Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate Disco > US Politics August - We tortured some folks
Kind of amazing he says something like that, when people at the presser are bored out of their skulls and just starving for the tiniest morsel to pounce on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Magres posted:

Go read the I/P thread :smith:

If I want to watch two groups of entrenched people engaging in long-winded, pointless arguments while the world burns, I'll just go re-watch "Apocalypse Now".

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I have the impression that eventually (maybe even now) Obamacare will be blamed for things that were already true of our healthcare system. IE: A healthy young person who's never been injured or paid much attention to politics breaks his leg and has to go to the hospital. When he gets the bill he's shocked at the cost. Must be Obamacare.

An employee at X company just received a notice that his health insurance premium will rise by 1-2% this year. This is significantly lower than the historic rates (I think) but he doesn't know this. All he knows is that right after this Obamacare thing went into affect his insurance costs went up.

It really surprises me how bad people's memories are. I'm pretty sure my Grandma was alive back when taxes were significantly higher than they are now but according to her Obummer (the guy that lowered my payroll taxes) is killing us all with taxes, taxes that are so obscenely high no one can get by but the very rich or the lazy poors who don't pay taxes.

edit: I also remember a bunch of my co-workers going nuts about the payroll tax increase in 2012/2013. Even though another co-worker and I explained to them what had happened (Obama lowered payroll taxes when he was elected and now conservatives forced him to bring them back up) the "Obama raised our taxes" meme continued.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 1, 2014

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Zeroisanumber posted:

If I want to watch two groups of entrenched people engaging in long-winded, pointless arguments while the world burns, I'll just go re-watch "Apocalypse Now".

Actually it's mostly been a bunch of people being sad about dead kids and a rotating cast of apologists for war crimes, speaking one at a time.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I have the impression that eventually (maybe even now) Obamacare will be blamed for things that were already true of our healthcare system. IE: A healthy young person who's never been injured or paid much attention to politics breaks his leg and has to go to the hospital. When he gets the bill he's shocked at the cost. Must be Obamacare.

An employee at X company just received a notice that his health insurance premium will rise by 1-2% this year. This is significantly lower than the historic rates (I think) but he doesn't know this. All he knows is that right after this Obamacare thing went into affect his insurance costs went up.

It really surprises me how bad people's memories are. I'm pretty sure my Grandma was alive back when Taxes were significantly higher than they are now but according to her Obummer (the guy that lowered my payroll taxes) is killing us all with taxes, taxes that are so obscenely high no one can get by but the very rich or the lazy poors who don't pay taxes.

Why would they not remember how things were before but would remember the term "Obamacare"?

Unless you literally mean within the next two years in which case there's a man named Cruz who's determined to make people forget about healthcare.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Candidate for Ohio Governor, Ed FitzGerald (running against Kasich), had a police report filed on him and some chick for sitting around in a parked car somewhere at 4:30 am, in 2012.

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2014/08/call_about_suspicious_car_led.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Now, on one hand, I honestly don't believe this was just innocent thing. On the other hand, I'm not convinced much actually happened because they were in a Ford Focus.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Winkie01 posted:

They just did.

Personally I don't give 2 shits about the CIA spying on Senators IE the same people that voted to let them spy on everyone else.

Well except, you know, they were trying to legitimately uncover some hosed up poo poo the CIA was doing... as in they were actually doing their jobs.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

As Zeitgueist said, it's not really entrenched arguments much anymore, it's mostly everyone watching, horrified, and collectively mourning for the dead, and occasionally some shitlord drops in and defends Israel and winds up getting banned when they let the mask slip and do things like calling the people of Palestine 'cockroaches.'

made of bees
May 21, 2013

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

It really surprises me how bad people's memories are. I'm pretty sure my Grandma was alive back when Taxes were significantly higher than they are now but according to her Obummer (the guy that lowered my payroll taxes) is killing us all with taxes, taxes that are so obscenely high no one can get by but the very rich or the lazy poors who don't pay taxes.

