Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chamberk posted:

It's cool man, my wife likes those books a lot so I've already seen the first episode of the show. It is not good.

Ask your wife what "that scene" is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

zoux posted:

Ask your wife what "that scene" is.

Oh, it's most certainly when the male lead is captured, beaten and raped by a gay villain, but I bet that's gonna be later in the season.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Tuxedo Jack posted:

After hearing what you guys have to say about the Leftovers, does anyone know how well it's doing? Especially compared to HBO's other shows?

I don't imagine I could give it another go unless they dove deep into the reasons why those people disappeared, and even then, I'm not sure I'd want to drudge through the mopey stuff. The premise is super-interesting, but the story they chose to tell in this world is not.

It's getting around 1.5-1.7 million viewers per episode, which is quite a bit less than the "hit" shows (Game of Thrones, True Blood, True Detective) get, but a lot more than Girl, Louie (on FX, obviously), Veep or Looking get. Then again, at least Louie is dirt cheap to make, so I don't know if HBO can live with it.

Just to put things into perspective: the reaction on these forums here has been a hell of a lot worse than it's been in other places. Critical response to the show has been pretty good (especially for episode 3 and 6). As a matter of fact, there are a few people around here, including me, who enjoy the show very much. I'd just rather kill myself than venture into that thread again.

And actually I completely disagree with part of what you're saying. I think the story (or stories) they chose to tell is what makes me interested in the show.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 5, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DominoDancing posted:

Just to put things into perspective: the reaction on these forums here has been a hell of a lot worse than it's been in other places. C

Whoops! You accidentally posted the TVIV mission statement.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

DominoDancing posted:

It's getting around 1.5-1.7 million viewers per episode, which is quite a bit less than the "hit" shows (Game of Thrones, True Blood, True Detective) get, but a lot more than Girl, Louie, Veep or Looking get. Then again, at least Louie is dirt cheap to make, so I don't know if HBO can live with it.

Just to put things into perspective: the reaction on these forums here has been a hell of a lot worse than it's been in other places. Critical response to the show has been pretty good (especially for episode 3 and 6). As a matter of fact, there are a few people around here, including me, who enjoy the show very much. I'd just rather kill myself than venture into that thread again.

And actually I completely disagree with part of what you're saying. I think the story (or stories) they chose to tell is what makes me interested in the show.

Having only seen the first episode, the thing that bugs me is why are all these people freaking out because 2% of the population disappeared? I lived in a relatively small town when I was in high school, and if 2% of the population up and disappeared, I'm not sure I would have noticed if it wasn't someone I directly knew, but even then, people mourn and then move on.

The science/spiritual aspects are interesting, but what the gently caress, it's been three years, move on.

I don't know. The premise is interesting, but the reactions people have, and the way they act three years later, just seems completely weird and stupid. Then again, Lindelof.

That's probably the last I'll say about the show. I'm not going to watch anymore of it. Sorry for the derail.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

DominoDancing posted:

It's getting around 1.5-1.7 million viewers per episode, which is quite a bit less than the "hit" shows (Game of Thrones, True Blood, True Detective) get, but a lot more than Girl, Louie, Veep or Looking get. Then again, at least Louie is dirt cheap to make, so I don't know if HBO can live with it.

Louie isn't an HBO show

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

less laughter posted:

Louie isn't an HBO show

Yep, that was pretty stupid.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lucky Louie was.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I don't think anyone watched that either.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Having only seen the first episode, the thing that bugs me is why are all these people freaking out because 2% of the population disappeared? I lived in a relatively small town when I was in high school, and if 2% of the population up and disappeared, I'm not sure I would have noticed if it wasn't someone I directly knew, but even then, people mourn and then move on.

The science/spiritual aspects are interesting, but what the gently caress, it's been three years, move on.

Imagine you had a stomachache and your doctor can't figure out what's causing it. He's ruled out appendicitis, gall bladder, pancreatitis, cancer. He's never seen this before. None of his colleagues have ever seen it before. Nobody you talk to has seen it before. And it keeps getting worse and worse. You're hospitalized. You're hooked up to what seems like every machine they have in the hospital while you continue to deteriorate. At one point a priest (let's assume you belong to a Christian faith) comes by and administers last rites. The week becomes a blur. Doctors still don't know why you're dying.

And then one day you wake up fresh as a daisy.

Do you simply accept that whatever happened to you passed? Do your doctors?

