Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I lived in the UK for a couple of years and people do drink a lot of tea over there, to be sure. I dunno how it is these days, but it was rare to be offered "a coffee" when visiting pals during my time there. Whereas most everyone you'd visit would ask if you'd like a nice cup of tea. :)

On the street it's all coffee shops. They all do tea as well, but it's very much a side thing, so yeah, coffee shops selling largely espresso drinks..

In the home, I'd say it's more even/trending towards tea for now. Most people don't, by my reckoning have anything more than instant coffee in the house. French presses are fairly common, and I'd say drip coffee machines are rare in the house and more of a workplace thing.

Also, things are really starting to trend away from what I'd call tea and towards paper bags full of bark and dry grass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Get Yorkshire tea or Barry's Gold Blend. The latter is an Irish brand so it's expensive to buy outside of the Republic but either of those two brands is probably the best bagged tea you'll get.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Forums Terrorist posted:

Get Yorkshire tea or Barry's Gold Blend. The latter is an Irish brand so it's expensive to buy outside of the Republic but either of those two brands is probably the best bagged tea you'll get.

Yorkshire tea is what I normally get for tea, but I was actually referring for the massive turn to horrible herbal teas you cant even put milk into :)

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Oh, those. I thought you were making a crack about builder's tea. :v:

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
My old FLGS had (has) a bar with, inter alia, an excellent microbrew selection. I wish more game stores served alchohol although tbqh I'm clumsy enough when sober.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I can't imagine having to get a publican's license encourages FLGSs to do it since then you can't get the younger crowd in and have them blow their allowance on Magic.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Forums Terrorist posted:

I can't imagine having to get a publican's license encourages FLGSs to do it since then you can't get the younger crowd in and have them blow their allowance on Magic.

Depends on the demos of the store. Drink sales might edge out money from kids.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1807185846/draughts-londons-first-board-game-cafe

No idea if they will do wargames stuff, but seems fun regardless if you're in lahndon

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I was sober at my lgs once. It was awful.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Forums Terrorist posted:

One of the LGS's here has a bar with beer on tap and a bunch of bottles as well. I think (in the US or NC at least) kids can be on site unsupervised as long as there's no mixed drinks or some such. Nothing like tossing back some 7%+ beer while gaming and being halfway blitzed after a long day.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
What's Games Workshops credit rating? Quite honestly, that's the best and easiest way to judge their health. I can't find it online

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

The Gate posted:

One of the LGS's here has a bar with beer on tap and a bunch of bottles as well. I think (in the US or NC at least) kids can be on site unsupervised as long as there's no mixed drinks or some such. Nothing like tossing back some 7%+ beer while gaming and being halfway blitzed after a long day.

For the record, you and Sulecrist are referring to the exact same FLGS. For everyone else's reference, it's Atomic Empire, which also makes a lot of money selling comics and collectibles, and with its large webstore.

Also, it sometimes saddens me that I don't drink and hate the taste of beer, since that benefit is completely lost on me.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Paper Kaiju posted:

For the record, you and Sulecrist are referring to the exact same FLGS. For everyone else's reference, it's Atomic Empire, which also makes a lot of money selling comics and collectibles, and with its large webstore.

Also, it sometimes saddens me that I don't drink and hate the taste of beer, since that benefit is completely lost on me.

Yeah, it's a great shop and is run like an actual business instead of a side job/hobby, which is really nice (and sadly uncommon it seems like). But now I live in Cary and it's about a 25 minute drive away instead of the 5 minute drive to Gamer's Armory.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Depends on the demos of the store. Drink sales might edge out money from kids.

One of the LGS's that used to be around here was a combination pizza shop, liqueur store, and game shop. The pizza sales alone kept the place propped up, and the alcohol kept them profitable; the game side was purely a hobby as far as the owner was concerned, and never really sold a lot (but he loves gaming so it wasn't a problem for him).

Eventually he sold the place off to get back into school, and the new owner closed off the game side.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Wrong thread

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

The Gate posted:

Yeah, it's a great shop and is run like an actual business instead of a side job/hobby, which is really nice (and sadly uncommon it seems like). But now I live in Cary and it's about a 25 minute drive away instead of the 5 minute drive to Gamer's Armory.

It's the reverse for me, which kind of blows because pick-up games at AE are rather hit and miss, even on their open game nights (Basically, if you aren't part of gaming club organized outside of the store that uses it as free game space, good luck getting to actually play something). GA, on the other hand, has a great community for open gaming, I just hate having to take I-40 during rush hour to get there.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Watching 40K players in Tapout gear getting smashed and screaming at each other never gets old at AE.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Bringing us back to GW, and Warhammer Fantasy in particular, I remember that, as I was considering getting into the game, Daemons of Chaos and Vampire Counts got updates upset the crowd at my LGS, and they recommended I not buy an army until everything settled back down. I ended up playing Warmahordes instead, but was that fiasco ever resolved, or did it just get worse from there?