My great-aunt has documented what seems like every instance of a doctor retiring in her part of the state since 2010 on Facebook, all with some variation on 'ANOTHER FINE DOCTOR WHO'D RATHER QUIT THAN HAVE TO DEAL WITH OBAMACARE.........'

made of bees fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 1, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Rules Committee is now meeting, so the bill(s) have been written and there should be floor debate in an hour or two with votes an hour after that begins.

Alcee Hastings is now asking the Republicans, "So, what's your best case scenario for deploying the National Guard here?"

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Joementum posted:

The Rules Committee is now meeting, so the bill(s) have been written and there should be floor debate in an hour or two with votes an hour after that begins.

Alcee Hastings is now asking the Republicans, "So, what's your best case scenario for deploying the National Guard here?"

Winning the mid-terms.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

"We don't actually do it and this is all just grandstanding for frightened racists."

Oops, had this thing set on "honest answer".

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Is it sad that I hope the Tea Party nutcases write up a deportation bill that somehow manages to classify everyone as an illegal immigrant? Maybe by having something about "the descendants of illegal immigrants, where illegal is defined as not having the proper paperwork, are also classified as illegal immigrants" while the "proper paperwork" was something instituted recently (or was shot down in congress already)?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

computer parts posted:

Why would they not remember how things were before but would remember the term "Obamacare"?

Well right now I'm talking about the near future but I expect we'll hear the term Obamacare for a long time.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Randalor posted:

Is it sad that I hope the Tea Party nutcases write up a deportation bill that somehow manages to classify everyone as an illegal immigrant? Maybe by having something about "the descendants of illegal immigrants, where illegal is defined as not having the proper paperwork, are also classified as illegal immigrants" while the "proper paperwork" was something instituted recently (or was shot down in congress already)?

I am surprised the tea party has not thrown their support to this plan

http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/shows/live-news/2014/7/the-kkk-is-back-andarenothappywiththeimmigrationproblem.html

The KKK want to enact a shoot immigrant policy

quote:

The Klansmen purport to represent the "Loyal White Knights" of North Carolina, described by Ray as "the largest active KKK operation in America"

"These people are criminals to begin with when they cross our country," the white knight says of the mostly-underage immigrants currently collecting at the U.S.-Mexico border:

"They're gonna continue to break the law when they're here. they're bringing with 'em the third-world diseases...

If we can't turn them back, I think if we pop a couple of 'em off and leave the corpses laying on the border, maybe they'll see that we're serious about stopping immigration."

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

This is already happening, based on my voter contact experiences over the last few years. Folks just sort of conflate anything "healthcare" with "Obamacare" now. For instance, I've had folks bitch about the limited open enrollment period in Obamacare with literally no concept that that's standard practice.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Not to mention Dems in red states (notably Kentucky) are consciously avoiding saying to people that they now have insurance due to Obamacare in the fear that they will reject it out of spite.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Can someone tell me how D&D got the title it did? Who said that?

Also, can someone explain to me why, after the last 4 years of complete intransigence and do-nothing approach to governance, I continue to see projections that the Republicans will not only retake the Senate, but maintain and perhaps increase their advantage in the House? Why are Americans so loving stupid in not seeing how utterly plutocratic Republicans are?

Is the answer gerrymandering? Because I'm getting ready to go all Budd Dwyer if we have a Republican majority in Congress, doubly so if we elect president Cruz, Rubio or Christie in 2016.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

a shameful boehner posted:

President Barack Hussein Obama around 3:15 PM today.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Obama.

A casual tone was probably not the best choice.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Also, hey, I guess it's August.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
:toot: less than two weeks to my birthday

For my birthday I want Ted Cruz's humiliation and downfall.

Don't disappoint me goons

E: Sorry this kind of post belongs in the chat thread. Old habits :shrug:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The GOP brain trust pore over their handiwork in advance of the vote.

