Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
There's definitely something going on with the Pai Sho game. At first I thought it was a simple chance vs deliberation, chaos vs order, anarchy vs law dichotomy as exemplified by the Red Lotus and the White Lotus, but if the Red Lotus was formed relatively recently, there might be something else it's trying to say as well.

Something else that's interesting was that, looking back, even Tenzin outright told Korra that her job wasn't to do the president's job, but to keep balance. But then again, he also implied that the president's job wasn't unimportant...it just wasn't Korra's job.

Also really looking forward to Old Man Zuko, who's probably the Grand Master of the White Lotus of this time, explaining a bunch of this poo poo when he finally meets Korra.

agghghghh don't disappoint me, show :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Zaheer mentioned something about the red lotus getting to him when he was a teenager, right? The organization is bigger than these four guys probably. With members that could be in any and every organization. Living in secret while the White Lotus became public.

They're loving Hydra, man!

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
That episode really knocked it out of the park. It had funny moments, good dialogue, suspense, exposition, action. This show has really found its footing.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I agree, this was one of the best scripts of either show. It was also the best of Korra's saga. I've been getting progressively more excited all season. Naturally this is the season where Nick screws with the show.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
By the way, whoever said lavabender dude was gonna be the teaching moment for Bolin is almost certainly spot on. They absolutely set that up for a future episode in the fight scene.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I wanna see Ghazan doing that multiple water-tentacle thing that Katara did when she was cornered with Aang by the Dai Li in the crystal caves, except with LAVA :black101:. In fact I wouldn't mind seeing that guy's backstory a little bit. Maybe he was sitting observing the waterbenders one day and thought "Hey, if Waterbenders can change ice to water on a whim, why can't we Earthbenders melt stone? Let's try that."

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So can someone translate those pages and posters that showed up this episode? I'm always curious about how they translate names into characters (generally phonetically iirc with little meaning).

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
ATLA Annotated has Korra's-- it tends to post translations after every episode, so I assume the others are forthcoming.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
In the distant future, the descendant of Zaheer and P'Li will inherit the Red Lotus' ideals, his father's voice and his mother's love of explosions.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

Good lord, this season is unreal. Loved the episode.

Total jaw drop when Zaheer just friggin' teleported across the spirit world and threw Aiwei into the mist. And I thought the Pai Sho scene between Bolin and Asami deserves some props for being just a quiet, fun little character interaction sequence that totally worked. Also enjoyed how totally in over their heads Mako and Bolin were, when fighting the Red Lotus.

Too bad my speculation about the Red Lotus' motivations were super wrong, but hey on the bright side someone else's spec was super right!
:smugdog:

But yeah, I agree this episode was stellar (of course it would have been MORE so if I could have watched it on my tv instead of stuttering, constantly-sticking streaming loving Flash on my laptop that I had to restart multiple times. And it wasn't my connection, youtube was flowing smoothly, so maybe Nick just hasn't paid Comcast for big pipe ala netflix et alI I dunno).

I'm also thinking Korra is going to get the Dai Li treatment (and initally was wondering if the truthteller guy wasn't a Dai Li agent at some point). I am rather worried about Bolin and Mako though. They are in the hands of some pretty rough customers. Not sure how they're going to prove useful in finding the Avatar if she's been captured by the Earth Kingdom, unless they have to help smuggle the Red Lotus folks in the same way they got into the upper ring last time they were in the Empress' city, which means... uh oh. Grandma and the new ready-made fam are going to be in danger.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
I'm wondering when they're gonna throw in a token Asami Saves The Day episode. I know she's supposed to be like this series' Sokka, but right now she feels like Team Avatar's Aquaman.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rincewind posted:

ATLA Annotated has Korra's-- it tends to post translations after every episode, so I assume the others are forthcoming.

Oh god this blog.

Noooo Kai look away!!! :cry:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

meristem posted:

The kind that identifies with the villain and/or looks at the main character and thinks 'how would he/she treat me if I were nearby'?

Take ATLA. As a kid, would you have identified with Aang or Zuko? Myself, probably Zuko. I became an atheist convert from Christianity at seven, when I first heard the story about Satan's rebellion against God, and immediately decided that Satan was right and God was a dick.

Definitely Zuko hands down, Zuko has a lot going for him to make him relate-able to a lot of kids who generally consume escapist media.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
I find it kinda funny that the Red Lotus' kidnapping plan was essentially having a Korra that ended up like this:

Except serious.

All things said though this season's been doing pretty well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jorghnassen posted:

And the kinky bondage Korrasami shippers exploded with joy! Or am I the only one who noticed?

Earlier in the thread I said to keep all the weird fan poo poo out even it was to mock them. That includes exactly this.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

StrifeHira posted:

I find it kinda funny that the Red Lotus' kidnapping plan was essentially having a Korra that ended up like this:

Except serious.

All things said though this season's been doing pretty well.

Oh my god. I really want the second or third panels of that for an av now.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Zaheer apparently doesn't know the history of the world prior to the Avatar. Before the Avatar, there was no anarchy for man. They all lived on the backs of the lion-turtles in very orderly societies with rulers - oppressive ones, in the case of Wan's home.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

Zaheer apparently doesn't know the history of the world prior to the Avatar. Before the Avatar, there was no anarchy for man. They all lived on the backs of the lion-turtles in very orderly societies with rulers - oppressive ones, in the case of Wan's home.

