Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun

angor posted:

Did a little experiment yesterday. Made an old fashioned with Angostura 1919, demerara sugar, Angostura bitters, and splash of orange blossom water.

Probably one of the best drinks I've ever personally made.

I made Rum OFs last night as well, with Smith and Cross. Followed by Aviations, Daiquiris, Sazeracs and Bitter Elders. A very good evening. Must try the orange flower water next time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Pro-tip: If you make raita (and you really should), after grating your cucumbers use a cheesecloth, ricer, hands to squeeze the excess water. Not only does your raita get non-watery, the cucumber water is EXCELLENT in gin cocktails!

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Just made myself a rum old fashioned as well. I forgot about the orange blossom water, but instead I muddled a couple blueberries with a small piece of lime, 4 dashes of angostura, 1/4 oz of demerara syrup, and added 2 oz of Diplomático from Venezuela. Incredible

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

angor posted:

Did a little experiment yesterday. Made an old fashioned with Angostura 1919, demerara sugar, Angostura bitters, and splash of orange blossom water.

Probably one of the best drinks I've ever personally made.

Sippin' on one of these right now, with Smith & Cross in place of the Angostura 1919. It's oppressively hot, so I've built it over a small ice cube. I know, I know, and I'm not even usually one to dilute liquor, but S&C benefits. It's fantastic.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

People should be less dogmatic about "not adulterating" their spirits. Smith and Cross really requires dilution to be consumed and Old Fashioneds require ice if you're not living in the 1830s. I also think that lots of people under-sweeten their Old Fashioneds. Sugar, ice, and water are all totally fine things to add to your spirit-based beverage, you just need to know what effect they have and what you are interested in drinking.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Yeah, there's an oppressive elitism about dilution (especially with the always-divisive Old Fashioned), and I admit to being suckered into it until fairly recently. But comparing this to a previous, undiluted version with otherwise identical ingredients, there's no question that the diluted drink is superior.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Dilution is a necessary aspect of many cocktails, and especially overproof liquors greatly benefit because there are flavor/aroma compounds that are only unveiled with the addition of water. Hence, the louche in absinthe. Plus there's no accounting for taste. If you like your drinks sweet, watery, or with vodka, I won't judge you and I'll gladly make them for you - but damned if I'm going to drink it

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

Tried a riff on a Margarita last night and it was pretty good. The habanero shrub was kind of subtle and honestly could be left out, but the heat it provides on the finish makes it a little more interesting. The Cointreau Noir gives a little more depth than the neutral spirit version and the Benedictine lends a little sweetness and herbal mystery.

2 oz blanco tequila
0.75 oz Cointreau Noir (Cognac based, much like Grand Marnier)
0.75 oz lime
dash of agave syrup
0.25 oz Benedictine
3 drops habanero shrub
shake/strai.n/coupe

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!
Speaking of Old Fashioned's, I had some people over recently, who plowed through a bottle of Grey Goose I had, and kindly left me about 2 oz or so. So sweet of them! Being completely out of vermouth, and nothing in the way of mixers in the house, I decided to try out a Vodka Old Fashioned. 2+ oz Grey Goose, 2 dashes Angostura, 1 dash of Orange Bitters, a splash of simple syrup, and we're off and running.

Not the most complex cocktail in the world, I'll be honest, but the grey goose works nicely with the familiar flavors of an old fashioned for me. The orange bitters round things out nicely.

Now that this is done, I might need to make a Rum Old Fashioned to round things out for the night.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone ever made Blood of the Kapu Tiki?

quote:

3 oz lime juice
3 oz grapefruit juice
3 oz orange juice
3 oz grenadine
3 oz simple syrup
10 oz amber rum
½ tsp Pernod
3 dashes Angostura bitters

Fill a pitcher with crushed ice and add all the ingredients. Swizzle with a long-handled spoon or swizzle stick until the outside of the pitcher is frosted over. Pour directly into small glasses or tiki mugs and garnish with an orange and lime wheel. Serves four to six.

