Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I know it's not what you're looking for, but why not just buy a small external for $60 and back up to that? I know it's possible to lose this thing, but if you just keep it stored somewhere or always plugged in, you should be set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Installed Yosemite on my Air on Monday, not my main work machine, but I use it regularly including 2 presentations this week (probably wasn't smart), data collection/analysis, and for relaxing on the couch.

Have yet to notice any major issues, really. I like dark mode minus how lovely the icons on the top bar looked, so I disabled it immediately. I also remember the Wi-Fi drop down menu as well as another looking mostly blank at some point, but that quickly fixed itself. Probably a simple bug to fix.

Firefox performance seems pretty awful as well. Sometimes webpages will take like 10 minutes to load (even after quitting/reopening). Copying and pasting the link into Safari/Chrome, they open immediately, so that's obviously Mozilla related. Overall I think it's the best OS X upgrade in a while.

Highlights: 1) Spotlight search is more pronounced & robust 2) SMB sharing seems to be quicker & more stable. Shares to my media server seem to actually auto-reconnect when I bring my laptop home?? 3) Appearance 4) iCloud drive. I've been hooked/using Dropbox for years but it has never felt quite 'integrated'. iCloud drive seems to fulfill that goal (& save me money??). 5) iMessages SMS integration (not available in Beta 1) will be a killer feature. No more need for Google Hangouts/messaging platforms?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Has anyone completely ditched Flash on their Mac? Any regrets? CPU usage is killing me in Yosemite, I think it's time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Never had a problem with it. Youtube/Twitch is flash right?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

GokieKS posted:

Dashlane. It also has minor UI/UX issues (my biggest annoyance is that the position of the show password and copy password buttons are swapped between the Windows and OS X versions), but it has a workable client on every platform that I need (Windows, OS X, iOS, Android), which is more than I can say for KeePass, and is only $30/year, which is less than what it would cost me to keep up with the upgrade cycle for 1Password.

The problem with dashlane is that they basically ransom off access to your passwords.

At least with 1password, I can keep using their client even if the company dies.

Normally SaaS stuff is fine, but not with sensitive info like this.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

japtor posted:

Can Crashplan ship you a drive to restore from or is that another provider I'm thinking of? ...and that might only be for initial backup actually, I can't remember.

BackBlaze will ship you up to a 4TB drive (good for 3.5TB of data) for $189, next-day FedEx with your data on it.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Pivo posted:

Should be Sys Prefs -> Users and Groups -> Login Options, unless they massively changed poo poo in Yosemite.

Automatic login is greyed out.

:(

edit: yes i clicked the lock and entered my system password

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

spunkshui posted:

Automatic login is greyed out.

You can't use auto login with FileVault enabled. Hold your mouse over the greyed out selector and you get a nifty popup that says so.
You might also have Keychain Syncing enabled, that might also disable autologin.

sass menagerie
Nov 29, 2008

Dear Diary, I'm sorry for all those hateful, racist things I said about you.

tonic posted:

Has anyone completely ditched Flash on their Mac? Any regrets? CPU usage is killing me in Yosemite, I think it's time.

I have, and I really don't miss it. For the odd website that requires Flash, I keep Chrome around, since it has Flash built in, separate from the general Internet Plugins directory.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

tonic posted:

Chrome's built-in flash is why I'll only use that browser, at least until flash dies the horrible death it deserves.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

sass menagerie posted:

I have, and I really don't miss it. For the odd website that requires Flash, I keep Chrome around, since it has Flash built in, separate from the general Internet Plugins directory.

Been doing this since the snow leopard days

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why not use ClickToPlugin? I for one don't want to open a separate browser just for the sensation that I've quarantined Flash in my system.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

Why not use ClickToPlugin? I for one don't want to open a separate browser just for the sensation that I've quarantined Flash in my system.
Yeah this is my solution. I don't want to worry about "oh wait I want to watch Hulu, I need to open Chrome instead of Safari."

