Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haakman
May 5, 2011
London is bloody horrible and should be, as I have often said in this thread, nuked from orbit just to be sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

haakman posted:

London is bloody horrible and should be, as I have often said in this thread, nuked from orbit just to be sure.

Closet UKIP voter spotted.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

EmptyVessel posted:

The obscenely rich don't live in the property they own in London. They just have it for bragging rights or something equally dumb.

Yeah the well and truly rich use London property as a parking lot for funds.

I_Socom posted:

Tell me more?

Generally recruiters will badger you on linkedin if your CV fits.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

coffeetable posted:

You're right that Living in London's a lot more expensive than the rest of the country, but if you've got juuust the right intersection of software dev skills, the pay is obscene and beats the increased costs by e: enough to get this thread in a tizzy.

Well yes you can live wherever the gently caress you want on several hundred a day, I don't understand what this has to do with anything. The point is that living in London is entirely optional in most jobs.

haakman
May 5, 2011

I live in a rural location as well, whilst commuting to urbanised Essex. All the signs are pointing one way...!

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

I_Socom posted:

Tell me more?
A good degree in maths. Or physics/engineering, probably, but that's outside of my experience.

e: There's other stuff like "some programming experience" and "an interest in the kinds of math that can be monetized" and "can function in a research environment", but the barrier to entry is the degree.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 5, 2014

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Alecto posted:

I agree with you that the 'permanent Tory majority' line that is thrown around is annoying and wrong, but, what you've said is also quite wrong. Without Scotland, there would've been no Labour majority and they'd have lost ground on the Conservatives in October 1974, 1964, 1950 and would've fallen behind the Tories in February 1974. Perhaps in all these cases there still would've been a Labour PM, but a majority vs a minority/coalition hugely changes what a government goes on to do, and at least in February '64 it's 50/50 that the Conservatives would've retained power. Your whole line is also a little misleading in that before Thatcher Scotland didn't vote how it does now. In those elections there was a ~19 seat lead of Labour over the Tories in Scotland, whereas now it's consistently 40+. The absence of that sort of margin would've changed a whole lot of results, including most probably of the upcoming election.

Obviously if Scotland leaves then Labour will just move to the right and/or majorly re-brand to pick up more southern votes. There will never be anything near a permanent majority for a UK party. It's also not really an independence issue imo; you're running a country not an electoral charity, do whatever's best for you!

I'm sorry, he should have said, Scotland's had no significant impact in the chosen government for the UK except for those rare occasions where England couldn't quite make it's mind up about which bastards should rule us all.

The fact that if the majority of England want something in Westminster, then Scotland has to put up with it is totally ridiculous.

Alecto
Feb 11, 2014

Kin posted:

I'm sorry, he should have said, Scotland's had no significant impact in the chosen government for the UK except for those rare occasions where England couldn't quite make it's mind up about which bastards should rule us all.

The fact that if the majority of England want something in Westminster, then Scotland has to put up with it is totally ridiculous.

That sounds more like an argument against democracy to me. Which is fine, but not what the referendum's on.

Merely pointing out that often the hugely factually incorrect argument pushed around by the English 'left' that Scotland has some sort of duty to protect the North, Midlands and Wales from eternal Tory rule is often responded with the slightly factually incorrect argument that Scotland is always entirely electorally irrelevant. Given that the independence side is right on this issue, it might be a better tactic to avoid the territory of factually incorrect altogether. But I'm just an annoying dick from Yorkshire so I'll stfu now.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

mfcrocker posted:

Well yes you can live wherever the gently caress you want on several hundred a day, I don't understand what this has to do with anything. The point is that living in London is entirely optional in most jobs.

No the point is that it's not; there aren't many jobs outside of London that are worth taking. This is a problem solved by government incentives to have companies move out of London, and is slowly happening due to the fact that inner London is crazy expensive to be in.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Malcolm XML posted:

No the point is that it's not; there aren't many jobs outside of London that are worth taking. This is a problem solved by government incentives to have companies move out of London, and is slowly happening due to the fact that inner London is crazy expensive to be in.

Define "worth taking".

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Malcolm XML posted:

No the point is that it's not; there aren't many jobs outside of London that are worth taking.

Well this is quite a statement.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Malcolm XML posted:

No the point is that it's not; there aren't many jobs outside of London that are worth taking.

Well okay then.

e: beaten horrendously

haakman
May 5, 2011
Why yes flaps, it is. I should probably get on with telling everyone in Suffolk (apart from dogfucker) that their jobs aren't worth doing.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

Define "worth taking".

Something to do with being paid vast sums of money, and nothing else.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

neck face posted:

Here's a little online 'game' that some of you might find interesting — http://playspent.org

It's attempting to illustrate how difficult it is to live on the breadline in America while you try and make it through a month. I got fired after union talk :(

Pfft, I made it through the month. All you have to do is refuse to join a union, avoid paying your bills, deny your child any treats, and skip your grandad's funeral. Really it's peoples own fault they're in poverty :smuggo:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
To be fair, a funeral is an unnecessary luxury. It's basically a party for someone who doesn't even make the effort to enjoy it.

neck face
Mar 13, 2009

closed casket

winegums posted:

Pfft, I made it through the month. All you have to do is refuse to join a union, avoid paying your bills, deny your child any treats, and skip your grandad's funeral. Really it's peoples own fault they're in poverty :smuggo:

I didn't say I didn't make it though the month after getting fired, it's remarkably easy to make a virtual person live like total crap to see them to the end of the month!