Seems like an easily scalable party punch? I'll probably go with Cruzan for the rum.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Blood of the Kapu Tiki is pretty good. Make sure you swizzle the everloving hell out of it though. The grenadine is gonna make it pretty sweet (and please don't use Rose's; either get something nice or make some per Paul Clarke), so you want to really chill and dilute it.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Can't echo enough how disappointing Rose's Grenadine was. I looked at the ingredients and it was basically high fructose corn syrup, citric acid, red food coloring. I got criticized here for using Maraschino cherry syrup in a drink, but it was way better. Maybe sometime I'll try doing Grenadine right.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Plenty of good grenadine recipes out there. Try one

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I use Clarke's cold process and I've never even considered buying a commercial grenadine again. I'm not usually a cocktail snob, but there's just no comparison between real grenadine and artificially coloured and flavoured candy junk.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There are non HFCS ones on the market as well, but usually are not reduced as much as I'd like.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

I use Clarke's cold process and I've never even considered buying a commercial grenadine again. I'm not usually a cocktail snob, but there's just no comparison between real grenadine and artificially coloured and flavoured candy junk.

I mix equal parts cold and hot process. It adds depth and texture vs. just cold.

In other news, I was at my local cocktail spot last night and they had gotten their hands on a couple of bottles of Abbott's Bitters, which are being produced by Tempus Fugit Spirits. Holy poo poo. They are next level. I had them in a Manhattan and in an Old Fashioned, and they have this spicy, woody, almost smoky flavor that is hard to pin down but which really takes the cocktail game to the next level. I haven't seen them in distribution around the Bay yet, but if you see them in your hood buy them immediately.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 29, 2014

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Someone sent me a sample of Darcy O'Neil's (artofdrink.com) Abbott's Bitters a while ago. Do you know how they compare? I don't use them often, but mine seem rather subtle with a bit of anise. I should probably go back and taste them again.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The TFS Abbott's Bitters are definitely not subtle, and anise is far from the predominant flavor. If Peychaud's is plush, and Angostura is robust, these are rangy. They're definitely drier than the other two big aromatic bitters, and you really taste the Angostura bark (whereas Peychaud's features the anise and Angostura is gentian and cardamom). The flavor also really lingers, and kind of tickles your tongue. They are something special.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Cocktail thread. I have about a dozen bottles of bitters? What would be the best way to test their flavour? I was thinking a vodka tonic.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Dash them in your hands, rub them together, then smell deeply, twice. That should give you an idea of how they'll taste in a drink. Also you look like an austist while you do it; bonus points.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

bunnyofdoom posted:

Cocktail thread. I have about a dozen bottles of bitters? What would be the best way to test their flavour? I was thinking a vodka tonic.

Bitters and soda water is my go-to.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Kenning posted:

In other news, I was at my local cocktail spot last night and they had gotten their hands on a couple of bottles of Abbott's Bitters, which are being produced by Tempus Fugit Spirits. Holy poo poo. They are next level. I had them in a Manhattan and in an Old Fashioned, and they have this spicy, woody, almost smoky flavor that is hard to pin down but which really takes the cocktail game to the next level. I haven't seen them in distribution around the Bay yet, but if you see them in your hood buy them immediately.

I just picked up a bottle (the last and only one I saw) of these at the new Cask in Berkeley. Hot drat they are are good. Made myself a rockin' Manhattan (Rittenhouse/Carpano) with them.

There's no signage on the new place yet but it's open, btw. College/Alcatraz. They do tricycle delivery of booze in the neighborhood.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
I made this David Wondrich recipe last night and I really liked it. Refreshing, summery, not as vegetably as you might imagine.

2 tablespoons fresh corn kernels
4 halves cherry tomatoes
1.5 oz campari
1 oz gin

Muddle the corn and tomato
Add campari, gin, ice and shake
Double strain into cocktail glass and optionally garnish with a sage leaf

The fruitiness with the bitterness at the end made it kind of taste like eating a grapefruit.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

mich posted:

I made this David Wondrich recipe last night and I really liked it. Refreshing, summery, not as vegetably as you might imagine.

2 tablespoons fresh corn kernels
4 halves cherry tomatoes
1.5 oz campari
1 oz gin

Muddle the corn and tomato
Add campari, gin, ice and shake
Double strain into cocktail glass and optionally garnish with a sage leaf

The fruitiness with the bitterness at the end made it kind of taste like eating a grapefruit.