I was intrigued by Mavericks' similar Flash-blocking system, but it's not nearly aggressive enough and just seems to randomly guess at what Flash to block for "power saving" reasons. Maybe Safari 8 will be more aggressive about it, but in the meantime I like ClickToPlugin -- especially on a machine with dual GPUs that loves to jump over to discrete graphics whenever a plugin activates. Replacing lots of embedded Flash players with HTML5 versions (and being able to AirPlay them) is a nice perk too.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

If you use Alfred, there's a great extension that will open the current page in Chrome. On my machine, it's nearly instantaneous.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

tonic posted:

Just install Chrome

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

tonic posted:

Safari as a main browser with Chrome for backup works super well.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

fleshweasel posted:

If you don't have Flash you will get served HTML5 players automatically on many sites. Since Flash is still installed, the browser reports it as installed and sites serve it to you, even though you're blocking it. Using Chrome as a backup is the way to go.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

japtor posted:

For Safari, try in a new user account. That'll hopefully narrow it down to either a systemwide issue or just something up with your particular settings

As for Office, :iiam:.

Thanks, I created a new user and logged in with it. The site worked. Then I went back to my usual account and tried it again. It worked! Why? How? No idea. Creating the new user probably had nothing to do with fixing the problem(?), but thanks anyway.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Malcolm XML posted:

The problem with dashlane is that they basically ransom off access to your passwords.

At least with 1password, I can keep using their client even if the company dies.

Normally SaaS stuff is fine, but not with sensitive info like this.

Considering you can even export all your passwords as a CSV if you wanted to, I'm not sure how you're reaching the conclusion that they "ransom off access to your passwords".

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Is there any way to have Safari's bookmark bar show favicons?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

GokieKS posted:

Considering you can even export all your passwords as a CSV if you wanted to, I'm not sure how you're reaching the conclusion that they "ransom off access to your passwords".

Sure but try working with long strings of random digits on an iPhone

You need a native client on mobile, on desktop an excel spreadsheet is ok I guess

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Blinkz0rz posted:

Is there any way to have Safari's bookmark bar show favicons?

I've searched high and low for this with no luck. Glims will get you favicons on tabs, but no one has figured out the bookmarks bar yet.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Malcolm XML posted:

Sure but try working with long strings of random digits on an iPhone

You need a native client on mobile, on desktop an excel spreadsheet is ok I guess

or import the csv into another password manager

G5ANDY
Sep 19, 2004
Is it possible to assign different time machine disks to back up different locations from the same machine? E.g. Can I have a drive at work back up just my work and have a drive at home back up my work and my iTunes?

langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet
Has anyone experienced (and fixed) a problem with WIFI not working when waking from sleep unless you turn the WIFI off and on again? It shows as being active, but the internet is not accessible. I saw one suggestion to do with Bluetooth profiles, so I tried that and no joy.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I need IE Compatbility Mode for work, please help.

I need to find out what my options are if I need to access webpages on my company's secure website that only display info that can be seen in internet explorer with compatibility mode turned on. Now I understand that Safari (and many other browsers) allow me to change the user agent to make the site think I am using the preferred browser. THIS IS NOT WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

I don't need to fool or trick the site into thinking I am using another browser. I need the compatibility mode to be able to SEE the information being displayed. Otherwise the page simply displays a pane that is void of information and fields.

Now I understand that I can install Windows using bootcamp, but this macbook air only has so much space because it has only a 125gb drive.

I still haven't put all the files I need onto this macbook and I am already running out of space. Migration assistant has already told me to go back to my old windows laptop and get rid of some poo poo to be able to have enough space to migrate.

I already checked to see if I could just use Boot Camp to install windows on a 64gb SD card, but I read that is a "no can do" for licensing reasons?

I don't want to drag my old windows laptop AND the Mac around. I cannot make them update the site because they don't want to have to fix a plethora of other connected interfaces and coding for pages/system that they are getting rid of in a couple of years.

VM and windows in VM seem to take a lot of time to bring up and are lots of gigs also?