KobayashiMaru
Dec 10, 2013

Thundercracker posted:

What's Games Workshops credit rating? Quite honestly, that's the best and easiest way to judge their health. I can't find it online

Well, you might have found an actual number last edition. But since 6th they've switched over to a random credit score.

Just roll a D6 and consult the table below:

6: Score above 750
5: Score between 500 and 750
4: Score between 400 and 500
3: Score between 300 and 400
2: Score between 100 and 300
1: Death Mission

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

fool_of_sound posted:

Bringing us back to GW, and Warhammer Fantasy in particular, I remember that, as I was considering getting into the game, Daemons of Chaos and Vampire Counts got updates upset the crowd at my LGS, and they recommended I not buy an army until everything settled back down. I ended up playing Warmahordes instead, but was that fiasco ever resolved, or did it just get worse from there?

VC's latest update was incredibly good, and I've never seen anyone say otherwise. It's an excellent book and has been since it came out. DoC is pretty drat good. It's certainly not as hilariously broken as the last book, but it's not bad by any stretch. There were early concerns regarding the awkward BSB/general rules and how they didn't work between gods, but it hasn't seriously mattered.

In short there never was any sort of fiasco at all, anyone with a decent knowledge of 8th would have known this immediately upon reading the books.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

The Gate posted:

VC's latest update was incredibly good, and I've never seen anyone say otherwise. It's an excellent book and has been since it came out. DoC is pretty drat good. It's certainly not as hilariously broken as the last book, but it's not bad by any stretch. There were early concerns regarding the awkward BSB/general rules and how they didn't work between gods, but it hasn't seriously mattered.

In short there never was any sort of fiasco at all, anyone with a decent knowledge of 8th would have known this immediately upon reading the books.

Didn't 8e just come out? This was several years ago, probably 7e or 6e. Glad to hear 8e looks good though. I might see if I can pick up some discount models sometime, because I like the new sculpts a lot, and I've always liked the feel of moving troops around in formation.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

fool_of_sound posted:

Didn't 8e just come out? This was several years ago, probably 7e or 6e. Glad to hear 8e looks good though. I might see if I can pick up some discount models sometime, because I like the new sculpts a lot, and I've always liked the feel of moving troops around in formation.

You're thinking of 40k. Fantasy is still on 7th and has been for the past couple years.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
There was a lot of rage at the time because of how much they toned down VC and Daemons. Before their updates, and even 8th ed of fantasy, they were ridiculously powerful, yet boring armies to face. The entire change to the psychology system for example, was down to how abused their armies were.

People that played off of this got a little upset when it pulled the rug out from their feet and they had to come up with a tactic other than 'win combat by 1, and thus cause the opponent to auto flee because of being outnumbered by a fear causing enemy.'

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Business Gorillas posted:

You're thinking of 40k. Fantasy is still on 7th and has been for the past couple years.

Fantasy has been in 8th Ed for like, 4 years now, I think? People were expecting 9th this summer, but we got 40k 7th instead.

Edit: July 10th, 2010 was 8th's launch, so almost exactly 4 years.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Yeah I don't play Fantasy and even I know it's been on 8th for years... unless you're doing that thing where you pretend 8th doesn't exist, like how I pretend the first Matrix movie was the only one?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
GW closed down 3.5 points today. Downwards trending, but its not like the plummet we saw earlier in the year.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

The Gate posted:

Fantasy has been in 8th Ed for like, 4 years now, I think? People were expecting 9th this summer, but we got 40k 7th instead.

Edit: July 10th, 2010 was 8th's launch, so almost exactly 4 years.

I can't remember the different numbers of editions anymore :shrug:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Business Gorillas posted:

I can't remember the different numbers of editions anymore :shrug:

Well you're in luck, because as of 40k 7th they don't put the number on it anymore :v:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

BULBASAUR posted:

GW closed down 3.5 points today. Downwards trending, but its not like the plummet we saw earlier in the year.

How much is 3.5 points, relatively speaking? Compared to, say, the fluctuations upwards we've also seen at times since the announcement.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
Within normal parameters really. I don't see any share price changes coming through now so I suspect that investors are happy with Kirbys explanations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

NTRabbit posted:

Well you're in luck, because as of 40k 7th they don't put the number on it anymore :v:

They havent put a number on 40k in, well I want to say about 4 editions.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

serious gaylord posted:

The only edition I've owned is the 6th mini rulebook and it was invalidated by 7th before my UK buddy could post it to me, so I still don't have it :eng99:

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

serious gaylord posted:

There was a lot of rage at the time because of how much they toned down VC and Daemons. Before their updates, and even 8th ed of fantasy, they were ridiculously powerful, yet boring armies to face. The entire change to the psychology system for example, was down to how abused their armies were.