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

KKKlean Energy posted:

To be fair, a funeral is an unnecessary luxury. It's basically a party for someone who doesn't even make the effort to enjoy it.

I realise you're making a joke but...

It's all entirely too expensive and basically a massive scam from coffins to gravestones.

My mum's funeral, way back in 1986, cost thousands, and that was just with a really basic coffin, cemetery plot, RC church service, hearse plus one car and gravestone. My dad was paying it back for ages.

Car Stranger
Feb 16, 2005

When I'm dead, just throw me in the trash.

Is the STV site being useless for anyone else?

E: loving finally, only 25 minutes in. Grats ITV.

Car Stranger fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 5, 2014

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

neck face posted:

Here's a little online 'game' that some of you might find interesting — http://playspent.org

It's attempting to illustrate how difficult it is to live on the breadline in America while you try and make it through a month. I got fired after union talk :(

Over the space of one month in the game, my granddad died, I had an unforeseen car inspection, 2 unforeseen bills, some kid broke my window, my pay got halved, and I needed a root canal. Presumably I spent the entirety of the preceding month walking under ladders and kicking black cats out of my way. I get the point they're making and it's a good one, but ridiculous hyperbole doesn't help their cause.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

LemonDrizzle posted:

Over the space of one month in the game, my granddad died, I had an unforeseen car inspection, 2 unforeseen bills, some kid broke my window, my pay got halved, and I needed a root canal. Presumably I spent the entirety of the preceding month walking under ladders and kicking black cats out of my way. I get the point they're making and it's a good one, but ridiculous hyperbole doesn't help their cause.

Is this game a UKMT post generator?

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
You're traveling home from work when you suffer a sudden bout of stomach pains. You notice the toilet costs 1 dollar to use.

>Pay $1 for public toilet
>Find nearest train station

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Car Stranger posted:

When I'm dead, just throw me in the trash.

Just die in such a way as to make your corpse either valuable (mummify yourself as part of your Turner Prize winning art installation), dangerous (spend your final days licking corpses in Liberia/seriously pissing off Putin), evidence in a serious crime (it's almost conference season), unrecoverable (take up cross Atlantic windsurfing, climb Everest nude without oxygen, free dive Loch Ness handcuffed to an Austin Allegro) or non-existent (it's almost conference season).

Or donate your body to science.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Fingerless Gloves posted:

You're traveling home from work when you suffer a sudden bout of stomach pains. You notice the toilet costs 1 dollar to use.

>Pay $1 for public toilet
>Find nearest train station

Like you'd find either in america

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

freebooter posted:

It's a media monkey job. Requires a few months training and I do have a few years experience, so if I really made a fuss I doubt they'd let me go rather than not pay me an advance, but I don't really want to get off on the wrong foot when I've just moved here and really need this job security. Anyway my manager is talking to HR so hopefully I can get something.

I'm a media jerk too, having worked in a fair few places in London, in pre/post-prod and broadcast, you are being hosed with. Every company I've worked for has paid monthly via bacs transfer, even to the runners.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

HortonNash posted:

Or donate your body to science.

Unfortunately this also requires you to die in certain ways. My mother wanted to do it, but cancer in the bones makes you an undesirable corpse, it seems.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

neck face posted:

Went bust on the last day after the landlord randomly jacked up the rent and I didn't get the option to beat the poo poo out of him.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Well this is quite a statement.

Cool I totally want to take a 75% paycut to do a job with worse career prospects so that I can live in the sticks with a lower cost of living! (Yes I've been offered these)

The good jobs outside London are few and far between, and pay nonlinearly less.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

london's pretty cool i have 3 nandos within <10 mins of my flat

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Beyond the M25 we just run naked into the bushes and catch our own chickens, then eat them raw (with peri-peri sauce of course)

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

you can't get unlimited coke zero refills with that. must be awful.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Beyond the M25 we just run naked into the bushes and catch our own chickens, then eat them raw (with peri-peri sauce of course)

But then they're not Halalislamic, so what do the white people complain about?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Southerners.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
I was in London for a day before I headed off on my holiday to Japan and London is nice in the sense that there is poo poo to do and plenty of entertainment and such, but the underground is hell on earth, London prices for just about everything can get to gently caress and just walking around London you feel like you're holding everyone else up from the place everyone needs to be at immediately. London people need to slow down a little.

I am now back in Dundee and loving the Nandos 30 seconds from my door, my job which is ten minutes stress free* walk away and the fact that you can walk through a reasonably crowded place without everyone being arms and elbows barging past you. I'm no fan of the countryside but I thought I liked big cities until I went to london.

*mind the seagulls.

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Aug 6, 2014

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Interesting. Watched two BBC documentaries tonight, different channels, 2 and 4, but both have focused on James I uniting the isles, and creating GRATED BRAITAIN. Makes you think.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

KayTee posted:

HuffPo

Muslim issues.

VVV

:airquote:

Sounds like this has actually rattled the tories actually. gently caress you Warsi for everything else but this

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

nuzak posted:

Sounds like this has actually rattled the tories actually. gently caress you Warsi for everything else but this

Yeah, it's basically the only good thing she's ever done (hilarious that it's quitting)

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
UKMT August '14 - Life Choice Wars

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I don't really know who Warsi is or what she's done. Can the thread give me a summary in 15 words and an emoticon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
London is fun if you are a tourist or rich. If I wanted to live in a theme park however I would chose Legoland.

• Locked thread