Are there any other options?

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

B4Ctom1 posted:

I need IE Compatbility Mode for work, please help.

I need to find out what my options are if I need to access webpages on my company's secure website that only display info that can be seen in internet explorer with compatibility mode turned on. Now I understand that Safari (and many other browsers) allow me to change the user agent to make the site think I am using the preferred browser. THIS IS NOT WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

I don't need to fool or trick the site into thinking I am using another browser. I need the compatibility mode to be able to SEE the information being displayed. Otherwise the page simply displays a pane that is void of information and fields.

Now I understand that I can install Windows using bootcamp, but this macbook air only has so much space because it has only a 125gb drive.

I still haven't put all the files I need onto this macbook and I am already running out of space. Migration assistant has already told me to go back to my old windows laptop and get rid of some poo poo to be able to have enough space to migrate.

I already checked to see if I could just use Boot Camp to install windows on a 64gb SD card, but I read that is a "no can do" for licensing reasons?

I don't want to drag my old windows laptop AND the Mac around. I cannot make them update the site because they don't want to have to fix a plethora of other connected interfaces and coding for pages/system that they are getting rid of in a couple of years.

VM and windows in VM seem to take a lot of time to bring up and are lots of gigs also?

Are there any other options?

I think this is exactly the sort of things the free VM's over at modern.ie are supposed to solved.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

ambushsabre posted:

I think this is exactly the sort of things the free VM's over at modern.ie are supposed to solved.

Thanks I am looking.

EDIT: As a new Mac user, not even knowing what "Terminal" is let alone how to use "Terminal" commands. I quickly found myself out of my depth.

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 4, 2014

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
You really probably shouldn't be accessing your company's secure websites through a 3rd party web-based VM (if it can even connect to them - the websites may well be on the intranet and inaccessible from the outside network).

E: I see that they allow you to test internal sites through an extension. That still does not make this a good idea, and your company IT/Security will probably be unhappy with you if they find out you're doing this.

GokieKS fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Aug 4, 2014

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

B4Ctom1 posted:

I can't see why Windows licensing would care about that. I'd expect the problems to be more technical in nature. Apple's internal SD card readers are USB devices and I've always heard that Windows is not easy to install on USB drives.

quote:

Not sure how you got that idea? The virtual HD file only uses as much space as it needs to for the files you've put on it. I've got a Windows VM here which I configured with a 40GB virtual disk, but it's only using 8GB because almost nothing is installed besides the Windows OS. You can put the VM on a SD card if you need to, and can even move it back and forth if you need to.

If the VM is on your internal SSD it won't be slow to bring up either. If it's on a SD card it won't be as fast, but you'd have that problem on a bootcamped SD card too, plus the annoyance of rebooting just to look at a web page.

On an Air the biggest concern is RAM. If you have only 4GB, that's a strong reason to virtualize XP since it can be quite happy and useful as a web browser OS in only 512MB. XP is poo poo and out of support and will probably get pwned in seconds if you expose it to the wild world of the modern internet, but if you only intend to use it for one legacy company internal website who cares? More modern versions of windows need 2GB of RAM, which isn't fun at all on a 4GB Mac.

If you already have Windows install media and a license code, try VirtualBox first because it's free.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So is it normal for iPhoto 9.5.1 to run like a fossilized dog turd when zooming and navigating in a single large photo? I use a 2010 MacBook running 10.9.4 with an SSD. If I throw the same photo into Preview it works great. What gives?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

GokieKS posted:

You really probably shouldn't be accessing your company's secure websites through a 3rd party web-based VM (if it can even connect to them - the websites may well be on the intranet and inaccessible from the outside network).

E: I see that they allow you to test internal sites through an extension. That still does not make this a good idea, and your company IT/Security will probably be unhappy with you if they find out you're doing this.

