Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I hit level 4 this morning. About a level a day so far, but now I'm at the point where I'm setting up multiple fields every morning so AP is coming fast. It will be interesting to see how things shift on campus once fall semester starts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

It will be interesting to see how things shift on campus once fall semester starts

Campus portal clusters are a never ending warzone when school starts and a gold mine for any agent on either side looking to level quickly.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Campus portal clusters are a never ending warzone when school starts and a gold mine for any agent on either side looking to level quickly.

Cool, the way it works right now is I take everything and link it up in the morning. Farm through the work/class day. Someone comes along for what I assume are night classes, takes everything then we repeat. He is kind enough to only use level 1/2 resonators and I return the favor except for the building I'm trying to hold for 3+ days for the achievement.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Teddybear posted:

Overnight resistance set up a field with points in New Hampshire, Vermont... and Bermuda. :stare:

I forgot about that with my guardian this morning. I got home from fielding a town about a half hour before this went up and put an end to local linking. It's funny looking at the comms and just seeing link notifications stop.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Can you create links inside an existing field, as long as they don't cross other links? Or does being within a field completely lock you down?

I still don't understand the "hold down" trick for attacking that people mention. I might just be incredibly dense, though.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

A L4 tried to attack my Guardian, which is a L7 with Very Rare shields and turrets on it.

It was adorable :3:

It was also kind of scary that he chose to wander into a dark forest at midnight. Hope he had a flashlight!

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 31, 2014

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

If your portal is under a field, i.e. southern NH, eastern MA, and all of RI last night, you cannot link to or from.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

EVG posted:

Can you create links inside an existing field, as long as they don't cross other links? Or does being within a field completely lock you down?

I still don't understand the "hold down" trick for attacking that people mention. I might just be incredibly dense, though.

You can do a link from a portal that isn't covered by a field to a portal that is. So if you have a triangle with one portal inside, you can go to each corner of the triangle and link to the portal in the center. What you can't do is stand in the portal in the inside and do any link out of it.

For the hold down trick when attacking, go to your inventory/weapons and pick your burster. Hit the Fire button and that will take you back to the map with another Fire button. That's the one you want to hold down when attacking. If you're holding it down and end up not wanting to fire it, slide your finger off of it and it won't go off.

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 31, 2014

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Exit Strategy posted:

The DC Metropolitan Area Enlightened have a member who owns a helicopter and has a pilot's license. On the underside, she's painted their local faction logo.

She was at Gettysburg with her agent ID on her shirt, the back reading "Aerial Guardian Hunter", and I asked why. Apparently the DC Resistance hate her.

That's both ridiculous and awesome

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
How do you see a portal's age on IITC? A friendly player's guardian portal is in my circuit and I'm somewhat curious how close it is.

Finally caught up with the local group. I am officially the only player in my town, at all, everyone else drives in or through. Apparently the big hostile player here is a heavily suspected cheat and confirmed severe poopsocker. He (and his 'girlfriend and kids') will retake portals way, way out in the boonies at any hour so he's either an insomniac spraying gas money out of a firehose or spoofing somehow. Same guy whose name is on all the bullshit portals here, oddly enough.

Had a longass battle over a portal. Two people my level rolled in and blew up a fairly key hub portal and built it up as beefy as they could - four l5 and four l4 res, and four shields. I burnt all my ammo taking it down, but once they gave up remote charging it, it went down fast.

E: ahaha the local g+ group seriously has a "photos of enemy players" and a section where people figure out where they live and work and what they drive. I don't know if this is funny or sad.

Javid fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 31, 2014

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Well, the ingress browser map no longer shows portal age, probably to reduce Guardian hunting, so I'm not sure IITC can show it either.

Javid posted:

E: ahaha the local g+ group seriously has a "photos of enemy players" and a section where people figure out where they live and work and what they drive. I don't know if this is funny or sad.

Sad. Around here, we report players for pulling this kind of poo poo. Kill it when it's just one or two guys and you'll never let it grow to the organizational level, ideally.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

On the other hand the poopsocker I mentioned apparently drives something with truck nutz on it. I'd wanna avoid that guy too.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
What are Guardian Portals?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

There's a badge, called guardian, you get for holding portal X number of days. The onyx badge requires you to own a portal for 150 days.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

The Guardian Portal badges are:

3 days - copper
10 days - silver
20 days - gold
90 days - platinum (?)
150 days - onyx

I have a Gold, and am working towards the 90 day one.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Bobulus posted:

Well, the ingress browser map no longer shows portal age, probably to reduce Guardian hunting, so I'm not sure IITC can show it either.

Sad. Around here, we report players for pulling this kind of poo poo. Kill it when it's just one or two guys and you'll never let it grow to the organizational level, ideally.

The way that I know people are doing the tracking is taking a snapshot of Intel every day (with custom IITC plugins that track it "manually")
Obviously this only works if you were already tracking stuff beforehand and have been taking these snapshots religiously every day

If your guardian is out of the range/area of their stalking, they won't find it

As far as "enemy" details - most people are very friendly with people from the other faction and if someone feels like they're being stalked or otherwise harassed, we take care of it in a cross faction hangout - usually just a few bad apples that take things too seriously

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Does IITC change it so you can see level 1 / 0 portals from a further zoom? I suspect there are a lot of Lv1 guardian portals that only survived because no one bothers to zoom in close enough to see it on the normal map.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Qu Appelle posted:

The Guardian Portal badges are:

3 days - copper
10 days - silver
20 days - gold
90 days - platinum (?)
150 days - onyx

I have a Gold, and am working towards the 90 day one.