The corn is uncooked?

vvv
Mighty, mighty pleasin' -corn squeezin'.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 4, 2014

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Yes, uncooked. You're basically just using the corn juice in the cocktail. The recipe said to alternatively use a 1/2 oz of fresh corn juice instead of the corn.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

It is about corn season and I need to make this.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Huh, mostly tasted like campari to me.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Thoht posted:

Huh, mostly tasted like campari to me.

I felt the same way after my first sip; about halfway through I was tasting the corn and tomato. The second one I made, I dialed back the Campari to 1oz and added .5oz Averna. This one had a lot more tomato and corn flavor.

I'm certainly going to be playing with more vegetables in cocktails now.

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
Any suggestions for cocktails which would be appropriate for an outdoor wedding in summer? I am looking for something that is reasonably quick and easy to make.

One option I am leaning towards right now is a mojito made with mint infused simple syrup to save the bartender from having to muddle.

Drinks which can be made in pitchers would also be delightful.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Devoz posted:

Any suggestions for cocktails which would be appropriate for an outdoor wedding in summer? I am looking for something that is reasonably quick and easy to make.

One option I am leaning towards right now is a mojito made with mint infused simple syrup to save the bartender from having to muddle.

Not technically a cocktail, but sangria?

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Devoz posted:

I'm doing Philadelphia Fish House punch at mine. Recipe tbd. Maybe that one, or maybe the one from Punch itself or the Morganthaler variant.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Mr. Glass posted:

Not technically a cocktail, but sangria?

Add triple sec and vodka, now it's punch.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Devoz posted:

My godmother is turning 60 soon and gonna have a big bash. I'm bringing the punch, and it's gonna be Gowanus Club Gin Punch. A fat batch of it too. That's what you should make.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

I've been coasting on quick and dirty Gin & Tonics of late, so I decided to celebrate the start of the weekend with something a bit more demanding - a chartreuse swizzle. I believe the recipe has already been posted in this thread, but I'm posting it again for posterity, because it is goddamn fantastic.

The recipe called for a pint glass, but my 13~ oz julep cup handled it admirably. I need more drinks like this in my repertoire.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Kenning posted:

My godmother is turning 60 soon and gonna have a big bash. I'm bringing the punch, and it's gonna be Gowanus Club Gin Punch. A fat batch of it too. That's what you should make.

I don't have my book on hand, but is the Gowanus one of the variants on the Plymouth Pilgrim's Punch in David Wondrich's Punch!? It looks remarkably similar.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It is! This is one he codified and which Paul Clarke wrote up back in the cocktail blogging days of yore.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Kenning posted:

It is! This is one he codified and which Paul Clarke wrote up back in the cocktail blogging days of yore.

Cool! It's very tasty, but I can never quite figure out how much flavor the Chartreuse really adds. Also I wish that it had more pineapple flavor, but I guess that might throw things off balance.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Is canned pineapple juice really as lovely as that post implies, when compared to fresh? Juicing a pineapple seems like such a pain.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

cbirdsong posted:

Is canned pineapple juice really as lovely as that post implies, when compared to fresh? Juicing a pineapple seems like such a pain.

My personal experience is that generally fresh is better than canned in terms of depth of flavor. I feel a lot of the acidic flavors of pineapple are lost when it's been canned. I think you can kind of compensate by adding a little extra of whatever sour component you're using (typically citrus). Texturally, I find less of a difference, both fresh and canned can shake up to a nice foamy head, but fresh pineapple juice will support larger bubbles. Canned pineapple juice does have the advantage in that it is consistent from can to can, whereas depending on ripeness, you can have pineapples with a strong tart note to ones that are syrupy sweet. Convenience-wise, canned takes the cake. Just make sure to get unsweetened pineapple juice if you go canned. Recently I've been doing a lot of fresh pineapple because pineapple is just delicious to eat and I've found that like most things, you get better and it gets easier with practice. I'll probably still keep a couple cans kicking around for when I unexpectedly need pineapple juice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006

Kenning posted:

How long in advance can you make a punch? I am slightly afraid to trust a wedding company bartender for anything complicated, and may want to make this myself.