This is a big worry for me. I understand the risks involved when I am doing things I know about. When I start doing things I am not familiar with, such as VM, it begins to increase my risk. All of that sounded risky to me.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Actually, to step back a bit... is the website you're trying to access supposed to be publicly accessible? If so, security concerns on your end are basically a non-concern, so go wild with using a VM to run IE if that's what you need to do. But if not, then... why are you trying to access it through (what sounds like) a personal computer?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

BobHoward posted:

I can't see why Windows licensing would care about that. I'd expect the problems to be more technical in nature. Apple's internal SD card readers are USB devices and I've always heard that Windows is not easy to install on USB drives.

Found it on the apple support site. Stated that bootcamp will not allow it because making it so that the user could take a licensed copy from one machine to another by way of an SD card creates a licensing dispute Apple wants no part of. Apple assumes that any copy of windows you install will be legal and licensed, and the user will be bound by the terms of that licensing etc etc etc.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

GokieKS posted:

They have windows 7 virtual box images that you can download and use, it seems like that's exactly what he's looking for.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

GokieKS posted:

Actually, to step back a bit... is the website you're trying to access supposed to be publicly accessible? If so, security concerns on your end are basically a non-concern, so go wild with using a VM to run IE if that's what you need to do. But if not, then... why are you trying to access it through (what sounds like) a personal computer?

The site is not publicly accessible, the bulk of it I mean. There are a few bright and shiny pages for the public and the customers I work for the UP Rail Road. Company is in Omaha, NE. Employees all across the country access information on the site with their user ID and Password. The site is very diverse covering multiple systems, and many job craft types that need information unique to their type of craft. The Union Pacific's communications infrastructure is second only to the US Military.

At one time there were multiple systems in different places. Most of these systems are fancy and state of the art, other were old college/hospital type hand me down CRT. In the 90's they centralized and patch-worked it all together. By the time they start phasing out one really old thing, their newest systems become outdated. It is a nightmare.

We can sit here and talk about the who's and why of why they should do one thing and not another, but it isn't going to get them to change their mind on the pages I need to use that require IE Compatibility mode.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

ambushsabre posted:

They have windows 7 virtual box images that you can download and use, it seems like that's exactly what he's looking for.

Right, but in that case it's just a simplified version of the process of creating a local VM (with not-entirely-clear licensing status) , which he said he didn't want to do (though it really is the most straightforward solution).

B4Ctom1 posted:

The site is not publicly accessible, the bulk of it I mean. There are a few bright and shiny pages for the public and the customers I work for the UP Rail Road. Company is in Omaha, NE. Employees all across the country access information on the site with their user ID and Password. The site is very diverse covering multiple systems, and many job craft types that need information unique to their type of craft. The Union Pacific's communications infrastructure is second only to the US Military.

At one time there were multiple systems in different places. Most of these systems are fancy and state of the art, other were old college/hospital type hand me down CRT. In the 90's they centralized and patch-worked it all together. By the time they start phasing out one really old thing, their newest systems become outdated. It is a nightmare.

We can sit here and talk about the who's and why of why they should do one thing and not another, but it isn't going to get them to change their mind on the pages I need to use that require IE Compatibility mode.

So you're expected to access these pages through your own personal computers? If that's really the case, then 1.) that's pretty terrible practice if the site has any sort of sensitive/private data, and 2.) the onus is really not on you to be worried about their security. Go ahead and use IE in a VM.

GokieKS fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 4, 2014

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
Doesn't IE run in WINE pretty well these days?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

B4Ctom1 posted:

No one really cares about the details of why your company is stuck with a legacy web service. What was being asked was whether this was a "secure" system -- do you have to be on a VPN or something to access it? Or can any public computer (with IE running in compatibility mode) access the site as long as you have a valid username and password? If the former, you're going to need to run a local VM on your MBA (assuming your company has a security policy and you don't want to violate it). If the later, you can just RDP to a hosted VM or whatever and won't need to run a local VM.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

thegreatcodfish posted:

Doesn't IE run in WINE pretty well these days?

Not really, hence why Wine can optionally install a Gecko runtime, to embed it in programs that are expecting to embed mshtml.dll aka IE.