Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
You can do something of a tri-spec if you dump pretty much everything that doesn't directly relate to shooting mans.

http://goo.gl/Hwx47r for non-infamy

http://goo.gl/CGhjEc for infamy

Basically your only deployable is non-double stuffed ammo bags but this setup would basically have people asking 'if you can kill on the scale of a god, and you have the arrogance of a god, who is to say that you are not a god?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Is joker as awesome a skill as it sounds?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Not really. It is kinda awesome but your Jokers have a tendency to die pretty quickly, so realistically your gameplay ends up being shouting at every cop regardless. That said, tan swats make pretty nice Jokers and can help soak up a fair bit of fire while they last.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

For the record I loving love Joker, mobile sentry guns with infinite ammo that soak up aggro are always a good thing.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

NeoSeeker posted:

Stockholm syndrome sounds awesome as well. Still, joker does at least provide a meat shield to draw attention away. don't bother acing it unless you don't want to put the points anywhere else. The jokered cop is only there to die.

Thank You Card
Mar 20, 2007

I'm your only friend.

Brainamp posted:

Stockholm syndrome sounds awesome as well.

It really, really doesn't.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Joker is good up to Overkill difficulty, where its utility becomes severely limited by shifting damage and enemy hp values. It's worthless on DW, almost certainly by design; it's the reason why Gensec elites don't get body armor.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 4, 2014

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I think it's a good idea to get mastermind just for the cable guy and endurance skill.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

NeoSeeker posted:

I think it's a good idea to get mastermind just for the cable guy and endurance skill.

Yes, just as it's a good idea to get Enforcer for Transporter, and Ghost for Fast Hands.

Because these couldn't just be innate skills unlocked at levels; no, it has to waste your precious skill points on things that make the game bearable.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

NeoSeeker posted:

Jokers work not only as good distractions from regular cops, but from specials as well. Shields turning to face them when you stop shooting is awesomely useful, and on occasion Cloakers seem to decide to shoot my jokerman instead of charging me, and anything giving me an edge on Cloakers is welcome. It's a good, fairly cheap tool to have if you're going up that far in Mastermind already (don't climb Mastermind just for Joker). Definitely don't ace it, though; the extra damage is pointless because you're not really converting them to shoot back, just get shot, and the extra health is nice but getting another cop friend is always free if you're careful.

Thank You Card posted:

It really, really doesn't.

I disagree. Being everyone's favorite Public Enemy #1 and getting revived by the same dude you beat down with a baton and tied up moments earlier is a pretty funny thought. It just really doesn't work at all with the game mechanics.

NeoSeeker posted:

Cable Guy is nice for stealthing and cheap to get but I don't get everyone's love of it, what with it being revealed recently that any number of hostages past one don't have a direct impact on anything. They still work as nice cop distractions I guess but I'd rather stick the four points in a lot of other places (and generally do).

Endurance is solid, though, as is Fast Learner. Leadership's a good low level skill as well if you find stability a problem.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Cable Guy still rules because of the sheer number of hostages you can take. The guide you link complains that they're just going to be freed anyway, but that is not true if you have an outside idea of cop spawns on a map. Outside of the actual HRT teams, cops only bother freeing civilians if they're incidental to the path they are taking anyway. As an example, on Trustee, people stash hostages in the copy room all the time, but a hostage just around the corner in the security room or behind the manager's desk is never going to get rescued. This is most obvious on Big Bank, because the map is so huge that there are a number of areas that the cops will very rarely go. You don't need to herd civvies around like the annoying cats they are to make a safe hostage. You can have 3 caches of civvies around a map all ensuring that you will have that 30 second bonus and a safety net for hostage trading. The 30 second bonus is particularly big since on Overkill you rarely get more than 30 seconds anyway.

It is also extremely cheap. First tier and a 4 point ace. I mean if you really need those 4 points to finish off a build, fine, but it is not overvalued.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Any tips for the Transport levels on Deathwish? We managed Park by doing laps and making sure to leave the street truck for last, but on Crossroads we were getting horrid poo poo like pairs of Dozers with shields in front of them.

I am using a KSP and the ugliest minmaxed Loco I could put together. Another guy had a Thanatos, we had ample medical and ammo bags, and we usually got five bags into the wine store office quickly enough to not wipe out on the street. Even so, the amount of poo poo that floods the room at once would usually overwhelm us before we would run bags during the break.

All that said I am loving ace flash resistance since we got probably four in the span of fifteen seconds.

I've got Ace Bulletproof and Underdog with Basic Iron Man and Overkill so I don't think it's my survivability that's the issue.

Coolguye posted:

It is also extremely cheap. First tier and a 4 point ace. I mean if you really need those 4 points to finish off a build, fine, but it is not overvalued.
I only left Cable Guy out of the build I'm using now because it's specifically meant for Watchdogs, Transport and Rats. Otherwise it's the first thing I ace even before Transporter (since you can do a bank job where bag movement doesn't matter and quickly get Transporter's points).