You can argue that is what he was talking about though. There were small cities on the back of the turtles but no overarching force that controlled huge territories of land and even in Wan's city it seemed more like those with power controlled things instead of elected officials or monarchs.

Zaheer doesn't seem to want Captain A Anarchy. He's basically seems to be arguing from a libertarian 'get the gubment out of our bending' perspective.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

First Bass posted:

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ImpAtom posted:

You can argue that is what he was talking about though. There were small cities on the back of the turtles but no overarching force that controlled huge territories of land and even in Wan's city it seemed more like those with power controlled things instead of elected officials or monarchs.

Zaheer doesn't seem to want Captain A Anarchy. He's basically seems to be arguing from a libertarian 'get the gubment out of our bending' perspective.

That's literally capital A Anarchy. It's small groups that aren't really led by anyone else (though I guess the rich guys in Wan's village are kind of breaking that).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

computer parts posted:

That's literally capital A Anarchy. It's small groups that aren't really led by anyone else (though I guess the rich guys in Wan's village are kind of breaking that).

You're right, I'm not sure what the hell I meant by that but I was in fact completely wrong. It is capital A Anarchy.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

First Bass posted:

That's as good as I could get it. :shrug:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm just waiting for the whole "New growth cannot exist without the destruction of the old" thing to end up being that Laghima was just talking about his beloved bonsai garden or something.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Well, I am happy that the motives of this season's villains are grounded in reality instead of being stupid esoteric lore bullshit, but I wonder how it's going to be handled with only a few episodes left.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Hauldren Collider posted:

I'm wondering when they're gonna throw in a token Asami Saves The Day episode. I know she's supposed to be like this series' Sokka, but right now she feels like Team Avatar's Aquaman.
Mako and Bolin together are this series' Sokka. Asami since Book 2 has been more of a Appa without the personality. It's like the writers didn't realize, when they decided to not make her a villain after all, that they would have to work on her character.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

ImpAtom posted:

Fill in the blanks as much as you like. I wish the writers for once would elaborate what their villains believe in and what they are aiming for, instead of giving us vague lines like "for equality" and "the balance".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

Fill in the blanks as much as you like. I wish the writers for once would elaborate what their villains believe in and what they are aiming for, instead of giving us vague lines like "for equality" and "the balance".

They did. I mean they flat-out had Bolin and Asami have a conversation this episode which basically was that and Zaheer flat-out stated his beliefs.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Aug 2, 2014

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Baron Bifford posted:

do you even watch the show

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Baron Bifford posted:

To be honest they're more articulate than most anarchists regarding their end game beliefs.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

What makes you think that Zaheer wants to get rid of the Avatar or go back to the way things were before the Avatar? I don't think he's ever said or implied that.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
I'm hoping someone at some point in the season actually points out the real reason anarchy doesn't work, i.e. that if you take away all the leaders, new ones spring up and at best you end up back where you started.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

thexerox123 posted:

What makes you think that Zaheer wants to get rid of the Avatar or go back to the way things were before the Avatar? I don't think he's ever said or implied that.
First episode he says it's "the end of the Avatar."

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I don't know if he meant kill the Avatar r anything so much as the symbolic end of the Avatar as a role. They're basically anarchists and they just don't want the Avatar as a kind of spiritual leader.

When he first began speaking, I thought what they wanted was to basically instate Korra as some kind of supreme overlord world leader - which is both kind of the oposite of what they want and way more interesting, I think. Korra is the exact kind of person who would fall into it (to a point0, too. Authority figures have only ever gotten in her way, and she still see's herself as usually being in the right.

All this said... i'm still enjoying this way more than season two. I don't know if that's much of an accomplishment though.

I'm hoping someone at some point in the season actually points out the real reason anarchy doesn't work, i.e. that if you take away all the leaders, new ones spring up and at best you end up back where you started.

Yeah seriously what a lot of post-apocalyptic stories forget completely is that humanity didn't begin with a fixed government or social norms or anything. Anarchy is impossible to maintain because a) it isn't good for anyone and b) the only way to maintain a state of anarchy would be to... have an authoritative power that makes sure there... Is no authoritative power.

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 2, 2014

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Shhh, it'll all work out fine! After all, Guru-san said

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Looks like Asami's gonna have her moment in the sun.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

I also fully expect a team-up with the Red Lotus against the Earth Queen and Korra super annoyed by the whole matter

I'm actually hoping they'd recreate Aang's assault on Ba Sing Se but with Zaheer's team. It's been a while since we saw a massive bender battle.

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

b) the only way to maintain a state of anarchy would be to... have an authoritative power that makes sure there... Is no authoritative power.

This is probably why the mods in r/anarchy are so authoritarian.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

"There's no way I can get these locks off."

Just undo the belts. The belts are just belts.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Cabbage Corp must've built their airships out of tin, if a not-particularly-bulky teenage girl could just pry and bend everything like it was a can of sardines!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

DrSunshine posted:

Cabbage Corp must've built their airships out of tin, if a not-particularly-bulky teenage girl could just pry and bend everything like it was a can of sardines!

Isn't Asami actually a pretty well trained (and likely strong) martial artist? We haven't seen it in a while, but given she's traveling with the Avatar I doubt she's slacking on training.

• Locked thread