I'm under the impression that, before VC got their book update, they didn't fare too well in 8th. Something about the cap on power dice and a few other things making the whole army struggle, though I only really started playing VC when their new book came out so I'm not super knowledgeable about it (that and my memory is kinda foggy).

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Slimnoid posted:

I'm under the impression that, before VC got their book update, they didn't fare too well in 8th. Something about the cap on power dice and a few other things making the whole army struggle, though I only really started playing VC when their new book came out so I'm not super knowledgeable about it (that and my memory is kinda foggy).

This is true, the power dice thing did hit them, but the change to the leadership -> outnumber -> flee thing is what hit them the hardest.

petrol blue
Feb 9, 2013

sugar and spice
and
ethanol slammers

serious gaylord posted:

This edition is 40k. This edition has always been 40k.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

S.J. posted:

This is true, the power dice thing did hit them, but the change to the leadership -> outnumber -> flee thing is what hit them the hardest.

Yeah, the 7th ed book was only so-so in 8th, but when the new book hit it was really good right away. AFAIK there was never any "fiasco" when VC got it's new book, and the only one for Daemons was that it wasn't outright broken as gently caress anymore.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

The Gate posted:

Yeah, the 7th ed book was only so-so in 8th, but when the new book hit it was really good right away. AFAIK there was never any "fiasco" when VC got it's new book, and the only one for Daemons was that it wasn't outright broken as gently caress anymore.

Yeah, I remember being told that the (then) new releases of Vampires and Daemons were hideously broken, so I assume it was around the dawn of 7e.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

Yeah, I remember being told that the (then) new releases of Vampires and Daemons were hideously broken, so I assume it was around the dawn of 7e.

7e got the Batman Back Broken treatment with the 3-fold horror that was VC, Daemons, and Dark Elves. Of the three, Daemons was top-dog in terms of utter broken rules and army lists, with VC and DE vying for second.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

In 7th Vampires were really, really good but had some really hard counters amongst stuff that you saw in tournaments (one of them being Deamons which were the broken top dog almost every power gamer flocked to) so they never quite got to the point that Deamons (or certain Dark Elf lists) got to. 8th screwed them over initially since you were massively overpaying for fear and the new army requirements system was hard to work around since you only had two units that counted for core and they were both overpriced and awful. The new book fixed some of the issues I hear but I hated 8th so much combined with the local store reducing to a one man with only two tables I quit playing the game altogether so I'm not sure.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
And if anything should be overpowered, it should be these things:
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Vampire-Counts-Mortis-Engine
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Vampire-Counts-Coven-Throne
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Vampire-Lord-on-Zombie-Dragon
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Ghoul-King-on-Terrorgheist
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Vampire-Counts-Corpse-Cart
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Vampire-Counts-Tomb-Banshee
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Vampire-Counts-Cairn-Wraith
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Winged-Vampire-Lord

Fantasy is where they come closest to their delusions of grandeur in terms of performing. Those loving throne things are *incredible*. Tomb kings is almost as amazing. It's not just the tick-the-box bullshit of yesteryear where, yeah, there's a guy in armor, and the amount of spikes, wings, skulls, and plumes tell you whether its an elf, vampire, human, or chaos champion. Have you seen their mummified nagas?

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Tomb-Kings-Necropolis-Knights

55 bucks for 3 of those guys? That seems kind of ok to me. Like really ok. Like I'm almost on the edge of thinking it's some kind of deal. Though they're probably smaller than I assume. There's this giant sphinx monster thing... it has like a choice of heads.

Some elements of their range are *crazily* ahead of others.

Like look at this poo poo:
http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/High-Elf-Prince-Imrik-Dragonlord

That rear end in a top hat has been on the *Same* floppy dragon with its paws askew like a toddler since I was 11 years old. Some time in the late cretaceous period. Sure the rider was rescuplted, but that isn't anything but a dumb man in armor with 80s hair. Who cares. It's nothing compared to that unbelievable vampire and tomb king stuff. Some people like ogres, but as far as I think, it's a way to sell a fat pile of poo poo instead of 4 separate soldiers--which is easier to mass produce. I know some people love those things, but I think they're ugly unnuanced, and honestly, a little weird. Cannibal mongol obese guys. I don't know.

I've lost track of my point.

• Locked thread