Coolguye posted:

I only just yesterday used the R93 for the first time, and holy crap, it is nice. I'll probably end up dropping it for the Thanatos again at some point, since I typically roll as the Player Bulldozer build that mainlines cops while other people do objectives. The R93 just can't eat a Bulldozer the same way a Thanatos can. But until I get back up to Bulletproof and I'm playing Minidozer, the R93 is a joy to use. All it really needs is the Theia scope and it's ready to rumble, and you come with enough reserve ammo that you don't feel bad about using a few bullets normal dickwad cops, like cinnabuns camping out on the Big Bank balconies.
I would like it but it's just so drat ugly. The Rattlesnake is my favourite for looks but I can't remember if Aced Silent Killer + Tech headshot lets it drop specials in a single headshot.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Aug 4, 2014

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Coolguye posted:

Cable Guy still rules because of the sheer number of hostages you can take.

But more than one hostage is no different than one hostage. A single hostage reduces assault times the same amount 20 hostages does. There's just no tangible gain.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

But more than one hostage is no different than one hostage. A single hostage reduces assault times the same amount 20 hostages does. There's just no tangible gain.
It buys a lot of peace of mind on bank jobs (Big Bank included) and also gives you more options for trades without living or dying on one pair of civs.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Read the rest of my post, instead of just quoting and responding to the first sentence. Two hostages you will likely run into a situation where you have none, this is true. Tying down more and moving them just out of sight will mean that you will likely never be without the bonus. It also means that accidentally shooting one is not the end of your bonus. It requires a little map knowledge to make it work, but let's be honest, man, we're all playing these heists dozens of times.

You can valuate that yourself, I am certain, and Cable Guy is one of the lowest on the 'quality of life' skills that people recommend, I am further certain, but it's still very good for what it does and how cheap it is.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

It buys a lot of peace of mind on bank jobs (Big Bank included) and also gives you more options for trades without living or dying on one pair of civs.

Or having one teammate with dominator so your entire team can dominate and get as many as you want.

Like yeah I'm not gonna sperg and complain about min maxing skills but people always include it with Transporter and Fast Hands and I just don't see it. If you want to climb Mastermind and don't want the alternatives, its a decent stepping stone, but I would hardly call it essential.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

A dominated cop has roughly the life span of a fruit fly caught in a blender because you can't move them and they refuse to lay the gently caress down, so I don't think it's at all accurate to compare a cop hostage to a civvy hostage.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

When you can turn literally any non-special cop into a hostage kind of at will, their health and immobility isn't really of consequence.

I will say, though, that if you're worried about being overrun it would be nice not to have to worry about yelling at people mid heist.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
k nevermind cable guy please help me get my DW mask on maps where you can't go full python and run away.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Or having one teammate with dominator so your entire team can dominate and get as many as you want.

Like yeah I'm not gonna sperg and complain about min maxing skills but people always include it with Transporter and Fast Hands and I just don't see it. If you want to climb Mastermind and don't want the alternatives, its a decent stepping stone, but I would hardly call it essential.

I don't think they have fixed the dominator thing, it doesn't apply to teammates.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

We had a game salvaged yesterday by taking a cop hostage while our Dominator was in custody so I can tell you conclusively that it does.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I would really really like to be able to manually move hostages around well there was my big idea.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
If I can pick up a hockey bag of solid gold the average human should be no problem.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
What I find most interesting about the hostage thing is that it means that it's absolutely worth trying to wrangle civs on certain maps where they're normally seen as just window dressing. Every single Transport job (and the Train, I guess), Watchdogs Day 2, and especially Big Oil's scientist. And similarly, trying to get a dominated cop somewhere safe and secure is also a huge boon for maps that have no civilians at all, especially if you can manage to get one fast enough that it applies to the first assault.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 4, 2014

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Cable Guy is an insurance skill for stealth, and one of the most useful insurance skills.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Shumagorath posted:

Any tips for the Transport levels on Deathwish? We managed Park by doing laps and making sure to leave the street truck for last, but on Crossroads we were getting horrid poo poo like pairs of Dozers with shields in front of them.

from my experience doing them, you really need:
two C4 guys
at least one saw guy
one masterforcer (can also be saw guy)

Each C4 guy picks the left or the right side of a truck. You blow a truck as fast as you can, saw guy sprints in to start sawing boxes. While they're doing that, blow the second and (optionally) a third. They won't have time to saw as quickly as you can blow doors but the goal is getting the minimum bags out before the assault really ramps up. This is hard. More likely you'll get 2-3 and you have to immediately hole up, survive the assault, then quickly go out while it's fading and saw the second/third truck until you get the required bags. Take them and leave.

so basically some of it is RNG bag spawning, most of it is just going very, very fast.