Well looky there, I've got a 3 day badge already... :v:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Bobulus posted:

Does IITC change it so you can see level 1 / 0 portals from a further zoom? I suspect there are a lot of Lv1 guardian portals that only survived because no one bothers to zoom in close enough to see it on the normal map.

You can get a plugin to see everything yeah.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Cool that this thread is still providing people with a place to chat but somebody might want to make a new OP. Mine is way out of date!

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK
Anyone who is low level and wants to know how to level up, just ask in chat for someone to bomb an area for you. I'm only lvl 8 and it's more fun for me to bomb stuff for newbies than it is to work for badges. If only one had shown up instead of two I would have walked them around and given them keys and got them to link up in the most effective ways, too.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Apparently someone forgot to submit the Resistance group photo for Boston to the Ingress Report so the photo of my anomaly team was in the Ingress Report email as the Boston picture. Hooray for nerd cred, I guess.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I'm not in the NH group so I can't know for sure - but based on stuff I've seen him post, you're probably right, though I still don't think people have any way of knowing what the day was other than the old google docs spreadsheets (or his own) that are probably still being updated
The capture date is still sent to the client when a portal is visible on screen. You can't access it legitimately, but you can by packet sniffing. Isn't it great to leave "features" in so that only cheaters can use them?

Teddybear posted:

Overnight resistance set up a field with points in New Hampshire, Vermont... and Bermuda. :stare:
And people say link amps are useless.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Saw a trail of keys leading away on my way home today. Would have followed it but I was on a bus. If I had picked then up, would I have hosed with someone's carefully arranged message/plan?

Guess there's no way to know! Can you see who dropped an item?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

No way to know who dropped it, but they only last 12 hours, so very little damage done.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

EVG posted:

Saw a trail of keys leading away on my way home today. Would have followed it but I was on a bus. If I had picked then up, would I have hosed with someone's carefully arranged message/plan?

Similar thing happened to me last weekend. I drove my gf for a business trip she had going on, and occupied myself with Ingress while she did her thing. Ultimately found myself following a trail of keys left by someone I never met in a town I didn't know.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Javid posted:

How do you see a portal's age on IITC? A friendly player's guardian portal is in my circuit and I'm somewhat curious how close it is.

Using IITC will get you banned - A local Resistance agent lost his account and when he appealed it he was told it was because he was using unauthorized map tools.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives
Yeaa, that's not really true. Every single hardcore player I know uses IITC. Vicariously, so does everyone who's been banned.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

A number of people were banned last fall for using a broken version of the IITC Mobile app. I'm not aware of any bans for the desktop based tool.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Man, someone rolled through campus this morning and wrecked everything and dropped a few level 8s. Ugggggggggggh

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

EVG posted:

Chances are they were at item cap or sick of having so many keys and just dropping them. Someone dumped a bunch of keys from Europe at one of our farms today, it should be fun to see what we can do with them.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Anyone else getting 'Scanner FAILED' Street this latest update? I am in Seattle, and it's annoying.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
IITC doesn't scrape for the portal age, IIRC. Could be wrong. There might be a plug in for it, but it might not be on the official site.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Qu Appelle posted:

Anyone else getting 'Scanner FAILED' Street this latest update? I am in Seattle, and it's annoying.
It appears to be a widespread bug with the latest update. It's happened before and they fixed it within a few days.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I wish IITC would not be a thing because the "Track Player Movement" function of it caused so much drama.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

It's a useful tool and has a lot of plugins that I don't consider cheaty (draw tools, bookmarks). It does also have a lot of cheaty plugins, though. I mostly use it because the mobile Intel site is poo poo.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

My new portal just got accepted, despite the obvious misspelling.

I invite you all to visit, if you're in the area.

"Success! Your Portal candidate has been accepted and will be enabled in the Ingress Scanner in the near future. You have been rewarded with 1000 AP and a Portal Key for this new Portal.

Portal: Gpd is Good Ethiopian Church

8445 Rainier Avenue South, Seattle, WA 98118, USA"

Gpd is GOOD!

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Praise be to Gpd!

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

On the upside it's 200AP more for you when you ask them to fix the typo.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

kitten smoothie posted:

On the upside it's 200AP more for you when you ask them to fix the typo.

Which I will do.

And.......Silver Seer medal achieved! I still have a lot of portal submissions for them to go through, and a few that I want to appeal. But, YES. :dance: :dance: :dance:

All hail Gpd!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
My friend got me to download Ingress (iPhone haver here) and I made an account. Something weird happened to cause the tutorial to stop, though I've gone through most of the tutorial bits from the system menu.

Thing is, when my friend would drop gear for me to pick up, I'd try to pick it up but it wouldn't go in my inventory. And as far as I can tell, my attempts to fire XMP Bursters or hack portals do not work. It looks like I don't actually have any effect on the game world. (I have verified my account.)

Any advice?

• Locked thread