As a species, we crave an order to The Universe. Many throw their lot in with science, many others with religion, still others with a mix of both. The Leftovers is about what happens when The Universe tells us "gently caress your science, and gently caress your religion" in a way that has ramifications both personal and sociological.

That might sound pretentious. That's fair. That might sound interesting, but you don't give a poo poo about the characters themselves. Also fair. But if you're lost as to why the premise is such a big deal, well, that's the best way I know how to explain it.

And Occ can yammer on all he'd like about how the cults are "realistic." I don't give a crispy poo poo about realism. Nobody loving knows what would be realistic in a situation like this. The show has my attention and I like what it's showing me. That's what matters.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I've never watched Dexter but technically the final (worst) season of The L Word aired (roughly) in the last 5 years and I feel pretty confident in saying that it was probably worse than Dexter.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But still better than The Leftovers, right?

DP selling the premise so well above makes me even more annoyed that they're loving up the execution so badly

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I don't think you're living in the same world I am. 2% of the population is a really big number of people. Only the most sheltered dumbass hillbillies would just shake their head and move on from that, and even then I'm sure all the preachers would be going bananas and using it as an excuse to hypercharge religion. It would be seen by some as proof positive of God, by some as proof positive of aliens or the Illuminati or WHATEVER, I mean... like, it took many many years for the average person to more or less "forget" 9/11 and that was a pretty straightforward thing compared to millions of people disappearing into thin air.

If anything else I'd think something like that would just completely gently caress up society for a decade or more.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Yup, no matter what your opinion on The Leftovers, all the "2%? That's just like six people from your Facebook feed!" comments are utterly stupid.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Junkenstein posted:

Yup, no matter what your opinion on The Leftovers, all the "2%? That's just like six people from your Facebook feed!" comments are utterly stupid.
This is because you addressing people from the Something Awful forums and obviously have no sense of scale if 140 million people is 'nothing'.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

xeria posted:

I've never watched Dexter but technically the final (worst) season of The L Word aired (roughly) in the last 5 years and I feel pretty confident in saying that it was probably worse than Dexter.

The final season of The L Word was dire but it wasn't close to being as bad as Dexter's final season.

If you're looking for something worse than Dexter we have two shows ending in the coming season that have the potential: Sons of Anarchy and Glee.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

xeria posted:

I'll raise you the last three years of Weeds and Entourage after Season 2.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Unless the lesbians of The L Word all became lumberjacks, it ain't got poo poo on Dexter.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

CPFortest posted:

I'll raise you the last three years of Weeds and Entourage after Season 2.

I keep telling people Dexter's last season was the first time I ever quit watching a show mid-season, but that's because I always forget about Entourage's last season

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Slamhound posted:

Unless the lesbians of The L Word all became lumberjacks, it ain't got poo poo on Dexter.

There was a lot of flannel...

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
100,000+ people died in a Tsunami less than a decade ago. People move on.

I just don't get it. Sorry.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but we know how that happened? It was drowning and poo poo? Not "they were just gone"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well CNN just spent a straight month on a plane that vanished so what would they do if 70 million people just up and disappeared.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

timp posted:

I keep telling people Dexter's last season was the first time I ever quit watching a show mid-season, but that's because I always forget about Entourage's last season

I feel that Entourage had a worse final season than Dexter because at the very least Dexter resolved the journeys of the characters, despite how awful it was. Entourage had an abbreviated final season that ignored the elements that made up the core of the show, and left the actual series ending for a movie that no one wants to see and will probably never come out as well.

I should make it clear though that I don't think that Entourage was ever a show worth venerating, but I feel that its downward slope led to a worse place than Dexter's downward slope did, which was also godawful.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Tonight on CNN: "Tsunamis: How Do They Work?"

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Science can explain a tsunami. Religion can help make sense of the devastation it wreaks. Science can then help us prepare for the next one. That's why people "move on."

Neither science nor religion have anything for "120 million people disappear overnight, they may as well be dead but we don't know either way." Nobody has any right answer for how to cope with it and it is loving people up.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Tuxedo Jack posted:

A tsunami is a known, explainable event. Someone in the Leftovers thread mentioned a relative whose baby was stolen from the hospital nursery and how that stayed with her her whole life, affecting her more deeply than even the death of other relatives. Not knowing, always trying to imagine what could or should have been is deeply affecting. When that not knowing is compounded by the event being literally impossible, it can easily drive you crazy.