Psion fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 4, 2014

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
It'd be cool if you could do more things with hostages. How about a high-tier mastermind skill that lets you trade hostages to negate an assault (as a balancing measure, maybe the next assault is meaner because of it?) Or, for those who feel grief over the all-or-nothing quality of some heists, how about trading hostages for ballistic vests and medkits? That happens in real life.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

especially Big Oil's scientist.
I'm one of those people that find friendly fire to be pretty hysterical in games. But even then, Payday is so much fun to play 'straight' that I have never really wanted friendly fire in it. But the one time some colossal ball gargler shot that scientist on Big Oil 2 I wanted to destroy his mind and burn his body, because it was one of the few times the scientist was out of the lab, and we could've gotten like 2-3 minutes of no police assault out of tying him down and shoving him into a bathroom.

gently caress.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Psion posted:

from my experience doing them, you really need:
two C4 guys
at least one saw guy
one masterforcer (can also be saw guy)

Each C4 guy picks the left or the right side of a truck. You blow a truck as fast as you can, saw guy sprints in to start sawing boxes. While they're doing that, blow the second and (optionally) a third. They won't have time to saw as quickly as you can blow doors but the goal is getting the minimum bags out before the assault really ramps up. This is hard. More likely you'll get 2-3 and you have to immediately hole up, survive the assault, then quickly go out while it's fading and saw the second/third truck until you get the required bags. Take them and leave.

so basically some of it is RNG bag spawning, most of it is just going very, very fast.
Hmmm, we were getting stopped in the street even with C4 and saw on three separate people. Might have been that each C4 user went to their own truck.

Watch us finally finish Crossroads and get the train heist.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

Hmmm, we were getting stopped in the street even with C4 and saw on three separate people. Might have been that each C4 user went to their own truck.

Watch us finally finish Crossroads and get the train heist.

Three and three is wasteful, and three trucks is basically suicide. Only one person should have a saw, two with Shaped Charges.

Two people should rush in, blow the trucks open. Saw guy starts opening boxes, everyone else focuses on defending and grabbing bags.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
IME, the only Transport map you need to be absolutely coordinated on to get everything stowed away as fast as possible is Crossroads, for obvious reasons. On everything else you have enough wiggle room that you can get away with one C4 user per truck.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Jesus, I reinstalled my game and now HoxHUD causes a CTD after the main menu, what the hell.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Jesus, I reinstalled my game and now HoxHUD causes a CTD after the main menu, what the hell.

If you're also using GoonHUD, you need to use the GoonHUD dll file instead of the HoxHud one. Otherwise the game will crash.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

IAmTheRad posted:

If you're also using GoonHUD, you need to use the GoonHUD dll file instead of the HoxHud one. Otherwise the game will crash.

Didn't help, unfortunately. Maybe it has something to do with my settings or something. Maybe I'll do a clean reinstall and cheat myself back to where I am or something, I dunno. I find it hard to play without the quality-of-life improvements of HoxHUD.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I saw this and had to share:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIXwQVFt8Ho

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
So there's only like 9 days left in the mysterious countdown, and still nobody has even the slightest idea what it's all about, huh? That kinda thing usually gets leaked somehow by now, and the audio reels (the ones I've listened to, anyways) are so cryptic that I don't see how they could be hinting at a game patch. Some of them are about increased violence in DC and stuff, sure, but some of them are about circumcision.

Personally? Given the title "what's next", and that it's the year anniversary of the game's release, I'm betting on an increased level cap and new skills. I doubt it'll be a heist, because it'd be lame to countdown to something they've already announced like it's a secret, and it must be something big, because OVK has learned to only tease and hype things the week of their release, for smaller stuff.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
It's an unannounced heist where we break into the Overkill headquarters to hack the machines and find out what the secret release is.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

I hope it has nothing to do with hackers.

I don't hack myself, but I have a few friends who have succumb to it one way or another.. If they punish hackers, I hope they only punish the people actively manipulating code. And no effect to everyone who just happens to be there.

It's quite childish to hack in the first place. When I ask them why they do it they have no idea, except they don't want to stop. Doesn't that take all the fun out of the game?

But running jewelry store solo rapid fire round 30 seconds per haul to farm infamy cards is okay.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Coolguye posted:

I'm one of those people that find friendly fire to be pretty hysterical in games. But even then, Payday is so much fun to play 'straight' that I have never really wanted friendly fire in it. But the one time some colossal ball gargler shot that scientist on Big Oil 2 I wanted to destroy his mind and burn his body, because it was one of the few times the scientist was out of the lab, and we could've gotten like 2-3 minutes of no police assault out of tying him down and shoving him into a bathroom.

gently caress.

The mission doesn't make any loving sense if you don't shoot him, though. He can just build another fusion engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
He can make another engine, but it's already been patented by Big Oil (TM) with prior art in the form of a working engine!

• Locked thread