death on a kids' show, but still, sort of pushing the limits of implications with Standards and Pratices, no?

It's essentially an implied death unless someone pulls his spirit out. He's basically in a coma.

As far as the Red Lotus, their idea of balance is the "Natural Order" or Anarchism. Formal governments aren't necessary, only people living peacefully alongside each other with no restrictions in the possibility of pulling down power structures that become established that are considered bad.

I also fully expect a team-up with the Red Lotus against the Earth Queen and Korra super annoyed by the whole matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"What does it mean to bring balance to the world" has been a part of the series since the original. Balance is not a clearly-defined easily-accepted thing and different Avatars have different ideas of what balance means. The fact that different people define balance differently isn't a plot hole, it's explicitly a part of their characterization.

• Locked thread