Or you can take up smoking and hulk-smash a toaster for eating your bagel.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

People disappearing is proof of a higher power. Or aliens.

Something game changing.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Fateo McMurray posted:

Manhattan is better than The Strain and The Leftovers combined. Too bad most people don't get/have no idea what WGN is.
Or they watched Salem and decided to not give WGN another chance.

FilthyImp posted:

Scientifically Accurate (X) was good from day one. They had some pretty decent ones (Captain America Statistics).

It scratched my Liquid TV itch. Though it relied a bit on nerdy humor.

I think the biggest problem was launching with High School USA. That's a show that was just uneven enough to put people off. Plus, the block would have needed a while to establish itself (and unlike AS, didn't have the luxury of acquiring third-party stuff to bolster itself).
We got Scientifically Accurate Ducktales and Accurate Captain America. Axe Cop was okay when it wasn't advertising the Xbox One every 15 minutes. Was anything else worth a drat?

zoux posted:

The Event. Or Heroes post s1. The Cape. Help I thought about NBC and now I can't stop listing terrible dramas. My Own Worst Enemy!
The Cape was fantastic.

I'm starting to think that as much as I love Keith David, he is poison to any show he is a regular in.

The Event deserves credit for being the one Lost-wannabe show that promised something huge and delivered on it, and even if what it delivered was hilariously bad it was pretty unexpected.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

CPFortest posted:

I feel that Entourage had a worse final season than Dexter because at the very least Dexter resolved the journeys of the characters, despite how awful it was. Entourage had an abbreviated final season that ignored the elements that made up the core of the show, and left the actual series ending for a movie that no one wants to see and will probably never come out as well.

I should make it clear though that I don't think that Entourage was ever a show worth venerating, but I feel that its downward slope led to a worse place than Dexter's downward slope did, which was also godawful.

Entourage crashed so hard it's impressive. It's one of the worst written shows with so many seasons.

But it gave us Aquaman and the Funny or Die parody.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

zoux posted:

The Event. Or Heroes post s1. The Cape. Help I thought about NBC and now I can't stop listing terrible dramas. My Own Worst Enemy!

No Ordinary Family. The Cape was bad but NOF was worse because it was bad and boring.

zoux posted:

Whoops! You accidentally posted the TVIV mission statement.

And the TVIV motto:

quote:

I'd just rather kill myself than venture into that thread again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Flashforward ended up being really drat good after being mostly incredibly boring for an entire half season. Kind of the opposite of The Ev3nt which actually did start kind of strong.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

raditts posted:

No Ordinary Family. The Cape was bad but NOF was worse because it was bad and boring.

And the TVIV motto:

No Ordinary Family was boring because every episode they would learn about being more open to each other and then instantly back the next.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I've been watching Extras for the first time and after seeing Derek first, I'm starting to like Gervais again. It's a great show.

Derek is such a misguided disaster.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 5, 2014

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

VDay posted:

I also started watching Longmire and binged through the first season last week. I'm liking it so far and regret not getting into it from the beginning, although in my defense I saw one of those pre-trailer promos in a movie theater that made it look like some kind of cheesy cowboy drama and completely turned me off from checking it out until now. There are occasional rough spots (the number of times the super honorable, old-fashioned sheriff breaks the law For The Right Reason™ is kind of silly) and the main dude sometimes makes Raylan Givens look like a wall street banker by comparison, but I really like most of the character dynamics and the stuff with the reservation police force and politics is interesting without being too heavy-handed.

And I wish Peter Weller would show up in and direct episodes of every show I watch. That dude continues to be loving awesome.

Season 3 is loving brutal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Good brutal or bad brutal?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bown posted:

What's the worst drama of the past 5 years? The Leftovers is worse than that one.

Is Glee a drama?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

IRQ posted:

Is Glee a drama?

It depends on if you say "drama" in an offensive stereotype voice or not.

Fake edit: It seems to think it is, except when it's a comedy. Basically you can chart what Ryan Murphy's mood was a few months ago by watching Glee.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

bobkatt013 posted:

Season 2 had some great episodes, and even season one had a couple.

There's a good episode here and there in every season, but it's like finding a low quality diamond after wading through a garbage heap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

IRQ posted:

Is Glee a drama?

It's a dramedy :jerkbag:

• Locked thread