While nearby, Mike Michaud of Maine decides to drink a suicide solution.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Magres posted:

As Zeitgueist said, it's not really entrenched arguments much anymore, it's mostly everyone watching, horrified, and collectively mourning for the dead, and occasionally some shitlord drops in and defends Israel and winds up getting banned when they let the mask slip and do things like calling the people of Palestine 'cockroaches.'

Yeah, the entrenched arguments is going on in the political cartoons thread

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Also, can someone explain to me why, after the last 4 years of complete intransigence and do-nothing approach to governance, I continue to see projections that the Republicans will not only retake the Senate, but maintain and perhaps increase their advantage in the House? Why are Americans so loving stupid in not seeing how utterly plutocratic Republicans are?

The Senate is naturally gerrymandered in favor of the Republicans and due to only one third of it coming up each two years, the group coming up happens to be very favorable to the Republicans (few weak Republicans, many weak Democrats), The House is intentionally gerrymandered, and Democratic turnout is worse in off years than in Presidential years.

That said it should be a foregone conclusion the Democrats would lose the Senate given the elections happening this year, so that it's only like 50-60% chance they do means some people are paying attention.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Joementum posted:

Here's the video of Harry Reid explaining the rules of the Senate to a freshman Senator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYAqE72Whf0

I know what happened there, but never saw the video itself. Holy gently caress :eyepop:

Bunleigh
Jun 6, 2005

by exmarx
It's so weird watching Republicans pretend they're actually legislating for realsies.

edit ^: the way he repeatedly calls him "my friend from Texas" over a not-even-concealed smirk is hilarious

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Magres posted:

when they let the mask slip and do things like calling the people of Palestine 'cockroaches.'

This has been brought up before but I'm really glad that other people are just as creeped out as I am over people being described as vermin. Otherizing people as exterminable is Genocide 101 and I was starting to worry that people weren't seeing this poo poo.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Aug 1, 2014

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

D1Sergo posted:

This has been brought up before but I'm really glad that other people are just as creeped out as I am over people being described as vermin. Otherizing people as exterminable is Genocide 101 and I was starting to worry that people weren't seeing this poo poo.

I can find gentler calls for genocide in Der Sturmer.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

D1Sergo posted:

The specific term "cockroaches" was used a lot on Radio Rwanda to describe Tutsis, prior to the genocide there, so it makes the whole thing even more sick.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Good news, America! You can now trust your retirement savings are safe in the hands of Dick Morris.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkSiDM8Wh6s

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Good news, America! You can now trust your retirement savings are safe in the hands of Dick Morris.

I wouldn't trust Dick Morris with poo poo. Literal poo poo. Guy would promise me money if I poop in a Dick Morris Brand Toilet and three months later it would wake up in the night and burn down my house.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Joementum posted:

Personally I prefer my dick to be in my own hands, but - wait, I misread your post. Nevermind.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Hedera Helix posted:

The specific term "cockroaches" was used a lot on Radio Rwanda to describe Tutsis, prior to the genocide there, so it makes the whole thing even more sick.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ufarn posted:

Kind of amazing he says something like that, when people at the presser are bored out of their skulls and just starving for the tiniest morsel to pounce on.

To be honest Obama looked utterly exhausted and sick of this poo poo. There was an unusual amount of candor on his part and more people should probably see the whole thing than are actually going to.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

I can find gentler calls for genocide in Der Sturmer.

I remember the last time a bunch of right wing lunatics accused a group they wanted to genocide of being vermin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIQp31Oyn70

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Two Pullitzer-winning Editorial Cartoonist Michael Ramirez, everyone!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Randalor posted:

Congratulations, they are writing it. http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/gop-hands-immigration-policy-over-steve-king
Curious how amusingly bad its going to be.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Joementum posted:

Oh.. the guy that said Romney would win in a landslide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The subhuman Iranians are spreading their corrupting influence across the Middle East, spreading all over Iraq and threatening to do the same to the legitimate (and individually labelled) nations of Saudi Arabia, Gaza, and the West Bank. A radical Sunni cartoon.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 1, 2014

• Locked thread